How can I empower an rmz 250 2020 in it's affordable way?

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
10/8/2020 7:41am
I don’t think the RMZ sucks, it’s just not as good as the rest of the bikes out of the box. Engine isn’t that bad. I’d do a Vortex ECU from Twisted, Yoshimura full system and VPT4 fuel. Then I’d spend the rest of my money working on the suspension. A set of softer engine mounts from Works Chassis lab will help reduce the rigidity of the chassis.
Spudnut
10/8/2020 11:00am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/08/453354/s1200_C8DD64F5_4040_4B21_9040_E821ED682856.jpg[/img]

Bucket isn’t big enough (for me) lol
EngIceDave
10/8/2020 11:42am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2020 11:43am
Hi guys, i'm looking for some help with this bike, every review says that the new rmz sucks and it's very behind from the rest in...
Hi guys, i'm looking for some help with this bike, every review says that the new rmz sucks and it's very behind from the rest in terms of speed (also suspension)

Still it is very affordable, and finally it seems that I have the chance with one of these, but I don't want to fall behind the field so much in terms of speed, I have a fair good enough level for 250's so i'm affraid that it's speed difference is to big, so I came here for some recomendations on how can I give this bike some extra power to be in a near pace next to other japanese, I was thinking a good maping and an exhaust may be, but I can't think of any other thing to help with it. Or if mapping/exhaust can make the difference.

Please any advice from anyone who knows this bike and can cuide on how to empower ir? Any help is very usefull.

Go to Palmetto Motorsports, out in Hialeah, right off Palmetto Expressway, go in there, ask for Billy or "Super Mario" and tell them I sent you and they'll tell you all you need to know and be honest with you.

They eat and breathe moto and know more than anyone in Miami and have for decades
10/8/2020 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2020 12:06pm
Set up suspension.
1)Vortex Ignition 2) Race Fuel
3)porting
4) Exhaust 5) cams

Suzuki’s are pretty darn reliable.
Ghost

The Shop

AH387
10/8/2020 1:23pm
Set up suspension.
3)porting
4) Exhaust 5) cams

Ghost
But at what point do you just buy the Yamaha instead? Again, not trying to say that nobody should buy a Suzuki, but unless you just really like them, I just can't understand why someone would buy that bike up front (you aren't saving THAT much $) and then do all that. Most people can buy a YZ250F and set the sag, never need to do 1 thing to the suspension and honestly be happy with the motor too. With the RMZ you chance having to put more money into both areas (Suspension and motor) to get it to where you could already be at on another brand. And you didn't save any money in the process and also still have a bike with worse resale. These would just be things going through my head before I purchase an expensive, brand new bike...especially if like the OP is saying, money is somewhat of an object.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/8/2020 3:33pm
biondo wrote:
Hi I’m just starting MX bought the 2020 rmz 250 about 25hours zero problems! The only thing I did per advice from Michael Keating who races...
Hi I’m just starting MX bought the 2020 rmz 250 about 25hours zero problems! The only thing I did per advice from Michael Keating who races Vet expert! Who posts here under the 250rmz was change springs to
4.2 at my weight of 145 and looking to add a Yoshimura pipe but I’m not using all the power !! Had a friend who races a 450rmz help set up sag etc He is a ex pro who races and wins vet experts consistently! ...Great Bikes if you’re on a budget! My thoughts learn on this move up to a Husky 🤠
Let me know if you’re selling, interested if it’s in good shape. 🤙
10/8/2020 5:42pm
AH387 wrote:
But at what point do you just buy the Yamaha instead? Again, not trying to say that nobody should buy a Suzuki, but unless you just...
But at what point do you just buy the Yamaha instead? Again, not trying to say that nobody should buy a Suzuki, but unless you just really like them, I just can't understand why someone would buy that bike up front (you aren't saving THAT much $) and then do all that. Most people can buy a YZ250F and set the sag, never need to do 1 thing to the suspension and honestly be happy with the motor too. With the RMZ you chance having to put more money into both areas (Suspension and motor) to get it to where you could already be at on another brand. And you didn't save any money in the process and also still have a bike with worse resale. These would just be things going through my head before I purchase an expensive, brand new bike...especially if like the OP is saying, money is somewhat of an object.
Simply giving options. You can always do things as you go. Like stated unless your a serious racer you can ride the wheels off a stocker.
It’s not like the bike will hold him back from winning some plastic trophies. I’m a fan of the brand in general.
YZ250F is a good starting point no doubt.
Ghost
sf702/410
10/8/2020 6:03pm
Set up suspension.
3)porting
4) Exhaust 5) cams

