How do riders wheelie without needing to feather rear brake?

I always feather rear brake when needed but I've been seeing people with no hand brake and their foot no where near the rear brake so how they not looping?

*EDIT*
I'm talking about during long wheelies on the balance point not short "power wheelies".
|
Ride124
6/21/2017 4:08am
Engine braking and balance
FTB
6/21/2017 5:25am
I always feather rear brake when needed but I've been seeing people with no hand brake and their foot no where near the rear brake so...
I always feather rear brake when needed but I've been seeing people with no hand brake and their foot no where near the rear brake so how they not looping?

*EDIT*
I'm talking about during long wheelies on the balance point not short "power wheelies".
I don't use the brake, never have, I've been riding for over 40 years, but until not long ago I never knew you were supposed to Blush .
6/21/2017 5:40am
Deft control of the clutch finger (if needed) and balance/throttle control.
BobPA
6/21/2017 5:43am
I rarely use the rear brake, only in panic situations....

The Shop

6/21/2017 5:59am
I always feather rear brake when needed but I've been seeing people with no hand brake and their foot no where near the rear brake so...

*EDIT*
FTB wrote:
I don't use the brake, never have, I've been riding for over 40 years, but until not long ago I never knew you were supposed to...
I don't use the brake, never have, I've been riding for over 40 years, but until not long ago I never knew you were supposed to Blush .
How long do you wheelie though?

I can wheelie without the brake but then I keep picking up speed. When I'm on the balance point it's easy to loop.

I've been back on the bike since I asked the question, and with more attention to my brake habit I've lessened it.
6/21/2017 6:02am
Ride124 wrote:
Engine braking and balance
Been focussing on my balance and engine braking for the past 2 hours and improved. I've only just become aware of my rear brake habit. Cheers man.
slipdog
6/21/2017 6:31am
LeighBrotolo, the 12 o'clock boys website is loaded with useful tips.
It's really insane how good some of the guys on that site can wheelie considering most have never had their dirt bike in the dirt.
tprice07
6/21/2017 6:42am
I only drag the brake if I want to stand it straight up and almost drag the fender.

For long wheelies I start out in 2nd gear and click up until 5th and just balance.
ab
6/21/2017 7:07am

This is my video from last year. The technique to it is quite simple for doing wheelies while standing on the seat. Pop it in a gear where you still have some engine breaking *3rd gear* and you have to find a balance point. IT really falls down to your throttle control. When I was learning and would give it to much throttle, I would let go of it and the engine break would save me, on a 2 stroke it would have been a whole different story.
Fourth_Floor
6/21/2017 5:33pm
I envy guys that have such good low speed balance they can keep it on one wheel till they're bored. Never could get the hang of it. Sprocket bolts were torqued and everything.
FTB
6/21/2017 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 6:20pm

*EDIT*
FTB wrote:
I don't use the brake, never have, I've been riding for over 40 years, but until not long ago I never knew you were supposed to...
How long do you wheelie though? I can wheelie without the brake but then I keep picking up speed. When I'm on the balance point it's...
How long do you wheelie though?

I can wheelie without the brake but then I keep picking up speed. When I'm on the balance point it's easy to loop.

I've been back on the bike since I asked the question, and with more attention to my brake habit I've lessened it.
How long is a piece of string Tongue .

Last time I looped out I was about 12/13 and on an 84 YZ 125 Sick .
I have a 4T but mostly ride my 2T's. I can wheelie better on the 2T's. It's what I grew up on.
I haven't tried, but I doubt I'd be able to get my foot on the rear brake pedal whilst on the rear wheel, I have a size 15 foot.

I rode from 4 to 14 by myself, Hence not knowing I was supposed to feather the rear brake. By the time I did know it was too late, old habits are hard to break.
Steadman
6/21/2017 6:33pm
I envy guys that have such good low speed balance they can keep it on one wheel till they're bored. Never could get the hang of...
I envy guys that have such good low speed balance they can keep it on one wheel till they're bored. Never could get the hang of it. Sprocket bolts were torqued and everything.
LOL Stomping that one out before it gets brought up eh? Laughing
BobPA
6/21/2017 7:10pm
I envy guys that have such good low speed balance they can keep it on one wheel till they're bored. Never could get the hang of...
Practice on a little bike. I learned on an xr100...no expensive radiators or subframes to break. I can wheelies for quite a while. Standing up or sitting down. 4th or 5th gear is the easiest, standing up while going fast.
jeffro503
6/21/2017 7:20pm
One of the things I used to be pretty good at. Used to be able to wheelie around a cul-de-sac where my house was built. And a couple of the private tracks I went to , that were pretty big I'd practice riding up the hills on a wheelie , over the crest into the corner following.

