How many real pros are racing the MXdN?

mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
Following the discussion in the Team PR, what bikes?-Thread about where the Team PR riders will finish, I was wondering how many real pros are really racing the MXdN.

I mean after the top few countries, all with a full lineup of professional riders, there are a lot of teams with only amateurs racing for their country.
Just as a example, even Team Germany has only two real pros, as Jacobi right now is no "real" pro like the other two team members. Although he will kind of become one next season...

What countries do have a full lineup of professional racers?

USA, France, Belgium, Netherlands, GB, Italy, Australia, Switzerland, Canada, Germany? Who else?
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
9/18/2018 11:42pm
Are you high? Henry Jacobi is a very fast MX2 rider, and battles in the top 5-10 regularly. That’s like saying Austin Forkner, or Chase Sexton isn’t a real pro.
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
9/18/2018 11:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 12:13am
MxKing809 wrote:
Are you high? Henry Jacobi is a very fast MX2 rider, and battles in the top 5-10 regularly. That’s like saying Austin Forkner, or Chase Sexton...
Are you high? Henry Jacobi is a very fast MX2 rider, and battles in the top 5-10 regularly. That’s like saying Austin Forkner, or Chase Sexton isn’t a real pro.
Alright, he is racing the MX2 class, and is in my eyes a professional racer - at least since this season as he has even done the overseas races. And that’s why I included Germany in the list with pro racers. But in my opinion, without his dad supporting him, Jacobi would not have been able to make a living from racing. But I guess from next season on with his move to Kawasaki, he will become a real pro - at least he said that in an interview.

For sure there are some grey areas, and I didn’t start this thread to discuss Team Germany.

I was just wondering how many pros and amateurs are racing the event.

And no, I am not high. I live in a country where not every second person is on drugs. ;-)
9/19/2018 12:27am
Funny, look at the press release form F&H Kawa:

Henry Jacobi: "It's quite a big step for me to join the F&H team because it's the first time ever in my career that I am a professional rider"

Apparently he doesn't see him self as a pro.....

The Shop

Rs444
9/19/2018 12:54am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 12:55am
mxmasta wrote:
Following the discussion in the Team PR, what bikes?-Thread about where the Team PR riders will finish, I was wondering how many real pros are really...
Following the discussion in the Team PR, what bikes?-Thread about where the Team PR riders will finish, I was wondering how many real pros are really racing the MXdN.

I mean after the top few countries, all with a full lineup of professional riders, there are a lot of teams with only amateurs racing for their country.
Just as a example, even Team Germany has only two real pros, as Jacobi right now is no "real" pro like the other two team members. Although he will kind of become one next season...

USA, France, Belgium, Netherlands, GB, Italy, Australia, Switzerland, Canada, Germany? Who else?
Everyone Will be pro or at least 99%. Emx is a pro League and most european national leagues as well. Sure there is a difference in speed in lets say the german nats and mxgp but pro leagues as well for sure.
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
9/19/2018 1:02am
99% ?

Teams like Iceland, Phillipines, Ukraine, Argentina, Venezuela, Chili or Guatemala are pretty sure more or less amateur riders.

Ok, on sunday, in the A-Finals will be maybe 99% pro riders, but on saturday and in the B-Final there are a lot of amateurs racing.
smee113
9/19/2018 1:39am
I think the OP's definition of pro is a rider whose able to make a living racing, not just a rider who races in a pro series.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/19/2018 2:09am
team NZ MX2 rider pulls 40 hours a week as a builder, he has one afternoon off a week to go ride,

Cody Cooper was full time this year in the USA, between driving and doing other things, Rhys Carter is probably what you would call semi professional, having to do other stuff to supplement is income,
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
9/19/2018 2:11am
smee113 wrote:
I think the OP's definition of pro is a rider whose able to make a living racing, not just a rider who races in a pro...
I think the OP's definition of pro is a rider whose able to make a living racing, not just a rider who races in a pro series.
That's right, well said.
9/19/2018 3:36am
smee113 wrote:
I think the OP's definition of pro is a rider whose able to make a living racing, not just a rider who races in a pro...
Exactly!

Does racing at pro level make you a professional?? No!

A fact which is seemingly overlooked.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
9/19/2018 4:04am
mxmasta wrote:
Following the discussion in the Team PR, what bikes?-Thread about where the Team PR riders will finish, I was wondering how many real pros are really...

Rs444 wrote:
Everyone Will be pro or at least 99%. Emx is a pro League and most european national leagues as well. Sure there is a difference in...
Everyone Will be pro or at least 99%. Emx is a pro League and most european national leagues as well. Sure there is a difference in speed in lets say the german nats and mxgp but pro leagues as well for sure.
If I sign up for a GP or EMX race just for fun, does that make me a professional racer?
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
9/19/2018 4:37am
You said a dude that podiumed in MX2 isn’t a pro? LaughingHuh he also raced the USGP last year (he borrowed my sister in laws stock bike to race it). But I would say he’s a pro.
Rs444
9/19/2018 5:19am
smee113 wrote:
Exactly!

Yes it actually does because in most parts of the world u need a pro/elite license to race the nationals and the nationals themself are mostly considered pro championships. If ur full time pro or part time pro doesnt equal how good of a racer you are either all the time. Try to look at it this way. If im bubba stewart and race at the same time as im managing seven gear company am i then less of a pro rider than i would have been if i just raced and didnt manage my company at the same time?.
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
9/19/2018 5:30am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 5:30am
Renner153 wrote:
You said a dude that podiumed in MX2 isn’t a pro? :laugh: :huh: he also raced the USGP last year (he borrowed my sister in laws...
You said a dude that podiumed in MX2 isn’t a pro? LaughingHuh he also raced the USGP last year (he borrowed my sister in laws stock bike to race it). But I would say he’s a pro.
That dude himself doesn't see himself as a pro so far. In his eyes his first season as a real pro comes next year.
So that's where I based my statement of. Maybe that was a mistake.

