How do you feel about KTM now???..

robkinuk
Edited Date/Time 8/29/2012 10:47am
Early on when Ryan Dungey signed for Roger deCoster and the new KTM programme, there were loads of posters on here saying how crap, ill handling KTM's were! There was especially a lot of venom towards the KTM SX350F!

Has the championship changed your perspective on the brand ? backed up by their world MXGP success and off road titles.
|
Katoom72
8/28/2012 3:30am
I wonder how the US conservatives think about KTM now. :p
onthepipe
8/28/2012 3:45am
I never quite understood why the US had a hard time "accepting" KTM. Those machines are the best. especially the 2 strokes and the sxf250. When the 4 strokes started you had to be on a KTM or Yamaha 250F... Those were the only fast and reliable machines in MX2.

Maybe it was the PDS? Still KTM dominated europe's motocross scene with PDS.

I also like the idea of having a european built bike instead of a JAP bike.
mccread
8/28/2012 4:12am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2012 4:13am
I feel Gordon Crockard wishes the MX1 GP team was like this when he joined them ten years ago lol

KTM are showing the USA what the rest of the world already new a few years ago.

That 350 is leading the world and British Championship too!
DrSweden
8/28/2012 4:21am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2012 9:10am
KTMs rise a consequence of listening and adapting to the psyche of the market, rather than the actual product became "better". Lemmings these days now feel more accepting to the brand despite no experience of the actual bike...

The Shop

8/28/2012 4:42am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2012 4:43am
For me it was the way you couldn't keep a bolt tight on them in the early 2000's. They seem to be much better now though. They bike have always rode well just had issues in the past and havn't gone back yet. Maybe I got a lemon who knows.

But I will if I ever buy a new bike again. Its a 2T thing now.
skid mark
8/28/2012 5:10am
I have a YZ 250 and a XC 250. The KTM "quirks" still annoy me and make me face palm whenever I find a new one, but overall I like the bike and am not getting rid of it. The niches that KTM is filling with their different bikes is what I like the most and why I support the brand.

When it comes time to work on a bike, hands down I prefer to work on the YZ because it "makes sense". I hope KTM will correct the quirks (if they haven't already, mine's an '09) and continue to develop two strokes and bikes that fill the displacement gaps that exist. I hope to have my wife on a 200 when she can ride again and I see the 350 as an ideal size if I ever go back to a four stroke. Electric start is the shit, also. Never thought it would be until I got it.
8/28/2012 5:52am
skid mark wrote:
I have a YZ 250 and a XC 250. The KTM "quirks" still annoy me and make me face palm whenever I find a new one...
I have a YZ 250 and a XC 250. The KTM "quirks" still annoy me and make me face palm whenever I find a new one, but overall I like the bike and am not getting rid of it. The niches that KTM is filling with their different bikes is what I like the most and why I support the brand.

