How MX safety has evolved in the last 30 years?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2018 6:04 PM

To me not much.

It is true that we got better suspensions, helmets, boots, knee braces and so on than on Ricky Johnson's era, but at the same time the sport has grown so much technically that today any amateur kid at the track jumps, scrubs, goes faster and do things that most of the pros long time ago wouldn't even dream about.

A1 and Houston had some sections where it looked like BMX at 50 miles an hour. The one where Wilson got hurt and Roczen almost washed? Man, those guys are monsters.

The bikes are good. Riders and teams take it more and more professionally every year. Everyone, even amateurs take it seriously.

This made our sport to grow up a lot lately.
But safety did not. At least not at the same pace as the sport itself.

Neck braces came to save our backs and broke our collarbones. Chest protectors don't do much more than 30 years ago. Apart from boots, knee braces and helmets, what do we have to minimize the damage?

|

1/18/2018 6:07 PM

Stay home and sit on the couch, about the safest way I know of not getting hurt.

We all know the risks.

|

1/18/2018 6:34 PM

There are numerous safety related products that you failed to acknowledge (that have evolved in the last thirty years).

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

1/18/2018 6:58 PM

CalRMX wrote:

Stay home and sit on the couch, about the safest way I know of not getting hurt.

We all know the risks.

Very helpful lol

|

1/18/2018 7:02 PM

I've been riding since 1980. Helmets have become lighter and vented, but actual protection hasn't evolved much until the last few years. Most chest/roost deflectors are only slightly updated over Bob Hannah's 1981 Flak Jak. I doubt any modern boot is more protective than the original Scott plastic boots that were only popular for a few years. Probably the best products I've seen come along are knee braces and the controversial neck braces.

|

1/18/2018 7:45 PM

If you think of the bike as safety equipment, power suspension and handling improvements keep you off the ground better today than a ‘73 TM400

|

1/18/2018 8:06 PM

I think that is the op's point. Bikes have advanced tremendously in the last 30 years, while a lot of riding/protective gear hasn't . Sure, bikes are safer in terms of suspension, brakes and handling. But they are also more powerful, yet easier to ride and you could argue this makes it more of a risk of hitting the ground harder.

|

1/18/2018 8:32 PM

Nearly every other professional racing format limits the power of the vehicles at some point. If this sport wants to decrease the injury rates, namely the 450 SX class, they will need to step in and put some type of performance limiter on the engines. It would also bunch up the pack and make for closer racing I would imagine.

Injuries will always happen in a dangerous sport, but things can be done to reduce the severity and frequency of these injuries.

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

1/18/2018 8:58 PM

Hank_Thrill wrote:

Nearly every other professional racing format limits the power of the vehicles at some point. If this sport wants to decrease the injury rates, namely the 450 SX class, they will need to step in and put some type of performance limiter on the engines. It would also bunch up the pack and make for closer racing I would imagine.

Injuries will always happen in a dangerous sport, but things can be done to reduce the severity and frequency of these injuries.

I think the same guys would be winning if they were on restricted motorcycles.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/18/2018 9:32 PM

I'm fairly certain there is a limit to the amount of protection you can offer a human being that is strapped to the exterior of a cage-less 40+HP two-wheeled machine by nothing more than two opposable thumbs and a bit of gravity; propelling itself over a bunch of obstacles while maintaining balance amidst complicated centrifugal and gyroscopic forces.

|

1/18/2018 10:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 10:45 PM

There's not much you can do, the only equipment that can evolve is helmets and boots.

You can't really counter dirt digs.

|

1/18/2018 11:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 11:26 PM

Hank_Thrill wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

I think the same guys would be winning if they were on restricted motorcycles.

I agree, the cream always rises to the top.

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

1/18/2018 11:27 PM

NETS

|

1/18/2018 11:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 11:49 PM

The helmets have taken a huge step forward and the goggles are more safe with the high end thick injection molded lenses. But other than that i can't see anything big on the safety front.

Neck braces? Maybe, it depends if you believe that they work or not. I haven't seen any actual scientific studies about that(feel free to guide me to one if you know someone that has done that).

Knee braces have been around for 20 years. The OTS braces are better now than 10 years ago but that is mostly comfort and fitment. Custom is still the way to go if you have the money for it(i don't).

I'm still waiting for an airbag system that Dainese and Alpinestars have for road racing. Like ML mentioned in an other thread, it will be multiple years before we see the first units on an MX track. But i'm sure it's coming. I think Alpinestars offers it for their offroad riders(Dakar etc)?

The easiest way to get injuries down is to slow down everything(slower tracks since the current bikes are really fast).

|

1/19/2018 6:15 AM

#1 improvement that is a million times safer and has redesigned how every helmet is manufactured for more safety.

