How in the world did James get a concussion?

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 3/24/2012 6:39pm
Does someone have a different angle of the crash because all the videos I've seen, I can't even see when he hit his head. Just curious
|
rcm406
3/21/2012 11:26am
#48 & #72 had nowhere to go, plowed into K-dub's bike, causing the #14 machine to flip on James' head.

Watch on hi-def full screen.

https://youtu.be/h3IocQ7u9JA
OK, I see it now. It still didnt look like a hard hit though. I quess looks can be deceiving.
peelout
3/21/2012 11:31am
the helmet cam version shows it a lot better... hard f**kin' hit that's for sure
Hank_Thrill
3/21/2012 11:32am
rcm406 wrote:
OK, I see it now. It still didnt look like a hard hit though. I quess looks can be deceiving.
I think it was during the heat race highlights that they showed the wreck at actual speed. It makes more sense then seeing how fast that bike came around on top of him. I couldn't find the clip on youtube.

The Shop

Lightning78
3/21/2012 11:42am
After listening to the indy recap w matthes my theory about James not riding bec he is too far back and can't get the bike to work may have a little merit to it now .... I think he may sit out the rest of the rounds and MAYBE ride outdoors if he can make the bike work for him.... Imo that bike isn't working for him and its easy to see, when has his dad EVER not wanted him to race on top of the fact that he passed the baseline test he never had data for? Seems odd and they may have pulled the plug....just a theory no need to trash it but we may see some interesting things go down over the next couple months if true.
jndmx
3/21/2012 11:42am
peelout wrote:
the helmet cam version shows it a lot better... hard f**kin' hit that's for sure

The helmet cam shot of the wheel dropping over and whacking him looked like it was a solid hit right on his head.
mac3-d
3/21/2012 12:46pm
they could'nt find a helmet big enough. his head is so'oooooo big they had to gouge out most of the padding from inside the helmet for it to fit him !
3/21/2012 12:48pm
peelout wrote:
where is this helmet cam version? I heard it was ALbertsons?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/21/2012 12:48pm
mac3-d wrote:
they could'nt find a helmet big enough. his head is so'oooooo big they had to gouge out most of the padding from inside the helmet for...
they could'nt find a helmet big enough. his head is so'oooooo big they had to gouge out most of the padding from inside the helmet for it to fit him !
I guess you missed the memo from last weekend...
kongols
3/21/2012 12:52pm
mac3-d wrote:
they could'nt find a helmet big enough. his head is so'oooooo big they had to gouge out most of the padding from inside the helmet for...
GuyB wrote:
LaughingGrinningCheerful
karnivool
3/21/2012 12:58pm
mac3-d wrote:
GuyB wrote:
open season...
Overdrive
3/21/2012 1:13pm
mac3-d wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Really, the helmet comment could have been left out of the thread. It seriously added nothing to the conversation.

As for the comment that he sat it out and is going to set out the rest of the season because of the bike is silly. That was one heck of a hit from two different bikes. I give him credit, that would have made me say I am going to take the night off as well. He got pounded hard when Kevins bike came down on him.
Hank_Thrill
3/21/2012 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 4:29pm
peelout wrote:
jndmx wrote:

The helmet cam shot of the wheel dropping over and whacking him looked like it was a solid hit right on his head.
His Go-Pro actually separated from his helmet during the crash before the tire hit it. When the medical crew is tending to him it is missing from his helmet, and even appears to be on the ground.

If you pause the Go-Pro video, the bike that rides over the camera appears to be a Kawasaki judging by the green blur, with a rider who is putting his foot down. Also note the carnage is taking place to the right of the camera. Pretty sure the camera got ran over by the #54 machine, causing it to tumble down the jump multiple times before coming to a halt. The only other way for the camera to tumble around like that were if James' Bell came off his head.

- A good reference point to compare both videos is the Honda rolling over the third jump before the #54 rear wheel rides over the camera.

Replay/Go Pro footage are around 23-60 second mark
https://youtu.be/wdwkyRwlbtc

Here's the heat race link. I think you can actually see the Go Pro on the ground while they are zoomed up on him at the 25 second mark. Someone should check their DVR because 480 is as high as the quality goes. https://youtu.be/latmhcuv7WE
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
3/21/2012 1:20pm
His Go-Pro actually separated from his helmet during the crash before the tire hit it. When the medical crew is tending to him it is missing...
His Go-Pro actually separated from his helmet during the crash before the tire hit it. When the medical crew is tending to him it is missing from his helmet, and even appears to be on the ground.

If you pause the Go-Pro video, the bike that rides over the camera appears to be a Kawasaki judging by the green blur, with a rider who is putting his foot down. Also note the carnage is taking place to the right of the camera. Pretty sure the camera got ran over by the #54 machine, causing it to tumble down the jump multiple times before coming to a halt. The only other way for the camera to tumble around like that were if James' Bell came off his head.

- A good reference point to compare both videos is the Honda rolling over the third jump before the #54 rear wheel rides over the camera.

