How do we address the 'commercial free' issue

Beeby
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 6:37pm
It comes up on the bench racing threads every time during the races. The NBC sports gold package is excellent but it's not commercial free. This week seemed better, I am not sure if they have made changes or I just didn't notice it as much.

But as people have said before, commercials for other shows on the channel are still commercials. It seemed like an attempt was made this week to have it as split screen but the commercial part was right over the on track action.

Then there is the features they think it's a good idea to play mid race. Like mechanics talking about parts/tools (clearly commercials) and that feature on Dungey they played right in a key race point.

So, two questions. Are others as annoyed by it as me?

How do we address it? Is it a case of contacting NBC? Is a network going to listen or do we somehow feedback through the sports organisers/promoters?
|
RG1
7/23/2017 6:02am
Compared to last year, where we saw more of the 'coverage to resume shortly' screen than the racing, It's excellent. I really don't mind them taking 5-10 seconds to advertise other shows, I don't like the segments in the middle of the race though, like when they interview a random mechanic about what his favourite tool is, or show us a course preview when we've already been watching guys race around it for 2 hours. I do think it's well worth the $50 though and I'm glad I get to watch all the racing
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/23/2017 6:18am
Irritates the hell out of me, seems like I got reduced commercials not commercial free.
7/23/2017 6:19am
Beebro...

Maybe I'm too easy, but I don't care. I agree with what RGBro said though. I'm always having such a great time watching the nats - especially now that I get it all in HD - that I just don't really care. When I see the stuff pop-up on the screen I groan a bit, but it is quickly gone. That's my 2 cents.
blusmbl
7/23/2017 6:24am
The motos themselves have been 100% commercial free, which is what was promised. We do get the same on air snippets like the tv broadcast does (feature on Dungey, etc). I have no problem with it at all.

The Shop

DoctorJD
7/23/2017 6:34am
Never made a blip on my radar.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
7/23/2017 6:40am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 6:52am
Perhaps there is some confusion between commercials and bumpers. What we are seeing on Gold are transitional bumper's for the broadcast version. They are done to ease the transition of coming back to a live event. It doesnt bother me at all. When the broadcast breaks for commercials, we get to continue on with the action.
Bob693
7/23/2017 6:41am
And did you hear the riders thank their sponsors on the podium? That's basically a commercial and must be stopped! Smh
Flip109
7/23/2017 6:45am
I'm with harrybro. Could it be better? For sure, but I'm easy and have really enjoyed having all the racing at my fingertips in HD whenever I want it. Cool
Red141
7/23/2017 6:45am
Not an issue with me at all.
7/23/2017 6:53am
I was more mad about the 4 minute Ryan Dungey interview during the moto. I get what he's doing is for a great cause and I don't mean to come across as a dick for this but come on man, shits almost worse than a commercial break.
7/23/2017 6:54am
Flip109 wrote:
I'm with harrybro. Could it be better? For sure, but I'm easy and have really enjoyed having all the racing at my fingertips in HD whenever...
I'm with harrybro. Could it be better? For sure, but I'm easy and have really enjoyed having all the racing at my fingertips in HD whenever I want it. Cool
Much ty!
agn5009
7/23/2017 7:01am
I never have commercials during the race. I think everyone overreacts over this thing. I think it's great coverage.
Hammer 663s
7/23/2017 7:04am
How do we address it? We stop whining like a 10 year old girl and remember the old days when it took a week to get the race report in Cycle News. Sheesh, if if bugs you that damn bad buy tickets to every event and go see it live.

I find that 10 seconds is perfect for a sprint to the fridge for another beer. Problem now is w/o commercials there is no time to drain said beer, so I have had to go to the catheter method when I back-to-back all 4 motos.

Hammer 663s
USA
Fantasy
507th
7/23/2017 7:21am
kzizok wrote:
Perhaps there is some confusion between commercials and bumpers. What we are seeing on Gold are transitional bumper's for the broadcast version. They are done to...
Perhaps there is some confusion between commercials and bumpers. What we are seeing on Gold are transitional bumper's for the broadcast version. They are done to ease the transition of coming back to a live event. It doesnt bother me at all. When the broadcast breaks for commercials, we get to continue on with the action.
I get used to the transitions.. But then get spoiled watching MXGP. I wonder if it would be possible to pre-record the bumps/transitions for television and give the Gold subscribers non-stop coverage?

NBCSports has done an excellent job listening to us so far on this, anyone remember the first two races of the year? We would get the 'Coverage will resume shortly' even sometimes during the motos! There was a thread on here pointing it out, and BOOM! Now we get the camera shots showing the atmosphere of the event while TV is at break.

It is still a great deal regardless, but I completely understand why we are bringing this up.

Beeby
7/23/2017 7:25am
How do we address it? We stop whining like a 10 year old girl and remember the old days when it took a week to get...
How do we address it? We stop whining like a 10 year old girl and remember the old days when it took a week to get the race report in Cycle News. Sheesh, if if bugs you that damn bad buy tickets to every event and go see it live.

