How many of you road or mtn bike for training?

GarySemics
7/23/2015 7:50am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2015 11:01am
Now at the ripe age of 61 I have become an addict of road cycling. Would do mtn biking too but don't live in a good area for it. In years past I've done a little mtn and road cycling but never with the proper road bike, shoes and pedals. Then in May of 2014 I decided to give it a try and bought a descent road bike, shoes and all the other normal stuff. It didn't take me long to get hooked. About 6 months later I bought a better bike, a Giant Defy Composite 2. At me age I really notice how much easier it is on my body's joints, especially knees, low back and neck. I get the same feeling after a ride as I did doing motos. I think it's all good. I'm entering my first Road Race this Sunday.

Just wondering how many other motocross riders use cycling for training or just like to cycle more then ride moto???

|
7/23/2015 7:58am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 7:58am
That picture of you hanging on the wall at Breezewood standing next to the Kawi is funny, man. hahaha

I do both. it's just heart rate zone training for me, i just obviously cover a lot more real estate on the roadie.

When I was younger I even raced BMX on the side, but developed so many bad habits doing that. (riding too far back, right index finger sticking out). Some guy named Jeremy picked up some good habits though, I suppose.
GD2
Fantasy
854th
7/23/2015 8:04am
I used to train for MX with MTB, hardly did any street cycling. But once I started getting into Enduro and DH I realized I had much more potential in MTB than I ever did in MX, and switched over to pretty much full time MTB. Much cheaper and the money at local races is pretty decent...I just ride dirt bikes for fun now.
Scrambler_Man
7/23/2015 8:29am
I ride the road on a Cannondale Synapse:

I would not say I love it or am addicted, but it is damn sure good for me. My heart rate has dropped an average of 25bpm since I started riding. I do not do long rides, I generally stick to 25 mile rides with 1500ft of vertical every couple days.

The Shop

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
7/23/2015 8:29am
Only if the trail goes downhill
DownSouth
7/23/2015 8:47am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 9:45am
I ride my MTB way more than my MX bike these days. MTB is cheaper and more convenient. I have 4 MTB trail systems within 30 minutes drive vs 2 hours to the nearest legal place to ride my dirt bike.
Scott167
Fantasy
250th
7/23/2015 8:54am
Moto was the reason why I started cycling. Now I cycle way more and just ride for fun. Unfortunately I havent been out as much lately as I would like due to work but hoping to get out for 50k on the weekend to get myself back into shape. I upgraded to a Cervelo S2 last year and love it. Would definitely recommend cycling to anyone

Premix
7/23/2015 9:04am
I was just out on my single speed this morning. I gave up road cycling due to getting run off the road a few times. I'm lucky to have two nice trail systems with 25 minutes in Cleveland. Gary if you're still in Lisbon, you're not too far from westbranch for mountain bike trails. If you really want a treat check out mohican or lake hope for some of the best riding in Ohio. Generally one of the local shops has Trek or Cannondale for demos later in the summer.

Suns_PSD
7/23/2015 9:13am
Same as many others. Bought a MTB to train for MX but the sheer ease of participation and lower cost (not to mention comparative safety) of MTBing has left me more a MTBer than an MXer these days.

The cool thing is that if you MX, you already have some great skills on a MTB. And if you MTB, even if you only MX occasionally, you lose very little because the MTB keeps you sharp.

I went to a bike park in Angel Fire last weekend and my MX skills had me very competent right away. It was a blast and a fun change to not have to pedal!

As far as road riding, that's way too dangerous for me. But I have done it and it puts me in a great state of mind. Shit is too scary here in TX however.
peelout
7/23/2015 9:15am
i'm in the category of slipping away from moto and into the mountain biking world. if given the choice of 20 miles of single track heaven or lap after lap at the track, i'll take the single track pedaling every time.

this is what my nightly ride looks like, depending on what time i start and which direction i'm going i can get a good 25-40 miles in on this trail skirting the rim of Ogden.

can't say i'm much of a road bike rider though, had a couple close calls with cars and i'm out.

Fraser
7/23/2015 9:17am
I've also got a bit addicted to road cycling this year- Really gets you fit, though it's not necessarily mx fit but it still helps. I'm doing a big charity ride in Sept which is 960 miles in 9 days so have been training for that.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/Nightdoctor.24
Arkmx
7/23/2015 9:21am
I did and my boys do now.

After ACL repair in 87 the rehab and friends got me into biking MT & RD.

Did both types of events and will use the MT bike for both road and off road riding.

Back when I was in shape 20-25 years ago... It was fun when the roadies would see you on a mt bike and you pass them during a 100 mile event! They would say "damn you would hall ass on a road bike!"

Also if you have to bail off the road a Mt bike will survive (ride it out) much better than a road bike would IMO....

Enjoy the biking Gary and good luck this weekend!
Flesh206
7/23/2015 9:27am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 9:29am
When it's to hot to moto training, very low impact (it's water). This is post riding my ski for 6hrs straight.

