How does Kyle have #11

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3669th
Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 4:17pm
I have always wondered how the rules were a few years ago when Kyle snagged a decent career number...

Any knowledge on how he ended up with #11 and how he has been able to keep it...?

I’m not picking, I really don’t get it...he hasn’t seen a top 5 ever I don’t think
|
Frank
3/3/2018 8:04am
Not that any of our opinions mean jack shit but I really liked the rider numbers changing based on prior year combined SX and MX results. This horseshit we have now is for vanity purpose only.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/3/2018 8:15am
He was top 10 in supercross one year so he was able to get a career number
Ted722
3/3/2018 8:15am
ML explains it. I added the Regional title and single digit stuff.

To earn a career number, you have to finish top ten in points overall for the season (250 & 450 indoors and outdoors combined) or win a Regional 250 SX title. Single digits available for MX or 450SX titles only.

Kyle earned his in 2010 with a 10th overall in 450 SX and a 6th overall in 450 MX. Once he earned a career number (#11 was available) you have to score a minimum of 25 points a year to keep it.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/When-did-Chisholm-earn-1…

Mini Elsinore
3/3/2018 8:18am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 8:22am
Frank wrote:
Not that any of our opinions mean jack shit but I really liked the rider numbers changing based on prior year combined SX and MX results...
Not that any of our opinions mean jack shit but I really liked the rider numbers changing based on prior year combined SX and MX results. This horseshit we have now is for vanity purpose only.
100% agree----run what ya earn. Even a "new fan" can figure out you finished "17th" last year if your number is 17. If you're running higher than your number---good on you; if not----well, then....

But, someone will say:
-"It allows the riders to brand themselves!" Really? How, exactly? Feld will not allow personal rider merch at the venues and other than TLD one would be hard pressed to find any rider merch whatsoever. Hasn't really paid off for JS7 and even less so for LVN100. Roczen doesn't market himself as the "94". He prefers the "1". Dungey didn't improve his finances by running the "5"-----he, too, preferred the "1".
-"Yeah, but it worked for NASCAR!" Really? Do we want to be like the dying series known as NASCAR? I don't think so. And, how many NASCAR guys actually port "their number" to a new team? Answer--zero. The numbers are owned by the car owners (just Ask Dale Jr. about the #8 vs. #88).
-"It helps new fans identify the fast guys!" No it doesn't. The new fan doesn't have a base-line of knowledge re: numbers.

It's just like the "gotta have a semi for pit-presentation and presence, bro!" No. No, you don't---and all this type of artificial hoopla just takes away from what was a true-to-the-bone small audience sport of really dedicated and authentic enthusiasts. Constant growth is unsustainable---that's just common sense (and economic modeling). Artificial growth is worse than natural slow growth---or a downward breather. Just look at the Federal Reserve's endless zero-interest rate policy that created bubbles in multiple markets. Now, rates are edging up (oh, the horror---unless you saved your cash, then it's nirvana), and look what is happening to manufacturing numbers and economic growth (if you can dig and find the real numbers). But, nah, we gotta be like NASCAR. Semi-trucks, bro, semi-trucks.

Rant now turned off. Cool

The Shop

Frank
3/3/2018 8:18am
UpTiTe wrote:
Yes in the 8 round 250 class.
KMC440
3/3/2018 8:20am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 8:24am
Frank wrote:
Not that any of our opinions mean jack shit but I really liked the rider numbers changing based on prior year combined SX and MX results...
To add ... it was instituted for easier fan recognition. The problem is the core fans of the sport hated it and the casual fan didn't give a shit. Ohhhh the dichotomy of it all.
So the real answer is yes it's still fucked up.

And if this is the Frank I'm thinking of... you're still one fast son of a bitch !!!
Mikep147
3/3/2018 8:20am
I've met Kyle on several occassions and got to ride with him at a few Fox Dealer rides. He's a solid dude very friendly and easy to get along with. Like to see him get a solid finish one year for sure.
Mini Elsinore
3/3/2018 8:25am
Ted722 wrote:
ML explains it. I added the Regional title and single digit stuff. To earn a career number, you have to finish top ten in points overall...

To earn a career number, you have to finish top ten in points overall for the season (250 & 450 indoors and outdoors combined) or win a Regional 250 SX title. Single digits available for MX or 450SX titles only.

Kyle earned his in 2010 with a 10th overall in 450 SX and a 6th overall in 450 MX. Once he earned a career number (#11 was available) you have to score a minimum of 25 points a year to keep it.