When it comes time to work on a bike, hands down I prefer to work on the YZ because it "makes sense". I hope KTM will correct the quirks (if they haven't already, mine's an '09) and continue to develop two strokes and bikes that fill the displacement gaps that exist. I hope to have my wife on a 200 when she can ride again and I see the 350 as an ideal size if I ever go back to a four stroke. Electric start is the shit, also. Never thought it would be until I got it.
Can you describe a few of the quirks?
I plan to buy another bike soon and have been wanting a KTM 2 stroke. I've always owned Honda,Yamaha, or Kawasaki - it will be my 1st KTM owned. I've ridden one, but never wrenched on it.
Big
8/28/2012 6:17am
part-timer wrote:
Can you describe a few of the quirks? I plan to buy another bike soon and have been wanting a KTM 2 stroke. I've always owned...
Can you describe a few of the quirks?
I plan to buy another bike soon and have been wanting a KTM 2 stroke. I've always owned Honda,Yamaha, or Kawasaki - it will be my 1st KTM owned. I've ridden one, but never wrenched on it.
Well you will learn how to be a mechanic. Mark my words. don't forget to buy loctite. Never a Ktm in my garage again.
exsarg
8/28/2012 6:19am
i drank the kool aid and bought a 350sx last year. nothin but troubles. cogged injectors-3 times and counting. recall fixes gone bad. etc. the bike itself when running is great. love the power. very 250 2 stroke like with the 4 stroke tractability. a buddy has ridden the 13 and says it kills his 12. as much as ive hated my bike i do see a nother ktm in my future . as long as i keep my yamaha in my garage as well. lol
Big
8/28/2012 6:33am
Ask Banks-Brown? He's maybe missing this years British because of many bike failures. Otherwise he probably already had won?
Predator
8/28/2012 6:40am
I feel the same way now about KTM as I did before... LOVE em! Their great bikes... I've owned many and never had a problem with any of them. These small "quirks" ppl are talking about come with ANY bike. And to complain about a bolt coming out is pretty comical to me... haven't you ppl ever heard of loctite? I've had bolts come out of my Yamaha too... does that qualify as a "quirk" on that bike as well? LOL
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
8/28/2012 6:50am
I bought my first KTM this year and love it. I didn't feel like I had to buy any aftermarket parts like I did on the bone stock KX or Hondas. The bike came with all the tricked out parts already and rides great. Now my friends have ktm envy when they come over to the garage.
skid mark
8/28/2012 6:50am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2012 7:03am
1. the throttle cable needs to be anchored away from the triple clamp. With out a clamp pad the cable will catch the bar mount and potentially stick the throttle wide open. This can be cured with a zip ty and two inch piece of fuel line
2. the counter shaft seal will leak when the sprocket wears. I am told that adding an O ring between the sprocket and seal will cure it. haven't gotten that far yet. Purchased the Enduro Engineering CS seal kit instead
3. the stock battery doesn't have enough juice to run the e-start consistently. I installed a Li-ion and it works great even in winter.
4. Jetting changes require removing the carb from the boots. There isn't enough clearance between the float bowl and cases to change a MJ without removing the carb and rolling the carb to the side isn't an option either. KTM's tend to drool also. The jetting chart tends to be about two sizes rich on the main and usually one step rich on the needle (my experience)
5. The internal chamber of the forks need to be bled occasionally because fork oil from the outer chamber will get pushed past the seal and pressurize the inner chamber resulting in a harsh ride. The fork cap wrench and a low pressure air pump with a nitrogen needle is needed
6. The fitment of the air filter isn't as mindless as on my YZ. It takes some double checking to make sure it is correct until you have the procedure ingrained in your mind
7. Not sure if it still the case or not. There is a pin on the power valve actuator arm that needs to be tack welded to keep it from falling out over time. Yes, it will fall into the bottom end of your motor and wreak havoc
8. The owners manual is not as informative as the Yamaha manuals. It is mainly a parts schematic.

Overall none of these are big deals, just minor annoyances. Each of the issues have inexpensive or easy cures, as long as you take the time to cure the issue. Thumpertalk, Slaven's and KTMtalk are good resources especially when the bike is new to you and you're trying to be proactive about the quirks

On the positive side, the power is great and you can tune it easily to your liking with the power valve springs. I like that it is on the quiet side in stock form. When the quirks are overcome, there hasn't been much maintenance to keep up with. The brakes! Holy cow, the brakes. I love Brembo brakes. Ergonomically it is a neutral bike and has similar amounts of room to my YZ. At 5'11" and 210 lbs I find it to be comfortable. For motocross I am a C class rider and in the woods or desert I am a B class rider.
Scott167
Fantasy
222nd
8/28/2012 7:03am
Predator wrote:
I feel the same way now about KTM as I did before... LOVE em! Their great bikes... I've owned many and never had a problem with...
I feel the same way now about KTM as I did before... LOVE em! Their great bikes... I've owned many and never had a problem with any of them. These small "quirks" ppl are talking about come with ANY bike. And to complain about a bolt coming out is pretty comical to me... haven't you ppl ever heard of loctite? I've had bolts come out of my Yamaha too... does that qualify as a "quirk" on that bike as well? LOL
I agree. I've had pretty much every ktm since 04 and have only ever had 1 lemon and that was the 07 450. Ran great but had a clutch tolerance issue and I fried a clutch every 3 rides. Once that was sorted out it was good to go.

