How about the 2019 GP calendar?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2018 5:45 AM

Indonesia twice again with Hong Kong and China as new destinations?

Photo

|

Do one thing everyday that scares you

7/5/2018 6:09 AM

Where the money is.

|

7/5/2018 6:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 6:13 AM

I am sure having two races in Indonesia is really going to help MX.

Joke

I expect this to change ten times before the season starts.

|

7/5/2018 6:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 6:13 AM

USGP as round 1? That would make sense since round 2 is in Argentina.

|

7/5/2018 6:15 AM

Good thing they're going back to Indonesia. I love watching a bunch pros splashing around in the mud hitting an astonishing 15 mph...

|

7/5/2018 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 6:28 AM

Can't wait to watch 14-15 MX2 regulars show up and 5 local trail riders as well. I have seen fair tracks better then those POS's those guys have to ride over there. Shame all the good tracks around Europe and US/ Canada and they go to those dumps.

|

7/5/2018 6:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 6:33 AM

Skip Indonesia and put it in Australia/New Zealand instead. I think trying out China and Hong Kong can be a good thing since that's actually a possible growing market for the sport


Edit: Just realised there is no race in the US, that sucks..

|

7/5/2018 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 8:52 AM

I predict a North Korean GP within two years, possibly Iran.

No Japan
No Australia, or New Zealand
No US, or Canada
No South Africa

But we get Turkey, China, Hong Kong, and Indonesia twice.....all are totalitarian regimes.

|

7/5/2018 9:13 AM

As soon as I saw the schedule I was reminded of this song:

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/5/2018 11:12 AM

Paul333 wrote:

I am sure having two races in Indonesia is really going to help MX.

Joke

I expect this to change ten times before the season starts.

It does, surprisingly.

Never discount bike sales in Asian market.

As an example the US market sales is around 500.000 bikes a year.
In indonesia the market is slightly (...) bigger with 6.000.000 bikes! Cheaper models for sure, but it is still a huge difference.

Honda sells over 4.000.000 bikes in that Country vs. 310.000 in US.

The specific sponsorship agreement for Yamaha MGXP factory 450 team for those two rounds is no surprise then:

https://www.mxgp.com/motocross/news/‘semakin-di-depan’-joins-monster-energy-yamaha-factory-mxgp-indonesian-grand-prix-rounds
The Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team and Yamaha Motor Europe will celebrate their fruitful relationship with Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) and the Indonesian fans by racing the Indonesian rounds of MXGP, in Pangkal Pinang and Semarang, with a special livery dedicated to the Asian market.

Factory Riders Romain Febvre and Jeremy Van Horebeek's special livery will be complete with the 'Semakin di Depan' logo. "Semakin di Depan" is the spirit of Yamaha Indonesia, it means "one step ahead" and is a philosophy that embodies everything that Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) is trying to achieve.

Under the spirit of the 'Semakin di Depan' motto and as an Official Sponsor of the Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team, Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team, Yamaha's R3 bLU cRU Challenge, and now with added support to the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team, YIMM is continuously highlighting its dedication to the growth and strength of Yamaha's racing community and the Yamaha Family.

The Indonesian rounds of the Motocross Grand Prix will take place back-to-back on the weekends of July 1st and July 8th at two different tracks and locations in Indonesia. The first of the Indonesian GP's will take place at a circuit that hosted its maiden round last year, Pangkal Pinang, while the second venue is completely unfamiliar, it is a new track in Semarang and it will make its MXGP debut on July 7th and 8th.

Mr. Minoru Morimoto, Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing President: "The increased enthusiasm surrounding MXGP in Indonesia is a solid reflection of the booming off-road market in our country. It is a great honor to support the world's top MXGP riders with our spirit "Semakin di depan" as we feel that the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP team embodies this spirit too. We believe that it is this spirit that fascinates the millions of fans in Indonesia, and we look forward to seeing a positive reaction from the fans at the next two rounds of the Motocross Grand Prix as a result."

