How low should I try to get the price?

bencurrie17
Sorry for all the post lately. Took a 3 year break and trying to get back into racing again. So I contacted my local dealer and he gave me a OTD price of 6,900 on a 15 Kx450f, that's with tax, dealer fees, prep fees etc. the bike itself is 6,200.. How low should I try to get him to go on the price. I have tons of arguments in my favor that will help lower the price. Like another dealer ship down the road from me has a 16 Kx450f for 600 more and the bike is completely new design and weighs 7 lbs lighter. Also the 2018 Kx450f will be released in June!! and will drop the resale value of the 2015 a shit ton. Soooo how low do y'all think I should offer. I don't wanna be a dick and try to make it where they get no profit but I also want a good deal.
|
mxb2
3/2/2017 1:11pm
$5500 otd on the 15 model, goin on 3 years old. . Great bike. But u can get a 16 6300 otd, and in April. a 2017 for $7k.
Starcrossed
3/2/2017 1:17pm
I'd start with around $500 more than what a used '15 in excellent condition would go for.
MMCDan
3/2/2017 1:30pm
Regardless, I'd get the 2016.
rrjr
3/2/2017 1:49pm
6900 for a 15 is way too much. Don't pay any dealer prep charges, destination charges or any other dealer mark-ups. The only fees you should have to pay are sales tax, state title fee if your state charges one and license fee. Don't concern yourself with the dealer making money. They're making money or they wouldn't be in business.
If you're paying in cash your likely to get a better deal. If you're going to make payments it's usually better to arrange your loan through a credit union yourself. That is of course unless the dealer has some kind of special deal with really low interest. Highly doubtful on a leftover 2 year old bike. When using dealer arranged loans the dealer makes money from the loan broker. Several percent of the interest rate charged is extra profit for the dealer.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/2/2017 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2017 4:30pm
rrjr wrote:
6900 for a 15 is way too much. Don't pay any dealer prep charges, destination charges or any other dealer mark-ups. The only fees you should...
6900 for a 15 is way too much. Don't pay any dealer prep charges, destination charges or any other dealer mark-ups. The only fees you should have to pay are sales tax, state title fee if your state charges one and license fee. Don't concern yourself with the dealer making money. They're making money or they wouldn't be in business.
If you're paying in cash your likely to get a better deal. If you're going to make payments it's usually better to arrange your loan through a credit union yourself. That is of course unless the dealer has some kind of special deal with really low interest. Highly doubtful on a leftover 2 year old bike. When using dealer arranged loans the dealer makes money from the loan broker. Several percent of the interest rate charged is extra profit for the dealer.
You are right about the financing participation part, which is why you usually get a better deal when financing, actually.

A good rule of thumb for getting a deal is if you can get it out the door for the same cost as retail. That way, the dealer paid your sales tax and registration, if any, for you. He also had to pay to get the crate to the shop, pay his mechanic to put it together, and pay the salesperson a mini commission ($50 or less probably.) This kind of deal leaves very little for the dealership, but he can't expect to make very much more on a 2015.

OP, you should offer the dealer $5,900 OTD for the '15 or $6,200 for the '16 and see which one he bites on.

EDIT: I see the '16 is at another dealer. Tell dealer #1 you'll go offer $6200 to dealer #2 if he doesn't want to take the deal. No hard feelings, just business.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/2/2017 4:20pm
The bad news is that MX is stagnate (at best), or on the decline. The good news is, that is good news when it comes to purchasing power of the consumer. There are a lot of options. You've been out 3 years, so my advice is, be patient a little longer until you find the best deal for you because they are out there. When you get impatient and try to force things, you are more likely to be buying off of emotion, which usually doesn't include the best of logic.

In other words, its a buyers market, so try to capitalize on it.
racerx217
3/2/2017 4:37pm
Sorry for all the post lately. Took a 3 year break and trying to get back into racing again. So I contacted my local dealer and...
Sorry for all the post lately. Took a 3 year break and trying to get back into racing again. So I contacted my local dealer and he gave me a OTD price of 6,900 on a 15 Kx450f, that's with tax, dealer fees, prep fees etc. the bike itself is 6,200.. How low should I try to get him to go on the price. I have tons of arguments in my favor that will help lower the price. Like another dealer ship down the road from me has a 16 Kx450f for 600 more and the bike is completely new design and weighs 7 lbs lighter. Also the 2018 Kx450f will be released in June!! and will drop the resale value of the 2015 a shit ton. Soooo how low do y'all think I should offer. I don't wanna be a dick and try to make it where they get no profit but I also want a good deal.
There is a reason they still have a brand new 15 on the floor. Its because their price is high, move on to a different dealer and get a 16.
ledger
3/2/2017 5:38pm
Sorry for all the post lately. Took a 3 year break and trying to get back into racing again. So I contacted my local dealer and...
racerx217 wrote:
There is a reason they still have a brand new 15 on the floor. Its because their price is high, move on to a different dealer...
There is a reason they still have a brand new 15 on the floor. Its because their price is high, move on to a different dealer and get a 16.
10-4 on that, move on, and up to the 16. Glad you're getting back in the game.
3/2/2017 6:50pm
rrjr wrote:
6900 for a 15 is way too much. Don't pay any dealer prep charges, destination charges or any other dealer mark-ups. The only fees you should...
I agree with the dealer markup bullshit. My local dealer here in SW Ohio (vista Kawasaki) cuts out all that bs. All you pay tax, title fees, and local fee. And don't buy into the you have to buy now gimmick. No real dealer will make you make a decision on the spot.

Post a reply to: How low should I try to get the price?

The Latest