Well, the "new" or "casual" fan will certainly understand that depth of artificial "hooey." Nah, nah, they won't. Even dedicated fans can't follow that line of sh!t.
Run what ya earned-----how one is performing will be measured by THAT baseline number.
JMO.
Mini Elsinore
3/3/2018 8:27am
I don't Frank on Vital, but I remember Frank Stacy----and that dude was fast, and he proudly ran the number he earned.
Frank
3/3/2018 8:27am
Mikep147 wrote:
I've met Kyle on several occassions and got to ride with him at a few Fox Dealer rides. He's a solid dude very friendly and easy...
I've met Kyle on several occassions and got to ride with him at a few Fox Dealer rides. He's a solid dude very friendly and easy to get along with. Like to see him get a solid finish one year for sure.
This has NOTHING to do with Kyle.
Mikep147
3/3/2018 8:44am
Mikep147 wrote:
I've met Kyle on several occassions and got to ride with him at a few Fox Dealer rides. He's a solid dude very friendly and easy...
Frank wrote:
Sorry Boss i'll check with you before i post again!
Ted722
3/3/2018 8:45am
Ted722 wrote:
ML explains it. I added the Regional title and single digit stuff. To earn a career number, you have to finish top ten in points overall...

Well, the "new" or "casual" fan will certainly understand that depth of artificial "hooey." Nah, nah, they won't. Even dedicated fans can't follow that line of...
Well, the "new" or "casual" fan will certainly understand that depth of artificial "hooey." Nah, nah, they won't. Even dedicated fans can't follow that line of sh!t.
Run what ya earned-----how one is performing will be measured by THAT baseline number.
JMO.
Wait until they go to a "playoff" format. Win the regular season, you're eligible for a 2-digit career number. Win the 6 race "playoff", single digit. Hooey reaches Horse Puckey status. Laughing
3/3/2018 8:56am
Mikep147 wrote:
Frank wrote:
Mikep147 wrote:
LOL
Frank
3/3/2018 8:56am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 8:58am
Mikep147 wrote:
Frank wrote:
Mikep147 wrote:
No disrespect meant. Kyle did what I would do. Take advantage of a broken system for personal gain. That is my point. Fix the broken system. Run the number you earned the prior year. It worked for 35 years without a problem but someone got paid a salary to change it. lol. Again the current system is for vanity purpose only.
Mikep147
3/3/2018 9:20am
Frank wrote:
Mikep147 wrote:
Frank wrote:
No disrespect meant. Kyle did what I would do. Take advantage of a broken system for personal gain. That is my point. Fix the broken system...
No disrespect meant. Kyle did what I would do. Take advantage of a broken system for personal gain. That is my point. Fix the broken system. Run the number you earned the prior year. It worked for 35 years without a problem but someone got paid a salary to change it. lol. Again the current system is for vanity purpose only.
I agree and my post was just a comment on Kyle personally based on my experience. And the current system is rather confusing especially to new or casual fans. MY 12 year old son has recently took in interest and i was trying to explain the numbering system to him and he was confused to say the least .
gt80rider
3/3/2018 9:38am
Kyle totally earned his #11.... Props to him... And while he might not be a podium guy right now, he is exactly a zillion times faster than I ever was...
3/3/2018 1:02pm
Chiz just qualified in 14th for the night show 450 class .....pretty sure he has earned the right to run the number#11
going to take a nap now,
3/3/2018 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 1:09pm
All the numbers being based on the prior years results would be stupid. Please never go back to that.

Just get rid of 250 SX points counting towards national numbers
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/3/2018 1:08pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Frank wrote:
Yes in the 8 round 250 class.
Incorrect, he earned his #11 2010 in the 450 class, which was prior to the 250 class regional Supercross points even being added to the top 10 overall points needed for a career number.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/3/2018 1:12pm
Frank wrote:
100% agree----run what ya earn. Even a "new fan" can figure out you finished "17th" last year if your number is 17. If you're running higher...
100% agree----run what ya earn. Even a "new fan" can figure out you finished "17th" last year if your number is 17. If you're running higher than your number---good on you; if not----well, then....

But, someone will say:
-"It allows the riders to brand themselves!" Really? How, exactly? Feld will not allow personal rider merch at the venues and other than TLD one would be hard pressed to find any rider merch whatsoever. Hasn't really paid off for JS7 and even less so for LVN100. Roczen doesn't market himself as the "94". He prefers the "1". Dungey didn't improve his finances by running the "5"-----he, too, preferred the "1".
-"Yeah, but it worked for NASCAR!" Really? Do we want to be like the dying series known as NASCAR? I don't think so. And, how many NASCAR guys actually port "their number" to a new team? Answer--zero. The numbers are owned by the car owners (just Ask Dale Jr. about the #8 vs. #88).
-"It helps new fans identify the fast guys!" No it doesn't. The new fan doesn't have a base-line of knowledge re: numbers.

