How does Roczen keep feet on pegs through corners?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/7/2016 5:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2018 7:32 AM

Have you noticed Ken Roczen keeping his feet on the pegs through berms? Sometimes even deep berms. How does he manage this difficult maneuver? He practices the techniques that apply. I’ve been teaching these practice techniques since 1990. Here’s a clip from my 2nd video showing it, it's from the “Making the MC and Rider Become 1” DVD or Stream. 28 Techniques DVDs/Streams. Save big on Value Packs. https://gsmxs.com/shop/rider-motorcycle-become-one/

http://www.gsmxs.com/category/dvds
|

[b]"BECOME A BETTER, SAFER RIDER"

Gary Semics MX Schools and Technique DVDs

7/7/2016 5:57 AM

Always helpful thanks Gary

|

7/7/2016 5:59 AM

b&b balance and balls

|

7/7/2016 6:16 AM

I notice when I'm doing a lot of mountain biking and then go ride moto I keep my feet on the pegs a lot more. If I don't ride the mountain bike much, I start sticking my legs out more on the motorcycle. Roczen's balance while cornering is incredible.

|

Follow or donate to my girlfriend's spinal cord injury recovery efforts at Yvonne's Path Through Paralysis

7/7/2016 8:11 AM

Love this shot, i believe is by Cudby:

Photo

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

7/7/2016 8:43 AM

I am glad someone fast and a former pro has mentioned what Roczen is doing right now on the bike.
I would say if his Father taught him how to ride his dad is a great riding coach.

Super smooth, super fast, super starts, super attitude. We are seeing something very special, it's boring as heck but great for KR94. I imagine Everts and Stewart are watching and saying good things about his racing.
The only thing that is strange is the super human factor, dude is doing things that do not seem possible, like Stewart in Toronto, but I should keep my thoughts to myself on that one.

|

7/7/2016 8:55 AM

outbackmytrack wrote:

I am glad someone fast and a former pro has mentioned what Roczen is doing right now on the bike.
I would say if his Father taught him how to ride his dad is a great riding coach.

Super smooth, super fast, super starts, super attitude. We are seeing something very special, it's boring as heck but great for KR94. I imagine Everts and Stewart are watching and saying good things about his racing.
The only thing that is strange is the super human factor, dude is doing things that do not seem possible, like Stewart in Toronto, but I should keep my thoughts to myself on that one.

stew in toronto 2014 was unreal, rewatched it so many times

|

7/7/2016 8:57 AM

outbackmytrack wrote:

Must be a robot....

|

7/7/2016 9:25 AM

Great video & great observation! Another benefit of this technique is, it is much safer for your knees & ankles to be on the pegs!

|

7/7/2016 9:33 AM

Andrew337 wrote:

I notice when I'm doing a lot of mountain biking and then go ride moto I keep my feet on the pegs a lot more. If I don't ride the mountain bike much, I start sticking my legs out more on the motorcycle. Roczen's balance while cornering is incredible.

I noticed the same thing especially when I started down hill, it also teaches you how to maintain momentum through the corner since its nearly impossible to pump until after completing the turn!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

7/7/2016 9:56 AM

Everts was the master of riding through corners on the pegs, Stefan was the most boring rider to watch, smooth and looked slow. His epic battles with Smets were a night and day different riding style, Joel just straight ahead man handling the bike while Stefan just seemed to glide and never used any energy, have a look at Stefan's calfs back in his prime, enormous

|

"If you don't crash a lot, you just ain't going fast enough" Danny

7/7/2016 9:56 AM

He just posted that, watch the first turn.. blows my mind

|

7/7/2016 9:58 AM

I can go through almost any corner while standing on the pegs. The issue is that it's 10x slower for me than sitting down because I suck at it.

|

7/7/2016 10:18 AM

Herlings and Roczen both do it a lot. Although I would rate Herlings technique higher than Roczens any day!

|

7/7/2016 10:23 AM

Anyone have the Stewart picture from Hipoint a few years back. Going thru a deep rut, lot of speed, just standing all the way thru it. Me and a friend were standing there and just couldn't believe it.

|

2013 KTM 450SXF, 1983 YZ 250K, & 1983 CR 250

7/7/2016 10:53 AM

Madmax31 wrote:

Anyone have the Stewart picture from Hipoint a few years back. Going thru a deep rut, lot of speed, just standing all the way thru it. Me and a friend were standing there and just couldn't believe it.

