How about Stu Baylor!

LungButter
9/25/2020 2:44pm
agn5009 wrote:
Thad would like a word.
Yeah....hasn't he beaten KR more than anyone?

Stu is a stud but he doesn't exactly have a long list of GNCC overall wins.
ehr400
9/27/2020 5:07pm
How about Stu again today... he is a great racer and good dude

The Shop

MelonFan123
9/27/2020 10:03pm
For those that may not know (like me), the above posts made me go look them up and, yep Stew won again!

I casually follow GNCC so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the results showed only 9 pros in the XC1 class. Is that normal? With all the hoopla about the huge turnout for that series I was surprised to see so few pros.
redslush
9/28/2020 6:07am
For those that may not know (like me), the above posts made me go look them up and, yep Stew won again! I casually follow GNCC...
For those that may not know (like me), the above posts made me go look them up and, yep Stew won again!

I casually follow GNCC so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the results showed only 9 pros in the XC1 class. Is that normal? With all the hoopla about the huge turnout for that series I was surprised to see so few pros.
That's pretty normal for the XC1 class outside of the first couple rounds of the year where a bunch of randoms show up.
agn5009
9/28/2020 6:19am
For those that may not know (like me), the above posts made me go look them up and, yep Stew won again! I casually follow GNCC...

Its pretty normal unfortunately. But the lack of XC1 pro riders is made up by the amateur classes. They usually get awesome turn outs.
hard2kill
9/28/2020 6:39am

agn5009 wrote:
Its pretty normal unfortunately. But the lack of XC1 pro riders is made up by the amateur classes. They usually get awesome turn outs.
They use to have 25 plus in the pro class before they split it and formed xc2, and now you have xc3 as well as a couple of super fast 250A guys. The top 20 overall is still "pro class". Some of them just start on different rows now. The format has helped a few more guys get decent rides and stretch their "careers" efforts a bit.
There are usually 3 to 4 xc2 guys in the top 10 each round.
agn5009
9/28/2020 6:45am

agn5009 wrote:
hard2kill wrote:
They use to have 25 plus in the pro class before they split it and formed xc2, and now you have xc3 as well as a...
They use to have 25 plus in the pro class before they split it and formed xc2, and now you have xc3 as well as a couple of super fast 250A guys. The top 20 overall is still "pro class". Some of them just start on different rows now. The format has helped a few more guys get decent rides and stretch their "careers" efforts a bit.
There are usually 3 to 4 xc2 guys in the top 10 each round.
Yep. Plenty of talent in all 3 pro classes and of course great young talent in the A classes. I've finished inside the top 20 overall at GNCCs about 15-20 years ago and let me tell you, these young kids have elevated the speed significantly compared to what it used to be. I guess thats normal, but sheesh, I ain't into that kind of speed anymore Laughing
user760a
9/28/2020 7:32am

I just spent a few min and it appears that 2019 averaged about 12 XC1 pro riders. Not many riders actually make it to that level, and the speed that these guys have is unreal- your average local pro does not just go sign up for XC1 pro when GNCC is in town. These 10-12 guys would lap them
agn5009
9/28/2020 7:42am

user760a wrote:
I just spent a few min and it appears that 2019 averaged about 12 XC1 pro riders. Not many riders actually make it to that level...
I just spent a few min and it appears that 2019 averaged about 12 XC1 pro riders. Not many riders actually make it to that level, and the speed that these guys have is unreal- your average local pro does not just go sign up for XC1 pro when GNCC is in town. These 10-12 guys would lap them
If you're in the pro class at your local series you're probably getting into A class at a GNCC.
LungButter
9/28/2020 8:27am
agn5009 wrote:
If you're in the pro class at your local series you're probably getting into A class at a GNCC.
Isn't there some rules that "qualify" you to even sign up for XC1 now?
Johnny Depp
9/28/2020 9:03am
Can;t find any news on yesterday, anybody got a link?
JoeWV wrote:
Wow looks like the big news is KR going out with a knee injury. Sounds like Strang stopped and helped him off the track and he was able to ride back to the pits but not finish. He's got a 55 point lead with 2 races to go so he may be safe over Strang.

Great to see Sherco with Grant Baylor hit the podium, but that quick fill looks like shit. Great ride by Stu, it would be crazy for Yamaha not to wrap him up tight.
agn5009
9/28/2020 10:39am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2020 10:40am
Can;t find any news on yesterday, anybody got a link?
JoeWV wrote:
Wow looks like the big news is KR going out with a knee injury. Sounds like Strang stopped and helped him off the track and he...
Wow looks like the big news is KR going out with a knee injury. Sounds like Strang stopped and helped him off the track and he was able to ride back to the pits but not finish. He's got a 55 point lead with 2 races to go so he may be safe over Strang.

