How do you build the nerve?

EastFlorida
6/14/2016 4:23am
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on after one day back on the bike.

How do you get your nerve up to "go for it" on doubles that you've been afraid to hit?
|
oceantrav
6/14/2016 4:24am
Just have a few beers, problem solved
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
6/14/2016 4:42am
I just did this yesterday....

I've been off the bike for a while too, and have been knocking the rust off this year. Well, I went to the best local track Sunday (Baja Acres) and found myself not hitting the jumps I used to not think twice about. And every time I came up to them, all I could think about was the things that could go wrong......

I jumped in behind a buddy and followed him over everything. Problem solved. After that I didn't think twice about any of them again
6/14/2016 4:43am
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on...
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on after one day back on the bike.

How do you get your nerve up to "go for it" on doubles that you've been afraid to hit?
Personally I just have to commit to it early in the day and just do it. If I wait till the end of the day it's never gonna happen. Size it up once or twice, watch a few other people hit it and then overjunp it first because that's much better then casing itWoohoo
6/14/2016 4:44am
Also it helps of your riding with a buddy, I never liked being the last one to hit a jump so I was usually the Guinea pig

The Shop

wwoberg
6/14/2016 5:20am
Confidence. After only one day of riding I wouldn't have high expectations. As you ride more you will build confidence and do them. Work on corners. Railing a rut perfectly is not only harder but will gain you confidence and speed quickly. Jump for show, turn for dough.
ga_pike
6/14/2016 5:33am
As stated above, it's about confidence. With that, you just have to get comfortable. Work on corners and whooped out sections. Work on jumping other jumps that are "safer" like tabletops.

One thing that always helped me with big doubles was jumping off the side. By that I mean, if there is available safe space to land, jump to the side of the landing jump to gauge the necessary speed. Make sure to check your desired landing spot first to avoid hidden dangers like water pipes, holes, etc.
newmann
6/14/2016 6:02am
What's odd is that there were several tracks we used to go to that I never really got comfortable on with my modern bike. I would hit stuff on a four inch travel vintage bike that I would chop the throttle on the modern. Laughing
pete24
6/14/2016 6:15am
newmann wrote:
What's odd is that there were several tracks we used to go to that I never really got comfortable on with my modern bike. I would...
What's odd is that there were several tracks we used to go to that I never really got comfortable on with my modern bike. I would hit stuff on a four inch travel vintage bike that I would chop the throttle on the modern. Laughing
Newmann, your like hubbard, you guys are faster on old junk
NotCore
6/14/2016 6:22am
When you ride the track enough that you are chopping the throttle to slow down for the doubles, it will come naturally. It shouldn't take nerve. Kids build up to it, and so should you. Finding a friend that has the pace helps too.
Forty
6/14/2016 6:58am
I try to find a rider that has the jump dialed, ask him about what gear (2nd ,3rd)he is in when he hits it and tell him I may latch onto him during practice an follow him over the jump at his pace. I rarely over jump and if I do it usually can be ridden out but coming up short is something I like to avoid.
moto0852
6/14/2016 7:20am
Best way. Best advice... "Get a Tow". Follow someone over it. Same line, same speed, same gear.
EastFlorida
6/14/2016 7:27am
Thanks guys, all good advice except for the beers...LOL

I'll get a little more saddle time and in better shape then I'll use the "tow" method...
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
6/14/2016 7:53am
I remember this one guy was trying to clear a big jump for the first time and he came and asked me what gear I hit it in.

I had no idea!!! Always went off of feel. I went back and tried to figure out what gear I was hitting it in and I almost fell off the bike...
mach6972
6/14/2016 8:07am
Stand by the jump and watch others doing it and copy their speed, gear change etc.. you may see them rolling the gas on a little on the face of the jump or catch some other small details. look at where they land and see how hard they hit, maybe you can over jump it a little and still land smooth so you would be sure to clear it.
MXD
6/14/2016 8:08am
I would say you need to ride a bit more and get more comfortable and confident. When you feel it clicking, have a buddy who hits it in his sleep coach you over it. Not so much for the advice but more for the level of confidence he can bring you. I ride with a former local pro who used to ride the occasional national. Once I'm feeling confident, he'll say to me "throw your helmet on and follow me, you got this no problem. Just relax". Him being that confident in me coupled with me feeling good on the bike and a few pointers has led to a "first pass yield" of 100% success. It seems the only time I make a mistake in that scenario is when I'm less confident, second guess or not 100% comfortable everywhere else on the track.
Drfletcher
6/14/2016 8:15am
You have to say the magic words: " Hey watch this!"

Then do it.
6/14/2016 8:18am
Forty wrote:
I try to find a rider that has the jump dialed, ask him about what gear (2nd ,3rd)he is in when he hits it and tell...
I try to find a rider that has the jump dialed, ask him about what gear (2nd ,3rd)he is in when he hits it and tell him I may latch onto him during practice an follow him over the jump at his pace. I rarely over jump and if I do it usually can be ridden out but coming up short is something I like to avoid.
Follow someone your speed that is doing the jump.

My son does all the big jumps, when we find a jump that he can't see the landing (most of the current jumps)
I park off to the side of the jump where he needs to land, as long as he can see my head and arm up he knows where to land and this has worked really well, we did this at Perris last Sunday. We always say the drive home is way better when you have cleared all the jumps.

We have done this on starts too, I stood in the first turn area and said to him "you be the first person to me" and grasshopper(his nickname) pull's the holeshot every time.
Zaugg
6/14/2016 8:18am
Remember...in most cases it's better to over shoot than case a double. I might suggest finding a table that's the same size and use that as a way to gauge your speed. Lots of good advice here...

