How Long until The masses mostly Ride electric?

Frank
11/10/2018 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2018 6:18pm
h_reed wrote:
Gas powered engines and electric motors will never compete with each other in professional racing......never. There is no way to make a formula to make them...
Gas powered engines and electric motors will never compete with each other in professional racing......never.
There is no way to make a formula to make them even close to equal. It just will not happen. They don’t do it in formula one. Not gonna in supercross or MX either.
Another thing. If you think it’s expensive now, just wait until they start running full electric motors in pro mx! They will blow through money. All of the data acquisition, telemetry, high paid engineers that will go along with it. It will all trickle down to us and it’s not going to be cheap.
Hey get off my yard Dude! No one ever said racing has to be equal, there is only 1 winner. Nobody claimed life was fair. The...
Hey get off my yard Dude!

No one ever said racing has to be equal, there is only 1 winner. Nobody claimed life was fair. The so called class system has not provided parity and is a failure when 250's run lap times of the 450's. It's just so there are more winners.

As far as costs, The Alta over a few years would likely be less expensive than a 450, and much more user friendly to own and operate.

If you think the prices are going to stay high, have you priced a 4k TV lately? This Black Friday you'll be able to buy huge 4k's for under $500. Electronics are a very competitive commodity.
Yep and they are garbage and last 1-2 years. Electronics are garbage today and impossible to repair. They are designed to be disposable. Not what I want in a race bike that I ride in the rain and mud 90% of the time. If they get them at the $500 price point you mentioned it will work just like with the TV's.
h_reed
11/10/2018 8:31pm
h_reed wrote:
Gas powered engines and electric motors will never compete with each other in professional racing......never. There is no way to make a formula to make them...
Gas powered engines and electric motors will never compete with each other in professional racing......never.
There is no way to make a formula to make them even close to equal. It just will not happen. They don’t do it in formula one. Not gonna in supercross or MX either.
Another thing. If you think it’s expensive now, just wait until they start running full electric motors in pro mx! They will blow through money. All of the data acquisition, telemetry, high paid engineers that will go along with it. It will all trickle down to us and it’s not going to be cheap.
Hey get off my yard Dude! No one ever said racing has to be equal, there is only 1 winner. Nobody claimed life was fair. The...
Hey get off my yard Dude!

No one ever said racing has to be equal, there is only 1 winner. Nobody claimed life was fair. The so called class system has not provided parity and is a failure when 250's run lap times of the 450's. It's just so there are more winners.

As far as costs, The Alta over a few years would likely be less expensive than a 450, and much more user friendly to own and operate.

If you think the prices are going to stay high, have you priced a 4k TV lately? This Black Friday you'll be able to buy huge 4k's for under $500. Electronics are a very competitive commodity.
I’m not talking about an amateur racing an Alta on the weekend. The costs will be astronomical in professional racing. There will be some more options for normal people but the good ones will never be cheap.
If anyone thinks the guys on factory bikes are at an advantage now, just wait until the day they go electric!
That, and I don’t think a stadium full of people want to hear nothing but a bunch of chains rattling and squeaking. It’s not very appealing.
I really like them and they will have their place, just not in a live televised Supercross event.
redrider400
11/10/2018 11:26pm
They won't until the big 5 commit to it. And they are going to wait as long as they can. They will lose alot of money because of less maintenance and less moving parts.

The Shop

Talisker
11/11/2018 4:10am
Wow...... this sport i use to love is just turning more and more into a circus act. Its been in the toilet for years.... just waiting for someone to come along and give it a good flush.
Boring riders.....boring racing.....boring series.....
Sad thing is, i still watch.DryHuhDryHuh
RACERX69
11/11/2018 5:09am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 5:11am
The industry will be forced to go Electric as soon as Honda develops and begins selling an E-MXer. At that point, the AMA and MX Sports will drop all ICE classes from professional racing and HAVE Electric classes only!! Wink
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/11/2018 12:17pm
RACERX69 wrote:
The industry will be forced to go Electric as soon as Honda develops and begins selling an E-MXer. At that point, the AMA and MX Sports...
The industry will be forced to go Electric as soon as Honda develops and begins selling an E-MXer. At that point, the AMA and MX Sports will drop all ICE classes from professional racing and HAVE Electric classes only!! Wink
I could see that happening, just a matter of when as someone already said some big tech guru's predicted 2023 to 2035 , pretty big window but the opening to the window is only 5 yrs , one thing ive noticed with technology is it always seems to evolve faster than you would think.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/11/2018 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 12:19pm
Not that we wont still ride and race Ice i think a lot of us me included always will.
On a local level , even there does come a time when they arent sold new
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
11/11/2018 12:58pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Man , I don't know. To me , just hearing my motor , and the motor's of other guy's out there is a huge part of...
Man , I don't know. To me , just hearing my motor , and the motor's of other guy's out there is a huge part of it for me. Either riding with them , or watching some real fast dude's tear up the track.....the motor sounds are what get my blood pumping. Riding an electric bike seem's like fun.....but to me , watching a full gate would seem like watching paint dry. Just not interested at the moment.
So Jeff, think back to old school Salem AX. Fumes and smoke, and noise noise complaints. Now imagine that with. Ike’s making rc car noise, and the loudest thing being the crowd. Now I agree that the idea of. O engine noise seems really weird. I have a tough time imagining sx without engine noise and smelling race gas. But bmx races work without engine noise, so I think we’d adapt. I am all for it as it should mean more riding areas.
Fearo
11/13/2018 5:29am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 5:30am
gt80rider wrote:
When the switch came in rc, it came fast. It took about 5 years for the masses to go from nitro or brushed NiMH to Lithium/brushless...
When the switch came in rc, it came fast. It took about 5 years for the masses to go from nitro or brushed NiMH to Lithium/brushless.

