How important is "Network TV" to our sport?

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 11:04pm
I saw these stats posted at the bottom of this JGR Southwick PR

Attendance at last week’s Budd’s Creek pro national was 21,600. There were 60,698 live stream stats. The first motos aired live on Fuel TV with viewership of 29,000, the second 450 moto was live on NBC with 432,000 watching.

That is the first time i have seen hard #'s of the TV viewing audience. For NBC to bring in almost 500k, that is doing pretty damn good in my book.

I remember when the Ultimate Fighter series started and the UFC/Dana White were pretty stoked to hit almost half a mill....and it was a huge milestone when they broke their 1st million. (they have now far surpassed those humblers) but i was just using that as a reference.

So, what say you? (and yes i am prepared for the onslaught of differing opinions, some good, and some probably not so good lol)
|
ford832
7/1/2013 6:15am
Very important.Not everyone can-or wants to watch it on the computer.I'd far sooner sit down in front of the tube with a bunch of people and watch the whole show.
71Fish
7/1/2013 6:22am
ocscottie wrote:
I saw these stats posted at the bottom of this [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/JGRMX-Southwick-Results,16081]JGR Southwick PR[/url] [i]Attendance at last week’s Budd’s Creek pro national was 21,600. There were [b]60,698...

Attendance at last week’s Budd’s Creek pro national was 21,600. There were 60,698 live stream stats. The first motos aired live on Fuel TV with viewership of 29,000, the second 450 moto was live on NBC with 432,000 watching.

That is the first time i have seen hard #'s of the TV viewing audience. For NBC to bring in almost 500k, that is doing pretty damn good in my book.

I remember when the Ultimate Fighter series started and the UFC/Dana White were pretty stoked to hit almost half a mill....and it was a huge milestone when they broke their 1st million. (they have now far surpassed those humblers) but i was just using that as a reference.

So, what say you? (and yes i am prepared for the onslaught of differing opinions, some good, and some probably not so good lol)
Hard to believe only 29,000 watched live on Fuel TV. Probably because Fuel TV is only offered on higher priced tiers from cable and sat. providers that people aren't willing to pay. I wonder if 432,000 is considered successful for NBC and makes me wonder what the daily average is for the Tour de France that just started. I would imagine they are somewhat happy with those numbers since America is mostly about stick and ball sports.
Zero
7/1/2013 6:36am
TV is very segmented today. Regular time slots and promoting is a HUGE deal for niche sports. TUF Live did TERRIBLE in the ratings a couple seasons ago, they immediately went back to a pre-recorded show. There are basically two kinds of moto watchers, "hardcore" (people will go out of there way to watch it no matter what medium its being shown) and "casual fan". Getting more casual fans is the key to growth IMO.
Highflier
7/1/2013 6:44am
The reason NBC would be happy with whatever number of viewers they pull, is due to MX Sports paying NBC to air the Nationals. The daypart the broadcast are run usually have local programming. I think the only time NBC is aware moto is on TV is when local affiliates don't run the shows and peeps call or email NBC corporate.

500k for a national broadcast is a pretty small number.

The Shop

Dirtydane
7/1/2013 7:15am
The fuelTV numbers is that including viewers from allisports?
Shawn142
7/1/2013 7:21am
Dirtydane wrote:
No, they are listed separately in Scottie's stats. To give you some perspective Nascar averages a 4.8 share, which is nearly 8 million viewers on their network coverage.
jeffro503
7/1/2013 7:23am
Holy crap!

The NBC broadcast had 14.89 X the amount of viewership than the Fuel broadcast? That is incredible to say the least. I knew it would be more....but almost 15 X more? Almost a 1/2 a million people tuned in to watch those moto's.....which is pretty awesome I think. I myself enjoy the fuel broadcast a lot more , but I wonder if the viewing is a lot lower just because some people don't pay as much attention to that channel or they simply just don't get it?
Dirtydane
7/1/2013 7:28am
Dirtydane wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
No, they are listed separately in Scottie's stats. To give you some perspective Nascar averages a 4.8 share, which is nearly 8 million viewers on their...
No, they are listed separately in Scottie's stats. To give you some perspective Nascar averages a 4.8 share, which is nearly 8 million viewers on their network coverage.
Oh sorry i missed that line with the live stream ^^

I think the stream would have a lot more viewers if we(without NBC) had the option to see both motos.

Now i dont watch the stream anymore since its to hard to only see one moto then wait for 24h.
thatdad
7/1/2013 7:36am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2013 7:39am
My son, a friend, and I went from PA to Southwick last weekend. It was fun, but about one outdoor and one supercross per year is enough for me.

I could have watched it on the big screen, been at home in the ac, and texted back and forth with my other kid in Florida, all for free. I will still probably watch it on tv when I can.