Mr. Erik Eggens, Yamaha Motor Europe MX Racing Manager: "Last year the FIM Motocross World Championship returned to Indonesia with one event, and that has already increased to two rounds in 2018, which is a solid indication of how popular motocross racing in becoming in Asia. This is a fantastic opportunity for Yamaha Motor Europe and Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing to join forces and have the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team representing Yamaha Indonesia's spirit "Semakin di Depan" over the next two weekends in Pangkal Pinang and Semarang. This also presents a good opportunity to grow the off-road side of motorcycle racing and awareness, and it is something we are really looking forward to."

|

7/5/2018 11:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 11:27 AM

Paul333 wrote:

I am sure having two races in Indonesia is really going to help MX.

Joke

I expect this to change ten times before the season starts.

line-up wrote:

It does, surprisingly.

Never discount bike sales in Asian market.

As an example the US market sales is around 500.000 bikes a year.
In indonesia the market is slightly (...) bigger with 6.000.000 bikes! Cheaper models for sure, but it is still a huge difference.

Honda sells over 4.000.000 bikes in that Country vs. 310.000 in US.

The specific sponsorship agreement for Yamaha MGXP factory 450 team for those two rounds is no surprise then:

https://www.mxgp.com/motocross/news/‘semakin-di-depan’-joins-monster-energy-yamaha-factory-mxgp-indonesian-grand-prix-rounds
The Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team and Yamaha Motor Europe will celebrate their fruitful relationship with Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) and the Indonesian fans by racing the Indonesian rounds of MXGP, in Pangkal Pinang and Semarang, with a special livery dedicated to the Asian market.

Factory Riders Romain Febvre and Jeremy Van Horebeek's special livery will be complete with the 'Semakin di Depan' logo. "Semakin di Depan" is the spirit of Yamaha Indonesia, it means "one step ahead" and is a philosophy that embodies everything that Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) is trying to achieve.

Under the spirit of the 'Semakin di Depan' motto and as an Official Sponsor of the Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team, Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team, Yamaha's R3 bLU cRU Challenge, and now with added support to the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team, YIMM is continuously highlighting its dedication to the growth and strength of Yamaha's racing community and the Yamaha Family.

The Indonesian rounds of the Motocross Grand Prix will take place back-to-back on the weekends of July 1st and July 8th at two different tracks and locations in Indonesia. The first of the Indonesian GP's will take place at a circuit that hosted its maiden round last year, Pangkal Pinang, while the second venue is completely unfamiliar, it is a new track in Semarang and it will make its MXGP debut on July 7th and 8th.

Mr. Minoru Morimoto, Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing President: "The increased enthusiasm surrounding MXGP in Indonesia is a solid reflection of the booming off-road market in our country. It is a great honor to support the world's top MXGP riders with our spirit "Semakin di depan" as we feel that the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP team embodies this spirit too. We believe that it is this spirit that fascinates the millions of fans in Indonesia, and we look forward to seeing a positive reaction from the fans at the next two rounds of the Motocross Grand Prix as a result."

Mr. Erik Eggens, Yamaha Motor Europe MX Racing Manager: "Last year the FIM Motocross World Championship returned to Indonesia with one event, and that has already increased to two rounds in 2018, which is a solid indication of how popular motocross racing in becoming in Asia. This is a fantastic opportunity for Yamaha Motor Europe and Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing to join forces and have the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team representing Yamaha Indonesia's spirit "Semakin di Depan" over the next two weekends in Pangkal Pinang and Semarang. This also presents a good opportunity to grow the off-road side of motorcycle racing and awareness, and it is something we are really looking forward to."

Hint: You are cherry picking info to fit your agenda.

The Indonesian market is limited to cheap moped bikes. Not MX bikes. Why? Because the people of Indonesia are very poor. Virtually nobody can afford a car, so they buy cheap almost disposable bikes as their main transportation. This sad situation isn't going to change in our lifetime. I would be surprised if a hundred new MX bikes are sold in Indonesia each year.

