How does RockyMountain make money

yz133rider
1/10/2019 12:56pm
I work for another big Ecom retailer in this space and I can say without a doubt RM is not getting standard dealer and they most...
I work for another big Ecom retailer in this space and I can say without a doubt RM is not getting standard dealer and they most likely don't sell anything at a lost. They're closeout buys are huge and at a deep discount which is why they can offer a deep discount to the customer as well. For regular price items that don't have a MAP, they are more aggressive than the rest of us which I personally don't like since that undercuts dealers who can't be competitive. If we had it our way, all items would be at full MSRP and everyone competes on service instead of price.

As far as local dealers go, the real problem is most of them are bad. They don't stock anything, they are not as knowledgable, and they don't communicate well. There's been multiple times I order OEM parts from a dealer and I never get told if the part ever showed up. I usually have to end up following up multiple times before they finally say yep it's here come and pick it up a couple weeks after I ordered it. I definitely don't want them to go away but they have to do something or it's looking like that's most likely going to happen.
Im glad you dont have it your way because id hate to pay full msrp....
Broughton859
1/10/2019 1:07pm
yz133rider wrote:
I shouldn't have said full MSRP rather I should have said whatever MAP is. So 10%, 15%, or whatever the brand wants in order to keep the value of their brand high is what I want. For example we all know tire MSRP's are just outrageous and no one should sell for that price so setting a MAP at something like 30% off like Dunlop did for some of their street tires is beneficial.
yz133rider
1/10/2019 1:13pm
yz133rider wrote:
I shouldn't have said full MSRP rather I should have said whatever MAP is. So 10%, 15%, or whatever the brand wants in order to keep...
I shouldn't have said full MSRP rather I should have said whatever MAP is. So 10%, 15%, or whatever the brand wants in order to keep the value of their brand high is what I want. For example we all know tire MSRP's are just outrageous and no one should sell for that price so setting a MAP at something like 30% off like Dunlop did for some of their street tires is beneficial.
Eh our hobby is no different than anything else. Amazon, ebay, walmart, e retailers have made it so small time dealers and stores have to evolve or die. No reason to make the consumers pay more to keep it "fair" for the local guy. The local guys need to evolve, offer something you cant get from an e giant etc.

As far as how does rocky even make money... I used to think their deals were even better than they are now and they are still great. Their coupons and discounts for your next orders were more substantial than their cash back program is now. The cash back program is less than the sales tax and really doesnt add up all that much compared to previous programs but still beats the hell out of anything a local dealer will offer, after they order it for you.
Bry145
1/11/2019 11:13am
Put the competition out of business, then jack up the prices.

How many dealers have we lost since 2008?

The Shop

casper
1/11/2019 11:22am
I work for another big Ecom retailer in this space and I can say without a doubt RM is not getting standard dealer and they most...
I work for another big Ecom retailer in this space and I can say without a doubt RM is not getting standard dealer and they most likely don't sell anything at a lost. They're closeout buys are huge and at a deep discount which is why they can offer a deep discount to the customer as well. For regular price items that don't have a MAP, they are more aggressive than the rest of us which I personally don't like since that undercuts dealers who can't be competitive. If we had it our way, all items would be at full MSRP and everyone competes on service instead of price.

As far as local dealers go, the real problem is most of them are bad. They don't stock anything, they are not as knowledgable, and they don't communicate well. There's been multiple times I order OEM parts from a dealer and I never get told if the part ever showed up. I usually have to end up following up multiple times before they finally say yep it's here come and pick it up a couple weeks after I ordered it. I definitely don't want them to go away but they have to do something or it's looking like that's most likely going to happen.
Revzilla?

I order from them to occasionally but mostly for my street bike. It was nice ordering from California and not have to pay sales tax, but I guess that's ended for all now...
Broughton859
1/11/2019 11:38am
casper wrote:
Revzilla? I order from them to occasionally but mostly for my street bike. It was nice ordering from California and not have to pay sales tax...
Revzilla?

I order from them to occasionally but mostly for my street bike. It was nice ordering from California and not have to pay sales tax, but I guess that's ended for all now...
Yep. California hasn't forced us to charge tax yet but they will just like all of the other states will as well. No more internet loophole.

The majority of all of our sales is street oriented but we have been making a push over the last couple years to sell more moto gear and parts. The same for the V-Twin market as well
1/11/2019 12:02pm
Bry145 wrote:
Put the competition out of business, then jack up the prices.

How many dealers have we lost since 2008?

Dealers closing as of 2008 has a lot more to do with the general population moving on from motorcycles as a hobby.

The whole industry needs to innovate and change if it hopes to get back to pre-recession sales volumes.

Post a reply to: How does RockyMountain make money

The Latest