And I could have even bitched about the tv coverage on vital while I was watching it too.
Holigan
7/1/2013 7:45am
To give a comparison, I produced a television series for 11 years called Your New House. It was broadcast in syndication and on cable.

Syndication is where you go market by market and sign the best deal you can with a local network affiliate or independent station for the best time period you can get. Out of 212 television markets in the US, Your New House normally aired in 150 to 160 markets each weekend. Time periods were from 5 am to 3 pm Saturday or Sunday, depending on the station. We averaged 1,000,000 households per weekend broadcast.

For cable, we had a three year deal with Discovery Channel to air Monday through Friday at 6 pm EST. Those broadcasts averaged about 350,000 households.

Being on a cable network is great, being on a broadcast network is huge. Advertisers and sponsors are looking for the most viewers possible when they are preparing to cut a check. Sales are about a funnel, you start with the largest number of potential customers possible and your sales are some percentage of that number. Bigger is better.
Uncleof2
7/1/2013 7:50am
I would think that those numbers would be a bit skewed as Moto is usually watched by groups of people who have the channels.
We have it on at our dealership and at least 10-20 people are there watching the race.
OldYZRider1
7/1/2013 8:21am
I suppose for the advertisers its a really big deal to be on TV but as a fan of the sport I think the capture of the "activity" is rather poor. The only MX coverage I've seen that I thought really "drew you in" was the Canadian Nationals a few years ago when they had a lot of cameras on the ground. You could see the elevation changes and great corner action.

The coverage we see in the MX Nationals really dilutes and flattens the tracks down. The big hill at Millville looks almost like a gentle slope on TV and whoops look like a small bumps. If a casual viewer didn't know any different they might not think MX took place on very extreme terrain and the riders certainly wouldn't need to be all that fit to ride it. Which is a shame and couldn't be further from the truth.

Be cool to see some super slow mo footage ln MX like the MotoGP broadcasts are showing.

How do the broadcasters know how many viewers are watching? How accurate can those numbers really be? I can see the streaming numbers being very accurate; the others I'm not so sure of.
Holigan
7/1/2013 8:28am
The television viewership numbers come from Nielsen. They are about as accurate as numbers from Youthstream, meaning not at all accurate. But that is the only thing that advertisers and sponsors have to go by when it comes to television.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
7/1/2013 9:14am
I can see why NBC has the most viewers. For example myself; I watch the 1st motos online because I dont have fuel, but I watch the 2nd motos on NBC because I'd rather watch them in the big screen then my iPad. Alot more people have NBC, alot don't have fuel, and it's probably 50/50 with Internet. Obviously we need all 4 motos on a network channel. The numbers from fuel and alli is probably mostly the hardcore Moto fans. Looks like that's the only way were gonna grow to have a fan base like NASCAR or the tour, is to have a good network tv package. I'm sure well get there eventually. We have come a long way from motoworld and Speedworld on espn back when I was growing up!
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
7/1/2013 9:36am
Do those numbers account for DVR or time shifting? I have always wondered about that, as on a Saturday afternoon most of us are out doing something else.
7/1/2013 9:40am
In my opinion the further you go back the better the sport was. As a fan I don't get any more pleasure in watching a live supercross than I did listening to the internet audio broadcast. As far as the Nationals go, a Saturday live broadcast means i need to DVR it anyway. So for those trying to earn money from the sport or "grow" it, then of course network television is very important, but for many fans it seems the more the sport grows the less compelling it is to watch. Anyways, motocross isn't meant to be watched on T.V. with a cold beer while laying on the couch, it is meant to be watched in person with a warm beer to rinse the dust out of your mouth.
Weege
7/1/2013 10:04am
One part of the TV ratings equation that often gets forgotten is the influence on sponsors that support the teams--and ultimately pay the riders. We all want to see more money for the riders, and we usually think of that as purse money, but look at it this way:

Bigger TV ratings means an outside sponsor, like Rockstar Energy Drink, will spend more money supporting a team. Thanks to Rockstar, Ryan Sipes, Davi Millsaps, Nico Izzi, Blake Wharton and Jason Anderson make a salary to race professionally in this sport. More ratings equals more sponsorship money which means more money for them. Nearly every team out there has an outside sponsor now--if Monster wasn't impressed with TV ratings, maybe Pro Circuit goes from its current seven-rider lineup to four. Maybe GEICO cuts its funding and Wil Hahn is out of a job. Maybe RAM doesn't back RCH Suzuki, and Broc Tickle is out of work. Maybe Discount Tire doesn't back Chad Reed. Maybe N-FAB doesn't support its team, and Nicoletti and Blose go without rides. You can go on forever with this equation. Remember, back in the 1980s when the sport didn't have this kind of exposure, there were probably 8-10 good paying rides total in the entire paddock. Now there's probably triple that. It's not a coincidence. No doubt sponsors are thrilled to get 500,000 on network TV compared 29,000 on FUEL TV, and that sponsor money works its way into riders pockets, and prevents them from becoming privateers. Think about it.
yota
7/1/2013 10:11am
I suspect the high NBC numbers include a lot of viewers who click on NBC Sports, see that MX is on and then turn to another channel, just like I do when I am flipping channels and see Nascar is on. doesn't mean they watched any of the race.
Titan1
7/1/2013 10:15am
How do those ratings work anyway?

