1/15/2019 2:18 AM

I'm just curious how many Vitalmx:ers can rebuild their engines by themselves

How many people in this forum rebuilds their own engines

View Results

|

1/15/2019 2:32 AM

This guy gets it

An ENGINE !

Not a motor, and I rebuild my own but the rest in my area bring their ENGINE s to me

|

1/15/2019 2:41 AM

Currently rebuilding a 250f for my brother. This is the first performance four stroke that i've done. Prior to this it has been all two stroke or basic honda XR engines. Honestly rebuilding a performance four stroke is not as bad as it's made out to be. Organization is key in my opinion

|

1/15/2019 4:58 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

Currently rebuilding a 250f for my brother. This is the first performance four stroke that i've done. Prior to this it has ...more

Funny thing I've seen here is quad riders will mill their head like it's a old small block chev y and then can't figure why it's slower.

|

1/15/2019 7:42 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

Currently rebuilding a 250f for my brother. This is the first performance four stroke that i've done. Prior to this it has ...more

hillbilly wrote:

Funny thing I've seen here is quad riders will mill their head like it's a old small block chev y and then can't figure why ...more

???

|

1/15/2019 8:34 AM

hillbilly wrote:

This guy gets it

An ENGINE !

Not a motor, and I rebuild my own but the rest in my area bring their ENGINE s to me

You're right!

However, we should probably let those folks know that make motor oil, along with the Harley Davidson Motor Company, the Honda Motor Company, Yamaha Motor Company, Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corporation, Suzuki Motor Corporation, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Hyundai Motors, Kia Motors, Nissan Motor Company, Bavarian Motor Works, Toyota Motor Corporation, etc. Also changing what we ride from motorcycle to enginecycle would be logical... tongue

|

1/15/2019 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 8:43 AM

Matt Fisher wrote:

You're right!

However, we should probably let those folks know that make motor oil, along with the Harley Davidson Motor ...more

Yeah, and we also need to change the definition of the word “motor” in every dictionary while we’re at it!

|

1/15/2019 8:47 AM

Motorboat is the only motor I care about.

|

1/15/2019 8:52 AM

Rebuild my own. I don't have the equipment to rebuild a crank or head so that would get farmed out. Ain't skeered of nuthin else.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/15/2019 9:10 AM

hillbilly wrote:

This guy gets it

An ENGINE !

Matt Fisher wrote:

You're right!

However, we should probably let those folks know that make motor oil, along with the Harley Davidson Motor ...more

I just hAte hearing a nascar guy say " i blowed my motor"

|

1/15/2019 9:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 9:33 AM

hillbilly wrote:

I just hAte hearing a nascar guy say " i blowed my motor"

Why do you hate when they say it, because they are correct?

mo·tor
/ˈmōdər/Submit
noun
noun: motor; plural noun: motors
a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
a source of power, energy, or motive force.
"hormones are the motor of the sexual functions"

Ergo, an engine is a TYPE of motor....You should be mad at yourself for not knowing the correct definitions....

I can rebuild all types of ENGINEcycles...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/15/2019 9:37 AM

did you motorboat them slip? did you ,you sick bastard!?silly

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

1/15/2019 9:45 AM

Needs another option for those who build for others

|

1/15/2019 10:41 AM

I can do my own top ends (2 or 4 stroke), clutch assembly. I replaced a shift shaft and a water pump seal once, but I have always been too afraid to split those cases. I watched a few videos and looked over my buddies shoulder the last time he did mine and I’m sure I can do it.

I’m gonna pull the trigger on my 125 here pretty soon. I just don’t wanna learn on my main bike.

|

1/15/2019 10:49 AM

Two stoke, I've done the whole enchilada. Four strokes, I've done everything but split the cases.

|

1/15/2019 10:58 AM

I have rebuilt 2 and 4 strokes from 1-5000HP, but never actually needed to rebuild any of my 4 stroke moto engines. The most I ever had to do was shim valves on my 2005 CRF450, but my newer 450's never even need that done...

|

1/15/2019 11:09 AM

I build the best engines around when im sleeping...nothing comes close... LOL

|

1/15/2019 1:34 PM

I love building engines! It’s fun and very satisfying to be able to say “I did that”. I’ve always been out in the shop with my dad since I can remember wrenching on cars, trucks, bikes, quads whatever it is. This was my favorite project! Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

1/15/2019 3:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 3:08 PM

Ive rebuilt countless 2 and 4 stroke engines. I can also rebuild single cylinder cranks and bore cylinders. Im in my "happy place" when Ive got an engine on the bench to tear into. Only motorcycles though do I enjoy, I hate working on cars/trucks especially modern vehicles.

|

1/15/2019 3:08 PM

Imo there should have been an option for an answer that said, i pay to have my things repaired.
I wish i knew how but i was never taught.i can clean filters,
Change brake pads and thats about it.

|

1/15/2019 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 3:16 PM

Do my own. Rely on others however to press cranks, bore cylinders.

|

1/15/2019 3:23 PM

hillbilly wrote:

This guy gets it

An ENGINE !

Matt Fisher wrote:

You're right!

Bam

|

1/15/2019 3:30 PM

CDswinehart wrote:

Do my own. Rely on others however to press cranks, bore cylinders.

Same here.

|

1/15/2019 5:10 PM

Really enjoy engine builds and do them for my friends for free - they just buy the parts. Main annoyance is when they bring them in dirty.

Photo
Photo

|

1/15/2019 5:19 PM

hillbilly wrote:

This guy gets it

An ENGINE !

What if I told you that an internal combustion engine was a specific type of motor?

Photo

|

1/15/2019 5:47 PM

Ive wanted to rebuild my RMZ250 but just dont feel comfortable busting into it. Any good literature or videos yall would recommend to rebuild a top end or even a total rebuild??

|

1/15/2019 5:58 PM

Bruneval wrote:

Really enjoy engine builds and do them for my friends for free - they just buy the parts. Main annoyance is when they bring ...more

I’m the same way. I rebuild mine as well as others. I’ll have them buy the parts....however I now have a stipulation that they buy QUALITY parts. Had one this summer provide a less than quality top end gasket kit for a KX450F. I replaced it in a quick evening with OEM. ALL better.

|

1/15/2019 6:24 PM

JB500 wrote:

I’m the same way. I rebuild mine as well as others. I’ll have them buy the parts....however I now have a stipulation that they ...more

Very true. No way I’m using cheap gaskets or unknown piston brands from eBay!

|

1/15/2019 6:25 PM

I do my own cranks after I was shown how to do it properly.
I still have to send cylinders for bore/nicasil away, and I have to send anything that needs a milling machine or valve seats, etc away. I do everything else. I even do my own suspension revalving on occasion :-)

|

1/15/2019 6:30 PM

Martini637 wrote:

Ive wanted to rebuild my RMZ250 but just dont feel comfortable busting into it. Any good literature or videos yall would ...more

I would recommend taking small steps first. Maybe just do the top end first - there are videos on youtube on how to do it. Once you are comfortable with that, you can dive deeper the next time.

|