How do you clean lime of the bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2019 6:04 AM

Been riding on limestone and had a hard time get it off, now when lime is a hot topic does anyone have any tips to clean it ?

|

2/6/2019 6:07 AM

1. Take the bike apart.
2. Throw it in a dumpster.

|

2/6/2019 6:23 AM

|

2/6/2019 6:35 AM

Frank wrote:

1. Take the bike apart.
2. Throw it in a dumpster.

Damn that's sad sad

|

2/6/2019 6:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 6:46 AM

Merida wrote:

Been riding on limestone and had a hard time get it off, now when lime is a hot topic does anyone have any tips to clean it ?

I posted this diagram in another thread, but I'll repost it here. Here's the issue, lime can easily be dissolved and removed with a mildly acidic chemical (lime is alkaline as in high pH, acid is low pH). So it's easy to clean, but if you look at the chart, the challenge is in the process of cleaning it with a mildly acidic cleaner, you don't want to corrode any aluminum parts in the process. If you look at the corrosion potential of aluminum, its a horseshoe shaped curve. High pH water (or solution) and low pH water (or solution) will etch aluminum (the higher or lower the pH, the faster the etch) and thus ruin it. The extremely high pH is less detrimental to steel components and it won't impact titanium components (within reason). Note: I'm not suggesting you clean anything with a mild acid, I'm just pointing out the difficulty of how to clean it without doing further damage. This is why this is such a big deal from a bike cost perspective. As a side note: I do not endorse this curve for the corrosion rate of mild steel as being accurate, it's not. But the aluminum is close to being accurate. The shape of the curve for aluminum is a horseshoe where the pH needs to ideally stay beween 7-8 for least amount of corrosion.
Photo

|

2/6/2019 6:47 AM

Photo
Photo
|

2/6/2019 6:53 AM

Merida wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:

I posted this diagram in another thread, but I'll repost it here. Here's the issue, lime can easily be dissolved and removed with a mildly acidic chemical (lime is alkaline as in high pH, acid is low pH). So it's easy to clean, but if you look at the chart, the challenge is in the process of cleaning it with a mildly acidic cleaner, you don't want to corrode any aluminum parts in the process. If you look at the corrosion potential of aluminum, its a horseshoe shaped curve. High pH water (or solution) and low pH water (or solution) will etch aluminum (the higher or lower the pH, the faster the etch) and thus ruin it. The extremely high pH is less detrimental to steel components and it won't impact titanium components (within reason). Note: I'm not suggesting you clean anything with a mild acid, I'm just pointing out the difficulty of how to clean it without doing further damage. This is why this is such a big deal from a bike cost perspective. As a side note: I do not endorse this curve for the corrosion rate of mild steel as being accurate, it's not. But the aluminum is close to being accurate. The shape of the curve for aluminum is a horseshoe where the pH needs to ideally stay beween 7-8 for least amount of corrosion.
Photo

^^^^ LMAO. That's a lot of BS when you could have just said the same thing that is in a douche.

|

2/6/2019 6:53 AM

For Aluminium, vapour and/or fine media blasting(such as glass bead blasting) to even the finish and remove stains.
Then polish to the desired finish.

|

@russ_69

2/6/2019 6:57 AM

TbonesPop wrote:

Photo

So ironically the way to clean it is to juice some limes, dilute with water, and soak the bike down?

|

2/6/2019 7:00 AM

Merida wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:

Photo

77Moto wrote:

^^^^ LMAO. That's a lot of BS when you could have just said the same thing that is in a douche.

I can't help but wonder how you know so much about the coochie cleaners?

|

2/6/2019 7:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 7:23 AM

early wrote:

So ironically the way to clean it is to juice some limes, dilute with water, and soak the bike down?

You could try using citric acid (yes, from a lime lol) but be sure to wipe it down with fresh water as soon as possible to minimize acidic driven corrosion on the Al. It doesn't take long to etch Al. Vinegar might work too. Just don't use any strong acid like HCl or Sulfuric. If the mild acid doesn't work, probably have to do some form of bead blasting as noted above. But overall, its a PITA. I always advocate testing a small, hard to see area first that is not super critical (like bottom of the swing arm) to see how it is going to react. If that goes well, try it in some other areas and if that goes well, go for it on the other parts.

|

2/6/2019 8:58 AM

RussB wrote:

For Aluminium, vapour and/or fine media blasting(such as glass bead blasting) to even the finish and remove stains.
Then polish to the desired finish.

What he said. It's a pain but you don't have to throw it away.

Seems like this is a good opportunity for someone like Maxima or Motul to market their post-wash neutralizer and polishers.

|

2/6/2019 9:10 AM

Photo
|

2/6/2019 10:13 AM

slipdog wrote:

Only time I ever even saw a douche was that guy on YouTube that was chugging them.

|

2/6/2019 10:36 AM

|

Last gear pinned.

2/6/2019 10:38 AM

Photo
|

Last gear pinned.

2/6/2019 10:41 AM

Put the lime in the coconut
drink em both together
put the lime in the coconut
call the doctor
wake him up

|

2/6/2019 10:42 AM

Photo
|

2/6/2019 10:44 AM

delonick347 wrote: Photo

Hahaaaa! thats friggen great, even have the pics right...BRAVO!

|

2/6/2019 10:57 AM

aluminum frame and other raw aluminum parts can be aluminum brightened- tyler bowers confirmed this on pulp mx show, as far as ktm/husky bikes swingarm is brightenable and i want to say the motor cases are too but its been a while since i tried it.

|

2/6/2019 12:30 PM

4csHATER wrote:

aluminum frame and other raw aluminum parts can be aluminum brightened- tyler bowers confirmed this on pulp mx show, as far as ktm/husky bikes swingarm is brightenable and i want to say the motor cases are too but its been a while since i tried it.

Would like to know more on the KTM swing arm and cases brighten please Sir.

|

2020.5 KTM Cairoli Factory Edition 5.7hrs
2019 Alta Redshift MXR - 0.9hrs!.
2020 KTM 250 SX 5hrs.

imoto34 wrote:
Look at all that torque. The kid on the lawnmower may have laughed so hard he shat his pants.

2/6/2019 12:47 PM

77Moto wrote:

slipdog wrote:

Looby321 wrote:

Only time I ever even saw a douche was that guy on YouTube that was chugging them.

I just puked a little...

|