How many have "Quit for good" and

BIGRIGGIN
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2013 7:10pm
come back to ride another day? I'm mid 40's and am still riding weekly. Having been riding for 30+ yrs, you see and experience incredible highs and lows. The best and worst of times. Winning your first race. Watching your best friend suffer through a life changing injury. Mounting up a fresh set of tires and just feeling it out there on the track or trails. Knocking yourself the FUCK out. Etc.

I hope Ryno is able to come back and ride again someday, perhaps at a notch below his current comfort level. Then again, this is what I've been told is the underlying reason some of the best in the world have simply given it up, because they can't turn it down that notch. Get well.
|
Flatliner
2/15/2013 2:10pm
I've quit a few times, longest was for 3 seasons. I don't think I ever will again, at the time it was due to not wanting to get hurt but my job is dangerous enough and I love the sport too much. I'm not out hunting 120 foot jumps but I still jump, I ride more within my comfort zone. Smooth is fast anyways.
dirtnapper
2/15/2013 2:16pm
I quit for almost two years ( due to finances ) but rebounded and bought a bike again. But I honestly don't think I will, or can, ever quit riding my dirt bike.

I have raced, at least one race, every summer since 2003 ( sat out 2007 though ) and I just LOVE it. It would really suck to have to hang up the boots.
BAMX
2/15/2013 2:17pm
I can't even imagine quitting cold Turkey. I keep reading that Ryno is done for good. I hope it isn't true but who knows.
dirtnapper
2/15/2013 2:18pm
BTW, great thread idea! Be interseting to hear some stories.

The Shop

BobbyM
2/15/2013 2:21pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
come back to ride another day? I'm mid 40's and am still riding weekly. Having been riding for 30+ yrs, you see and experience incredible highs...
come back to ride another day? I'm mid 40's and am still riding weekly. Having been riding for 30+ yrs, you see and experience incredible highs and lows. The best and worst of times. Winning your first race. Watching your best friend suffer through a life changing injury. Mounting up a fresh set of tires and just feeling it out there on the track or trails. Knocking yourself the FUCK out. Etc.

I hope Ryno is able to come back and ride again someday, perhaps at a notch below his current comfort level. Then again, this is what I've been told is the underlying reason some of the best in the world have simply given it up, because they can't turn it down that notch. Get well.
I imagine the feeling you get when you realize you've ridden yer last motocross scooter will be very similar to the day you have yer last boner. Bummer.....
pdub187
Fantasy
2532nd
2/15/2013 2:42pm
As a kid, I was a die-hard motocross fan. However as soon as I turned 17, I got my streetbike license and rode everyday. I became absolutely obsessed with roadracing and raced on the tarmac for awhile. Around two years ago a bit of a sour taste started to form in my mouth though. I'd had my license suspended twice and had a lot of fines. Then one day I caught a round of the pro-motocross on TV and over around a one month period my interest in street riding all but disappeared and the passion I'd once had for motocross reemerged. I still own one streetbike but I don't ride it everyday like I used to and I stopped roadracing (a lot of that was down to the sheer cost of racing on the tarmac though). I'm very happy with what's happened. These days I'm having a lot more fun in the dirt than I did riding on the road trying not to get arrested every time I went out.
TX24
2/15/2013 2:53pm
I quit when I was 15, parents idea. I quit when I was 30 to start a business. I have been back ten years this time and am having more fun then ever riding off road about once a week. If I raced mx again it would be vintage, I really enjoy being active in our local off road club and following pro racing.
downard254
2/15/2013 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2013 3:00pm
I started racing in '82, raced until mid 90's, then just rode a few times a year until the kids showed up. The bike set untouched for 10 years until 2 years ago. I fixed it up and went riding at a friends house. Then last year I got a good deal on a 2006 RM 250 in mint condition, had the suspension revalved, built a 1 mile long mx track on my land at which time my 10 year old son got involved. I'm not back to racing yet, but I'm feeling the itch. Definitly going to hit a few tracks besides my own this year, then we'll see. I am 46 after all, but when I'm on the bike, I feel 18 again. LOVE IT.
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
2/15/2013 3:00pm
Man every time I get fired up and start looking for a used MX bike someone posts an X-ray pic and I have a change of heart. for old guys racing vintage seems like the way to go.
WhKnuckle
2/15/2013 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2013 3:31pm
I raced hard from '71 until '76, when I really wrecked my left femur - compound break, bone sticking out through my leathers. It took 2 years to get well, and although I tried to race some after that, my heart wasn't in it. Then I got the bug again in 2001, bought a KTM 250SX, and I've been riding ever since. I really enjoy riding more now than I ever have, because now I ride with my son and its such a great experience to do that, but I don't care all that much about racing. I'll be 58 in April, and I'm starting to see the end of the road out there; I just don't have the reflexes to ride safely at a pace that I would consider even "riding". It's very sad, to have loved the sport for so long and to face the fact that I won't be able to do it much longer. But on the other hand, I don't know another sport like motocross, where a guy can ride and race over a 40 year span, including over 10 years riding with his son, and then hand that off to him like an inheritance.
2/15/2013 3:13pm
I have quit three times but I keep coming back.
The first time was due to injuries, the second time I figured it was smart to buy a new Corvette C6.
I have a break now (the third) since I was involved in a startcrash last year that took me out pretty bad.
After that I promised my self to stop riding for good but now Im starting to come around again and it has changed to never race again but I guess that will change aswell to never stop riding again :D
Im addicted to the poison motocross!
jock
Fantasy
1st
2/15/2013 3:23pm
I gave riding away at the end of 1992, the interest was no longer there. In 07 I bought myself another bike and loved the feeling of being back riding again, but after busting my leg pretty bad in 2010, I only go trail riding now. Had the metal removed 2 weeks ago.
slipdog
2/15/2013 3:55pm
Winners never quit and quitters never win!
Choppy
2/15/2013 3:56pm
I think some people like myself get hung up on the racing side of things and "lose" interest because we think if we're not racing it's not worth it.

