How is it 2014 and we still have flaggers at Nats that have no clue

Muezh
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2014 1:09pm
Canard was yelling and pointing at the guy what to do and he just stood there waving his flag.. clueless. I gotta believe they're given some sort of instruction beforehand... unreal..
|
Muezh
7/26/2014 3:28pm
anyone have it dvr'd its within the first lap or so. Post the vid clip.

really though.. are they given instruction or is this some guy off the street paid 50 bucks cash???

anyone on here ever flag a national?
7/26/2014 3:30pm
X1000000 when Anderson went down the flagged was sitting the shade under a tree and Canard looked like he was afraid of getting drilled by another rider. Flagging has been dismal and these guys deserve better.
EastCoastMx
7/26/2014 5:14pm
Flaggers are not the most high end employees ....FYI As a wise man once said, you cant make chicken salad out of chickenshit......unfortunately lives and careers depend on these guys and gals......

The Shop

The Rock
7/26/2014 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2014 9:56pm
Flagging at MX racing is still a relatively new thing. Give it some time boys and we'll get 'er worked out.

Personally I am just happy that the Acerbis markers are still painstakingly applied to the course so at least we're focusing on what is really important. Seriously how many hours are spent hammering the wooden stakes in, cutting them off with a saw in some cases leaving a nice jagged edge on them (ask Kyle Regal the mark they leave when they enter your stomach) and then having to pull them up after the event? Then what is the labor cost involved with Acerbis markers that don't do ANYTHING to make the racing safer compared with the labor cost of paying for professional flaggers?

Until we have professional flagging at professional races I will still moan about the Acerbis markers.. Talk about misplaced priorities,
7/26/2014 5:53pm
The Rock wrote:
Flagging at MX racing is still a relatively new thing. Give it some time boys and we'll get 'er worked out. Personally I am just happy...
Flagging at MX racing is still a relatively new thing. Give it some time boys and we'll get 'er worked out.

Personally I am just happy that the Acerbis markers are still painstakingly applied to the course so at least we're focusing on what is really important. Seriously how many hours are spent hammering the wooden stakes in, cutting them off with a saw in some cases leaving a nice jagged edge on them (ask Kyle Regal the mark they leave when they enter your stomach) and then having to pull them up after the event? Then what is the labor cost involved with Acerbis markers that don't do ANYTHING to make the racing safer compared with the labor cost of paying for professional flaggers?

Until we have professional flagging at professional races I will still moan about the Acerbis markers.. Talk about misplaced priorities,
Flagging is new? You gotta be joking. Oh I see you are! But seriously with all the money in MX now I think it's time they fixed this mess.

And don't get me started on the blue flag!!!
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/26/2014 7:06pm
MXSports really needs to step up in this area - been happening all year - not the place to cut corners. Price to attend keeps going up yet the people putting on the show get the same payout and substandard employees protecting them with the flags.
visser62
7/26/2014 7:20pm
Yeah, the flaggers are just random people that come out of the woods of Washington, unfortunately.
dkg
7/26/2014 7:24pm
yak651 wrote:
MXSports really needs to step up in this area - been happening all year - not the place to cut corners. Price to attend keeps going...
MXSports really needs to step up in this area - been happening all year - not the place to cut corners. Price to attend keeps going up yet the people putting on the show get the same payout and substandard employees protecting them with the flags.
Pretty sure the flaggers are provided by the venue, not MX sports.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
7/26/2014 7:24pm
The Rock wrote:
Flagging at MX racing is still a relatively new thing. Give it some time boys and we'll get 'er worked out. Personally I am just happy...

I'm sure you would not prefer wooden stakes Rock? IMO they are better than wood, but what is the alternative? Hay bales? Not practical.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges though. Flaggers do one thing, track markers do another.
If you are saying open boundries on a race track and pay flaggers more, ok maybe. . . but you have to get some good people that know how to flag.
Bob693
7/26/2014 7:29pm
I know there are a lot of bad flaggers and agree it would help to have professionals but I didn't really see enough of Trey's situation to crucify the guy. It was the start of the moto with the whole pack coming through and he might not of had an opening to get across to the other side of the track. I was pissed for Trey but sometimes when you crash on the first lap you have no choice but to let the field go past.
The Rock
7/26/2014 7:34pm
Apples and oranges? To me they're one and the same IMHO since they both rider safety related

Respect your opinion on wooden stakes but IMHO they are a 20th century left over still present on 21st century tracks. This is an issue on both sides of the pond and not just specific to the Nationals. As a sport we can do better and must do better on safety. Common sense goes a long way and just reducing the amount of stakes and Acerbis markers would go a long way to improve the safety level as well as have our sport look more appealing in photos and on television.

