How could sponsor logos be shown better?

kburgie
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:29pm
There's been a lot of effort put into the TV package, but even on an HDTV you can't really see any of the little sponsor logos on bikes. Even the big GEICO stamp on the Hondas are covered up by the rider.

Is one big sponsor the key?

Monster and Kawi work pretty well because of the green color scheme.

These graphics are totally useless:

What could teams do?
|
flarider
9/1/2010 6:18pm
Full body panels like SRP has
9/1/2010 6:21pm
have flags on the back of their jersey, so when they are pinning it a big flag is waving with big logo's on it...lol...I dont think there is any risk involved either
lumpy790
9/2/2010 7:23am
have flags on the back of their jersey, so when they are pinning it a big flag is waving with big logo's on it...lol...I dont think...
have flags on the back of their jersey, so when they are pinning it a big flag is waving with big logo's on it...lol...I dont think there is any risk involved either
AMA outlawed this.....

WORCSRacer
9/2/2010 7:44am
They can't, even the MotoGP teams are aware of this. Motorcycle racing is a lifestyle sport that requires fan buy in and as such relies almost exclusively on sub-culture support. Translation: The fans know who is riding what and for whom.

When will people learn this isn't NASCAR. Its MOTOCROSS. The casual observer doesn't get it and that is OK. How much time do you think surfers spend wondering about how to make their sponsor logos bigger? Surfing has roughly the same number of active participants that motorcycling does yet, it has exponentially more impact on culture. Why?

Because surfing is cool, not corporate.

The Shop

Adam43
9/2/2010 7:45am
Like you noted, a proper graphic design should take up the entire shroud.

MX is fortunate in that it has a huge following in print media, where even logos with terrible design and placement can get noticed.

Even MotoGP with its full body panels struggles with this unless one sponsor dominates the design. The Repsol Hondas have always been good that way:

kburgie
9/2/2010 8:20am
WORCSRacer wrote:
They can't, even the MotoGP teams are aware of this. Motorcycle racing is a lifestyle sport that requires fan buy in and as such relies almost...
They can't, even the MotoGP teams are aware of this. Motorcycle racing is a lifestyle sport that requires fan buy in and as such relies almost exclusively on sub-culture support. Translation: The fans know who is riding what and for whom.

When will people learn this isn't NASCAR. Its MOTOCROSS. The casual observer doesn't get it and that is OK. How much time do you think surfers spend wondering about how to make their sponsor logos bigger? Surfing has roughly the same number of active participants that motorcycling does yet, it has exponentially more impact on culture. Why?

Because surfing is cool, not corporate.
Just trying to get a discussion going... Maybe someone out there has an idea.

Like Adam said, you can see the logos fine in photos and in person at the races.

I think the potential is in one-off gear designs, like putting the GEICO guys in solid green gecko costumes. But I know that'd be pretty goofy and that the gear companies want to show off the designs they sell.

Sanchez
9/2/2010 8:28am
Helmet-mounted 3D projector that generates a 10-ft holographic image of riders' sponsors floating just above their heads...duh.
pitbike502
9/2/2010 8:32am
Make everything less fancy, and get that shit on there Cool
peelout719
9/2/2010 8:36am
i still think the title sponsor of the team should have all rights to logo the bike.

i'm thinking a brown UPS honda. not a red honda with UPS graphics on the shrouds.

only way this sport will go anywhere with big name sponsor deals imo
9/2/2010 8:37am
Ummm.......Tattoo riders and flat bill hats. What more could a sponsor want for advertising.

Sarcasm intentional.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
9/2/2010 8:42am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2010 8:55am
Sanchez wrote:
Helmet-mounted 3D projector that generates a 10-ft holographic image of riders' sponsors floating just above their heads...duh.
I was thinking along these lines. I don't think you're going to improve the visibility of the logo on the bike, but when the Speed cameras are following a certain rider/battle around the track why not put up a graphic with the rider's picture, name, position, and primary sponsor logo. Maybe that will piss off competing sponsors that pay for the TV package, but it sure would be a good selling point when approaching potential sponsors. It would also help viewers identify with the guy behind the helmet.

I also agree with peelout. If the manufacturers want sponsorships to cover the cost of racing, they need to give up the color scheme.
VM
9/2/2010 9:41am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2010 9:42am
Sanchez wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
I was thinking along these lines. I don't think you're going to improve the visibility of the logo on the bike, but when the Speed cameras...
I was thinking along these lines. I don't think you're going to improve the visibility of the logo on the bike, but when the Speed cameras are following a certain rider/battle around the track why not put up a graphic with the rider's picture, name, position, and primary sponsor logo. Maybe that will piss off competing sponsors that pay for the TV package, but it sure would be a good selling point when approaching potential sponsors. It would also help viewers identify with the guy behind the helmet.

I also agree with peelout. If the manufacturers want sponsorships to cover the cost of racing, they need to give up the color scheme.
here is a quick example..... but I also think gear companies should simplify the designsnto make logo's more visable...

downandup
9/2/2010 9:52am
Who gives a shit? Keep your bike clean, there's too much crap on 'em!
Neutra
9/2/2010 9:57am
MX bikes have so much holes and cut in the bike. We could have a giant logo from the front to the back, it has been tested at the design stage but most corporate companies don't like their logo to be cut at certain areas, even though from a distance it would be readable just fine.
RCC104
9/2/2010 10:33am
The logo on Michael Jordan's shoes was tiny and a blur on the court ... Bet you know what he wore though.
jaeckle
9/2/2010 10:55am
The first things the teams need to embrace is Hondas don't need to be red, Suzukis yellow, KTM's orange, etc.
The bikes need to be 100% the primary sponsor logo colors.
ando
9/2/2010 11:33am
The other inherent problem with dirtbikes, apart from the lack of real estate, is that most of what is available is often covered up by the rider.
kburgie
9/2/2010 11:35am
Yeah but these big giant graphics and Slater Skins are still covered up when the rider is on the bike and on TV. As they are now they look fine in the pits and in pictures.

VM, that looks great. I kinda can't believe something like that isn't already being used.
SteveS
9/2/2010 12:17pm
Stop having tattoo artists and "modern designers" doing the graphics. Or the people who make the clown puke riding gear.
jaeckle
9/2/2010 12:29pm
SteveS wrote:
Stop having tattoo artists and "modern designers" doing the graphics. Or the people who make the clown puke riding gear.
Once again. The clean red/blue/white HONDA logo jerseys from the 70/80's was the answer. You could read the words. When No Fear did the limited run 3 years ago I bought 6.
The "sponsors" are getting screwed. They pay thousands for fender, helmet, shroud sticker placement? They need to buy a clue already. Spend the money on hospitality for the fans and we will remember them much more.

Post a reply to: How could sponsor logos be shown better?

The Latest