Get more seat time and the confidence will come.
nytsmaC
6/14/2016 8:21am
You guys are cheating, half the thrill is just sizing it up and hitting it!
IceMan446
6/14/2016 8:26am
I just started back riding after 9 months off. My local track has a few double jumps that I have yet to pull the trigger on...

Personally I just have to commit to it early in the day and just do it. If I wait till the end of the day it's...
Personally I just have to commit to it early in the day and just do it. If I wait till the end of the day it's never gonna happen. Size it up once or twice, watch a few other people hit it and then overjunp it first because that's much better then casing itWoohoo
Im the same way, I will not ride parts of the track just so I can get the jumps down.

Partly because I hate not flowing on the track and because I am scared of getting landed on.

Usually the first session I will scope the track out and then get all the jumps down. Then go ride laps.
6/14/2016 8:52am
IceMan446 wrote:
Im the same way, I will not ride parts of the track just so I can get the jumps down. Partly because I hate not flowing...
Im the same way, I will not ride parts of the track just so I can get the jumps down.

Partly because I hate not flowing on the track and because I am scared of getting landed on.

Usually the first session I will scope the track out and then get all the jumps down. Then go ride laps.
Hah, I do the exact same thing. I don't ride to my full potential till all the jumps have been hit. That is if I'm capable of doing them, I'm still working on the huge table top at WW
YZ125H1
6/14/2016 8:55am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2016 8:56am
Hah, I do the exact same thing. I don't ride to my full potential till all the jumps have been hit. That is if I'm capable...
Hah, I do the exact same thing. I don't ride to my full potential till all the jumps have been hit. That is if I'm capable of doing them, I'm still working on the huge table top at WW
My biggest problem right now is kicker jumps I despise them with a passion.
6/14/2016 9:15am
Hah, I do the exact same thing. I don't ride to my full potential till all the jumps have been hit. That is if I'm capable...
YZ125H1 wrote:
My biggest problem right now is kicker jumps I despise them with a passion.
Especially when your not expecting it to be a kickerPinch
Old-Man
6/14/2016 9:25am
disbanded wrote:
I remember this one guy was trying to clear a big jump for the first time and he came and asked me what gear I hit...
I remember this one guy was trying to clear a big jump for the first time and he came and asked me what gear I hit it in.

I had no idea!!! Always went off of feel. I went back and tried to figure out what gear I was hitting it in and I almost fell off the bike...
Har! Thats Me. Always rode by seat of my pants rather than remembering what gear I was in.
As for the question I usually always over jumped it the first time that way I knew how to get it dialed the next time around. Seen folks jump off to the side to gage their speed too.

Good luck!
Motoxdoc
6/14/2016 9:44am
Jump as far as you dare WITHOUT clearing it. The next part is key.....now you need to guess as closely as possible how much more throttle is needed to clear it. Once you think you have the proper speed approximated, if possible, pace someone who's doing the jump, side by side, with you in the infield of the track (this can be dangerous and a lot of tracks won't allow this....but if it's an empty day and fairly safe....eeh). Again, that's just to get an idea of the approach speed to the take-off jump. Now you're ready. You've jumped as far as possible WITHOUT clearing it, you've got a pretty good idea of the approach speed......now let someone "tow" you over it. Follow the guy who's making it look the easiest! Also important, often people are so scared of coming up short that they don't realize the consequences of OVERJUMPING could be more severe! Happy doubling!!!
mx836
6/14/2016 9:45am

Yup. Just send it. Almost always works.
oceantrav
6/14/2016 9:59am
Motoxdoc wrote:
Jump as far as you dare WITHOUT clearing it. The next part is key.....now you need to guess as closely as possible how much more throttle...
Jump as far as you dare WITHOUT clearing it. The next part is key.....now you need to guess as closely as possible how much more throttle is needed to clear it. Once you think you have the proper speed approximated, if possible, pace someone who's doing the jump, side by side, with you in the infield of the track (this can be dangerous and a lot of tracks won't allow this....but if it's an empty day and fairly safe....eeh). Again, that's just to get an idea of the approach speed to the take-off jump. Now you're ready. You've jumped as far as possible WITHOUT clearing it, you've got a pretty good idea of the approach speed......now let someone "tow" you over it. Follow the guy who's making it look the easiest! Also important, often people are so scared of coming up short that they don't realize the consequences of OVERJUMPING could be more severe! Happy doubling!!!
Very true that over jumping can be even worse.

Hit a arena cross double couple weeks ago. Didn't want to come up short. Ended up over jumping it the first time and flat landing, then launched off a berm.

Told myself not to hit it hard, but guess the fear got to me and kept the throttle on a tad to long. Would have been Better off casing it.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
6/14/2016 10:00am

mx836 wrote:
Yup. Just send it. Almost always works.
Almost...
Then you have 4-6 weeks to thing about what you did wrong for your next attempt Tongue
motomike137
6/14/2016 11:27am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2016 11:28am

Keep going riding and truly don't worry about the jumps until your hands, arms, legs and brain all feel right. When you go riding enough and feel right about your fitness and bike control those jumps will seem much less daunting and you will start doing them without a second thought.
Osaka627
6/14/2016 11:38am

Take every single word in this and BELIEVE it WORD for WORD. Not Metaphorically But Definitively WORD for WORD.

Post a reply to: How do you build the nerve?

The Latest