Skid mark I've noticed 2 of those problems you've noticed ( battery and the throttle cable). I find the Ktms quite nice to work on. I guess I haven't really worked on any others before so maybe I can't comment but I have no complaints. I guess it is just what you are used to.

so I still feel the same and am in love with the 13 450 I just picked up. I have a feeling this will be one of the best bikes I'll ever own.
Markopolo400
8/28/2012 7:19am
I got to ride all 6 of the 2013 KTM motocrossers at a demo day yesterday in NY, and I have to say the 350 is pointless, not a whole lot more power than the 250F, and not even close to the 450 which was a flat out rocket.

The 2-strokes were amazing.
mjskier
8/28/2012 7:49am
7. Not sure if it still the case or not. There is a pin on the power valve actuator arm that needs to be tack welded to keep it from falling out over time. Yes, it will fall into the bottom end of your motor and wreak havoc

No need for a weld. You can peen it.

One big plus about ktm is ktmtalk.com There is so much information that it makes up for the manual being kind of obscure sometimes (or just plain wrong. I spent some time looking for the oil drain until I went to the forum and found out that the picture in the manual was from an older model and the drain was on the other side than where I was looking)
That's how I found out about the power valve pin (mine hadn't moved but I peened it just to be on the safe side)
Faceaz
8/28/2012 7:53am
Big wrote:
Ask Banks-Brown? He's maybe missing this years British because of many bike failures. Otherwise he probably already had won?
Like Suzuki did for Dungey last year, KTM for Dungey this year = different outcome.

My opinion of KTM hasn't changed. The only thing I'm blown away by it how fast they got the new 450 up to speed.
8/28/2012 8:14am
I love KTM but they still do not handle as good as Jap bikes. Dungey is a very good rider and he is fighting it all the way.
BobbyM
8/28/2012 8:16am
i will admit...i wasnt too sure about dungey on the ktm. even with roger, ian and ryan i still wasnt sold on ktm. well im as sold as a green chile burrito at a chicken fight in east phoenix. dungey looks great and the bike looks great too. hopefully they can get that sucker dialed in for sx like they did in mx.
KevinK81
8/28/2012 8:21am
They already did get the KTM dialed in SX in 2012 lol RD won some races! Roger Decoster developed the freaking bike of course its great...
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/28/2012 8:22am
mccread wrote:
I feel Gordon Crockard wishes the MX1 GP team was like this when he joined them ten years ago lol KTM are showing the USA what...
I feel Gordon Crockard wishes the MX1 GP team was like this when he joined them ten years ago lol

KTM are showing the USA what the rest of the world already new a few years ago.

That 350 is leading the world and British Championship too!
"KTM are showing the USA what the rest of the world already new a few years ago."

There several ironies in this post and the origin of this thread.

One is that the usual overseas twits are acting out of their own parochial worldview to generalize about US perceptions of KTMs based on the half dozen KTM bashers on this forum.

Another irony is that on a predominately US member forum, there looks to be about as many non Americans responding to this thread with negative comments about KTM's.

And another irony is that by and large the health and growth of KTM has largely been built on the foundation of their overall success in the US market over the last 10-15 years. The brand is and has been hugely popular here, if only more so for mx'ers in the last couple years.

That said, and as a KTM owner now and since 2003, as much as its true that Dungey's and KTM's accomplishment validates they have an elite rider and an elite bike capable of winning championships here, no one can say that the new 450 hasn't had teething problems off the factory team (clutch, etc.). It's an amazing accomplishment that there aren't more rough edges given the extraordinary short development time from concept to elite wins. But that's single-minded focus on performance dirt bikes is one of the terrific things about the company.
Friday
8/28/2012 8:29am
I rode all the 2012 KTM's and this year rode all the 13's at Hangtown. The 350 and 450 are both noticeably better all the way around. I've been on Hondas for years and love them. This year,I'm getting a new KTM 450.I'm "Hoping" this is the kind of "Change" that ISN"T just a load of BS. Tongue
HenryA
8/28/2012 8:36am
onthepipe wrote:
I never quite understood why the US had a hard time "accepting" KTM. Those machines are the best. especially the 2 strokes and the sxf250. When...
I never quite understood why the US had a hard time "accepting" KTM. Those machines are the best. especially the 2 strokes and the sxf250. When the 4 strokes started you had to be on a KTM or Yamaha 250F... Those were the only fast and reliable machines in MX2.

