How can you volunteer to be a flagger?

CozMan
4/1/2019 6:36am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2019 9:04pm
was just curious while watching the races Saturday - where are these guys signing up to be flaggers? Surely someone on here knows...
|
40acres
4/1/2019 7:14am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2019 7:14am
I am pretty sure I know why you're asking, but I just want to be sure before I divulge...

Why?
CozMan
4/1/2019 7:18am
40acres wrote:
I am pretty sure I know why you're asking, but I just want to be sure before I divulge...

Why?
no reason other than simply curiosity.
4/1/2019 7:37am
I remember for the 2005 Houston SX, the parts guy at my local shop said one of the vendor reps asked if he had anyone that wanted to volunteer to sweep the dirt off of the tuff blocks between races. Me and a friend got to do it. McGrath was there and not racing and I got to talk to him in the tunnel for a few minutes. Pretty awesome.
4/1/2019 8:21am
I have been flagging since 1990 at Houston. They asked our club, TRH (Trail Riders of Houston) to provide flaggers. I basically did it because I liked to be on the track. They also gave us each 2 tickets in Industry Seating. This year, we were all Feld employees for the weekend, and got paid. My job for the past 5 years, has been to pull the barricades out after the start for the mechanics to stand behind.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
4/1/2019 3:18pm
I checked, and if you contact Feld, your information will get sent to the head flag coordinator. But note that every spot for every venue has already been filled through the rest of the season.
Johnny Depp
4/1/2019 4:05pm
GuyB wrote:
I checked, and if you contact Feld, your information will get sent to the head flag coordinator. But note that every spot for every venue has...
I checked, and if you contact Feld, your information will get sent to the head flag coordinator. But note that every spot for every venue has already been filled through the rest of the season.
Steve, You were right next to me a few times at NRG, I tried to get out of your way so as not to interfere with your shot. You looked busy, and I was working and had a helmet on and couldn't hear much to talk anyway, so I never said hello. End of the whoops before the finish line bowl turn. It was thrilling, there was a lot of action right at my feet, literally. It was my 1st time, and I was offered an open spot by the Houston organizer of 15 years when I had contacted him on separate business, we had know each other casually since the 70's and I just happened to be contacting him at the same time a spot opened up due to an injury of one of the other long time flaggers. It was handled VERY professionally by the Feld employee who supervised and trained us. The amount of logistics that go on behind the scenes was mind boggling to have one of these events run smoothly.
ruy
4/1/2019 5:44pm

Jimmy638
4/1/2019 7:24pm
GuyB wrote:
I checked, and if you contact Feld, your information will get sent to the head flag coordinator. But note that every spot for every venue has...
I'm sending my notice in for "head flag coordinator" Bet that position is filled until death or conviction
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
4/1/2019 7:47pm
Steve, You were right next to me a few times at NRG, I tried to get out of your way so as not to interfere with...
Steve, You were right next to me a few times at NRG, I tried to get out of your way so as not to interfere with your shot. You looked busy, and I was working and had a helmet on and couldn't hear much to talk anyway, so I never said hello. End of the whoops before the finish line bowl turn. It was thrilling, there was a lot of action right at my feet, literally. It was my 1st time, and I was offered an open spot by the Houston organizer of 15 years when I had contacted him on separate business, we had know each other casually since the 70's and I just happened to be contacting him at the same time a spot opened up due to an injury of one of the other long time flaggers. It was handled VERY professionally by the Feld employee who supervised and trained us. The amount of logistics that go on behind the scenes was mind boggling to have one of these events run smoothly.
Hey Johnny,

I always try to work around flaggers, so I don’t interfere with them. Smile

Between races, I don’t mind chatting, though I am often busy downloading photos from the cameras, or uploading pics to Grant or Instagram.

Glad you enjoyed it. It’s a completely different view from the floor, and you had a great spot.
level
4/1/2019 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2019 8:41pm
It would be bad ass to flag. Right in the middle of the action. Man that would be an experience. Best seat in the house.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
4/1/2019 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2019 8:45pm
Jimmy638 wrote:
I'm sending my notice in for "head flag coordinator" Bet that position is filled until death or conviction
How about Head Cynic instead? Smile
4/1/2019 9:04pm
Bet if you sat by the willcall truck with a sign that says “will flag for free” someone will scoop you up.

Post a reply to: How can you volunteer to be a flagger?

The Latest