How do you build the nerve?

Mit12
6/14/2016 12:11pm
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on...
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on after one day back on the bike.

How do you get your nerve up to "go for it" on doubles that you've been afraid to hit?
If you think you need to build up nerve you are not ready.
jmurphy243
Fantasy
2100th
6/14/2016 12:12pm
I'm in the same boat and I've found having your bike set up right and being comfortable on it is the fastest way to gain confidence
mx836
6/14/2016 12:36pm
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on...
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on after one day back on the bike.

How do you get your nerve up to "go for it" on doubles that you've been afraid to hit?
mx836 wrote:
Yup. Just send it. Almost always works.
yak651 wrote:
Almost...
Then you have 4-6 weeks to thing about what you did wrong for your next attempt Tongue
Laughing Some have had better luck with this method than others.

The Shop

peelout
6/14/2016 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2016 12:45pm
try smacking it around in the truck before you hit the track

i got a hummer in the truck before riding Starwest one day, Weimer was there that day (amateur support Suzuki at the time) and i passed him like a wet fart. some dude in the truck next to me lopped his finger off in his disc the same day.
mach6972
6/14/2016 12:43pm
if money isn't an issue buy yourself some land,heavy equipment and a lot of dirt. build yourself a long table top and once you're clearing it dig the center out
Titan1
6/14/2016 12:49pm

I switched to off road...no jumps...problem solved. LOL
a22
6/14/2016 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2016 1:58pm

Thought this was a thread on medical issues to begin with, i.e, 'how to rebuild damaged nerves' !!? (after a crash).

No idea 'how to do doubles' nowdays, other than the alcoholic varieties, seem to be ok at that. Mines a malt.

I guess also you got to be sort of comfortable on the bike, its probably no good attempting it, if you are too nervous. I think once one is sort of getting faster generally on other areas of the track also, then it may sort of come more naturally, rather than having to force it.

Don't know how these kids(pros) do it nowdays... credit to them and guess also the bikes have come far.
nc97
6/14/2016 2:07pm
I like to go by the jump shut my bike off and listen to the other bikes ..you can listen to other people's bikes and tell if they just lugging it in say 4th.. or got in the upper rpm's in 3rd.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
6/14/2016 2:11pm
I never believed in the follow someone over it method. The problem is that most jumps which are tricky to clear are that way because they are soon out of a corner, require more acceleration and "pop" than just a certain speed and a certain body position, correct preload of the suspension, and maybe a seat-bounce. The speed is usually the least important aspect of the equation but the follow method assumes it's the most important. Any jump which places an emphasis on just a certain speed is usually the easy ones to clear anyway.

If you try to follow someone on a tricky jump out of a corner, by the time you realize how hard your buddy is accelerating to clear it you're already too late. You should have already been on the gas.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/14/2016 2:21pm
I never double anything that I'm not 110% sure I can clear, so nerves never come into play. I know exactly how fast to go to clear it, so I do.
Cygnus
6/14/2016 5:03pm
I always like to see what the other guys in my class are jumping first. Then I only jump what's nessecary to keep up front.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/14/2016 5:21pm
I always get the nerve to do things after I see kids on 65's and 80's do them. If they're doing it on those then there's no reason I can't on my 450. Now that I've got two kids and a wife to support I've backed it down a tad Cool
gerg
6/14/2016 6:02pm
I never bothered with trying to build any nerve so to speak. Any jump that I was unsure of...eg a large double etc I'd just single them.

I just gradually built up my jumping skills on things like large tables, landing on top of them until I'd just be naturally comfortable enough to clear them. Eventually just sailing over them they ended up not feeling big.
Eventually I just got that comfortable in the air I was able to concentrate on so many other things other than the feeling/fear of being in the air, like better mid air bike control.

And then clearing bigger jumps just wast an issue I just spent that much time getting used to it and practicing it all felt second nature.
It took me about 2 years riding most weekends to be mostly comfortable but I didnt really feel any pressure I literally didnt give a shit about what other people thought. Nobody can tell you how to do it you just need to ride ride ride and it will come and going big while you are uncomfortable is a recipe for disaster...you'll only be a passenger with the takeoff and landing being the deciding factors.