Do you just have to click to the channel, or watch it for a minimum amount of time?

Does it count if a DVR records it?
Weege
7/1/2013 10:36am
There are always questions over the accuracy of Nielsen TV ratings, but what does matter is the MX ratings are counted the same way every other thing on TV is counted. So if you're a sponsor/advertiser trying to decide where to spend your money, it's an even playing field, ratings are ratings and you can compare one show to another quite easily. And those ratings determine where they spend the money. Hopefully when team sponsors see that half-mil number for the NBC show, it makes them want to stick around or even spend more!

By the way, one thing that really helps live sports these days is the DVR. There's much less time shifting in a live sporting event than a TV pre-recorded TV show, and advertisers and networks are obviously scared that everyone forwards through the commercials during the pre recorded stuff. It's not as likely in a live sports game or race, although obviously some people still do it. But if you're a network trying to sell commercials people will actually watch, live sports are better, and that's why you're seeing such a huge push toward live sports coverage. That's why you're suddenly seeing NBC Sports Net, Fox Sports 1(coming soon) and a CBS Sports Network on cable, where those channels didn't even exist in the days before the DVR. Live TV is more important than ever--so sports and live "results based" shows like American Idol are the ideal fodder for TV channels in the DVR era.
MBBadgers
7/1/2013 10:58am
maybe it's the tv provider? i have directv and it's easy to search "motorcycle racing" and it gave me many options to dvr the southwick national, moto 1's on speed and moto 2's on nbc and speed played them all weekend long.
Holigan
7/1/2013 11:02am
Titan1 wrote:
How do those ratings work anyway? Do you just have to click to the channel, or watch it for a minimum amount of time? Does it...

Do you just have to click to the channel, or watch it for a minimum amount of time?

Five minutes out of every 15 minutes of broadcast. So if just flipping channels, it does not count. Yes, DVR counts.

It is not an accurate system. But the companies Weege listed live and die by those numbers. They will take their money and go elsewhere if the numbers are low. Everyone wants the riders to make more money. Television makes that possible.
MBBadgers
7/1/2013 11:05am
Titan1 wrote:
How do those ratings work anyway? Do you just have to click to the channel, or watch it for a minimum amount of time? Does it...

Holigan wrote:
Five minutes out of every 15 minutes of broadcast. So if just flipping channels, it does not count. Yes, DVR counts. It is not an accurate...
Five minutes out of every 15 minutes of broadcast. So if just flipping channels, it does not count. Yes, DVR counts.

It is not an accurate system. But the companies Weege listed live and die by those numbers. They will take their money and go elsewhere if the numbers are low. Everyone wants the riders to make more money. Television makes that possible.
just curious, it's not everyone either, it's only the families who are signed up for the neilsen program, correct? that's why some shows get canceled easily, because most of the people who seem to be part of the neilsen program tend to be very conservative (not talking politics here)?
Titan1
7/1/2013 11:26am
Titan1 wrote:

Holigan wrote:
Five minutes out of every 15 minutes of broadcast. So if just flipping channels, it does not count. Yes, DVR counts. It is not an accurate...

Thanks!

I always wondered that. Now I know.
Holigan
7/1/2013 12:55pm
MBBadgers wrote:
just curious, it's not everyone either, it's only the families who are signed up for the neilsen program, correct? that's why some shows get canceled easily...
just curious, it's not everyone either, it's only the families who are signed up for the neilsen program, correct? that's why some shows get canceled easily, because most of the people who seem to be part of the neilsen program tend to be very conservative (not talking politics here)?
Homes are randomly selected by Nielsen. There are two ways they measure the ratings:

1. Overnight ratings. Electronic boxes that are attached to all the televisions in a Nielsen families home. They monitor everything watched in the home and send the info direct to Nielsen. Not sure of the numbers now, but it used to be 12,500 monitored homes spread over the largest 65 television markets in the US.

2. Weekly ratings. Diaries are mailed to 5,000 homes each week, spread over all 212 television markets. The family or individual has to fill them out, and then mail them back to Nielsen.

