How angry must Mitch and JGR be at Kawa and Suzuki?!

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 8:44am
Jett and Hunter Lawrence came to Europe and signed a long term deal with Kawasaki, but that got cut short by the folding of the CLS Kawasaki team...

Then Suzuki picked them up and they looked like becoming a strong team... But then Suzuki pulled all their funding on MXGP and MX2 team. So no "Greg Albertyn" like project where Suzuki Europe delivers a great rider to Suzuki USA... Nope

And now those guys are ready to eat both US teams on those manufacturers alive on Geico Honda bikes... Well played Honda!! But I would be so pissed if I was Mitch or Jeremy Albrecht.
|
ratonmacias
6/28/2019 4:58pm
if Mitch or JGR wanted they could have signed them.

i get that JGR wants cheap riders Jbone has said so on Matthes` podcast.

And i Think Mitch has had plenty of bad Luck in SX.

Hopefully the outdoors breaks that Jinx.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/28/2019 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2019 6:40pm
Hunter and Jett were KTM Aussie Junior Team for a long time before they left those shores, so you can add Roger into that dicussion as well, and HUnter was Yamaha AU as well for a year before going to europe, so add star racing in the list,

Mitch passing on Ferrandis is probably a bigger missed chance,

The Shop

500guy
6/28/2019 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2019 6:45pm
So Mitch has the rider who's got he Red Plate and Geico has 1 moto win ?

So far besides for a few Moto's in 2-3 years what has Lawrence done?
USA
Fantasy
507th
6/28/2019 6:53pm
Interesting topic, I like it! I don’t remember the full story, but didn’t the Lawrence brothers sign with 114 Honda with the promise of going to USA? And that’s why they had Geico motors on that team?

ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/28/2019 7:02pm
USA wrote:
Interesting topic, I like it! I don’t remember the full story, but didn’t the Lawrence brothers sign with 114 Honda with the promise of going to...
Interesting topic, I like it! I don’t remember the full story, but didn’t the Lawrence brothers sign with 114 Honda with the promise of going to USA? And that’s why they had Geico motors on that team?

No, Hunter ended up with 114 because he had already signed a deal to ride for Geico in 2019, 20, and I believe 21 as well, he signed this deal in 2017 late that season. So he had to do one more year of GPs before coming over. I think he may have been slated or been discussing the HRC MX2 spot but Vlalnderen got it when HSF logistics folded their team and brought that money to HRC. This bringing over Boger and Vlaanderen. So instead he ended up at 114. And they didn’t have Geico engines but received some early tech info and purchased a few parts from them. But 114 never updated their spec as Geico kept on development into 2018.
CPR
6/28/2019 7:08pm
500guy wrote:
So Mitch has the rider who's got he Red Plate and Geico has 1 moto win ? So far besides for a few Moto's in 2-3...

I think the OP meant missing out on future opportunities rather than current results.
I mean Hunter did beat the USA's finest at a little off season race called motocross of nations the last two years, so just maybe he may have some potential?
500guy
6/28/2019 7:37pm
500guy wrote:
So Mitch has the rider who's got he Red Plate and Geico has 1 moto win ? So far besides for a few Moto's in 2-3...

CPR wrote:
I think the OP meant missing out on future opportunities rather than current results. I mean Hunter did beat the USA's finest at a little off...
I think the OP meant missing out on future opportunities rather than current results.
I mean Hunter did beat the USA's finest at a little off season race called motocross of nations the last two years, so just maybe he may have some potential?
He's in 7th now and finished 9th OA in GP's , I think He's good but I don't think anyone is mad he "Got away"
RedDirtDog
6/28/2019 7:39pm
scott_nz wrote:
Hunter and Jett were KTM Aussie Junior Team for a long time before they left those shores, so you can add Roger into that dicussion as...
Hunter and Jett were KTM Aussie Junior Team for a long time before they left those shores, so you can add Roger into that dicussion as well, and HUnter was Yamaha AU as well for a year before going to europe, so add star racing in the list,

pretty sure Mitch wanted ferandis but he chose the yamaha
6/28/2019 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2019 7:46pm
Maybe JGR missed out on Hunter due to not negotiating a good enuff deal? PC maybe same?
USA
Fantasy
507th
6/28/2019 7:47pm
ML512 wrote:
No, Hunter ended up with 114 because he had already signed a deal to ride for Geico in 2019, 20, and I believe 21 as well...
No, Hunter ended up with 114 because he had already signed a deal to ride for Geico in 2019, 20, and I believe 21 as well, he signed this deal in 2017 late that season. So he had to do one more year of GPs before coming over. I think he may have been slated or been discussing the HRC MX2 spot but Vlalnderen got it when HSF logistics folded their team and brought that money to HRC. This bringing over Boger and Vlaanderen. So instead he ended up at 114. And they didn’t have Geico engines but received some early tech info and purchased a few parts from them. But 114 never updated their spec as Geico kept on development into 2018.
Thanks for the info! I knew I didn’t have the details on the whole deal.