I quit for a 7 years, until a friend invited me to go ride around with him on a trail. I then realized that I didn't like racing as much as I thought. I simply loved to ride, and haven't quit since that day
Lone Wolf
2/15/2013 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2013 4:19pm
I am 23 and have raced MX ever since I was 10. I wasn't able to ride that much while I was at University and haven't been able to ride much in recent years (because of work commitments), though.

I have been considering taking a break from motocross (and possibly getting a street bike) for a while now. The cost and time required are part of the reason, but I have also kind of lost my enthusiasm for the sport. My riding buddies have virtually all given it up, so I often end up at the track on my own. I also find my loss of fitness and speed from riding infrequently is frustrating. Being self employed, the injury risk is now more of a concern too (although I have been reasonably lucky so far).

I think I would end up coming back to motocross sooner or later, though. I have recently employed a labourer to lighten my workload, so maybe I will again have more time to put into it.

I know this post was a bit off topic. If you don't like it, GFY.
BobbyM
2/15/2013 4:14pm
slipdog wrote:
LOBITO is a quitter? same with Donavan? yer nuts
slipdog
2/15/2013 4:24pm
slipdog wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
LOBITO is a quitter? same with Donavan? yer nuts
That's what I said to the things hanging off my wiener!
motox505
2/15/2013 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2013 4:33pm
Quit in 2003 to finish my degree, haven't seriously thought about getting a bike in a while. I've basically supplanted moto with XC and DH mountain biking. I haven't ever stopped following the sport closely though.

http://llvault.racerxonline.com/rider/chris-hunter-1/races
http://vault.racerxonline.com/rider/chris-d-hunter/races
bll
2/15/2013 4:32pm
i am walking away right now. news of rhyno's injury was the last straw. i had a great run, since '75 and i am no longer willing to take the risks we take. i don't plan on coming back, this is it.
yam261
2/15/2013 4:46pm
I didn't own a mx bike for 12 years. I got back into it 3 years ago. At 47 years old i hope i can go for a few more years.
Lone Wolf
2/15/2013 4:48pm
Choppy wrote:
I think some people like myself get hung up on the racing side of things and "lose" interest because we think if we're not racing it's...
I think some people like myself get hung up on the racing side of things and "lose" interest because we think if we're not racing it's not worth it.

I quit for a 7 years, until a friend invited me to go ride around with him on a trail. I then realized that I didn't like racing as much as I thought. I simply loved to ride, and haven't quit since that day
I probably fall into that category somewhat. Racing used to be my main attraction to dirt bikes, but as time has gone on, I find myself less motivated by it. I do still love the competitive side of things, but I enjoy trail rides or just riding motocross tracks a lot more now than I used to.

I tend to get frustrated finishing below my ability, as a result of poor fitness and reduced speed from being unable to ride very often. Waiting around all day for 3 x 15 minute races can get boring, too.
Suns_PSD
2/15/2013 5:04pm
After a large injury, like when I disintegrated my L1 in Oct '10, I briefly consider quitting riding. Then I snap back to my senses usually about the time the pain killers kick in during the ambulance ride.

