How long can we avoid the white elephant on Alessi's back?

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 12:06pm
Mike Alessi, 16th fastest qualifier? Slower than Steven Clarke and Travis Sewell? Sure, Mike's down 100cc, but he won a moto at Hangtown on the same bike. What's going on with him? Is he injured, beaten down, or what?

I don't want this to turn into the usual thread hating on Tony and Mike, but he clearly is not the same rider he was even at the beginning of this season, much less the rider we've seen in the past. Does anyone know of anything specific, or is he just flaming out?
|
jasonv43
7/24/2010 12:15pm
Maybe him and Reed share the same illness.
WhKnuckle
7/24/2010 12:18pm
It's gonna be a short thread if we all have questions but nobody has any answers.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
7/24/2010 12:19pm
jasonv43 wrote:
You know, that could be possible.....
But I'm leaning more along of the lines that he is injured.
Hopefully we can get the REAL entire scoop soon.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
7/24/2010 12:22pm
Bauer wrote:
Mike Alessi, 16th fastest qualifier? Slower than Steven Clarke and Travis Sewell? Sure, Mike's down 100cc, but he won a moto at Hangtown on the same...
Mike Alessi, 16th fastest qualifier? Slower than Steven Clarke and Travis Sewell? Sure, Mike's down 100cc, but he won a moto at Hangtown on the same bike. What's going on with him? Is he injured, beaten down, or what?

I don't want this to turn into the usual thread hating on Tony and Mike, but he clearly is not the same rider he was even at the beginning of this season, much less the rider we've seen in the past. Does anyone know of anything specific, or is he just flaming out?
Not only did he win a race early in the season, he was right there near or at the top during the first 6 motos of the season (at the first 3 locations) - except for crashing or washing out a few times. He has steadily went downhill - on starts, finishes, practice times, etc - straight downhill. If it were ALL the bike (not saying the bike isn't hurting his chances, because it's possible to win and compete on it as he proved early), he would not have been where he was in the first 6 races. FYI - with respect to the bike, I think the suspension set up is a bigger factor for his finishes more than having 100 cc's less in bore size. As for anything further, I can't figure it out. But there is something going on for sure - more than just the bike anyway.

The Shop

mxtryon231
7/24/2010 12:23pm
It is hard for me to believe it is only the 100cc's Mike is down that are causing his lackluster results this season. All you have to do is look back to MXDN and you see when guys race different size bikes in the same moto, its not a given that the 450's will all beat the 250's.

Mike seems like one of the toughest guys that MX has to offer, racing a week after wiring his knee cap together is just one example. When Stewart had his perfect season, Mike was second best by a long shot over the rest of the field. I am hoping whatever it is that is holding Mike back he can figure it out and get over it because despite all of the yahoos on here, he does have a lot of people pulling for him!!!

Maybe he has some sort of illness or issue with his body? He has been riding a ton since they decided to develop the 350.
calimxer91
7/24/2010 12:28pm
Results would be the same on the 450. He's a little burnt ,but things could change with

a podium.
RMZ819
7/24/2010 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2010 12:31pm
jasonv43 wrote:
Yep, The Ryan Dungey Virus.

The only cure for this Virus is The James Stewart serum. I can't wait for the greatest practice rider on the planet to show up and show these guys whats up.
Just_Wishing
7/24/2010 12:31pm
Under-powered Bike leading to

Poor Starts leading to

Worse Finishes leading to

Diminishing Confidence leading to

Dulled Interest in Timed Qualifying leading to

Totally Giving Up on this Season.

...Or he might be injured.
MXinOC
7/24/2010 12:36pm
Under-powered Bike leading to Poor Starts leading to Worse Finishes leading to Diminishing Confidence leading to Dulled Interest in Timed Qualifying leading to Totally Giving Up...
Under-powered Bike leading to

Poor Starts leading to

Worse Finishes leading to

Diminishing Confidence leading to

Dulled Interest in Timed Qualifying leading to

Totally Giving Up on this Season.

...Or he might be injured.
Is an announcement like Chad's possible?
calimxer91
7/24/2010 12:38pm
jasonv43 wrote:
RMZ819 wrote:
Yep, The Ryan Dungey Virus. The only cure for this Virus is The James Stewart serum. I can't wait for the greatest practice rider on the...

The only cure for this Virus is The James Stewart serum. I can't wait for the greatest practice rider on the planet to show up and show these guys whats up.
Hopefully he won't catch that before Unadilla. Laughing
BobbyM
7/24/2010 2:02pm
jasonv43 wrote:
RMZ819 wrote:
Yep, The Ryan Dungey Virus. The only cure for this Virus is The James Stewart serum. I can't wait for the greatest practice rider on the...