The problem is these numbers don't usually match. I was at a TV convention and my Nielsen rep came up and said "Congrats, you pulled a 1.4 this week in the overnights." Great, my highest rating ever. Then the weekly ratings came out on Thursday and it said we got a .8 for the same weekend. Crap. At that time, there were about 100,000,000 households with TV's. So either 1,400,000 homes were tuned in, or 800,000 homes were tuned in. I found my Nielsen rep and asked which number is correct, and she said both. I argued that 12,500 electronic boxes in 65 markets were more accurate then 5,000 handwritten diaries spread over 212 markets. Nielsen says nope, both numbers are correct. Not a perfect system.
kijen
7/1/2013 2:59pm
ocscottie wrote:
I saw these stats posted at the bottom of this [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/JGRMX-Southwick-Results,16081]JGR Southwick PR[/url] [i]Attendance at last week’s Budd’s Creek pro national was 21,600. There were [b]60,698...

I think network TV will be crucial for PRO MX to continue where a few guys can make it a career, however I think it does not impact the sport of MX, affordable bikes would have a greater impact on the health of the sport, but that is a different discussion.

Lot's of people are riding/racing on Sat and not watching TV....I would also say those guys are supporting the sport too.

I think people see MX on TV and think it growing or more popular, I think it hides the fact there are less participants, low bike sales etc.. There is some cool racing shots on TV (between commercials), but to be honest when RV checks out, how much of a race was that...credit to himSmile

having said that, TV doesn't hurt the sport...if viewers keep increasing it means someone is making more moneySmile , that's good for something right!
JW381
7/1/2013 3:14pm
Earlier in the year I was talking to an ex-girlfriend cuz I do shit like that, and she asked me "When did James Stewart switch to Suzuki?" She doesn't frequent Vital, so the only way she would have known that was by seeing one of the CBS broadcasts. To us, they suck, but it's hard to argue that they don't reach a much wider audience than Fuel TV or SPEED. 500K people tuned in to watch a dirtbike race in the middle of a hot (most places) Saturday in June.

In my opinion, MX/SX racing is at a tipping point - it's either going to finally benefit from all the radical changes that have been made to the sport with the intention of reaching the mainstream, or it's going to fall flat on it's face and take a few steps back. What I find frustrating, solely as a fan, is that the action is there. If NASCAR and PGA Golf (I LOVE golf, but not everyone wants to sit down and watch it, same as MX) can get such high ratings, so can motocross. It's exciting, brutal, the racing is usually pretty good. I just wish they would treat it more seriously, like an F1 race or an NFL game, rather than a commercial for the sport. Let the racing action sell itself.

The bigger question is: how popular and mainstream do we want MX to get?
7/1/2013 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2013 3:35pm
I went riding Sat. the TV coverage has had zero effect on the sport as far as I am concerned. I was slow as a kid before there was any TV coverage. I am still slow now with TV coverage.

Other than for people who make their living off of the sport TV is a net loss. That is the reason outside sponsors are brought in. The industry cant support itself so it has to turn to outside sponsors who believe the "show" will bring non participants to the couch who might catch an ad and choose to go buy an energy drink or 10.

I think the appropriate phrase here is "be careful what you wish for". Ask the surfers how they feel about the growth of their sport.
Toste
Fantasy
925th
7/1/2013 4:25pm
ford832 wrote:
Very important.Not everyone can-or wants to watch it on the computer.I'd far sooner sit down in front of the tube with a bunch of people and...
Very important.Not everyone can-or wants to watch it on the computer.I'd far sooner sit down in front of the tube with a bunch of people and watch the whole show.
Nearly all modern TVs can be easily connected to a computer or mobile device with an HDMI cable. I watch the SX Live show that way every week.
Toste
Fantasy
925th
7/1/2013 4:44pm
I could be dead wrong, but I can't envision any scenario in the future where traditional broadcast TV isn't a dying paradigm. The expression "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" comes to mind.

For MX, appealing to the "casual viewer" is a bit of a unicorn chase. TPTB in American moto would be wise not to base any of their decision making too heavily on that particular demographic. Supposing that Charlie Channelsurfer actually does happen upon the TV broadcast, what are the odds he stays tuned to endure the frequent, repetitive commercial breaks...or the ad content very thinly masquerading as "features" (I'm looking at you, animated Kawasaki track map before every single moto)? I can barely stomach it myself, and I have been a motocross fan my entire life.

I prefer the MX-Life subscription/PPV format. I know all the arguments against it, and it may not be perfect, but it is a lot less commercialized, and can be watched at any time, at any place that has an internet connection.

Post a reply to: How important is "Network TV" to our sport?

The Latest