How much different are the 2 KTM's that 222 raced last

MyBobbym
year and the American version he'll race stateside this year?
Not much or quite a big difference? Is it even debatable?
|
face biter
5/20/2022 8:32am
My understanding is that his bike last year would be more of a bespoke scenario, this years bike will be off the shelf and tailored.
The guy is so amazing on a bike that I’m sure he’ll make it work just fine.
🙂
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/20/2022 10:24am
People make it seem like it will be hard for him (or Jeffrey) to adjust to a stock frame since they get several different frames throughout the GP season, but what if you look at it as they're more adaptive to bike changes than US riders?

All the talk about KTM/Husky riders taking so long to find the right setting on their 1 frame... can you imagine how far out in left field they might be if they switched frames 3 times a year?

To me, it looks like the GP riders are good at finding a setting close enough to their comfort zone and making it work. If he can get used to a hardpack frame, sand frame, etc., he can get used to a stock frame.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/20/2022 12:39pm
Considering he’s never raced this new gen bike it’s going to be quite a bit different I think.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/20/2022 1:22pm
I can't imagine it would be WILDLY different from production. I mean Herlings won ironman so theres that. Somewhere in an interview, the different fuel made the bikes feel different. Just took an adjustment.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/20/2022 1:31pm
I'm always startled by how sensitive the pros are to bike changes. I mean, I don't go anywhere near as fast, so obviously I don't understand. However, I've crashed hard, bent my bars, and then gotten completely used to my new bar bend in two laps - to the point that I don't realize the bars are bent.

When a pro claims that the flex characteristics of one frame to another causes a new machine which is 99.99999% the same to be "completely unrideable," it makes me wonder if that's just a wild excuse.
I've heard some mechanics say they changed something (but didn't,) and their rider comes in and says it was a huge improvement.

The long and short of it is this: I think Tony will do just fine.
Richy
5/20/2022 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2022 3:00pm
I heard rumours from a mate, who in turn is mates with someone who rode a factory supported KTM (not actual Red Bull KTM) or a couple of years very recently, and he reckons some of the 450's used a 3 speed box?? Any truth in that or did he confuse what he was told?

Also found it trippy that the team monitored the dudes heart rate and stuff even when he wasn't riding / training...
skypig
5/20/2022 5:01pm
ShipLap wrote:
Does Cairoli run a 350?
Not for quite a few years I believe.
5/20/2022 5:42pm
Don’t your guts worry at 222 he will be just fine on what they give him. You won’t hear him complaining!

Look out he is unreal. Will be up front for sure old , new or whatever frame!
cable
5/20/2022 7:43pm
one things for sure, his suspension will make our guys look like they are on sx suspension, and then wonder why hes stuck to the ground and fast..
Ranman68
5/20/2022 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2022 8:55pm
That's a question to ask if he had ever raced the new design KTM in Europe. I would much rather know what the differences are between the bike Cairoli races compared to Dungey and Plessinger's bikes in the upcoming ama rounds.
I also wonder how much Cairoli will help the other two with his experience and knowledge on bike set up for outdoor motocross. After racing so many years, pulling off 9 world championships, being able to win GP's even in his last season, and at the age he was, that dude knows a LOT OF SHIT. I'm sure he will share what he knows and help them. Plessinger would benefit more .Maybe Cairoli shares his wisdom, but waits until AFTER he's through competing with them lol. I wouldn't blame the dude if he did 😅
fpandjic
5/20/2022 9:30pm
Also to take into consideration is that MXGP does not have so much restrictions like the US on what you are allowed to do with the bike (e.g. different frame...). Not sure how much of that would affect AC222.
Mit12
5/20/2022 10:39pm
My guess it that the major influence for the KTM chassis is from the GP’s so I would imagine that TC will be very comfortable with the bike.
Richy
5/21/2022 1:23am
fpandjic wrote:
Also to take into consideration is that MXGP does not have so much restrictions like the US on what you are allowed to do with the...
Also to take into consideration is that MXGP does not have so much restrictions like the US on what you are allowed to do with the bike (e.g. different frame...). Not sure how much of that would affect AC222.
That's literally the point of this thread brother, adjusting from a proper works bike to a factory production bike Smile
mx691
Fantasy
1270th
5/21/2022 8:36am
ShipLap wrote:
Does Cairoli run a 350?
Switched to 450 in 2015
karsmakers
5/21/2022 8:38am
cable wrote:
one things for sure, his suspension will make our guys look like they are on sx suspension, and then wonder why hes stuck to the ground...
one things for sure, his suspension will make our guys look like they are on sx suspension, and then wonder why hes stuck to the ground and fast..
I was watching Eli riding and it seemed like he was using only the top 6 inches of travel. The AMA riders are seem to like it stiffer after supercross and I'm not sure it's to there advantage...certaintly hasen't been at the MXON. Jason Anderson on the other hand likes it much softer from what I can see. Personal preference or an advantage? We shall see
Tumic
5/23/2022 6:32am
Ranman68 wrote:
That's a question to ask if he had ever raced the new design KTM in Europe. I would much rather know what the differences are between...
That's a question to ask if he had ever raced the new design KTM in Europe. I would much rather know what the differences are between the bike Cairoli races compared to Dungey and Plessinger's bikes in the upcoming ama rounds.
I also wonder how much Cairoli will help the other two with his experience and knowledge on bike set up for outdoor motocross. After racing so many years, pulling off 9 world championships, being able to win GP's even in his last season, and at the age he was, that dude knows a LOT OF SHIT. I'm sure he will share what he knows and help them. Plessinger would benefit more .Maybe Cairoli shares his wisdom, but waits until AFTER he's through competing with them lol. I wouldn't blame the dude if he did 😅
When Zacho and Anderson were preparing for the MXDN at Assen they got to ride the MXGP factory bikes and suspension but opted for their own American stuff.

I am sure that at least Zach tested it with a open mind since he has done his fair amount of time on MXGP bikes and settings.

The thing om trying to say here is that even if Cairoli comes with some great input about the settings, om not sure about it will suit the american ktm riders riding style.

i could see Dunge being the one who would be the most interested to test some things with Tony, but if you compare the styles between them, Tony ride on his pegs way more than Dungey.

I often had a hard time to find confidence in a softer suspension setup that what i am used to, and i think that this is one of the US based riders problem. SX the whole winter on a rock solid suspension and just a couple of weeks before the first national make the most of the factory ride a harder setting than what they probably should to make the bike work the best it could for outdoors, but you run what you are comfortable on.

Post a reply to: How much different are the 2 KTM's that 222 raced last

The Latest