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/23/2015 9:35am
DownSouth wrote:
I ride my MTB way more than my MX bike these days. MTB is cheaper and more convenient. I have 4 MTB trail systems within 30...
I ride my MTB way more than my MX bike these days. MTB is cheaper and more convenient. I have 4 MTB trail systems within 30 minutes drive vs 2 hours to the nearest legal place to ride my dirt bike.
Me too. I ride the MTB twice a week now. I'm actually getting interested in racing Enduro - it looks like a cool sport and not quite as brutal as cross country. I'll never give up the 2-stroke but finances are getting so that I can hardly afford a $25 gate fee, $20 in gas, $10 in food and an entire day spent. I can ride the bicycle right out of the garage and be in the dirt in 4 minutes.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
7/23/2015 9:37am

I have a litespeed titanium bike, and it's a blast. I did recently do a road race too, and got screwed over by the leaders of my class playing games on the top of hills in attenpts to throw everyone else off behind them. They would get near the peak, slow right down, crest the hill and while we were all still stacking up from the brake check they were gone.
Steadman
7/23/2015 9:38am
I also got hooked on road bikes about two years ago. I needed a form of exercise that was a little more gentle on the body and mentally relaxing as well. The more I do it the more I enjoy it. GREAT for cardio. I live in an area with elevation changes that challenges the cardio. I must say, I notice an significant improvement on my mx bike. Stronger legs, far more endurance. You also get to wear spandex. Who DOESN'T like to wear spandex haha!

Great topic post Gary

peelout
7/23/2015 9:44am
DownSouth wrote:
I ride my MTB way more than my MX bike these days. MTB is cheaper and more convenient. I have 4 MTB trail systems within 30...
Falcon wrote:
Me too. I ride the MTB twice a week now. I'm actually getting interested in racing Enduro - it looks like a cool sport and not...
Me too. I ride the MTB twice a week now. I'm actually getting interested in racing Enduro - it looks like a cool sport and not quite as brutal as cross country. I'll never give up the 2-stroke but finances are getting so that I can hardly afford a $25 gate fee, $20 in gas, $10 in food and an entire day spent. I can ride the bicycle right out of the garage and be in the dirt in 4 minutes.
i'd like to try an Enduro this year also. i did my first mountain bike race last month and it was a 4 mile loop that we did a few times and it kicked my ass. i was in full on motocross mode and blew my load in the first 3 miles lol, then it was just trying to survive and keep my tongue out of my spokes the next 9 miles. i ended up taking 2nd in my class though, so it was cool. but that kind of racing isn't for me, i think the Enduro format would be more up my alley.

@ Whitey, what's the group on Strava? how do i find it? I'm still new to Strava, but of all the people who I follow, it seems like i'm the only one ever posting rides..
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
7/23/2015 9:54am
Premix wrote:
I was just out on my single speed this morning. I gave up road cycling due to getting run off the road a few times. I'm...
I was just out on my single speed this morning. I gave up road cycling due to getting run off the road a few times. I'm lucky to have two nice trail systems with 25 minutes in Cleveland. Gary if you're still in Lisbon, you're not too far from westbranch for mountain bike trails. If you really want a treat check out mohican or lake hope for some of the best riding in Ohio. Generally one of the local shops has Trek or Cannondale for demos later in the summer.

Frankford's in Girard doesn't have any. I asked them this past Sunday before I bought my first roadie:

Bought this beauty from Thumm's in Warren. It's a '15 1.1. Was their demo bike. I bought it to work on my cardio fitness for GNCC.

Bigbirdmx44
7/23/2015 10:27am
I've been riding dirt bikes my entire life. Mostly MX track with a little play riding on a trails bike. Like most people got a desk job in 07 and by 10 I was 75 pounds overweight, lethargic, no longer riding/living, etc.etc. One of my best friends died suddenly of a heart attack at 51 in July 2010. On the way home from his funeral I stopped and bought a "mtn bike". Decided that day this not living because I was following the sheepeople's view point was over. I am not going out like that! First few rides just going 3 miles on the paved bike path was a challenge. But only took about a month and I was buying a decent GT hardtail 26" bike and riding three or four times a week. Life has never been better since finding the pedals. I quit riding MX but did buy a KTM 300XC and have been racing the local Hare scrambles series. Most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. I can easily attribute all of that to MTB riding. Keeps you in great shape, it is fun, easy to slip out for a couple of hours, and did I mention it is fun?!
If anyone is on the fence at all get on Craigslist and buy a bike. You will not regret it.
Tonycar107
7/23/2015 10:44am
I hurt my knee riding MX about 6 months ago. Was a avid runner for my cardio. Then with my knee I wasn't able to run anymore. I was trying to find another way to keep in shape and then a douchebag coworker of mine started talking crap about how great of a Mt biker he was. So I bought a cheepo rode it, smoked my coworker and now I ride almost every day. Not as much fun as MX but, so much easier, quicker and cheaper. Its sad.
Olson
7/23/2015 10:53am
I started road biking a couple of years ago after a knee injury. It was impossible to run and still hurts if the surface isn't right. I got into it more and more. All the gadgets around makes it easy to get hooked. Started mtn biking not long after to make the options better. Now I ride mtn bikes in bad weather and my road bike in good weather. Been off the bike a while now (busy at work). Looking forward to monday, get off work, jump on the bikes and peace in mind.
Olson
7/23/2015 10:56am
peelout wrote:
i'd like to try an Enduro this year also. i did my first mountain bike race last month and it was a 4 mile loop that...
i'd like to try an Enduro this year also. i did my first mountain bike race last month and it was a 4 mile loop that we did a few times and it kicked my ass. i was in full on motocross mode and blew my load in the first 3 miles lol, then it was just trying to survive and keep my tongue out of my spokes the next 9 miles. i ended up taking 2nd in my class though, so it was cool. but that kind of racing isn't for me, i think the Enduro format would be more up my alley.