Maybe it was the PDS? Still KTM dominated europe's motocross scene with PDS.

I also like the idea of having a european built bike instead of a JAP bike.
Yeah right, in first few years the 250sx-f felt like a tank to be honest. It's now in the very last years the 250sx-f feels so light and nimble as a bike with steel chassis should feel.
And i'm sorry, but i can't agree with your statement that KTM 250F would be one of the most reliable 250fs out there in the early days. Just the fact that KTM was the last of the big five to sell a 250f obviously speaks for itself.

It's far from flawless, but i would really consider a new ktm if i was looking for a new bike these days.
MotoTones
8/28/2012 8:46am
badbrad108 wrote:
I love KTM but they still do not handle as good as Jap bikes. Dungey is a very good rider and he is fighting it all...
I love KTM but they still do not handle as good as Jap bikes. Dungey is a very good rider and he is fighting it all the way.
Fighting it all the way? Ya OK!! WoohooLaughingLaughing

I bet everyone's wishing their bike fought them to a bunch of wins and a championship!Woohoo
MotoTones
8/28/2012 8:50am
The only thing I can't stand on KTM's is the throttle cable and the hex bolts. Other than that, I think they are awesome! I do think they will hire someone like Villopoto, along with Dungey here in the next couple years and be dominate like they are in GP's.
Barrett57
8/28/2012 9:02am
My KTM was great. Easy to work on and was always reliable. Awesome bikes.
crusher773
8/28/2012 10:56am
I've never understood it either. I am on my 3rd one and have been on them since 2002. They have been head and shoulders more reliable over any of the Japanese bikes we ever rode. Hondas and Yamahas. They stand behind them more when there is an issue too. I would never go back to the Japanese bikes. I converted a couple buddies and now they finally believe too.
skid mark
8/28/2012 11:24am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2012 11:26am
mjskier wrote:
[b]7. Not sure if it still the case or not. There is a pin on the power valve actuator arm that needs to be tack welded...

No need for a weld. You can peen it.

One big plus about ktm is ktmtalk.com There is so much information that it makes up for the manual being kind of obscure sometimes (or just plain wrong. I spent some time looking for the oil drain until I went to the forum and found out that the picture in the manual was from an older model and the drain was on the other side than where I was looking)
That's how I found out about the power valve pin (mine hadn't moved but I peened it just to be on the safe side)
thanks for the updated info. I agree about all of the info at KTMtalk, just hadn't viewed the peening info yet
your screen name makes me wish I was back there. Spent 19 years there, only left due to the lack of money in construction right now.
8/28/2012 11:37am
I decided to get a bike again after a several years away so I have nothing to compare to and chose to go with the Orange Assault crew because of their continued development, variety of models offered, and top notch components.

I have very little seat time on it at this point but I have been totally satisfied so far with my new smoker.

The suspension was revalved for my extra weight before I picked it up from the dealer. I let a friend ride it who has owned and/or ridden several different current model brands of bikes and although the suspension settings should have been way off for him he got off the bike and exclaimed that it was the best bike he had ever ridden. He is now in the process of selling his existing bikes and going to join the Orange Assault crew as well.

KTMs current success can be seen from Pro ranks all the way down to beginners. Their variety of model choices and premium product will only increase their already good sales figures.

There was a time in my life that I would not have even considered buying a KTM. If you have ever considered buying one and are in the market for a new bike I think you should at least consider one and find a way to test ride one.

Post a reply to: How do you feel about KTM now???..

The Latest