Replay/Go Pro footage are around 23-60 second mark
https://youtu.be/wdwkyRwlbtc

Here's the heat race link. I think you can actually see the Go Pro on the ground while they are zoomed up on him at the 25 second mark. Someone should check their DVR because 480 is as high as the quality goes. https://youtu.be/latmhcuv7WE
Can you point me in the direction of the go-pro footage? I haven't been able to find it yet.
Hank_Thrill
3/21/2012 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 1:35pm
They replay the crash before the main at around 23 seconds showing both the Go-Pro and Speed footage (video above).
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
3/21/2012 1:30pm
They replay the crash before the main at around 23 seconds showing both the Go-Pro and Speed footage (video above).
Ahh, thank you. I have no idea how I missed it on the original broadcast.
IceMan446
3/21/2012 1:52pm
Probably from KDubs bike smacking his head. Looks like the swingarm/rear wheel area hit him pretty good.
TDeath21
3/21/2012 4:13pm
Kind of off topic, but is GoPro going to show their footage of the main events? Obviously their top rider only has 10 seconds worth of footage, but I always enjoyed watching all of them.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
3/21/2012 4:27pm
mac3-d wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Shootin' fish in a barrel...

Anyways, is Stewart out for Toronto, the season, what?
RaceFace
3/21/2012 4:32pm
The other issue with concussions is they come easier as they grow in number. I think the number is 9 for him now? That is a lot.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/21/2012 5:02pm
Mr. Ted wrote:
Shootin' fish in a barrel...

Anyways, is Stewart out for Toronto, the season, what?
You know what I know...what he posted in his note earlier this week.
KTMLew
3/21/2012 6:16pm
James Stewart‏@js7Reply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Everyone sorry I haven't updated u guys 2day. Working with the docs still 2 find out everything 1st. Thx 4 understanding & news to come soon

21hrs ago
Hank_Thrill
3/21/2012 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 6:38pm
RaceFace wrote:
The other issue with concussions is they come easier as they grow in number. I think the number is 9 for him now? That is a...
The other issue with concussions is they come easier as they grow in number. I think the number is 9 for him now? That is a lot.
Another thing that has not been mentioned on here is how concussions also affect concentration and focus. I can see how that might not be that big of a deal if you are a basketball player, poker player, pool player, etc. (well, besides getting yelled at by your coach and losing a lot of money), but losing focus on a dirt scoot may have more physical consequences. I remember David Bailey attributing many crashes back in the day to a fade in concentration.

Also, there was a podcast last fall/summer where Reed talked about not being able to run his normal pace at Washougal that he had been prior to the crash at Millville, because he didn't feel as mentally sharp and on point from the lingering affects of his concussion. Hope James takes all the time he needs to come back fully prepared.

One more thing. In the heat race video, a flagger picks up the Go-Pro off the ground and hands it to the track official.
Smitch
3/21/2012 7:12pm
That number 48 bike seemed to him him REAL hard...??
TDeath21
3/22/2012 3:37am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2012 3:38am
Another thing that has not been mentioned on here is how concussions also affect concentration and focus. I can see how that might not be that...
Another thing that has not been mentioned on here is how concussions also affect concentration and focus. I can see how that might not be that big of a deal if you are a basketball player, poker player, pool player, etc. (well, besides getting yelled at by your coach and losing a lot of money), but losing focus on a dirt scoot may have more physical consequences. I remember David Bailey attributing many crashes back in the day to a fade in concentration.

Also, there was a podcast last fall/summer where Reed talked about not being able to run his normal pace at Washougal that he had been prior to the crash at Millville, because he didn't feel as mentally sharp and on point from the lingering affects of his concussion. Hope James takes all the time he needs to come back fully prepared.

One more thing. In the heat race video, a flagger picks up the Go-Pro off the ground and hands it to the track official.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think grown men should be able to make decisions for themselves on whether or not they can go back into the game (in football or whatever sport), because it is their body and their decision. However, in SX/MX, it shouldn't be their call, because what they do can put 19 or 39 other men's lives in danger as well.
Knate
3/22/2012 6:40am
I grew up racing against James in Florida since he was on 60's. We were always in the same class. Big James was known at the time for pulling Bubba off of the bike if he was getting a little too wild. He'd rather see his son get a DNF rather than get injured.
FARANG
3/22/2012 7:54am
The more concussions you get the easier they are to get.

Same as boxers, at the start of their career they can take loads of punishment and still finish the fight. Once they've been knocked out a couple of times it gets much easier to stop them. There are lots of examples but Meldrick Taylor and Jermain Taylor are good ones. Once the punch resistance is gone its gone and towards the end of their careers you could pretty much blow these guys over. Stewart has had how many serious concussions now? 10?

If he was a boxer they'd be considering withdrawing his license. MX is well behind the times in terms of neurology. I hope he gets checked out properly this time because I agree with the OP that it didn't look like a massive impact and yet he looked like he didn't know where he was.
mgifracing
Fantasy
357th
3/22/2012 8:53am
I think the biggest problem is the helmet, He needs an Arai or a Shoei, The lid he is wearing is a bucket.

Post a reply to: How in the world did James get a concussion?

The Latest