Riding is an addiction but that last accident slowed me down a LOT. I'll ride until I can't throw a leg over a bike anymore but I really don't want to get hurt again and it shows in my aggresiveness and willingness to try the largest obstacles.
wwoberg
2/15/2013 5:15pm
From 1980-1985 rode almost everyday and raced every weekend.
Then went to college, and rode on and off for 6 years. Got a job and was totally disconnected for 4 years. I remember looking at a Cycle News in a Honda Shop in Clarkesville TN (I was there to get some moly lube, completely unrelated to MX, but at my job at the time, I knew it would do the trick) and I saw the headlines "McGrath wins another: or something like that......I said to myself "whose McGrath?".
Anyway, bought a 94 KX250 and rode it about 10 times. Then I started having kids. 3 of them. That bike went to 4 different houses and 2 different states, without being started.
About 2005 my oldest son, about 10 at the time, started to look at MX and riding a motocycle. One thing led to the next and we raced or rode all the time. Probably rode 2 times a week and raced 20 times a year. for about 6 years.
That son is in college now, and we dont ride very much now (maybe 4-5 time a year) but i wouldnt want to do anything else. I sneak out every now and again and get a ride in by myself.

There is really nothing else, that i know of, that gives you that same "feeling". That head inside that helmet is the happiest head you ever get. Thats why we are all here.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
2/15/2013 5:28pm
There have been times I have taken a couple years off, and I hope I never do again. The thought of saying "I quit for good" freaks me out. I have been enjoying riding lately as much as ever.
bonseff
2/15/2013 5:43pm
Jr high & high school, raced a lot
college- too broke to ride
right after college, picked it up and made a lot of gains
injury forced sideline and focus on career.
got the jones to to ride again, but reality of age, fear of injury and ultimately sacrificing a paycheck forced me to check my ego. with a wife a kiddo on the way changes everything.
railing berms and rolling big jumps is my style. just gotta live vicariously through the fearless youth, and also the fearless old schoolers who chance the shit i care not to. honestly, just paying the $20 and suiting up on a Sunday is pretty damn gratifying.
Rolling into work on Monday sore is questionable though, haha. But I do it, it clears my head, and it always has. I've never got satisfaction from any other sport. Can't wait to pass it on the kiddo.
Headshake
2/15/2013 6:49pm
After about a fifteen years away I bought a new bike and came back a couple years ago. School, work and family commitments made it hard to stay in the sport. Another major factor for me was riding buddies giving it up and it becoming harder to find riding areas. I ride as often as I can now when I'm not lurking on this site.
Frank
2/15/2013 6:53pm
When life gives me happiness, satisfaction, self worth, pride, and a reason to stay ripped, I will give up riding and racing. Until then fuck you life. You suck.
stackman17
2/15/2013 7:02pm
I had minibike growing up, but parents would not let me race. After college and starting a career, I bought a bike in 92 and rode/raced almost every weekend. Couple broken bones, no big deal. I quit in 2000 with the birth of first child. Picked up a cruiser. When my daughter turned six in 2006, got her a crf 50 on a whim. Four days later, I'm picking up a 450. Between 06 and 08, I broke both wrists, neck, tib/fib, ankle, shoulder. Got rid of my bike because by now my son is riding/racing. He moves up to 65 in 2012. I pick up a cr 250 to ride with him. Third time out, broken wrist again. Sell bike. Borrow a bike for a race, concussion. Currently in the market for another big bike. My dad says I am mental. Good times.
VET176
2/15/2013 7:27pm
I quit for 7 years. Sold my bike (almost new) for a deposit on a house, have kids etc.

Now I have returned the riding seems so much better some how. Not sure why? Maybe I appreciate it more.

Problem is none of my riding buddies race, so I do that solo.
WhKnuckle
2/15/2013 7:35pm
VET176 wrote:
I quit for 7 years. Sold my bike (almost new) for a deposit on a house, have kids etc. Now I have returned the riding seems...
I quit for 7 years. Sold my bike (almost new) for a deposit on a house, have kids etc.

Now I have returned the riding seems so much better some how. Not sure why? Maybe I appreciate it more.

Problem is none of my riding buddies race, so I do that solo.
I can't speak for everyone, but simply knowing that we have no future in the sport makes it more fun. There's nothing on the line when we ride or race. We perform only for ourselves, and we may or may not have anything to prove, but even if we do, that's too bad 'cause we ain't gonna prove nothin' now anyway. We're back to the pure and simple joy of riding that we started with, when we were still trying to hit a jump hard enough to actually get off the ground.

Post a reply to: How many have "Quit for good" and

The Latest