How about using some of the time spent driving Acerbis markers in the ground on mandatory flagger training unless it is a National like Glen Helen or Hangtown where the flaggers are all members of the tracks?

It is professional racing isn't time we have professional flagging?
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/26/2014 7:37pm
dkg wrote:
Pretty sure the flaggers are provided by the venue, not MX sports.
That is true but MX Sports is promoting the series and ultimately should have control over the ability/experience of the people putting on their event
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
7/26/2014 7:50pm
Last time I flagged the pay was one and one.
The Rock
7/26/2014 8:11pm
logan_140 wrote:
Jake Weimer just tweeted about it too
Jake Weimer @jakeweimer12 · 2h
Just saw the 2nd 450 Moto where trey crashed on the backside of the finish. They should prooobably start paying a flagging crew. Justsayin
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 46 times46 FavoriteFavorited 90 times90
More

Given he's recovering from getting drilled due to some questionable flagging after crashing Jake has some credibility on the subject.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
7/26/2014 8:33pm
Rock,
WADR, can't there be room for both? A better track marking system and flagging duties? IMO those markers don't do much anyway, most of 'em get run over throughout the race. . . I agree with you man, rider safety needs to be forefront. . .

Suggestions?

PS
Dias374
7/26/2014 9:09pm
Muezh wrote:
anyone have it dvr'd its within the first lap or so. Post the vid clip. really though.. are they given instruction or is this some guy...
anyone have it dvr'd its within the first lap or so. Post the vid clip.

really though.. are they given instruction or is this some guy off the street paid 50 bucks cash???

anyone on here ever flag a national?
I have flagged at the Thunder Valley national. I believe every track has their own way of doing it though. In Colorado they take volunteers, but they do personally call and talk to everyone that volunteered before hand and select most of the people who have racing experience. Personally, I was in charge of a wheels on the ground flag and we met before the race twice to cover how they wanted us to handle things on the track. One of the biggest concerns at any of the tracks is that there are OSHA guidelines that have to be followed and flaggers are not allowed to get out of their position where OSHA believes it makes it dangerous for that person. I will admit I am leary of how some of the track crews look on TV, but I do feel here at least they try to assemble the best crew they possibly can. It is not a perfect system but I understand that when they tell you not to get on the track because the riders will not slow down for you it is the truth. A yellow flag is only a cautionary warning and with these guys racing for as much money as they are you will only be in the way. Like I said, I believe it can be improved, but I can only speak for how our national is run and not the others.
The Rock
7/26/2014 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2014 10:03pm
Dias374 wrote:
I have flagged at the Thunder Valley national. I believe every track has their own way of doing it though. In Colorado they take volunteers, but...
I have flagged at the Thunder Valley national. I believe every track has their own way of doing it though. In Colorado they take volunteers, but they do personally call and talk to everyone that volunteered before hand and select most of the people who have racing experience. Personally, I was in charge of a wheels on the ground flag and we met before the race twice to cover how they wanted us to handle things on the track. One of the biggest concerns at any of the tracks is that there are OSHA guidelines that have to be followed and flaggers are not allowed to get out of their position where OSHA believes it makes it dangerous for that person. I will admit I am leary of how some of the track crews look on TV, but I do feel here at least they try to assemble the best crew they possibly can. It is not a perfect system but I understand that when they tell you not to get on the track because the riders will not slow down for you it is the truth. A yellow flag is only a cautionary warning and with these guys racing for as much money as they are you will only be in the way. Like I said, I believe it can be improved, but I can only speak for how our national is run and not the others.
It is not a perfect system but I understand that when they tell you not to get on the track because the riders will not slow down for you it is the truth. A yellow flag is only a cautionary warning and with these guys racing for as much money as they are you will only be in the way

BINGO.