i thought this was a mike alessi thread....huh.
Wandell
7/24/2010 2:06pm
Love him or hate him, it's obvious that something is wrong. Alessi is much better than his results indicate.
Larry
7/24/2010 2:48pm
I miss the old 800. he was a blast to watch.
TeamGreen
7/24/2010 2:50pm
So, there's a White Elephant on his back & that's what's slowing him down?
7/24/2010 2:51pm
Pure arm chair speculating but some riders are naturally better on hyper smaller motors and others are better at riding the torque curve of a big motor. Cairoli was great on a 250F, looked like a fish out of water on the big Yamaha last year (even though he won), and rides the 350 with abandon. Allesi always seemed the opposite to me, better on the big bike...
JLEADER628
7/24/2010 2:52pm
Im not even 100% sure he wants to ride anymore, mike is a great rider, but i just dont see the same mike that we saw on suzuki.
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
7/24/2010 2:55pm
I sure hope that what ever it is, he can get it lined out and get back to riding like he's capable of doing. His results this season just aren't where he can and should be.
bents
Fantasy
710th
7/24/2010 7:59pm
One word-Suzuki. RC, Reed, Alessi, Dungey. The common denominator. A 350 for us ham and eggers? Absolutely. For the top dogs-450 all the way. To much for all of just like the 500 smoker...250 smoker, fine. The evolution of the sport can't be stopped and the 450 is part of that evolution. Sure, we can have one just like we could have had the 500 back in the day, but we sure as hell can't use much of em!
BobbyM
7/24/2010 8:15pm
Pure arm chair speculating but some riders are naturally better on hyper smaller motors and others are better at riding the torque curve of a big...
Pure arm chair speculating but some riders are naturally better on hyper smaller motors and others are better at riding the torque curve of a big motor. Cairoli was great on a 250F, looked like a fish out of water on the big Yamaha last year (even though he won), and rides the 350 with abandon. Allesi always seemed the opposite to me, better on the big bike...
hey einstein, mike was always better than he is now regardless of what he rode. if you follow and decipher what has transpired in the last 4 years it's plain as day. look at the rumors, truths and half truths and put em together and therein lies yer answer
jasonv43
7/24/2010 8:20pm
Maybe he has one of these on his back instead?

prozach
7/24/2010 8:24pm
EBV he will announce it any day, it is the cool thing to do.
Gym Briggs
7/24/2010 8:40pm
I remember reading that he doesn't have a 350 to practice on. So he just races it. That could be a big part if true. I mean the alessi's run a boot camp like training schedule. Take the ability to be able to ride your bike during the week would not be good!
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
7/24/2010 9:13pm
Gym Briggs wrote:
I remember reading that he doesn't have a 350 to practice on. So he just races it. That could be a big part if true. I...
I remember reading that he doesn't have a 350 to practice on. So he just races it. That could be a big part if true. I mean the alessi's run a boot camp like training schedule. Take the ability to be able to ride your bike during the week would not be good!
He has a 350 to practice on, he just wasn't allowed to take it home unattended by a KTM tech.
jeffro503
7/24/2010 10:08pm
Well....I KNOW there has got to be something going on with either him or the bike....and I'm leaning towards him. We ALL KNOW mike has speed to win races or at least be close to the box every weekend....but something is definitely not right.

I will say though....today at Washougal....I saw him put in one gutsy performance in that second moto!

He was second to last.........him and his brother were dead last ( first turn wreck I guess ). On the second lap , Mike was just coming up to like 35th place. Not sure exactly where he finished....but he was hauling ass.....and it was with a bent bike! Bars looked twisted and the front number plate and fender were tweaked pretty bad....but he kept charging all the way to the end.

If he was back on a bike and a team he was comfortable with like Suzuki last year.....I don't think this thread would of even been started. weather or not he would be mixing it up with Dungey....I don't know , because RD is a God Damn machine right now! BUT....I think he would be fighting to be up on the box every weekend for sure.
BobbyM
7/24/2010 10:14pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well....I KNOW there has got to be something going on with either him or the bike....and I'm leaning towards him. We ALL KNOW mike has speed...
Well....I KNOW there has got to be something going on with either him or the bike....and I'm leaning towards him. We ALL KNOW mike has speed to win races or at least be close to the box every weekend....but something is definitely not right.

I will say though....today at Washougal....I saw him put in one gutsy performance in that second moto!

He was second to last.........him and his brother were dead last ( first turn wreck I guess ). On the second lap , Mike was just coming up to like 35th place. Not sure exactly where he finished....but he was hauling ass.....and it was with a bent bike! Bars looked twisted and the front number plate and fender were tweaked pretty bad....but he kept charging all the way to the end.

If he was back on a bike and a team he was comfortable with like Suzuki last year.....I don't think this thread would of even been started. weather or not he would be mixing it up with Dungey....I don't know , because RD is a God Damn machine right now! BUT....I think he would be fighting to be up on the box every weekend for sure.
ok...listen up...here's the bottom line.

KTM thinks they made mistake by signing him and team Alessi thinks they made a mistake by signing. welcome to "yerbothfuckedatthispoint" USA.

simple as that....

and yer right...dungey is a motocross machine, and the bummer for the others is he's only gonna get better and faster. afuckingmazing....
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
7/24/2010 10:44pm
Mikey pushed hard today, pushed till the end of both moto's. Horsepower hill didnt really show any lack of power as he was neck in neck with the 4fiddies. In that 2nd moto he was really putting his head down and pounding out the laps. He was like 1/3-1/2 lap down after that fall and was like 18th after lap 3. He actually layed it down 1 more time that I saw right after the downhill. He seems like a rider that needs to just have a little luck on his side for once and he will get things turned around. Although top 10's in the Nationals are nothing to shake a stick at, I think better finishes lie ahead for 800.
BobbyM
7/24/2010 10:49pm
Bauer wrote:
Mike Alessi, 16th fastest qualifier? Slower than Steven Clarke and Travis Sewell? Sure, Mike's down 100cc, but he won a moto at Hangtown on the same...

this is a fuckin podium rider we're talking bout here..wtf
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
7/24/2010 10:59pm
Bauer wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
this is a fuckin podium rider we're talking bout here..wtf
agreed. Watching him at the race today I just couldnt see where he was losing time. The bike looked fine, watching it in person I can tell you he isnt getting pulled by much, (if at all). He was passing other bikes going up the hill. He was charging, the starts werent great but not horrible either. He was looking around like normal but it was more looking to the other side of the track at the people in front of him vs. looking back. He didnt noticably fade at the end of the motos. I guess I cant put a finger on what the issue is. Like I said, maybe he just needs a holey and a couple good laps up front to shake the cobwebs off.

Post a reply to: How long can we avoid the white elephant on Alessi's back?

The Latest