How much is this worth? (Need advice)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2019 5:28 AM

I found a 1992 RM125 not far from me. It’s the bike I dreamed of and have always wanted as a collectors item to restore. It still runs and sounds oddly clean from the video the guy sent to me.

I’m not an expert of vintage worth and I know some of it is ‘what someone is willing to pay’

But help me get a ballpark ???

|

9/11/2019 5:32 AM

My guess is around tree fiddy ....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

9/11/2019 5:35 AM

It's a 2 stroke so it the most incredible bike ever produced so about $1300.00 LOLOL

|

9/11/2019 5:37 AM

Frame has been painted? Looks white...If it runs good and feels tight, indicating lower hrs, I would say around 1200.00 would be a good deal. If it was more original, proper yellow frame, mostly original/stock parts, upwards of 1500-1800, super clan & original, like with original tires, chain & sprockets, indicating very low hrs, 1800-2500+just my opinion.

|

9/11/2019 5:54 AM

Check vin to make sure it is indeed the year you are looking for.

|

9/11/2019 6:01 AM

Given that it has been taken apart and frame painted that significantly drops the value in my eyes. Not completely because frame painted wrong color, but because it means someone has turned all the bolts on it, stripped some out, possibly lost stuff, put back together wrong, etc. Chances are someone has been in the motor also as it looks like a rider to me.

Bikes always look better in pictures. This one doesn't look that great in pics, so....

To me that is a 600-800 dollar bike as it sits. Well...unless they include that trick triangle stand....then you are talking big money! LOL.

|

9/11/2019 6:07 AM

That was one of the years Suzuki was junk

|

9/11/2019 6:08 AM

The Monster claw sticker ups the value considerably.

Ok, seriously, you didn't give enough information for me to decide on a reasonable offer.

|

I have so many down votes my down votes have their own down votes.

9/11/2019 6:14 AM

MXVet261 wrote:

Given that it has been taken apart and frame painted that significantly drops the value in my eyes. Not completely because frame painted wrong color, but because it means someone has turned all the bolts on it, stripped some out, possibly lost stuff, put back together wrong, etc. Chances are someone has been in the motor also as it looks like a rider to me.

Bikes always look better in pictures. This one doesn't look that great in pics, so....

To me that is a 600-800 dollar bike as it sits. Well...unless they include that trick triangle stand....then you are talking big money! LOL.

It’s almost 30 years old. Of course it’s been taken apart. There’s not many left in this condition, even if it’s not perfect. I’d say it’s worth at least $1000 if it runs and rides, possibly more if it mainly only needs cosmetic repairs.

|

9/11/2019 6:15 AM

It's a 92. I wouldn't be too worried about what has or hasn't been done to it, if you're buying it for a restoration. If it runs and everything appears to be there, 800 would be the top for me. Looks to be in decent shape, from the pictures.

|

9/11/2019 6:18 AM

I have a bit of a different take. While I agree that having the frame painted a "custom" color is a negative and could be an indicator of other issues, the bike looks like all the bits and pieces are there and would be a good foundation for a resto. Assessments of that not being that model's best year aside, if that's the one you like, that's your call.

Give it a good look-see. Look under the bike- examine for signs of frame damage covered by paint. Maybe the owner just decided to give it a different look one winter. Maybe he had the frame welded back together and had to cover the burned off paint. Look for general maintenance signals- leaks, odd hardware, tight wheel bearings, worn out wear parts, mis-routed cables/wires, etc. How's the air filter? Have him pull the seat and tank.

If all that checks out, and you could get it for $1300 to $1500, I'd say you got a good deal.

|

9/11/2019 6:20 AM

I stalk bike listings like it's my job... my input? $1100 would be about right / good deal. $1200 is pretty realistic. Anything over $1300 is a bit of a stretch. What's he asking???

Here are a few comp values for you...

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/reno-1992-rm-125-and-each/6968062199.html

https://williamsport.craigslist.org/mcy/d/danville-92-rm-125/6968494502.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/d/garden-city-1992-suzuki-rm-yamaha-yz-85/6972396770.html

|

9/11/2019 7:55 AM

$800-$1000. I've been looking for a '89 or '90 RM125. Missed out on a couple that went for around $800 in that shape (saw the ad too late or further than I wanted to drive).

|

9/11/2019 7:59 AM

I'm sure it was the MXA 125 shootout winner in 92

|

suzuki tc

9/11/2019 9:55 AM

I scan the for sale ads every morning, if you are patient, you can find some very low hr bikes out there. In the last 2 years I have bought 4, 90”s era bikes that cannot have more than 10 hrs on them each. After doing a number of full resto”s, I only look at bikes that appear to be very low hr and original. When those bikes do pop up for sale, you have to act fast....they usually don’t last long. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and just go look at the bike, Photos can be deceiving.

|

9/11/2019 9:55 AM

Have him show you the RMfax

|

Last gear pinned.

9/11/2019 10:09 AM

i just don't have a clue what the designers was smoking when the made up the color scheme..

|

9/11/2019 10:09 AM

800-1000. Not a penny more

|

9/11/2019 10:59 AM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

It’s almost 30 years old. Of course it’s been taken apart. There’s not many left in this condition, even if it’s not perfect. I’d say it’s worth at least $1000 if it runs and rides, possibly more if it mainly only needs cosmetic repairs.

You clearly have not spent much time looking for older bikes. There are a lot of gems out there that have not been jacked with at all and are all original, low hour. You just have to keep your eyes peeled for them.

Some of my best ever low hour original scores have showed up for sale less than 30 minutes from my house.

|