It's just like the "gotta have a semi for pit-presentation and presence, bro!" No. No, you don't---and all this type of artificial hoopla just takes away from what was a true-to-the-bone small audience sport of really dedicated and authentic enthusiasts. Constant growth is unsustainable---that's just common sense (and economic modeling). Artificial growth is worse than natural slow growth---or a downward breather. Just look at the Federal Reserve's endless zero-interest rate policy that created bubbles in multiple markets. Now, rates are edging up (oh, the horror---unless you saved your cash, then it's nirvana), and look what is happening to manufacturing numbers and economic growth (if you can dig and find the real numbers). But, nah, we gotta be like NASCAR. Semi-trucks, bro, semi-trucks.

Dungey and K-Roc fall in the era of required number 1, they have to run it when they’re the defending that title, they can’t run their career number then.

Secondly, yes you cnanbrand yourself from a personal sponsor point of view and social media wise with consistent number, it really helps in marketing that can be viewed as more timeless year-to-year. Also to riders such as Reed, Dungey, Baggett, Tomac etc have personal online stores where they do sell product utilizing their known numbers and images.
aees
3/3/2018 3:36pm
I hate when they change number every year. At least now you get a chance to follow and pick up new riders. Otherwise you have to focus on learning the top 20 every year, in 2 classes in us and 2 internationally.

It has major impact on recognition. Seven duece duece is excellent example.

It works great if you ask me.
22 Reed
4 charmichael
94 roczen
5 dungey
722 enticknap
222 cairoli
84 Herlings
7 Stewart
99 anstie

List can go on. Say one of the above that has not benefit from this?
fox1nz
3/3/2018 3:49pm
Should be like here in NZ, 250 has it's own separate numbering system with different color backgrounds.
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3669th
3/3/2018 3:57pm
fox1nz wrote:
Should be like here in NZ, 250 has it's own separate numbering system with different color backgrounds.
Omg I’ve been saying that for years...seems simple.

Once they drop down to the 250 class the permanent number should go bye bye
Mini Elsinore
3/3/2018 4:05pm
Frank wrote:
100% agree----run what ya earn. Even a "new fan" can figure out you finished "17th" last year if your number is 17. If you're running higher...

But, someone will say:

ML512 wrote:
Dungey and K-Roc fall in the era of required number 1, they have to run it when they’re the defending that title, they can’t run their...
Dungey and K-Roc fall in the era of required number 1, they have to run it when they’re the defending that title, they can’t run their career number then.

Secondly, yes you cnanbrand yourself from a personal sponsor point of view and social media wise with consistent number, it really helps in marketing that can be viewed as more timeless year-to-year. Also to riders such as Reed, Dungey, Baggett, Tomac etc have personal online stores where they do sell product utilizing their known numbers and images.
First, you seem like a helluva good guy and I'm certain we would agree on a lot of things.
Semi trucks and permanent numbers will never be among those things..... Cool
RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2351st
3/3/2018 5:52pm
We ride dirt bikes here. We are all superstitious and weird. I couldn't imagine changing my number every year. Chizz earned it, he's been in this game a long time.
mxlegend99
Fantasy
1356th
3/3/2018 7:43pm
aees wrote:
I hate when they change number every year. At least now you get a chance to follow and pick up new riders. Otherwise you have to...
I hate when they change number every year. At least now you get a chance to follow and pick up new riders. Otherwise you have to focus on learning the top 20 every year, in 2 classes in us and 2 internationally.

It has major impact on recognition. Seven duece duece is excellent example.

It works great if you ask me.
22 Reed
4 charmichael
94 roczen
5 dungey
722 enticknap
222 cairoli
84 Herlings
7 Stewart
99 anstie

List can go on. Say one of the above that has not benefit from this?
Agreed 100%.

Travis Pastrana 199 is another i love a number associating with a rider.

4 is RC to me. Not Bagget.
2 is MC to me. Not RV or Webb.

Obviously I know who runs these numbers now. But previous riders were more iconic. Even worse when the brands match up too.
dirtnapper
3/3/2018 9:41pm
Mikep147 wrote:
You have certainly shed a great deal of light on why he has the # 11........

Tongue
Shawn142
3/3/2018 10:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 10:37pm
Anyone who has this question needs to go back to the RacerX Vault and look at Chiz's finishes in 2010. How quickly people forget.. at one time Chiz was a consistent top 10 premier class guy indoors and out with occasional swings inside the top 5. That's how he got a permanent number.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/3/2018 11:29pm

But, someone will say:

ML512 wrote:
Dungey and K-Roc fall in the era of required number 1, they have to run it when they’re the defending that title, they can’t run their...

First, you seem like a helluva good guy and I'm certain we would agree on a lot of things. Semi trucks and permanent numbers will never...
First, you seem like a helluva good guy and I'm certain we would agree on a lot of things.
Semi trucks and permanent numbers will never be among those things..... Cool
No prob, I’m on the opposite end for both those points so we shall agree to disagree. Cool

Post a reply to: How does Kyle have #11

The Latest