How many of you road or mtn bike for training?

GarySemics
7/24/2015 6:37pm
Spartacus wrote:
I use to ride 6-7 days a week year round and race road and CX. My cycling obsession turned my upper body into mush. Cycling is...
I use to ride 6-7 days a week year round and race road and CX. My cycling obsession turned my upper body into mush. Cycling is fine but it's very limited in movement and you'll suffer for it unless you balance it with other movements/work. An example was how much uncontrollable valgus knee position I had during off bike movement despite how strong my legs were for cycling.

In order to start a flame war I will mention that after about a year and a half of crossfit/Wendler 5/3/1, at 58 I'm in much much better condition to ride/race than when I use to cycle all the time.

Yes Spartacus I know what you mean about the upper body going into a kind of atrophied. This doesn't happen if you're still doing a lot of motoing. If not then doing some upper body weight lifting works well. I do all pushing exercises once or twice a week and all pulling once or twice a week and core work each time. It only takes about 20 minutes but it's made a big difference.
GarySemics
7/25/2015 7:32am
sandman768 wrote:
been road & mtn biking for over 20 yrs! both are excellent, road is good for cardio & much less high impact to the joints. used...
been road & mtn biking for over 20 yrs! both are excellent, road is good for cardio & much less high impact to the joints. used to jog also, but donot any more, at 48 I"m in conservation mode! . I also swim alot in the summer, i find it helps with back pain. Gary, keep the GP stories coming, I really enjoy reading those..Are you still spending winters in Fla?
Hey sandman768, Yes, I sent my latest blog into Vital a week ago...they have to post it though.

Yes, we'll be in FL right after the year new...staying at the Red Oaks RV Resort in Bushnell. Do you live near by?
7/25/2015 8:05am
I don't ride mx anymore but I tace single speed mtb. I have an 18lb modded trek superfly ss rigid and I train on the road with my trek domane 4.5. I usually do 2 40-50 mile on road rides and 2 15-20 mtb rides per week here in jersey.
yzrider53
7/25/2015 8:33am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2015 8:36am
I have a Defy with elec shifting. Awesome bike, much better than a full race bike, for me, unless you like riding with your back flat. Best handling bike I've ever had. And my front brake is on the right side!!!

The Shop

sandman768
7/25/2015 9:37am
sandman768 wrote:
been road & mtn biking for over 20 yrs! both are excellent, road is good for cardio & much less high impact to the joints. used...
been road & mtn biking for over 20 yrs! both are excellent, road is good for cardio & much less high impact to the joints. used to jog also, but donot any more, at 48 I"m in conservation mode! . I also swim alot in the summer, i find it helps with back pain. Gary, keep the GP stories coming, I really enjoy reading those..Are you still spending winters in Fla?
GarySemics wrote:
Hey sandman768, Yes, I sent my latest blog into Vital a week ago...they have to post it though. Yes, we'll be in FL right after the...
Hey sandman768, Yes, I sent my latest blog into Vital a week ago...they have to post it though.

Yes, we'll be in FL right after the year new...staying at the Red Oaks RV Resort in Bushnell. Do you live near by?
i have a house in jupiter, east coast, couple hrs away. I usually come down after the holidays for riding. I have a friend with a place in New port Richey, I sometimes stay with him to ride the west coast of Fla. Please post your schedule if you plan on doing some schools or coaching while down there.
GarySemics
7/25/2015 11:01am
sandman768 wrote:
GarySemics wrote:
Hey sandman768, Yes, I sent my latest blog into Vital a week ago...they have to post it though. Yes, we'll be in FL right after the...

sandman768 wrote:
i have a house in jupiter, east coast, couple hrs away. I usually come down after the holidays for riding. I have a friend with a...
i have a house in jupiter, east coast, couple hrs away. I usually come down after the holidays for riding. I have a friend with a place in New port Richey, I sometimes stay with him to ride the west coast of Fla. Please post your schedule if you plan on doing some schools or coaching while down there.
Yeah, I'll put something on the "Motocross School" page of my website in November about teaching in FL January, February and March but it won't have any dates as I'll be doing private and semi-private lessons by appointment. You can always send an email (semicsmotos@gmail.com) or text 330-277-9588 to get updates.

Post a reply to: How many of you road or mtn bike for training?

The Latest