From this ....

Photo

To this ......

Photo

Photo

|

1/19/2018 6:33 AM

Joko wrote:

If you think of the bike as safety equipment, power suspension and handling improvements keep you off the ground better today than a ‘73 TM400

I bet that 73 TM400 wasnt doing 70 ft tables and triples at 45 mph! It was running around a big turn track in the countryside and barely jumping and didnt have the acceleration to rip your arms off or take you for a ride, buck you off, and then chase you and impale you against the face of a jump!

So in fact, the new bikes are way more dangerous.

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

1/19/2018 6:36 AM

Motofinne wrote:

The helmets have taken a huge step forward and the goggles are more safe with the high end thick injection molded lenses. But other than that i can't see anything big on the safety front.

Neck braces? Maybe, it depends if you believe that they work or not. I haven't seen any actual scientific studies about that(feel free to guide me to one if you know someone that has done that).

Knee braces have been around for 20 years. The OTS braces are better now than 10 years ago but that is mostly comfort and fitment. Custom is still the way to go if you have the money for it(i don't).

I'm still waiting for an airbag system that Dainese and Alpinestars have for road racing. Like ML mentioned in an other thread, it will be multiple years before we see the first units on an MX track. But i'm sure it's coming. I think Alpinestars offers it for their offroad riders(Dakar etc)?

The easiest way to get injuries down is to slow down everything(slower tracks since the current bikes are really fast).

Last year I would have agreed with you on slowing things down, but Marvin was pretty well slowed down before he hit the shoulder on the turf. Eli was maybe a bit faster. Both got hurt because a bare shoulder hit the ground.

Deano was going pretty fast and hit hard. True chest shoulder protection might not have prevented injury, but possibly lessened it.

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

1/19/2018 6:49 AM

Joko wrote:

Either way you are pushing the edge. It's just that now you are doing it at double the speed. Not safer.

|

1/19/2018 6:57 AM

Motofinne wrote:

kaptkaos wrote:

Last year I would have agreed with you on slowing things down, but Marvin was pretty well slowed down before he hit the shoulder on the turf. Eli was maybe a bit faster. Both got hurt because a bare shoulder hit the ground.

Deano was going pretty fast and hit hard. True chest shoulder protection might not have prevented injury, but possibly lessened it.

I noticed in Bam Bams Houston podium interview he was wearing some protection under his jersey so there is something out there

|

1/19/2018 7:23 AM

you can provide the best safety equipment on the planet but won't do fuk all if you dont wear it...........lets recap, wilson, tomac, musquin............a jersey does not offer much shoulder protection

and the guy who almost lost his arm comes back wearing nothing either. He did get used to a wrist brace because he thought he needed it..........its all in the head.........maybe some of the up and comers will realize they're not invincible and at least try to use something but I'm not holding my breath!!unsure unsure

|

1/19/2018 7:27 AM

Moto lost some cool stuff when JT got sick of the industry!

|

1/19/2018 7:48 AM

There is really advanced chest/back/shoulder protection available from few manufacturers (Leatt, Acerbis, etc), that's not a problem. Problem is that no one is really interested to wear them. Male mind is programmed so that in twenties you feel invincible. We see results of that every weekend.

|

1/19/2018 7:48 AM

One thing that everyone seems to forget is the weight of the bikes and what it does to safety. One of the most fundamental law of physics states that force equals mass times acceleration and reducing mass would decrease impact force when riders are hitting the ground. With four stroke revolution current bikes are faster and heavyer than before and it surtenly doesn't help with preventing injuries. I think lighter and less powerfull bikes would cause a lot less injuries.

|

1/19/2018 8:13 AM

"Have you noticed how much MX safety has de-evolved in the last 30 years?"

Fixed the title for ya!

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

1/19/2018 8:25 AM

Of course full face helmets are a lot safer than the older open faced helmets. But I don't think full faced helmets advanced much in safety from the Bell Moto III, until recently. I think that the new MIPS equipped helmets and 6D helmets are a safety improvement. But I don't think my Bell Moto 8 is any safer than my old Bell Moto 3. It's a lot lighter and cooler, but I don't think its really any safer. Now, compare the advancements in football helmets. I have no doubt that the Ridell Speed my son wore last season is a lot safer than the suspension helmets that I started with as a kid.

|

1/19/2018 8:33 AM

All padding absorbs impact energy better then previous and the material use to make safety equipment is more durable and comfortable. Helmets have safety releases. Gloves have knuckle protection. Some wear mouth guards now. People where body armor that covers areas more fully.

|

1/19/2018 8:46 AM

Rxr has an interesting concept with the inflatable chest protectors, but they appear as though they would not ventilate very well. Any reviews?

|