What Indonesia does have is a corrupt & totalitarian government that's willing to pay Youthstreams/Luongo's absoratent race fees in an attempt to fool the world they aren't horrible. Hence Indonesia gets TWO GP's while: Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa, United States, Canada, etc don't get even one.

Hint #2:

That's a Youthstream/FIM/Loungo/MXGP press release. I'd trust it to be factual about as much as I would trust a politician to have a balanced budget.

|

7/5/2018 11:31 AM

Looks to me like a whole month away from mid-April to mid-May. Wow.

|

7/5/2018 11:38 AM

Paul333 wrote:

Hint: You are cherry picking info to fit your agenda.

The Indonesian market is limited to cheap moped bikes. Not MX bikes. Why? Because the people of Indonesia are very poor. Virtually nobody can afford a car, so they buy cheap almost disposable bikes as their main transportation. This sad situation isn't going to change in our lifetime. I would be surprised if a hundred new MX bikes are sold in Indonesia each year.

What Indonesia does have is a corrupt & totalitarian government that's willing to pay Youthstreams/Luongo's absoratent race fees in an attempt to fool the world they aren't horrible. Hence Indonesia gets TWO GP's while: Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa, United States, Canada, etc don't get even one.

Hint #2:

That's a Youthstream/FIM/Loungo/MXGP press release. I'd trust it to be factual about as much as I would trust a politician to have a balanced budget.

No agenda, just google searching:

https://www.statista.com/topics/1305/motorcycles-in-the-us/

https://www.indonesia-investments.com/news/todays-headlines/motorcycle-sales-in-indonesia-down-slightly-in-2017-up-in-2018/item8482?

And the PR was a Yamaha PR, I guess reposted by MXGP:

https://www.yamaha-racing.com/mxgp/articles/news/2018/742045/semakin-di-depan-joins-monster-energy-yamaha-factory-mxgp-at-indonesian-grand-prix-rounds

|

7/5/2018 12:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 12:19 PM

Paul333 wrote:

I am sure having two races in Indonesia is really going to help MX.

Joke

I expect this to change ten times before the season starts.

line-up wrote:

It does, surprisingly.

Never discount bike sales in Asian market.

As an example the US market sales is around 500.000 bikes a year.
In indonesia the market is slightly (...) bigger with 6.000.000 bikes! Cheaper models for sure, but it is still a huge difference.

Honda sells over 4.000.000 bikes in that Country vs. 310.000 in US.

The specific sponsorship agreement for Yamaha MGXP factory 450 team for those two rounds is no surprise then:

https://www.mxgp.com/motocross/news/‘semakin-di-depan’-joins-monster-energy-yamaha-factory-mxgp-indonesian-grand-prix-rounds
The Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team and Yamaha Motor Europe will celebrate their fruitful relationship with Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) and the Indonesian fans by racing the Indonesian rounds of MXGP, in Pangkal Pinang and Semarang, with a special livery dedicated to the Asian market.

Factory Riders Romain Febvre and Jeremy Van Horebeek's special livery will be complete with the 'Semakin di Depan' logo. "Semakin di Depan" is the spirit of Yamaha Indonesia, it means "one step ahead" and is a philosophy that embodies everything that Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing (YIMM) is trying to achieve.

Under the spirit of the 'Semakin di Depan' motto and as an Official Sponsor of the Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team, Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team, Yamaha's R3 bLU cRU Challenge, and now with added support to the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team, YIMM is continuously highlighting its dedication to the growth and strength of Yamaha's racing community and the Yamaha Family.

The Indonesian rounds of the Motocross Grand Prix will take place back-to-back on the weekends of July 1st and July 8th at two different tracks and locations in Indonesia. The first of the Indonesian GP's will take place at a circuit that hosted its maiden round last year, Pangkal Pinang, while the second venue is completely unfamiliar, it is a new track in Semarang and it will make its MXGP debut on July 7th and 8th.