Just stop worrying about other people is my advice and enjoy riding
6/14/2016 6:38pm
I'm always the guinee pig I usually just look at it take an educated guess at gearing, take 2 approaches and if the 3rd goes smooth hold her on and be ready for anything. Built this double at my house last year, had to get off the loader and bust it out cuz no one else would ✊ (jump is as tall as a wheel loader for reference)

Tim507
6/14/2016 6:46pm
I've gotten in the habit of pacing off jumps (I use big steps and count them - steps times 3 gives me an approximate total feet) since I use the same method every time the error is acceptable.

I do this at all jumps I've conquered and that I'm contemplating. This provides the benchmark for a go or no go. Some jumps do not lend themselves to this method, So I just size them up and or compare them to past jumps.

I rode Hangtown for the first time last weekend. I walked the track and immediately took the table after the second turn off my list as it was farther than I've jumped comfortably. The step up at the 150 I was not able to get paced...... it did remind me of the uphill road jump at Washougal , so it went on went on my list as did several others.

That night I rode the track in my mind... something I've done since I raced in Germany. Saturday morning I told myself which jumps I was jumping on the first lap of practice. I accomplished my goal and nailed 4 big jumps on the first lap. Did them one more time and pulled off.

I worked on the others in the first moto. By Sunday I was jumping them all except the one that I took off my list. Just could not sack up for the one. Looking forward to riding Hangtown againWoohoo
crusher773
6/14/2016 7:25pm
Well the last time we went to a new track there were some super big jumps. Giant steep faces kinda had me sketched out being a nancy. My 9 year old, who jumps nothing, is on my case about it. He is telling me look how slow they are going and jumping it, hit it or I'm going to start smacking you on the helmet. So apparently it takes a kid telling you to go balls out sometimes.
chillrich
6/14/2016 10:57pm
When watching other riders look closely for subtle technique like pre-loading or how they exit the corner before. These can be important keys to success. I was clipping a triple at our local track a few years back and I watched a local pro jump it. On the face of the jump he pre-loaded and this was enough to get him up and over. I asked him about, he didn't realize he was even doing it. When I used this technique the triple was easier to jump clean.
6/15/2016 7:05am
I only have vision in my right eye. (20/20 after corrective lenses) This effects my distance perception greatly and got me in trouble multiple times on my old cr80 at tracks I showed up to race for and it was my first time there. Now I ride my old 2001 yz125 I have had since 2002 and keep rebuilding. It doesn't have enough power to hurt myself over jumping so first time at a new track I just rail the turn beforehand and hold the throttle to the stop. Have not had a bad accident since I broke my forearm in high school. Since most everyone else is an old fat guy on a 450 it doesn't help me watching other people at all these days.Hit it early in the day or you will lose your nerve.
6/15/2016 10:28am

Keep going riding and truly don't worry about the jumps until your hands, arms, legs and brain all feel right. When you go riding enough and...
Keep going riding and truly don't worry about the jumps until your hands, arms, legs and brain all feel right. When you go riding enough and feel right about your fitness and bike control those jumps will seem much less daunting and you will start doing them without a second thought.
Most sensible post I've seen here for a while.

Anyhow, to the OP, IMO doing pretty much anything on a motocross track should be a matter of gradual progression. If there's a table or a step up (much less intimidating than doubles) then get used to hitting them. And practice slightly over and slightly under jumping them on purpose to get a really good feel for how the bike responds. Doing that will get you better able to react on the face of the jump to gauge how much throttle and if you need any extra seat bounce to get over the jump. Also, when you over or under jump anything I find you can soften the impact if you land rear wheel first - especially on the OJ. Then watch other guys on the same size bike as you hit the double and follow them into it, but back off at the last moment to get a feel for how fast they're going, where they're gassing it (hard out of the turn and into the jump or maybe they're actually rolling off at the lip to avoid OJing?). Then I would visualise the couple turns before and me attacking the face of the jump and confidently sailing over it and landing on the downside. By that time I've already cleared the jump in my mind and I'm confident in my ability to make it over it so I wait for a tow from a similar paced guy and follow him to once side and get a tow over it for the first time. IMO you should only go straight to the tow in if you're already confident about your ability, bike etc. You want to be focused on what you're doing and not focused on the negative consequences of messing it up - that's a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, it takes time and gradual building to get to that stage. Good luck!

Cheers
Simon
Torco1
6/15/2016 11:38am
Don't think too much about it, the more you think about it.....the more you're going to psyche yourself out and you wont end up doing it. Just ride the track and when you get in a good rhythm and are feeling comfortable, go for it.

Post a reply to: How do you build the nerve?

The Latest