How much bike swapping and testing for other teams actually goes on?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2021 1:36 AM

I know no one can answer officially, but you would have to imagine Eli rode a 22 Yam quite a while ago.
I wonder how many other riders have ridden other bikes, and do pros swap bikes from time to time when they train together.

|

10/2/2021 2:17 AM

All of em... Duh.

|

10/2/2021 5:03 AM

As long as there’s no cameras around, I’m sure it happens a lot.
I remember RC saying once he rode the factory Yamaha and wished he didn’t, because it was better than where his bike was at.

|

10/2/2021 5:03 AM

That's what I've most enjoyed about listening to RV in podcasts, he's pretty open and detailed about him and Kenny swapping bikes in 2014 and how different they were from each other, he was major boner air on the KTM and Kenny was almost endo-ing off the jumps.

|

10/2/2021 5:05 AM

davis224 wrote:

That's what I've most enjoyed about listening to RV in podcasts, he's pretty open and detailed about him and Kenny swapping ...more

Which podcast was this? Thank you!

|

10/2/2021 5:18 AM

Aus_Rider_22 wrote:

It was in Ryan Dungeys Whiskey Throttle Show if I remember correctly!

|

10/2/2021 5:40 AM

davis224 wrote:

That's what I've most enjoyed about listening to RV in podcasts, he's pretty open and detailed about him and Kenny swapping ...more

Aus_Rider_22 wrote:

GaryC1 wrote:

It was in Ryan Dungeys Whiskey Throttle Show if I remember correctly!

He talked about in at least one other one as well that I can't remember, might have been his own WTS, but he went pretty far into detail on the Dungey episode

|

10/2/2021 9:50 AM

CPR wrote:

I remember RC saying once he rode the factory Yamaha and ...more

Which bike was RC on at that time?

|

10/2/2021 10:08 AM

There is no prove and might never been, but i think there is a good chance Eli rode the blue one on his property in Colorado.

|

10/2/2021 10:26 AM

You won't see a top level rider sign a new contract without riding the bike first. In some (maybe even all) cases riders will try the new bike on both MX and SX in private with the new team to confirm that they want to work together. It's a completely necessary step to take, they all do it.

|

10/2/2021 10:30 AM

Just think of all the test at the private facilities. I bet reed stewart n rc all rode all kinds of bikes during contract seasons.

|

10/2/2021 12:15 PM

CPR wrote:

Kelz87 wrote:

Presumably the Honda 2 stroke. The YZ’s blew those things outta the water at the time apparently

|

RPM Performance
CT

10/2/2021 1:17 PM

MX Guy wrote:

You won't see a top level rider sign a new contract without riding the bike first. In some (maybe even all) cases riders will ...more

Mcgrath tried the rm250 and ktmsx250....not sure on that.

|

10/2/2021 4:09 PM

CPR wrote:

Kelz87 wrote:

Yeah it was the Honda. Then Suzuki copied the Yamaha’s engine and RC jumped ship, no coincidence I think.

|

10/2/2021 4:26 PM

Steve has mentioned on Pulp that all the manufacturers have all of the other manufacturers bikes in the back. Maybe ML can answer this, but do the race teams ever fully race build the other bikes to test apples to apples against their race bike, or do they just keep them stock and learn from there???

|

10/2/2021 7:13 PM

RC was proof you should be able to win on anything

|

10/2/2021 7:47 PM

rhargrave431 wrote:

Steve has mentioned on Pulp that all the manufacturers have all of the other manufacturers bikes in the back. Maybe ML can ...more

The race teams don’t, but all of the OEMs purchase every competitive model to use as part of their R&D testing processes.

It’s called competitive benchmarking and is a normal part of the process in bringing new products to the market.

|

10/2/2021 8:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2021 8:43 PM

MX Guy wrote:

You won't see a top level rider sign a new contract without riding the bike first. In some (maybe even all) cases riders will ...more

For sure it happens all the time...MX Guy gave correct reasons.

Slightly off topic, back in 1999 I picked up the very first two 2000 Hondas, a 125 and 250 that landed on US soil They were sent in from Japan, collected and assemble by, then handed over to me. I loaded them in the box van in a dark parking lot somewhere close to Loretta Lynns.

I wrenched for James at LL and was ordered to take the two bikes straight to Honda in LA after his last moto.

I got pulled aside by Donny and Varner and was instructed me to bring the bikes to FMF in Rancho Domingo first.

I drove straight from LL and arrived Monday as the guys where finishing work.

Rual and Donny had the bikes on the dyno before I could even eat something, next Graeme Brough took the suspension and Varner had the motors opened up.

The bikes where delivered to Honda on Tuesday morning as arranged and nothing was more was said.

Strange story....but understandable.

Photo

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/3/2021 7:29 AM

I would guess Star sent a 450 race bike and small crew to Cortez, CO, to do some testing with Jeremy Martin. wink, wink.

|

10/3/2021 9:50 AM

I know someone who worked for a manufacturer and they bought every other brand to compare with their bikes during development. Owning them allows them to tear down and measure everything and test it against what they have developed so far. So my long answer is they can.

|

10/5/2021 7:13 PM

rhargrave431 wrote:

Steve has mentioned on Pulp that all the manufacturers have all of the other manufacturers bikes in the back. Maybe ML can ...more

Factory teams might, but satellite teams definitely don't. The budget isn't there.

|

10/5/2021 8:01 PM

While Stewy was on factory Kawasaki, I saw him testing an L&M Yamaha at a private supercross track near Bakersfield.

|

10/5/2021 8:12 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

While Stewy was on factory Kawasaki, I saw him testing an L&M Yamaha at a private supercross track near Bakersfield.

So, not so private...

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/6/2021 1:16 AM

Mr. Info wrote:

I know someone who worked for a manufacturer and they bought every other brand to compare with their bikes during development. ...more

I remember reading about when KTM were building their first 80cc (1985?). A journalist visited the factory about another subject, and saw a KX80 propped against a wall ready to be torn down and measured.

|

10/6/2021 5:11 AM

rhargrave431 wrote:

WTaylor733 wrote:

Factory teams might, but satellite teams definitely don't. The budget isn't there.

I'm Mumfords latest video he had a garage full on new Hondas. Whether they came from Honda geico days or not I have no idea, but they looked fresh

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

10/6/2021 5:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2021 5:15 AM

Screen grabs, I guess only three new ones. Two team bikes and Davi's bike
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

10/6/2021 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2021 6:05 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

So, not so private...

It was right along the main highway through town. Although, there was a more private outdoor track behind it that was epic.

|

10/6/2021 6:23 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

So, not so private...

If you knew where to look, not really. I had permission to be there, the rule was no camera’s, and absolutely no posting about it.

|

10/6/2021 7:28 AM

RC stated that when he signed with Suzuki he never even tested the bike beforehand. Went in blind, so to speak.

|

Powerband in every gear !

10/6/2021 4:29 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

So, not so private...

I think Maverick is having a bad week. smile laughing

|