Great to see Sherco with Grant Baylor hit the podium, but that quick fill looks like shit. Great ride by Stu, it would be crazy for Yamaha not to wrap him up tight.
He should be safe especially with Ben Kelly and Stu Baylor looking so good. 1st place pays out 30 with second paying 25. So Strang has to win both races to win the title. If Russell and Strang were to tie, Russell would win due to more race wins. So yes, he's most likely good.

Stu really could have had a shot at the title this year. It sucks he had the issues with Sherco and the injury.
agn5009
9/28/2020 10:42am
agn5009 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
Yeah there's a ton of rules. Over a certain age, being on a factory team, top 10 o/a in the series or another national series, ISDE gold medal winner and a bunch more that I cant remember off the top of my head.
MelonFan123
9/28/2020 2:23pm
It just seems so weird to me that the XC1 class is so small. Do people just give up once they're fast A Class level if they don't have a factory ride or support for XC1? I guess it's just 5-6 factory supported guys and then just a few privateers..?

Regardless, stoked for Stew. He's going to be on the Pulp show tonight, should be an entertaining interview!
LungButter
9/28/2020 2:53pm
It just seems so weird to me that the XC1 class is so small. Do people just give up once they're fast A Class level if...
It just seems so weird to me that the XC1 class is so small. Do people just give up once they're fast A Class level if they don't have a factory ride or support for XC1? I guess it's just 5-6 factory supported guys and then just a few privateers..?

Regardless, stoked for Stew. He's going to be on the Pulp show tonight, should be an entertaining interview!
I kinda think so too, but you do have to be a certified bad ass to even have a chance at the front row, this is from the GNCC rule book. I think quite a few guys that meet the qualifications end up in XC2. Aside from the first couple rounds of the year, there hasn't been many "full gates" on the front row since XC2 came around it doesn't seem like.

bh
9/28/2020 2:53pm
agn5009 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Yeah there's a ton of rules. Over a certain age, being on a factory team, top 10 o/a in the series or another national series, ISDE...
Yeah there's a ton of rules. Over a certain age, being on a factory team, top 10 o/a in the series or another national series, ISDE gold medal winner and a bunch more that I cant remember off the top of my head.
One guy at a gncc even told me that all or the majority of the xc1 guys have to vouch for race that class. Don’t know how true that is but that’s what I heard.
hard2kill
10/1/2020 5:27am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2020 5:30am

Here is a video that gives some good perspective of just how legit the xc1 class is. Makes those mx guys complaining about a one lined track seem silly. The way these guys have to make passes is pretty similar to how Zack had to get to the lead at WW last week... just banzai it except between a couple trees!
j100
10/1/2020 6:35am
That was a really down to earth interview. Anyone know why he got sacked from sherco?
devotid wrote:
This is a summarized version..... In the beginning of the season when he was on the Factory Sherco (A new factory team).... He was leading Kailub...
This is a summarized version.....

In the beginning of the season when he was on the Factory Sherco (A new factory team).... He was leading Kailub Russel by about 3-4 seconds on the last lap of a harescramble and blew the last corner of the race. Kailub R got by him and took the win in the last few seconds of the race.

Well then......when SB was on the podium he said something like... "We dont even have f--king Quick Fill gas tanks yet... Lots of shit needs to change!" (referring to the fact that the new shercos still didnt have a factory quick fill valves and he had to remove the gas cap himself coming into the pits and lost about 8 seconds. Those 8 seconds were the difference in losing the lead in the last corner.)

I guess Sherco didnt like that. Dude got fired.

Im sure there was more instances... but you get the idear.

He is like the Bob Hannah of enduro/harescrambles.

I love it.
I love it that you're from Saginaw. thats my home town too. haha. moved away in 99.
motomike137
10/1/2020 9:05am
hard2kill wrote:
[embed][/embed] Here is a video that gives some good perspective of just how legit the xc1 class is. Makes those mx guys complaining about a one...

Here is a video that gives some good perspective of just how legit the xc1 class is. Makes those mx guys complaining about a one lined track seem silly. The way these guys have to make passes is pretty similar to how Zack had to get to the lead at WW last week... just banzai it except between a couple trees!
Looks like me and my buddies on a run to the local watering hole in northern MI Wink
Tuna
10/1/2020 9:59am
hard2kill wrote:
[embed][/embed] Here is a video that gives some good perspective of just how legit the xc1 class is. Makes those mx guys complaining about a one...

Looks pretty normal if you are used to racing in the woods.
If someone is holding you up and won’t move over after yelling and revving at them, it’s fair game to punt their ass into the trees.

Post a reply to: How about Stu Baylor!

The Latest