Ghost
AH387 wrote:
But at what point do you just buy the Yamaha instead? Again, not trying to say that nobody should buy a Suzuki, but unless you just...
Probably at the point where and if he sees the reward for added expense. Think he said this was a great deal. They're great bikes o.p, and I'm on a 21 yz450f, coming off an 18 rmz.
AH387
10/8/2020 7:13pm
Simply giving options. You can always do things as you go. Like stated unless your a serious racer you can ride the wheels off a stocker...
Simply giving options. You can always do things as you go. Like stated unless your a serious racer you can ride the wheels off a stocker.
It’s not like the bike will hold him back from winning some plastic trophies. I’m a fan of the brand in general.
YZ250F is a good starting point no doubt.
Ghost
I get you. And nothing wrong with that. If someone wants a Suzuki, then by all means. A variety of good reasons to get one. I was only questioning the people that get one thinking it is a "deal" and plan mods to make up what they feel are its shortcomings (compared to more expensive bikes.) I would say more often than not, they spend as much, if not more (especially when factoring in lower resale of the brand.) So I'm not convinced it is the best budget buy, unless you know youll keep it stock. But i think a nicely set up RMZ can be a great machine, no doubt about it.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
10/8/2020 8:54pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Send the motor to Varner.
This will give you plenty of time to get in shape and squeeze in raising a child while you are waiting to get it back......
Mit12
10/10/2020 9:23am
Years ago I told Gary Jones that my 125 Suzuki was not fast enough. His reply,” how many throttle cables have you pulled the end off?”
The 250 Suzuki is fast enough in its stock form until you are at the national level.
10/11/2020 8:21am
The 2020 rmz250f is a very good bike and performs far better than most peoples opinions state.

My son has the new zook and he feels it is much better than the 2018 ktm250 he came off of. I'll say this, his lap times at fox raceway was about 2 seconds a lap faster on the zook in stock form minus (suspension, and basic tune from our laptop) than on his previous ktm that has what people say "more power and speed"

Take what people say with a grain of salt

Gearing and your laptop mixed with properly setup suspension will maximize your speed!!!
biondo
10/11/2020 12:02pm
The 2020 rmz250f is a very good bike and performs far better than most peoples opinions state. My son has the new zook and he feels...
The 2020 rmz250f is a very good bike and performs far better than most peoples opinions state.

My son has the new zook and he feels it is much better than the 2018 ktm250 he came off of. I'll say this, his lap times at fox raceway was about 2 seconds a lap faster on the zook in stock form minus (suspension, and basic tune from our laptop) than on his previous ktm that has what people say "more power and speed"

Take what people say with a grain of salt

Gearing and your laptop mixed with properly setup suspension will maximize your speed!!!
Really liking mine also! Your son is probably going much faster than me!! Old guy just learning! My vet Suzuki guys usually meet at
Fox 🦊 on Friday’s maybe see y’all there...
Warren
R VanKamp77
9/14/2022 1:29pm
Bumping this, since it got a rash of answers. Anyone throw on a slip on and a screen-less air filter to match a trimmed airbox and notice a big difference?
9/14/2022 2:21pm
It’s a centre port exhaust, down-draught twin injector motor. Has more torque than a Yamaha, Kawi and handles better. The hate stems from the kickstarter. Doesn’t need a camchain every 20hrs, and bottom ends don’t let go either.
Vortex Ecu, drill airbox and change filter cage, and only a slip-on. Will run with anything then.
Spring and valve to suit. Cheap too
KONG
9/14/2022 3:33pm
#fantasyworld
R VanKamp77
9/14/2022 4:07pm
KONG wrote:
#fantasyworld
Outed yourself. You probably get annihilated by guys with kickstarters every weekend.
9/15/2022 10:52am
ride it first and set the sag, see how you like it

get it valved it ifs not good enough

use the extra money for chains/sprockets and tires along with any other maintaince parts it will need
9/15/2022 12:11pm
For 2019+ RMZ250 w/dual injectors
More air in airbox
ECU (I prefer the GET), I can tune it.
Slip-on Pipe - Yosh preferred, change packing after 30hrs
T4 Fuel
Do The Jody
Shift often and early
Enjoy
KONG
9/15/2022 12:29pm
KONG wrote:
#fantasyworld
Outed yourself. You probably get annihilated by guys with kickstarters every weekend.
Can't tell you, haven't seen one of these yellow turds in ages.
Laughing

fourfourone
9/15/2022 12:37pm
KONG wrote:
#fantasyworld
Its hard to get beat by an RMZ when you literally see none at the local races. All these mods people are listing still leave the bike slower than the other brands.
R VanKamp77
9/15/2022 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2022 1:36pm
For 2019+ RMZ250 w/dual injectors More air in airbox ECU (I prefer the GET), I can tune it. Slip-on Pipe - Yosh preferred, change packing after...
For 2019+ RMZ250 w/dual injectors
More air in airbox
ECU (I prefer the GET), I can tune it.
Slip-on Pipe - Yosh preferred, change packing after 30hrs
T4 Fuel
Do The Jody
Shift often and early
Enjoy
What's the Jody!?