Mr. Minoru Morimoto, Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing President: "The increased enthusiasm surrounding MXGP in Indonesia is a solid reflection of the booming off-road market in our country. It is a great honor to support the world's top MXGP riders with our spirit "Semakin di depan" as we feel that the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP team embodies this spirit too. We believe that it is this spirit that fascinates the millions of fans in Indonesia, and we look forward to seeing a positive reaction from the fans at the next two rounds of the Motocross Grand Prix as a result."

Mr. Erik Eggens, Yamaha Motor Europe MX Racing Manager: "Last year the FIM Motocross World Championship returned to Indonesia with one event, and that has already increased to two rounds in 2018, which is a solid indication of how popular motocross racing in becoming in Asia. This is a fantastic opportunity for Yamaha Motor Europe and Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing to join forces and have the Monster Energy Yamaha Factory MXGP Team representing Yamaha Indonesia's spirit "Semakin di Depan" over the next two weekends in Pangkal Pinang and Semarang. This also presents a good opportunity to grow the off-road side of motorcycle racing and awareness, and it is something we are really looking forward to."

Paul333 wrote:

Hint: You are cherry picking info to fit your agenda.

The Indonesian market is limited to cheap moped bikes. Not MX bikes. Why? Because the people of Indonesia are very poor. Virtually nobody can afford a car, so they buy cheap almost disposable bikes as their main transportation. This sad situation isn't going to change in our lifetime. I would be surprised if a hundred new MX bikes are sold in Indonesia each year.

What Indonesia does have is a corrupt & totalitarian government that's willing to pay Youthstreams/Luongo's absoratent race fees in an attempt to fool the world they aren't horrible. Hence Indonesia gets TWO GP's while: Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa, United States, Canada, etc don't get even one.

Hint #2:

That's a Youthstream/FIM/Loungo/MXGP press release. I'd trust it to be factual about as much as I would trust a politician to have a balanced budget.

I may agree on many part of your comments, but to not understand that Asia is "the first half of the 21st century continent to invest in" is surprising. With countries with something like 7% growth per year, how will these 6.000.000 bikes in indonesia look like in 20 years ? So then what % of people will start using it also for offroad? Also people do not look at the GPP per capita (not GDP per capita), which gives a better indication at what they can really buy and they can buy more than what we usually think. Based on that, how could it be possible to explain that going there, in a country with 260 million people, is less interesting for all the manufacturers but Honda who is dominant than say in any developped countries where market shares are pretty static ?

In addition, most people do not understand how a poor or developping countries consist of in term of wealth spread. Maybe 1% of europeans have nice bikes, but trust me I am 100% certain that 3 to 10% of Indonesians can buy as much as us so may become interested in dirt bikes in the future. Let us just look at the real estate market, for something decent for a family it starts from $70k so it is not like 100% of the population is struggling, and it will evolve pretty quick too. It is the future and we can't do much against it.

https://www.dotproperty.id/en/townhouses-for-sale

|

7/5/2018 12:26 PM

GB 24 March , it could well be a snow race

|

7/5/2018 3:06 PM

I wish we could afford to have a round back in Australia, last time it launched a few international careers.

|

7/5/2018 3:13 PM

Question wrote:

I may agree on many part of your comments, but to not understand that Asia is "the first half of the 21st century continent to invest in" is surprising. With countries with something like 7% growth per year, how will these 6.000.000 bikes in indonesia look like in 20 years ? So then what % of people will start using it also for offroad? Also people do not look at the GPP per capita (not GDP per capita), which gives a better indication at what they can really buy and they can buy more than what we usually think. Based on that, how could it be possible to explain that going there, in a country with 260 million people, is less interesting for all the manufacturers but Honda who is dominant than say in any developped countries where market shares are pretty static ?