Great contribution to the thread Dias374.

Piston Slap-Be great to hear what people think is the best way to address this. I am still blown away we don't document every injury and do a crash investigation just for historical purposes. What gear were you wearing? Why do you think you crashed? Was the track a factor? Did flagging play a role? Are you just returning from an injury? etc. Five or so questions then look at the data on a yearly data to compare it to years past to see if there are any identifiable trends.

Or we look at the injury lists year after year and have the same discussions year after year about safety.

EDIT Regarding my solution to the wooden stakes I see a modified Acerbis markers being used to hold up all the banners with virtually no Acerbis markers on the course unless it is required to define the race course. So many times they are placed around a corner where no one in their right mind would be going any way and ditto for the insides of some corners.

Contrary to appearances I am not completely anti Acerbis markers but anti Acerbis markers lining every side of the track in many cases right up against the banners that are there. Really?

Given their expertise in plastics I know Acerbis can come up with a safer alternative to the wooden stakes we have today.
Muezh
7/27/2014 6:49am
nice post Dias374.

in this case the flagger could also have motioned with his hands which side of the track to race on. (think SX right)

I tried to find a youtube of when Ryan Hughes got layed out by Mike Brown back in the 125 days. I think it was the same kind of situation. Blind side jump. Ryan stood up and got absolutely drilled by Mike Brown.
jndmx
7/27/2014 7:12am
Dias374 hit the nail on the head on the OSHA stuff...

The folks over at The Brett Downey Safety Foundation have been using a light system like the one used in SX.
They had it set up at Mammoth and last week at Ponca, it helps alert both the riders and the flaggers/ref's in the area via lights on both sides.
That is a step in the right direction.
bama205
7/27/2014 7:18am
I would be willing to bet MXSports does not pay for the track markers....
smeg
7/27/2014 7:56am
Double the flaggers and pay half as much.

At each flagging point put a flagger on each side of the track.If someone is down on the left side of the track the left flagger waves the yellow and vice-versa. Someone down in middle of track they both wave yellow.
40Plus_922mx
7/27/2014 9:39am
Would it be too much to ask if they had a standard instructional/safety course for flaggers before each event? Probably the easiest thing to get done. I'd bet the riders would really appreciate that.
gt80rider
7/27/2014 9:40am
Muezh wrote:
Canard was yelling and pointing at the guy what to do and he just stood there waving his flag.. clueless. I gotta believe they're given some...
Canard was yelling and pointing at the guy what to do and he just stood there waving his flag.. clueless. I gotta believe they're given some sort of instruction beforehand... unreal..
As stated by you, he was doing his job, waving his flag to warn riders of danger after the jump, what more do you want? Do expect a flagger to stop traffic all together so tc could pick up his bike? Expect him to run across the track to stop traffic just in front of tc?

Ya, there needs to be a better way, but the instance you mention the guy was doing his job...
Ebs
7/27/2014 10:24am
gt80rider wrote:
As stated by you, he was doing his job, waving his flag to warn riders of danger after the jump, what more do you want? Do...
As stated by you, he was doing his job, waving his flag to warn riders of danger after the jump, what more do you want? Do expect a flagger to stop traffic all together so tc could pick up his bike? Expect him to run across the track to stop traffic just in front of tc?

Ya, there needs to be a better way, but the instance you mention the guy was doing his job...
That guy was down on the landing side of the jump quite a ways. Was there another flagger on the run up or face of the jump? That's what Canard seems to be motioning for, for him to get up and over to the other side.
bd
7/27/2014 10:31am
Have one set of flaggers who attend all events. They receive free airfare, attendance, hotel and food allowance. They take an extensive course on how to flag. As far as this flagger, common sense states to move to the peak of the jump since Trey is on blind side of jump.
bd
7/27/2014 10:32am
Muezh wrote:
Canard was yelling and pointing at the guy what to do and he just stood there waving his flag.. clueless. I gotta believe they're given some...
gt80rider wrote:
As stated by you, he was doing his job, waving his flag to warn riders of danger after the jump, what more do you want? Do...

He needed to move to the peak of jump. Its was blind side.

Post a reply to: How is it 2014 and we still have flaggers at Nats that have no clue

The Latest