How much does KRoc's Factory Honda weight, who has the proof?

kylemenz1
Fantasy
933rd
3/1/2020 7:26pm
I don’t think hitting the minimum is as important as it was with 2 strokes. Having a light bike obviously helps with fatigue and handling, but back in the day when being able to make the triple was the difference between wining and losing bike weight was very important.
Momus
3/1/2020 9:41pm
I think we'd be surprised to know they aren't too far from standard. A bit, but not as much as you might think. Ok, they've saved...
I think we'd be surprised to know they aren't too far from standard. A bit, but not as much as you might think. Ok, they've saved weight in X,Y,Z areas, but then they've added skid plates, 'protectors', oil coolers, data collection tools etc. etc.

Would they be running three, maybe even two speed gearboxes in SX?? In all the Go Pro vids I watch now, I take note of gear changes and there doesn't seem to be many.

Have you ever held a pair of those gears in your hand? They're weighty...
Lighter fly-wheels for faster revving? Maybe another rider prefers a heavier flywheel??

All that. Definitely in the GP bikes. The Dixon Kawasaki's have run 3 speed boxes in their 250's. Who knows how much mechanical stuff goes on- in the day we organised lightweight but high inertia cranks- but modern EFI and really high compression ratios allow for remarkable things.
3/1/2020 10:14pm
you'd be surprised how much weight can be cut with just bolts. swing arm and suspension bolts in TI can save a whole lot just on...
you'd be surprised how much weight can be cut with just bolts.

swing arm and suspension bolts in TI can save a whole lot just on its own.
then you through in hubs, pipes, engine cases, internals fork lugs etc... there is a lot of weight to be saved.

A few pounds, yes. 20 pounds, no.
keinz
3/2/2020 12:50am
About 2,5 mil per year

The Shop

Ray_MXS
3/2/2020 2:22am
Nuffsaid wrote:
The new Hondas are single muffler. Gotta watch the GPs to keep up with news, otherwise you’re a season behind
MXVet261 wrote:
Uhhhh, wasn't this thread about Ken Roczen's bike? He rides...you know, in the USA for Honda and not the GPs. And I'm pretty sure I just...
Uhhhh, wasn't this thread about Ken Roczen's bike? He rides...you know, in the USA for Honda and not the GPs. And I'm pretty sure I just watched the Atlanta SX and he did in fact still have twice pipes....LOL
Nuffsaid wrote:
Like I stated, he’ll be on Gajsers and Evans bike model next year
You know full well that the question wasnt about how much the bike is gonna weigh next year, its about how much it weighs right now.

You´re just trying to be a smartass and failing miserably.
ATKpilot99
3/2/2020 3:54am
MXVet261 wrote:
Uhhhh, wasn't this thread about Ken Roczen's bike? He rides...you know, in the USA for Honda and not the GPs. And I'm pretty sure I just...
Uhhhh, wasn't this thread about Ken Roczen's bike? He rides...you know, in the USA for Honda and not the GPs. And I'm pretty sure I just watched the Atlanta SX and he did in fact still have twice pipes....LOL
Nuffsaid wrote:
Like I stated, he’ll be on Gajsers and Evans bike model next year
Ray_MXS wrote:
You know full well that the question wasnt about how much the bike is gonna weigh next year, its about how much it weighs right now...
You know full well that the question wasnt about how much the bike is gonna weigh next year, its about how much it weighs right now.

You´re just trying to be a smartass and failing miserably.
It's his MO . Has been for years under several user names.
3/2/2020 4:13am
We somehow got into tech inspection at Mxdn at redbud when they were weighing bikes, wish I remembered now lol
AH387
3/2/2020 12:19pm
FWIW, when he raced for Suzuki they confirmed that the bike was actually not that close to minimum weight. And they basically said that with how the bike is, just stripping weight everywhere is not possible and actually upset the balance of the bike. So considering the stock Honda is on the heavy side, I don't think it's at or close to minimum, but I could be wrong.

Here is part of what I mentioned about Roczen's RMZ, if this helps the debate at all:
When we mentioned the 240-pound weight of a stock RM-Z450 to Kyle Bentley, he said that lightening the bike sometimes upsets the chassis, and with the new technology, they actually have to detune the engine (for the full-race spec). Thus, they never worried about weight that much. Their focus was on feel. Suffice it to say that Ken’s bike doesn’t weigh 240 pounds like the stock RM-Z450, but it isn’t the lightest bike on the track (regardless of how much unobtainium they throw at it). We were surprised how heavy it felt taking it on and off the stand.
BroFoSho
3/2/2020 12:20pm
H4L wrote:
Recently seen a vid I think it was Kris Keefer at a previous race (maybe Arlington) doing a tid bits of KR’s bike. He was interviewing...
Recently seen a vid I think it was Kris Keefer at a previous race (maybe Arlington) doing a tid bits of KR’s bike. He was interviewing his mechanic & he said they were using a 14/57 sprocket combo.. Keefer chuckled at the mechanics response of the combo..
Heck if an insider can’t get the sprocket combo on his bike getting the weight info would be virtually impossible..

For those interested in seeing the vid.. Keefer ROCKS !

It's about at the 8 min. mark.

https://youtu.be/yk0frTL2jVs?t=480
I was chatting with Barcia's mechanic at Glendale he said Barcia was running a 53 tooth rear and followed up with "but you definitely don't want to run a 53 on your stock Yamaha!" Whistling
chaseodc
3/2/2020 12:24pm
I think the larger rear sprocket makes the bikes track straighter in the whoops. However, they compensate for the larger sprocket with internal gear changes. McGrath was doing that in the late 90's if I remember correctly. Wish TFS was here to inform us on the science behind this concept. Leverage, momentum, torque and such...
3/2/2020 2:17pm
chaseodc wrote:
I think the larger rear sprocket makes the bikes track straighter in the whoops. However, they compensate for the larger sprocket with internal gear changes. McGrath...
I think the larger rear sprocket makes the bikes track straighter in the whoops. However, they compensate for the larger sprocket with internal gear changes. McGrath was doing that in the late 90's if I remember correctly. Wish TFS was here to inform us on the science behind this concept. Leverage, momentum, torque and such...
I tried going larger on my 14 YZ450F because I read something like that about the factory Yamis. I installed the largest sprocket I could find (52 or 53) and tried to compensate by going 1 tooth larger in the front. It made a noticeable difference on decel when coming into corners and when getting back on throttle. The rear moved less and overall the balance was better.

Post a reply to: How much does KRoc's Factory Honda weight, who has the proof?

The Latest