When you say slip on do you mean can only or full system? Is the header on these not really needing a swap?
Forty
9/15/2022 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2022 12:52pm
Mit12 wrote:
Years ago I told Gary Jones that my 125 Suzuki was not fast enough. His reply,” how many throttle cables have you pulled the end off?”...
Years ago I told Gary Jones that my 125 Suzuki was not fast enough. His reply,” how many throttle cables have you pulled the end off?”
The 250 Suzuki is fast enough in its stock form until you are at the national level.
excellent post - nails it.

This thread is over.

R VanKamp77
9/15/2022 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2022 1:16pm
KONG wrote:
#fantasyworld
Its hard to get beat by an RMZ when you literally see none at the local races. All these mods people are listing still leave the...
Its hard to get beat by an RMZ when you literally see none at the local races. All these mods people are listing still leave the bike slower than the other brands.
Thats not really true. The RM-Z is within 5-10% of every japanese brand at MOST (not all) points on a dyno in stock form. Intake, ECU, exhaust will level the field nearly. Especially with Honda, which the suzuki gets the better of in some spots, and is close otherwise. Why do you just make that stuff up? I'm so confused by the suzuki hate fetish

JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
9/15/2022 1:29pm
I am glad this thread got revived. Instead of making a new thread I figure this would be a good place to ask.

I can find RMZ250’s for about 5,500 at my local dealer or not too far away in California. As far as bang for your buck as a consumer, would a RMZ with investment in mods, or a stock Yamaha/KTM/Kawasaki/Etc. be a batter investment?
R VanKamp77
9/15/2022 1:35pm
JJO741 wrote:
I am glad this thread got revived. Instead of making a new thread I figure this would be a good place to ask. I can find...
I am glad this thread got revived. Instead of making a new thread I figure this would be a good place to ask.

I can find RMZ250’s for about 5,500 at my local dealer or not too far away in California. As far as bang for your buck as a consumer, would a RMZ with investment in mods, or a stock Yamaha/KTM/Kawasaki/Etc. be a batter investment?
For 5500 OTD and the cost of a full Gold valve setup, Pipe, powerflow air filter, and an ECU, you can be ripping a super competitive bike for less than 8k, completely tailored to you.

You gotta be seriously dim to think this bike is a trash heap or whatever the mid wits on here think.

fourfourone
9/15/2022 1:52pm
Its hard to get beat by an RMZ when you literally see none at the local races. All these mods people are listing still leave the...
Thats not really true. The RM-Z is within 5-10% of every japanese brand at MOST (not all) points on a dyno in stock form. Intake, ECU...
Thats not really true. The RM-Z is within 5-10% of every japanese brand at MOST (not all) points on a dyno in stock form. Intake, ECU, exhaust will level the field nearly. Especially with Honda, which the suzuki gets the better of in some spots, and is close otherwise. Why do you just make that stuff up? I'm so confused by the suzuki hate fetish

I didn't make anything up lol. Do you go to any of your local races? There is a huge lack of yellow presence there and there is a reason for it. Its a no brainer to spend the extra $500-800 and go with blue, red or green.

The last 5 years of shootouts every test rider has stated the bike is slower than the rest.

Your dyno graph proves my point. Its slower than the rest. It make the same power as the honda in 2 random areas of the power band but gets beat by 1-2hp everywhere else. Plus the honda is 10 pounds lighter and has e-start. Add the same mods to the honda that you would do to the RMZ and you have an even faster bike than the RMZ.

I still think the RMZ is a great looking bike and is a good bargain if you can find one on sale but if your paying retail you might as well go with another brand.

R VanKamp77
9/15/2022 2:00pm
Thats not really true. The RM-Z is within 5-10% of every japanese brand at MOST (not all) points on a dyno in stock form. Intake, ECU...

I didn't make anything up lol. Do you go to any of your local races? There is a huge lack of yellow presence there and there...
I didn't make anything up lol. Do you go to any of your local races? There is a huge lack of yellow presence there and there is a reason for it. Its a no brainer to spend the extra $500-800 and go with blue, red or green.

The last 5 years of shootouts every test rider has stated the bike is slower than the rest.

Your dyno graph proves my point. Its slower than the rest. It make the same power as the honda in 2 random areas of the power band but gets beat by 1-2hp everywhere else. Plus the honda is 10 pounds lighter and has e-start. Add the same mods to the honda that you would do to the RMZ and you have an even faster bike than the RMZ.

I still think the RMZ is a great looking bike and is a good bargain if you can find one on sale but if your paying retail you might as well go with another brand.

"read the shootouts!!1!"

I've owned and ridden them, you?

Post a reply to: How can I empower an rmz 250 2020 in it's affordable way?

The Latest