Sounds like the brothers were on the market for a USA ride with no commitments to any brand. Any team could have signed them. I don’t think Mitch and Jeremy have any anger over this situation.
life_of_jaze
6/28/2019 9:12pm
500guy wrote:

I can work with his speed.
6/28/2019 9:19pm
Thought this was going to be about Kawasaki and Suzuki not updating their bikes leaving the teams working with outdated bikes.
Question
6/28/2019 9:57pm
Interesting topic.

Personnally I think it may have also helped them to become better riders, not only on the bike but also in term of mindset and dedication, in addition of gathering much more technical knowledge in a short period of time and at a young age. Some advertisity or experiences sometimes can help to pass some steps.
hubbardmx50
6/28/2019 10:40pm
scott_nz wrote:
Hunter and Jett were KTM Aussie Junior Team for a long time before they left those shores, so you can add Roger into that dicussion as...

THIS. I always wondered why Ferrandis didn’t go with Pro Circuit, seemed like he was a long time Kawasaki guy in Europe. Any backstory to this?
yz133rider
6/28/2019 11:07pm
689 wrote:
Thought this was going to be about Kawasaki and Suzuki not updating their bikes leaving the teams working with outdated bikes.
Exactly what i thought too.
Dougy1
6/29/2019 12:10am
if Mitch or JGR wanted they could have signed them. i get that JGR wants cheap riders Jbone has said so on Matthes` podcast. And i...

I just don’t get the whole jgr philosophy it’s puzzling ..
Time for a new manager
6/29/2019 12:37am
Probably the biggest contributing factor was their manager. After their potential of course.
Mr. Afterbar
6/29/2019 4:27am
Maybe JGR missed out on Hunter due to not negotiating a good enuff deal? PC maybe same?
Maybe they didn’t want him? He’s not doing any better than PC and I doubt he’d want to ride for JGR as a first option in its current state.
davistld01
6/29/2019 7:24am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2019 7:25am
if Mitch or JGR wanted they could have signed them. i get that JGR wants cheap riders Jbone has said so on Matthes` podcast. And i...

JGR has a rep for being the last stop for a lot of riders. sad really that they are so open about buying cheap riders. They'll never be any more successful than they've been if they don't step up. Gibbs money is big money...don't tell me they couldn't pay the price for a top rider if they wanted one badly enough.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/29/2019 7:51am

davistld01 wrote:
JGR has a rep for being the last stop for a lot of riders. sad really that they are so open about buying cheap riders. They'll...
JGR has a rep for being the last stop for a lot of riders. sad really that they are so open about buying cheap riders. They'll never be any more successful than they've been if they don't step up. Gibbs money is big money...don't tell me they couldn't pay the price for a top rider if they wanted one badly enough.
They did, his name was James Stewart.
lumpy790
6/29/2019 8:06am
A lack of team funding affects how long a team can afford to pay to go races and riders & mechanics wages. Bogle was on Phoenix Hondas team for 2019 but title sponsor let the team as a whole down so they had to pull out of SX & Nationals.
Mr. Afterbar
6/29/2019 8:22am

davistld01 wrote:
JGR has a rep for being the last stop for a lot of riders. sad really that they are so open about buying cheap riders. They'll...
It’s a business. They’ve stated that they aren’t going to continue if they are losing money. Signing big name riders with their current funding would result in just that.
MXMattii
6/29/2019 9:08am
scott_nz wrote:

THIS. I always wondered why Ferrandis didn’t go with Pro Circuit, seemed like he was a long time Kawasaki guy in Europe. Any backstory to this?
Don't know the backstory, but I know from interviewing Dylan that Kawasaki USA/ Mitch Payton got an option to sign him as first. He didn't use that option and Dylan went to Yamaha.

Afterwards Mitch tried to sign him when his first two years of his Yamaha contract was up, but he renewed with Yamaha and won a SX lites championship.

But till today can't understand why he didn't use that option to sign Dylan because he's a tough, hard working guy.

On the Lawrence Brothers. Be honest sometimes brands don't think things trough. Herlings and Roczen where also both Suzuki riders in their youth. Suzuki screws up more often than not. Kawasaki did with Pourcel, Ferrandis, Lawrence Brothers.
6/29/2019 11:02am
Interesting topic, but where's the part where they eat the US competition alive?
MXMattii
6/29/2019 1:23pm
Interesting topic, but where's the part where they eat the US competition alive?
Jett is doing great at Mammoth, Hunter needs a little more time.
struth
6/30/2019 2:12am
Davalos , marchbanks or lawrence.....
Whos going to replace ac n forkner....both will be 450s soon.
KDXGarage
6/30/2019 3:41am
Cianciarulo has won 5 out of 6 races, Matti2x. How mad do you think Mitch Payton is??

Post a reply to: How angry must Mitch and JGR be at Kawa and Suzuki?!

The Latest