I find that 10 seconds is perfect for a sprint to the fridge for another beer. Problem now is w/o commercials there is no time to drain said beer, so I have had to go to the catheter method when I back-to-back all 4 motos.

Hammer 663s
Have you even listened to yourself?!

These aren't the days we had to wait a week for the cycle news and walk 10 miles uphill in the snow in both directions to get it.

These are the days where people pay a premium to watch uninterrupted coverage of live sport and are allowed to expect just that.

Running commercials or bumpers or features or whatever people want to call them might be fine for people, I'm allowed to ask peoples views, you are allowed to share your views but if my 'whining' offends you, you don't have to contribute to the thread.

If we satisfy ourselves with what we have and don't ask for and strive for more, we would still be reading the paper for the results.
Hut
7/23/2017 7:36am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 7:51am
I haven't had any commercial advertisements during the races so I am satisfied with the deal.
A few small related features doesn't seem to irritate me like it does some people.
This is the best coverage I have ever seen.

philG
7/23/2017 7:54am
i hate the fact that they show the winner crossing the line and thats it.... director need a punch in the head. Any battles we just have to guess.
Hut
7/23/2017 7:57am
philG wrote:
i hate the fact that they show the winner crossing the line and thats it.... director need a punch in the head. Any battles we just...
i hate the fact that they show the winner crossing the line and thats it.... director need a punch in the head. Any battles we just have to guess.
They could definitely do a better job in that regard.
Hammer 663s
7/23/2017 8:16am
Beeby wrote:
Have you even listened to yourself?! These aren't the days we had to wait a week for the cycle news and walk 10 miles uphill in...

These aren't the days we had to wait a week for the cycle news and walk 10 miles uphill in the snow in both directions to get it.

These are the days where people pay a premium to watch uninterrupted coverage of live sport and are allowed to expect just that.

Running commercials or bumpers or features or whatever people want to call them might be fine for people, I'm allowed to ask peoples views, you are allowed to share your views but if my 'whining' offends you, you don't have to contribute to the thread.

If we satisfy ourselves with what we have and don't ask for and strive for more, we would still be reading the paper for the results.
There, there snowflake. Put a little vagasil on it and you'll feel better.
eGGz
7/23/2017 8:18am
The "NBC Gold" package is advertised as being "commercial free."

Its not.

If they want to show commercials, that's fine. Just don't lie about it.
7/23/2017 8:30am
Beeby wrote:
Have you even listened to yourself?! These aren't the days we had to wait a week for the cycle news and walk 10 miles uphill in...

Beebro, it is best to ignore this angry little troll. He's probably all worked up because he forgot to torque the sprocket bolts on his PW50. Now the whole rear end is all blowed out like his head gasket.
Swann
7/23/2017 8:47am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 8:49am
I concur that the single biggest issue they have right now is a lack of camera coordination and what seems to be almost no direction on that front.

I don't know how that stuff works and how it ultimately gets pulled together but it's a really big missing part of this viewing experience. The cameras cut away at the wrong time, sometimes cameras just seem to be pointed in the direction for no reason, they miss important racing action. It seems to me they have a very limited amount of people that are coordinating those things whereas normally would have a whole team of people and cameras.

Otherwise it's worthwhile. I watched the races in my parents backyard on my computer while I was doing some woodworking yesterday. They don't have cable. That's pretty awesome to be able to do that.
Beeby
7/23/2017 9:11am
Beeby wrote:

Beebro, it is best to ignore this angry little troll. He's probably all worked up because he forgot to torque the sprocket bolts on his PW50...
Beebro, it is best to ignore this angry little troll. He's probably all worked up because he forgot to torque the sprocket bolts on his PW50. Now the whole rear end is all blowed out like his head gasket.
Ah duly noted thanks!
milliebays
7/23/2017 9:14am
This is autistic. The product placement deals during the program have zip all to do with the network.
Hut
7/23/2017 9:20am
The Dungey piece would have been perfect during the "coverage has concluded" portion of the coverage
Hut
7/23/2017 10:17am
Honestly Dungey is kind of a "big deal". Anytime there is a pro race in Minnesota you can expect to hear about him for the rest of our lives. Hopefully in the future they do these interview deals at a better time than the closing laps of a moto.
Yep
7/23/2017 3:41pm
They need to have the action shot follow around a 250 rider for 10 minutes because he's out of race contention and is leaking water towards the end of the moto.
Matt Wozney
7/23/2017 5:19pm
You guys are being WAY about picky about this. It's as commercial free as you'll get from what I've seen in past rounds. It's fine.
kkawboy14
7/23/2017 5:42pm
Seems pretty commercial free to me. Cancel your subscription if it's to much for you!
Beeby
7/23/2017 6:28pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seems pretty commercial free to me. Cancel your subscription if it's to much for you!
And that's progress... how?

Post a reply to: How do we address the 'commercial free' issue

The Latest