And as I said in a post above, I see him as pro too, and that is why I included Team Germany in my list of full professional teams.

Also, as statet earlier, a pro rider in my eyes is someone who can make a living alone from riding his dirtbike. Not someone who competes in a professional series and has to do a second (part time) job to bring some bread to the table.
Rs444
9/19/2018 5:44am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 5:45am
Renner153 wrote:
You said a dude that podiumed in MX2 isn’t a pro? :laugh: :huh: he also raced the USGP last year (he borrowed my sister in laws...
mxmasta wrote:
That dude himself doesn't see himself as a pro so far. In his eyes his first season as a real pro comes next year. So that's...
That dude himself doesn't see himself as a pro so far. In his eyes his first season as a real pro comes next year.
So that's where I based my statement of. Maybe that was a mistake.

And as I said in a post above, I see him as pro too, and that is why I included Team Germany in my list of full professional teams.

Also, as statet earlier, a pro rider in my eyes is someone who can make a living alone from riding his dirtbike. Not someone who competes in a professional series and has to do a second (part time) job to bring some bread to the table.
The thing is tho that most professional nationals in the smaller countries in europe doesnt pay nearly enough to live out of. Take sweden or norway as än example. Dudes like horgmo, Bengtson x2, östlund, kullas etc runs these nationals but because these countries are 2 of the most expensive countries in the world to live in and because of the fact that neither the Swedish nor the Norwegian m.c federations put in alot of money in to motocross compared to speedway, enduro, roadracing etc its more or less impossible for most riders to make a living by just racing them but they are still professional championships and you still need to have pro licenses to ride them. The world is filled with riders capable of tc222, jh84,et3 or tg243 speed and sucess but most ppl especially in europe Will never get to chance to prove them selves.
Bosco
9/19/2018 5:44am
smee113 wrote:
Exactly!

Rs444 wrote:
Yes it actually does because in most parts of the world u need a pro/elite license to race the nationals and the nationals themself are mostly...
Yes it actually does because in most parts of the world u need a pro/elite license to race the nationals and the nationals themself are mostly considered pro championships. If ur full time pro or part time pro doesnt equal how good of a racer you are either all the time. Try to look at it this way. If im bubba stewart and race at the same time as im managing seven gear company am i then less of a pro rider than i would have been if i just raced and didnt manage my company at the same time?.
The dictionary definition from google:

2. engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.
"a professional boxer"
synonyms: paid, salaried, non-amateur, full-time

So I guess if James made more money from Seven than he did from his Suzuki/personal sponsor contracts, he wasn't a pro rider, he was a rich businessman with an expensive hobby Laughing
ando
9/19/2018 11:00am
Are any of the Australian team riders full-time pros?
loftyair
9/19/2018 12:07pm
Not very many dudes actually make money racing mx. Alot of them have money to burn. Just approx guess, 25 in the USA? 25 more the rest of world? Maybe 50 worldwide make money from being a moto pilot? Just a guess. I know if you're in a poor country, making $100 bucks a week is enough, but really.
philG
9/19/2018 12:23pm
smee113 wrote:
Exactly!

Almost as overlooked as people who only race Amateur but dont have a job
BroFoSho
9/19/2018 12:41pm
It doesn't really matter because Herlings is going to make everyone look like an amateur anyways...
lumpy790
9/19/2018 12:46pm
Anyone here at Vital a professional translator from German to American language????

He gets a factory ride and calls it pro ..... sheesh
aeffertz
9/19/2018 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 1:03pm
Ahh, great... A thread about semantics. This is going about as well as I could have expected it to.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
9/19/2018 1:11pm
BroFoSho wrote:
It doesn't really matter because Herlings is going to make everyone look like an amateur anyways...
You meant to say:
'Tomac and Herlings will make everyone look like amateurs anyways'
At any rate, I can't wait to see these two on the same track.
9/19/2018 1:13pm
loftyair wrote:
Not very many dudes actually make money racing mx. Alot of them have money to burn. Just approx guess, 25 in the USA? 25 more the...
Not very many dudes actually make money racing mx. Alot of them have money to burn. Just approx guess, 25 in the USA? 25 more the rest of world? Maybe 50 worldwide make money from being a moto pilot? Just a guess. I know if you're in a poor country, making $100 bucks a week is enough, but really.
This. Most "pro mx racers" have family $ or jobs on the side - construction, riding coach, test rider etc. Very few racers world wide actually make a living just from racing alone. I feel that having and AMA or FIM license and competing at the professional level makes you a pro.
9/19/2018 3:50pm
I don’t give a shit what or where they race. If they’re on the gate....they’re a pro. So what we got fake pros ? What? Not following this.

40th place.....still a pro bruh.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
9/19/2018 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 4:48pm
smee113 wrote:
Exactly!

I’ll have to let my brother know that the Pro card he busted his ass for is actually a “This is only a Pro card if you make your living from racing and not Mechanical Engineering - Card”
Hallzilla
9/19/2018 4:55pm
mxmasta wrote:

FAIL !

Post a reply to: How many real pros are racing the MXdN?

The Latest