@ Whitey, what's the group on Strava? how do i find it? I'm still new to Strava, but of all the people who I follow, it seems like i'm the only one ever posting rides..
Vital MX MTB'ers
rosebud441
7/23/2015 11:30am
I Do, I Do!! I am not sure which, Mtb for MX training or MX for Downhill,, either way they go together like peanut butter and jelly.. Or newman an a gun thread, Ha

KTMShane699
7/23/2015 11:31am
When I'm not broken like I am now, I do triathlons. So I've spent quite a bit of time on the road depending on events coming up. Rides of anywhere from 15 miles to 100 miles or more. I don't pedal as much as I used to after getting hit by a car a couple of years ago though. I prefer to ride with someone else so try to plans rides that way which is easier said than done. But riding is still an escape for me. I can't wait to be able to ride again.

Shane
tek14
7/23/2015 11:52am
Both MTB and road biking. Good weather longer road bike tours and colder weather mtb road/trails. 1/3 of training comes from cycling.
7/23/2015 11:58am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 11:59am
I do both Road & Mountain biking. Road biking is just a casual thing i do about once or twice a month.. I don't know why i don't really feel that comfortable on that cycle. It's fun to ride it from time to time though cause it is so much easier to go fast with it.

Mountainbiking on the other hand i do about 150 every week pretty much the year round. I got multiple tire sets for either Full blown offroad during the winter and some kind of street / offroad wheels for summer. Friends of me who run the cycle shop measured my legs and stuff to adjust the bike perfect for my size and body positioning and it's been the most fun i've had sporting in a very long time ..

Might get into some amateur mtb races this winter if i can keep improving my fitness up till then. Currently when i ride it's about 40-50 km at an average speed of 30 km/h about 3/4 times a week. (sorry for metric system i can't do the translation to Imperial out of my head Tongue )

My only problem is that i would love to do some downhill trails for MTB and see where i am at skillwise.. But where i life it's sadly completely flat.

I made a video not so long of my local woods track where i do most of my riding, it's a crap video but could give you guys a nice impression of what kind of stuff i ride in here in Belgium ..

Doogan551
7/23/2015 12:36pm
I don't race MX anymore, but love to MTB around the local area. even seen Brayton a time or two around the foothills of NC. haven't spotted Weige yet (even though I hear they bike together some)..

some most excellent MTB around Kerr Scott

http://brushymtncyclists.com/mountain-biking/
cable
7/23/2015 2:29pm
The current 40, and 45+ lorettas champ does a lot of mountain biking.
r.sal923
7/23/2015 2:41pm
I live in the "mountain bike capital of Canada" ( that is what they say not me) . Anyways I am not a fan of mtn biking but can't get enuf road cycling. I raced moto for years because I had tracks close by to were I lived. Now at the age of 35 and no tracks around , I have really found that road cycling is a low impact great cross over

7/23/2015 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 2:59pm
GarySemics wrote:
Now at the ripe age of 61 I have become an addict of road cycling. Would do mtn biking too but don't live in a good...
Now at the ripe age of 61 I have become an addict of road cycling. Would do mtn biking too but don't live in a good area for it. In years past I've done a little mtn and road cycling but never with the proper road bike, shoes and pedals. Then in May of 2014 I decided to give it a try and bought a descent road bike, shoes and all the other normal stuff. It didn't take me long to get hooked. About 6 months later I bought a better bike, a Giant Defy Composite 2. At me age I really notice how much easier it is on my body's joints, especially knees, low back and neck. I get the same feeling after a ride as I did doing motos. I think it's all good. I'm entering my first Road Race this Sunday.

Just wondering how many other motocross riders use cycling for training or just like to cycle more then ride moto???

You're looking good for 61.

I thought about taking up road bikes for Cardio training. Each time I have thought about it a friend, or the friend of a friend has been run over and killed. Chick from my local bike shops Mum was the last to cop it. Chick that hit her was on prescription meds and had escaped the nut house.

People drive past, swerve at you whilst holding their horn on etc. Scares crap outta me every time. Motorists here Hate cyclists. And vice versa.

Decided to just stick to riding the Mrs for my Cardio training. Physically I don't look as good as you, but my smile is bigger.

Post a reply to: How many of you road or mtn bike for training?

The Latest