How many of you change your own tires?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2018 7:07 PM

Do you? or do you throw tire irons across the floor? or do you take it to a shop and have them deal with it

|

5/8/2018 7:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 7:09 PM

Local shop changes them for free if you buy the tires there. I gotta pull the wheels though.

|

5/8/2018 7:10 PM

Change you own. wtf?

|

5/8/2018 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 7:14 PM

UPSman334 wrote:

Do you? or do you throw tire irons across the floor? or do you take it to a shop and have them deal with it

I do it myself because im a cheap prick. Watched a dunlop how to youtube video that helped a lot. I would watch it while changing the tire as i went to mimic every thing he did.

If your exerting a ton of effort and struggling your missing something. Step back and look again at the video and look again at what you are doing.

It takes practice and patience but its not awful. Local shops are like 25 to install with it off the bike. Thats just too much to me. Thats like almost half the cost of the tire alone. I'll do it myself.

Heres the video i use as my how to.

|

5/8/2018 7:14 PM

Changing tires are super simple and easy. Just take it to the local oil and lube place, grab a smoke, watch and learn.

|

5/8/2018 7:16 PM

Always changed them myself. Takes 10 minutes. Even used to swap tires between races so I didn't roach my new tires practicing.

|

5/8/2018 7:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 7:19 PM

I change my own cuz I was a broke dude, now I do it cuz I can and it easy... and I make a couple bucks or a pack of beer doing it for buddies

Ps the moose spoons are legit!!! 3 spoons makes life very easy

|

5/8/2018 7:21 PM

Its the 1 thing I absolutely hate. I'd rather clean 50 air filters than change 1 tire. I hate it!

|

5/8/2018 7:27 PM

I change all of mine and my buddies will bring theirs over w/beer and I get them changed too. LOL I try to keep a spare tube for the one that gets snagged. I have a pretty dang good track record for not pinching them but you never know.

|

5/8/2018 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 7:56 PM

Literally the first thing my dad ever taught me about maintenance. I never even considered paying for that. That's like paying someone to change your oil in your car blink

|

5/8/2018 7:31 PM

Change my own and change my friends.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/8/2018 7:35 PM

Oh I’ve thrown some extreme grown man temper tantrums changing tires blink laughing

Then I got a tire changing stand and some decent tire tools and all was well lol

|

5/8/2018 7:36 PM

Of course, doesn't everybody?

|

5/8/2018 7:52 PM

UPSman334 wrote:

Is this a serious question? Geez

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

5/8/2018 7:56 PM

Been changing mine since I was in my teens.......Only when work was busy and time was at a premium did i take them to the shop. I do my own bibs also.

Yes I've thrown my tire tools a few times, had fat lips and torn up hands......

The Baja No Pinch Tool is an awesome addition to your tool list.

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

5/8/2018 7:58 PM

Do them myself. Use to work for a shop and I’ve changed hundreds of tires. It’s no big deal to me

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/8/2018 8:35 PM

I do them my self. Zip-Ty Racing levers work well, along with spoon Motion Pros to help out.

|

5/8/2018 8:43 PM

I remember when I was 16, bought my first bike, needed a new tire and being a broke high school kid I tried doing it myself. After I pinched the tube, tore my hands up, cussed for 30 mins straight, I took it to the shop and have never done one myself again.

|

5/8/2018 8:56 PM

Change my own, bought some good tire irons a stand and like many mentioned above youtube videos are great learning tools. I have pinched a few tubes in the learning process but thats user error due to rushing the job. Good luck. Cheers.

|

5/8/2018 9:02 PM

It's all about technique and practice. My dad always did mine and after he passed I refused to pay someone and took it as a challenge. I watched a few videos online and tried to replicate multiple times on the same tire and tube. It's easy now. I will say the dirt rider video on YouTube definitely had the best tricks and made it click for me.

|

5/8/2018 9:05 PM

Actually just did two today for RedBud open ride this weekend. Photo

|

5/8/2018 9:07 PM

Are you kidding me??? If anyone pays. I'll change anyone's tire within driving distance $5 cheaper than wherever they go now

|

5/8/2018 9:09 PM

I’ve changed all mine just because my tire purchases are anticipatory. I’ll buy tires to have around when I need them, then through them on when I feel like wrenching and don’t have anything else to do. Plus I’m particular about the rim strip.

Take off old tire. Check rim and strip. Mount one lip of new tire. Cover tube in baby powder and inflate to shape. Tuck into tire. Install rim lock. Drink beer. Mix up steps. Spray windex on outside bead. Chase bead around rim 5 times. Drink another beer and look for the extra tire spoon you thought you bought. Find package and wonder why they only come in pairs. Google tire spoons and determine nobody has figured out how to make one correctly. Carry on with two spoons. Call a friend. Forget why you called. Get impatient and force it on. Show up tomorrow to ride and tell everyone about how that particular model of tire is the hardest to change. Wait until you forgot how much changing tires sucks, and do it all again.

|

5/8/2018 9:13 PM

I use to always change mine and my sons, but about 4 years ago I started paying some one to do it. At $10 a tire not about deal. ( at 52 I think I’m allowed to pay to get them done), in saying that a couple of weeks ago I fitted and flat track tire on a spare rim I had.

|

@TONY351KTM

5/8/2018 9:17 PM

kxf250f176 wrote:

It's all about technique and practice. My dad always did mine and after he passed I refused to pay someone and took it as a ...more

Your pops would be proud. He passed that skill on to you

|

5/8/2018 9:20 PM

Tonynz wrote:

I use to always change mine and my sons, but about 4 years ago I started paying some one to do it. At $10 a tire not about ...more

I DO get it. That's the way I feel about washing my truck. As a kid I detailed cars and told myself, someday I'm going to pay someone to detail MY car - and I do!

|

5/8/2018 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 9:23 PM

Its simple, would change mine after first motos from soft to hard when tracks like Reddick, Hardrock, Gatorback etc would dry up since i was a young kid. Made a huge difference. So easy.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

5/8/2018 9:24 PM

I do my own. No way anyone touches my bikes with the exception of machine work on engine parts. Tires aren’t that big of a deal. Just like anything else, if you suck at it, keep doing it until you get good at it.

|

5/8/2018 9:25 PM

A little FYI I just recently learned. How many of you know the little yellow circle on the tire is supposed to line up with the valve stem? WelI never knew - seems like it should be the rim lock

|

5/8/2018 9:41 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Do them myself. Use to work for a shop and I’ve changed hundreds of tires. It’s no big deal to me

Yep. Nice levers and it's 5 mins rear less for front.

|