In addition, most people do not understand how a poor or developping countries consist of in term of wealth spread. Maybe 1% of europeans have nice bikes, but trust me I am 100% certain that 3 to 10% of Indonesians can buy as much as us so may become interested in dirt bikes in the future. Let us just look at the real estate market, for something decent for a family it starts from $70k so it is not like 100% of the population is struggling, and it will evolve pretty quick too. It is the future and we can't do much against it.

https://www.dotproperty.id/en/townhouses-for-sale

This isn't the place for a Geopolitical & World Economics conversation so I will skip to the chase. I never buy into third world countries economic/poverty rate/etc numbers.They and the International banks that invest in them only want to encourage foreign investment to further their profits. Will someday Indonesia be a world economic powerhouse and buy 50,000 dirt bikes? It would be nice but I would not hold my breath. Not in our life times. Government corruption which Indonesia is world famous for has a way of sucking the life out of a country.

Now that we have wasted people time on a MX forum the true heart of the matter is Youthstream/Loungo don't care about any of this. They only care that a corrupt third world totalitarian regime is willing the pay full tilt for a PR stunt. Two international races to show the world how 'Normal" they are.

If it was based on growing the sport in Asia we would have a race in South Korea, a true democratic economic powerhouse with a real middle class that just might buy a dirt bike in our life time. But they won't because South Korea, Canada, U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc don't need to fool the world they are normal. Hence they won't pay the huge fee to hold a race.



|

7/5/2018 3:27 PM

Why Matterly in March? Isn't that going to be a cold muddy mess?

|

7/5/2018 3:32 PM

from Racer X:

http://racerxonline.com/2018/07/05/the-list-2019-gp-schedule

ASIA IS GROWING
Asia is a huge market for motorcycle sales, and Youthstream finds it important to take advantage. The 2018 calendar featured two rounds in Indonesia, and 2019 will grow even more with rounds in China, Hong Kong, and also the two Indonesia rounds.

Here is what Racer X European contributor Adam Wheeler said about the interest in Asia following the MXGP of Indonesia last weekend:

Why Indonesia? The public’s insatiable appetite for racing (the following for MotoGP alone is one of the biggest in the world, never mind Asia) is based on the importance of the motorcycle in day-to-day culture. In 2017, almost six million bikes were sold. It’s a hefty market for the brands. The inclusion of Hong Kong and China on the provisional 2019 MXGP calendar emphasizes how the series is a visual and affordable promotional tool for the manufacturers in a corner of the world where image has a lot to say, even if the model range of motorcycles sold is actually quite small and orientated around scooter and small-capacity two-wheelers. With two races in the territory this summer, it will be curious to compare and contrast Semarang this weekend with Pangkal Pinang and where the longevity for MXGP could reside.

|

7/5/2018 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 4:10 PM

I love people that peddle this shit as the future! FUCKSAKE Justin Cooper is the Future!!!
Luongo would whore his grandmother out for a buckfifty.. probably have a Gay-trans-gender neutral class soon

|

7/9/2018 4:24 AM

JD35 wrote:

Indonesia twice again with Hong Kong and China as new destinations?

Photo

This just summarizes why Motocross will never grow substantially under the hands of Youthstream.

For the first time in ages you have the opportunity to grow the spanish market (which is a huge bike nation looking at the motogp popularity). You have a fan favorite in Prado who will either defend his MX2 title or try to win it in 2019, and you have 2 additional MX2 guys who this season have been close to getting top 5's. And what do you do, you drop the Spanish GP.....

|

7/9/2018 4:35 AM

bummer no Australia

|

7/9/2018 8:44 AM

The World champsihip is actually venturing out of Europe a couple more times and people bitch. 16 races this year in Europe for a "gloabal championship" now at least the number will drop slightly. Still there should be GPs in Japan and Australia or New Zealand. The USGP was looking much better on the east coast as well.

|

7/9/2018 8:49 AM

HK and China, what's next for 2020? North Korea?

|

#1
KX125

7/9/2018 9:12 AM

You don't think YS bounces this off of the Teams/OEMs?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.