How do you guys determine when your front tyre needs changing?

Ash124
Edited Date/Time 5/28/2014 6:27pm
Rear tyres obviously lose their sharpness and occasionally knobs are torn off fairly quickly. The performance drop can be felt, even by this mid pack vet rider, after a couple of race days.

Even after swapping out 2 or 3 rear tyres, the front tyre usually looks decent, with relatively sharp knobs and only very occasional knob chunking. The performance drop is also slower and therefore (for me) harder to detect.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for when you should bin your fronts???

Obviously the correct answer would be a matching set for every race day, but I am a fun for $$ type of competitor and my pace does not warrant a fresh set each race day.
|
erikcrvjl
5/28/2014 2:56am
Ash124 wrote:
Rear tyres obviously lose their sharpness and occasionally knobs are torn off fairly quickly. The performance drop can be felt, even by this mid pack vet...
Rear tyres obviously lose their sharpness and occasionally knobs are torn off fairly quickly. The performance drop can be felt, even by this mid pack vet rider, after a couple of race days.

Even after swapping out 2 or 3 rear tyres, the front tyre usually looks decent, with relatively sharp knobs and only very occasional knob chunking. The performance drop is also slower and therefore (for me) harder to detect.

Obviously the correct answer would be a matching set for every race day, but I am a fun for $$ type of competitor and my pace does not warrant a fresh set each race day.
I've never met anyone who puts on new tires every race, but I change my front once the knobbies look worn.
Crush
5/28/2014 3:46am
Everytime I go out and i'm slow...

"... dunno mate, must be the front tyre..."

Cool
5/28/2014 4:10am
Crush wrote:

Cool
Crush make me laugh! I don't know of any rule of thumb. When it starts slipping and sliding on me I change it out. I used to be poor and would ride tires until they were Maypop brand. Not anymore. You can definitely tell the difference in front tires between a new one and one with medium wear on the knobs.
HenryA
5/28/2014 4:34am
Seems like the knobs on the very outside of the tire fades first. I usually change the tire when they get worn.

The Shop

Crush
5/28/2014 4:46am
Crush wrote:

Cool
Crush make me laugh! I don't know of any rule of thumb. When it starts slipping and sliding on me I change it out. I used...
Crush make me laugh! I don't know of any rule of thumb. When it starts slipping and sliding on me I change it out. I used to be poor and would ride tires until they were Maypop brand. Not anymore. You can definitely tell the difference in front tires between a new one and one with medium wear on the knobs.
Wish I was laughing! haha...

I actually remember being a tyke on a 125, Pretty sure i'd cut the inner wall edge of about 60% the left hand side knobs... and for whatever reason I was practicing starts and just kept hammering through the first left turn on our track, lower and lower, trying to see when it would rip em off.

Weird how when you're a kid and fearless you just go whatever, now, if I feel like my front tyre is half a psi off, I think of my Wife and Daughter and go EVEN slower. haha.
GarySemics
5/28/2014 4:47am
Ash124 wrote:
Rear tyres obviously lose their sharpness and occasionally knobs are torn off fairly quickly. The performance drop can be felt, even by this mid pack vet...

There are two basic ways to tell when to change the front tire:
1. When the sharpness of the knobs get rounded off.
2. After hours of use the side walls have been flexed so much that they become weak. If this happens and you are still using the tire run 2 more pounds of air. Otherwise you have a recipe for a pinched tube.
Vet57
5/28/2014 4:50am
When you start low sidin' way too much...
5/28/2014 4:56am
Ash,
Its actually very easy to see the "rounding" happen. And its nice to have a NEW tire around to compare to. One thing that I believe is that it is MORE important to keep the front sharp vs the rear....meaning that only a little bit of dullness on the knobbies edge is a lot more loss of grip than is felt on the rear.