Most everything I did was in 2nd or 3rd on my 250's. Kept things slow speed. I ate shit bad when I was about 18 years old. Had just clicked into 5th on a logging road and the son of a bitch went over backwards on me. I was picking gravel and dirt out of my arms and my side for probably 2 weeks. That one fucking hurt.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
6/21/2017 8:52pm
ab wrote:
[embed] https://youtu.be/gvlt36opWmA?ecver=1 [/embed] This is my video from last year. The technique to it is quite simple for doing wheelies while standing on the seat. Pop...

This is my video from last year. The technique to it is quite simple for doing wheelies while standing on the seat. Pop it in a gear where you still have some engine breaking *3rd gear* and you have to find a balance point. IT really falls down to your throttle control. When I was learning and would give it to much throttle, I would let go of it and the engine break would save me, on a 2 stroke it would have been a whole different story.
That's awsome
Fourth_Floor
6/21/2017 8:56pm
jeffro503 wrote:
One of the things I used to be pretty good at. Used to be able to wheelie around a cul-de-sac where my house was built. And...
One of the things I used to be pretty good at. Used to be able to wheelie around a cul-de-sac where my house was built. And a couple of the private tracks I went to , that were pretty big I'd practice riding up the hills on a wheelie , over the crest into the corner following.

Most everything I did was in 2nd or 3rd on my 250's. Kept things slow speed. I ate shit bad when I was about 18 years old. Had just clicked into 5th on a logging road and the son of a bitch went over backwards on me. I was picking gravel and dirt out of my arms and my side for probably 2 weeks. That one fucking hurt.
Literally watched a buddy of mine do that same exact thing. We were cruising down a gravel road getting to a trail and he looped out infront of me riding a wheelie....I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. Fewer things are more goon than looping a bike out.

I had a Jesus take the wheel moment back when I had my KTM 520SX. Was heading back to my house after a woods ride and was riding a wheelie down the road and I accidentally bumped 'er past the balance point. My natural instinct was to take both feet of the pegs for some reason, like I was going to let go of the bike and run it out.....doing 50mph. No idea how she didn't go over
jeffro503
6/21/2017 9:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
One of the things I used to be pretty good at. Used to be able to wheelie around a cul-de-sac where my house was built. And...

Literally watched a buddy of mine do that same exact thing. We were cruising down a gravel road getting to a trail and he looped out...
Literally watched a buddy of mine do that same exact thing. We were cruising down a gravel road getting to a trail and he looped out infront of me riding a wheelie....I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. Fewer things are more goon than looping a bike out.

I had a Jesus take the wheel moment back when I had my KTM 520SX. Was heading back to my house after a woods ride and was riding a wheelie down the road and I accidentally bumped 'er past the balance point. My natural instinct was to take both feet of the pegs for some reason, like I was going to let go of the bike and run it out.....doing 50mph. No idea how she didn't go over
Oh yeah! haha....it was a total goon move on my part. I had two buddies behind me when it happened , and even though I was pissed and hurt , they were laughing their ass's off. It's all good though....I deserved it at the time haha.
Fourth_Floor
6/21/2017 9:02pm
Steadman wrote:
hahaha seems that's the first thing you have to rule out around here, regardless the issue lol.
jeffro503
6/21/2017 9:05pm
Steadman wrote:
hahaha seems that's the first thing you have to rule out around here, regardless the issue lol.
I really , really wish I could go back in time....I would have blamed loose sprocket bolts on my loop out. Could have saved me years of flaming haha.
Fourth_Floor
6/21/2017 9:09pm
Steadman wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
I really , really wish I could go back in time....I would have blamed loose sprocket bolts on my loop out. Could have saved me years...
I really , really wish I could go back in time....I would have blamed loose sprocket bolts on my loop out. Could have saved me years of flaming haha.
hahaahaha Silly
JW381
6/21/2017 9:15pm
4 stroke engine braking BRO
oshow
6/21/2017 9:27pm

*EDIT*
FTB wrote:
40'year wheelie ?
gerg
6/21/2017 9:33pm
Nice long controlled wheelies is the one thing on a bike, whether push bike or motorbike I've never been able to master.

Always envious of anyone who can do them and control them.
FTB
6/22/2017 12:56am
jeffro503 wrote:

Literally watched a buddy of mine do that same exact thing. We were cruising down a gravel road getting to a trail and he looped out...

I actually did that with ,my RGV 250 road bike, and got away with it Tongue . It was the limited edition Pepsi (Kevin Schwantz replica) model, no way I was letting it go. The decals alone are worth a couple K.
sickboy3636
6/22/2017 6:52am
Throttle control bro, its a good trait to learn. Body position and control of the wrist are the two biggest keys to manhandling a motorcycle.....when you add brake control its just a cherry on top.....then try it on a smoker with no engine brake. Brrraaaaap.
Katoomey
6/22/2017 8:00am
can someone tell me how to break-in my engine..
Cygnus
6/22/2017 8:14am
Katoomey wrote:
can someone tell me how to break-in my engine..
Just like you plan on racing it. After a couple heat cycles that have already been done at the factory.

Post a reply to: How do riders wheelie without needing to feather rear brake?

The Latest