How many of you change your own tires?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2018 9:53 PM

Just get a five gallon bucket, put the wheel on it, get a few tire irons and some soapy water (Dawns) and lube up the edges and you'll be good.

|

5/8/2018 10:22 PM

i even started changing my own car tires..with tire irons. its actually easier than bikes. good skill to have if you travel a lot.

|

5/8/2018 10:27 PM

I have been changing my own tires since I was 15 years old. I have never used a shop to change a tire for my dirt bikes

|

5/8/2018 10:40 PM

Lol fuck that, I’ve even stopped cleaning air filters, just buy new ones.

|

5/8/2018 10:46 PM

crusher773 wrote:

Its the 1 thing I absolutely hate. I'd rather clean 50 air filters than change 1 tire. I hate it!

Really? I'd rather change tires than clean air filters.....lol

It's all technic, if you're struggling you're doing something to make your life difficult.

|

5/9/2018 6:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2018 6:56 AM

I've been doing my own since the beginning.

3 things that make it easier.

1) Prepare the tire before removal, get the entire tire bead loose on both sides of the room, remove the valve stem complete to let all the air out before you start.

2) Make sure your tire is warm, don't install a cold tire. The rubber is much harder and not as stretchy. Set it in the sun or store it overnight in the house.

3) A mixture of dish soap and water. Get the tire bead covered in watery soap. Slides on much easier. Bonus, the tire bead will bounce on easier too.

I just discovered Tubliss.. What an awesome product. This actually made installing tires even easier and no chance of pinching a tube anymore! I don't usually pitch products, but this was one of the best products I've used for my dirtbike in a long while.

Check out how easy a Tubliss is.. You basically put the entire rim inside the tire and then the beads. Makes it so much easier.

|

5/9/2018 7:11 AM

I change mine. I flip my back tires before swapping to new ones also. Once I got the technique down and used the right irons, it got a lot easier.

|

5/9/2018 7:17 AM

I actually... like doing my own tires.... weird I know. Never pinched a tube in my life, knock on wood.

I can't get myself to buy the Baja No Pinch. Once I go that route, I know I'll be ruined forever.

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

5/9/2018 7:20 AM

Just changed 4 tires last weekend, I use 4 tire irons and find it easier to put the tube in tire first. also having the gf around to hold a couple irons never hurts.

|

5/9/2018 7:24 AM

I use tubliss as well and changing tires is a breeze. Check out some of the products below to help in your struggles! Photo
Photo Photo

|

5/9/2018 7:34 AM

The first time I definitely got a headache of changing them but practice makes perfect.
Now I can do them pretty easy, especially fronts.
I just throw the thing on a few blocks of wood. Works fine. The only thing I hate is that my rims are black. Have to be so darn careful to not scratch it up too bad.

|

5/9/2018 7:44 AM

crusher773 wrote:

Its the 1 thing I absolutely hate. I'd rather clean 50 air filters than change 1 tire. I hate it!

I'll change your tires if you change my seat covers. Staples, not velcro.

|

5/9/2018 7:45 AM

[url=http://www.bajanopinch.com/]

If you haven't used the Baja No Pinch, you will be amazed how well it works. Seriously works very well in conjunction with a bead buddy.

NO SCRATCHES ON RIMS!!!

|

5/9/2018 8:01 AM

I take my wheels to the dealership for tires and tubes. Takes them 10 mins per tire.

|

5/9/2018 8:13 AM

Ya gotta do your own bike work IMO it's at least 9% of the fun.

|

5/9/2018 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2018 8:41 AM

Canoe589 wrote:

[url=http://www.bajanopinch.com/]

If you haven't used the Baja No Pinch, you will be amazed how well it works. Seriously ...more

I actually got this for christmas years ago. It makes putting new tires on totally effortless. I never needed it before but after using it. I was hooked. Really cool product.
Cool part is my wife bought it and i never had mentioned it before to her.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

5/9/2018 8:44 AM

The last time I changed a tire it reached up and punched me in the face

|

5/9/2018 8:48 AM

I have never payed anyone to do work on my bike besides revalving or cylinder plating. I was splitting cases in middle school. Of course my dad has helped a lot.

|

5/9/2018 9:22 AM

PFitzG38 wrote:

A little FYI I just recently learned. How many of you know the little yellow circle on the tire is supposed to line up with ...more

That only matters if you are trying to balance them...Even then it does not make that big of a difference. Tires with yellow dots usually do not take into consideration that a rim lock is being used.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/9/2018 9:36 AM

Changing my own since the 70's. cheerful

|

5/9/2018 9:39 AM

I used to hate doing them, but got some better tire irons and quite being a bitch about it and as long as tires aren't cold and you got something to make sides slick its not bad at all really.

Maxima SC1 works pretty good to help slide new one on easier

|

5/9/2018 9:49 AM

You just take the tire guy to lunch, right?

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

5/9/2018 9:56 AM

Takes me 15 min for a tire. Really not that hard.

|

5/9/2018 10:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2018 10:08 AM

crusher773 wrote:

jbrown15 wrote:

Really? I'd rather change tires than clean air filters.....lol

It's all technic, if you're struggling you're doing something ...more

Man I have watched videos, bought all kinds of tools and different irons. At 1 point even had a manual type machine. Still hate it. Never goes smooth. I wont do it unless I have no other options and just have to. I haven't tried the new Michelins yet though. I have them on the bike now. I'm going to unmount them when new ones needed and see how easy they come off. Filter are easy. Put some kind of degreaser to let the filter oil loosen and then throw them in the washing machine when the wife isn't home. Then run a load of garage clothes/gear. All traces gone.

|

5/9/2018 10:06 AM

crusher773 wrote:

aFACEdismembered wrote:

I'll change your tires if you change my seat covers. Staples, not velcro.

Yeah I have no problem with that.

|

5/9/2018 10:47 AM

I do my own also. Once you get all the right tools and a proper tire stand, it makes it sooo much easier. I can order tires online, get them Friday night, and have it ready for the ride in the morning. You can flip your rear tire so you can use the sharp edge side. Also, you can have multiple sets of tires without needing wheel sets for them. I ride with a fresh set for the track, and will swap them out when I go to the desert or on a long Baja Mexico ride.
|

5/9/2018 11:02 AM

I have a rabaconda. Makes it a lot easier. Only thing as an adult that's made me absolutely lose my shit is changing dirt bike tires.

|

5/9/2018 11:07 AM

Meh... Ive changed a few

|

5/9/2018 11:10 AM

crusher773 wrote:

laughing laughing I was just thinking about air filters when I saw your post. I'd rather change tires all day long than to clean one air filter.
|

5/9/2018 11:18 AM

p0wn wrote:

I have a rabaconda. Makes it a lot easier. Only thing as an adult that's made me absolutely lose my shit is changing dirt bike ...more

That rabaconda looks awesome. The only thing I don't like about my tire stand is having to store it in my garage when I'm not using it.

|