Though they might still look "OK" after a season.........I still chuck em because I think after all the beating they take that they start to get gooey and weather the knobs are sharp or not , its junk!
MX690
5/28/2014 5:16am
I always think my front tyre looks good until I buy a new one and compare the two. It just blows me away how bad my old one is compared to the new one.
jemcee
5/28/2014 5:38am
haha my mates think I'm super weird but I've never changed a front tyre
and neither has my brother and I used to buy his bikes after he rode them for a season haha
in fact I came 8th overall at a Queensland title meeting on his old bike with a 2 year old front in 1996

yes I am super weird I would just blame myself if I ever tucked the front.. A good test rider I wasn't haha

(so many haha's)

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
5/28/2014 7:12am
jemcee wrote:
haha my mates think I'm super weird but I've never changed a front tyre and neither has my brother and I used to buy his bikes...
and neither has my brother and I used to buy his bikes after he rode them for a season haha
in fact I came 8th overall at a Queensland title meeting on his old bike with a 2 year old front in 1996

yes I am super weird I would just blame myself if I ever tucked the front.. A good test rider I wasn't haha

(so many haha's)

You cheap, cheap, bugger!Laughing
5/28/2014 7:29am
Bought a set of Starcross' off my dads ex-pro friend for $20 cause he was gonna toss em cause the knobbies on the rear were rounded, other than that they were new. To me, the sharpness of the edge doesnt make a difference, coming off a rear tire with about 5-15% tread. My old front had a bunch of knobs broken off. In every corner with the tires that came on the bike, I couldnt tell if the front would push, rear would slideor if itd hook up. Its was an unplesant surprise every corner, I couldnt prepare cause I didnt know how the bike would act. 1st lap with the new corners, I was going way faster because I could carry speed in the corners with more confidance. Id say when you can get grip and the bike isnt predictable in corners is when to change them.
jemcee
5/28/2014 7:37am
jemcee wrote:
haha my mates think I'm super weird but I've never changed a front tyre and neither has my brother and I used to buy his bikes...

(so many haha's)

EZZA 95B wrote:
You cheap, cheap, bugger!Laughing
haha man honestly it had nothing to do with money if my brother didn't do it I didn't do it haha

actually he's a tightarse so maybe it did have something to do with money haha
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
5/28/2014 8:15am
I usually only keep a bike 2 years, don't think I've ever changed a front time...but I'm old and slow.
When I used to race every weekend in the 90's, I would change my back tire around to get a sharp edge. Not sure if it helped or not, but I didn't have any extra money back then...
Flip109
5/28/2014 9:47am
I wait till the knobs start ripping off lol

I used to never care about my front, but after putting a new one on this last time, I realized why my zook wasn't cornering worth a shit. So now I'm gonna be anal about my front.
IceMan446
5/28/2014 9:55am
After I change two rear tires.

I flip the front after the first rear and change it when I change the second rear.
Cygnus
5/28/2014 10:50am
Usually 2 rears to one front is a good rule of thumb.
IWreckALot
5/28/2014 10:53am
IceMan446 wrote:
After I change two rear tires.

I flip the front after the first rear and change it when I change the second rear.
I hate changing tires so if I'm going to take it off, a new one is going back on.
FCMX
5/28/2014 6:27pm
Crush wrote:

Cool
Crush make me laugh! I don't know of any rule of thumb. When it starts slipping and sliding on me I change it out. I used...
Crush wrote:
Wish I was laughing! haha... I actually remember being a tyke on a 125, Pretty sure i'd cut the inner wall edge of about 60% the...
Wish I was laughing! haha...

I actually remember being a tyke on a 125, Pretty sure i'd cut the inner wall edge of about 60% the left hand side knobs... and for whatever reason I was practicing starts and just kept hammering through the first left turn on our track, lower and lower, trying to see when it would rip em off.

Weird how when you're a kid and fearless you just go whatever, now, if I feel like my front tyre is half a psi off, I think of my Wife and Daughter and go EVEN slower. haha.
Ha! You took the words right out of my mouth, lol
Not tire related, but to what crush said:
I used to hit this big double over & over when I was 16 trying to perfect better style while in the air.
I recently went to that same track now 16 years later staring at that double while saying to myself "my wife's gonna kill me if I wad this one up." Lol

So of course....... I went for it and damn near did a flying "w" upon landing. It was about that moment when I realized I'm not 16 anymore,lol

Post a reply to: How do you guys determine when your front tyre needs changing?

The Latest