No, but I remember when Everts rode around the outside of Steward standing on the pegs in a deep rut at MXdN in 2006w00t

|

7/7/2016 10:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/7/2016 10:58 AM

GarySemics wrote:

Have you noticed Ken Roczen keeping his feet on the pegs through berms? Sometimes even deep berms. How does he manage this difficult maneuver? He practices the techniques that apply. I’ve been teaching these practice techniques since 1990. Here’s a clip from my 2nd video showing it, it's from the “Making the MC and Rider Become 1” DVD or Stream. 28 Techniques DVDs/Streams. Save big on Value Packs. https://gsmxs.com/shop/rider-motorcycle-become-one/

http://www.gsmxs.com/category/dvds

You know what.. Its a euro thing, you wouldnt understand laughing the US invented scrubs, the euroes knows how to stand up through ruts and ride sand tracks.. Just messing around of cause tongue

Edit: ment to quote the OP.

|

7/7/2016 11:01 AM

he has to stand through corners, his balls are probably so big he can't sit down

|

7/7/2016 11:04 AM

Madmax31 wrote:

You mean this one?Photo

|

7/7/2016 11:06 AM

This kind of reminds me of that one time I stood up through a corner

|

7/7/2016 11:21 AM

I think we are getting set to watch Roczen put on a riding clinic this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put 45 sec plus on the field if he stays on the gas the whole time.

|

7/7/2016 11:36 AM

Amazing skill these guys on the pegs
Think he's got sand coveredPhoto

|

7/7/2016 12:17 PM

I've ridden BMX my whole life and I think it helps with balance in the ruts. I mean we are able to balance on a rail with both tires so that would definitely teach you some precision. Some of the same techniques apply like looking forward and focusing where you are going and not where you are type stuff.

|

Ex Pro BMX rider. Lover of all 2 wheeled machines.

1978 XR75
1994 KX250
1997 KX250
2008 CRF450
2004 YZ250

7/7/2016 12:22 PM

outbackmytrack wrote:

Nothing boring at all about Ken's riding imho. Watching him in person ride away from the pack and seeing all the little body movements and subtle corrections as he navigates the track is super interesting! He is a moto maestro at the moment!

|

7/7/2016 12:30 PM

Roczen is a badass in the sand! I hope ET has something for him at southwick, but, it might be, as UFO once sang: " lights out London" ...

|

7/7/2016 12:37 PM

disbanded wrote:

This kind of reminds me of that one time I stood up through a corner

Hahaha touché! laughing

|

KX125

7/7/2016 12:48 PM

motomike137 wrote:

Nothing boring at all about Ken's riding imho. Watching him in person ride away from the pack and seeing all the little body movements and subtle corrections as he navigates the track is super interesting! He is a moto maestro at the moment!

To watch Ken ride right now is beautiful, almost perfection

|

7/7/2016 1:35 PM

One thing I thought about, two years ago, at Muds Creek, when Stewart had that sudden-stop-crash in the long left hander and his family jewelry got a beating (although, apparently, not too bad of a hit), was that that type of crash in particular would never have had happened to Roczen, Everts or Herlings. That was entirely due to Stewart sitting down. Rear shock rebounding and so on...

That's the great benefit of standing on the pegs as much as Roczen and Herlings do (and Everts and and a few others used to do (JMB comes to mind)), you don't get those uncalculated shock rebounds that will throw you off.

There was an awesome sequence, late, in the last moto at Redbud. You got to follow Barcia for a half a lap or so and shortly after a half a lap or so Roczen. The difference is apparent, I don't think I have to spell it out, and has very little to do, imho, with bike settings.

|

7/7/2016 1:43 PM

Madmax31 wrote:

DP#201 wrote:

No, but I remember when Everts rode around the outside of Steward standing on the pegs in a deep rut at MXdN in 2006w00t

Stefan was the master

|

"If you don't crash a lot, you just ain't going fast enough" Danny

7/7/2016 1:56 PM

I miss watching Stefan ride, almost boring but truly effortless style, always a gear high low revs, his battles with Pichon were great to contrast the styles. Think it's a more 'old school' style and probably wouldn't be as competitive with the jumps and rythmn sections on a modern mx track.

|