In moto, well, it is going to take a LOT longer. The infrastructure for charging is an issue, as is cost. Electric bikes won't be cheaper, they will be even MORE expensive. In rc, the added power and runtime was awesome, in moto, we already have more power than we could ever use, giving us even more, well, that's only good business for doctors. IMO, moto bikes are already Awesome at their task, there just isn't going to be a huge reduction in lap times by going to electric, therefore I don't see them taking off any time soon.
Funny you mention RC cars, because it is a great market to look at for this topic imo.

You're right that many have switched from nitro to electric for various reasons (the same that would apply to E-moto), but the interesting thing is that this seems to be very 'region' and 'skill level' specific.

Let me explain: In most areas where noise isn't a huge problem and/or people are really combustion engine fanatics (for example SoCal) nitro is still very much the dominant class. Secondly, while all the top drivers run E-buggies, most of the veteran and skilled drivers still run nitro most of the time. Big races are still also nitro focused with E-buggies as a side program.

Another example: There still isn't a 1/8 E-buggy world championship while the 1/8 nitro WC (that just ran in Australia) is the biggest race in the world.

RC cars are the perfect proving grounds for electric competition vehicles because of the limited battery needs and while they have taken over a portion of the market, they haven't knocked nitro off its throne and it doesn't look like it will ever happen unless they ban nitro outright.

Long story short on how this compares to moto in my eyes: Expect a percentage of the market to shift to electric in the coming 10-15 years, but don't expect hardcore racers and international championships to EVER convert to electric unless they are forced to.

early
Fantasy
2231st
11/13/2018 5:59am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 6:04am
Fearo wrote:
Funny you mention RC cars, because it is a great market to look at for this topic imo. You're right that many have switched from nitro...
Funny you mention RC cars, because it is a great market to look at for this topic imo.

You're right that many have switched from nitro to electric for various reasons (the same that would apply to E-moto), but the interesting thing is that this seems to be very 'region' and 'skill level' specific.

Let me explain: In most areas where noise isn't a huge problem and/or people are really combustion engine fanatics (for example SoCal) nitro is still very much the dominant class. Secondly, while all the top drivers run E-buggies, most of the veteran and skilled drivers still run nitro most of the time. Big races are still also nitro focused with E-buggies as a side program.

Another example: There still isn't a 1/8 E-buggy world championship while the 1/8 nitro WC (that just ran in Australia) is the biggest race in the world.

RC cars are the perfect proving grounds for electric competition vehicles because of the limited battery needs and while they have taken over a portion of the market, they haven't knocked nitro off its throne and it doesn't look like it will ever happen unless they ban nitro outright.

Long story short on how this compares to moto in my eyes: Expect a percentage of the market to shift to electric in the coming 10-15 years, but don't expect hardcore racers and international championships to EVER convert to electric unless they are forced to.

This comparison is very accurate, however you are making lots of assumptions.

1. 1/8th scale World's is a very prestigious championship, however most top US racers spend more weekends a year running electric than running nitro.

2. The shift is regional with the northern states adopting electric on a wide scale because of the ease of running indoors with them. The progress of electric cars helped to change the way the sport evolved in these areas. Still, do the socal indoor tracks see more people/week than the outdoor tracks? I would imagine so.

3. Brushless motors and lipo batteries revitalized the rc industry. It would probably be a fraction of what it is today if everything was nimh and nitro. I would love to see figures from amain on how many engines they sell vs motor/esc combos.

4. Even the most hardcore rc fanatic is unlikely to only own fuel vehicles. For most people I'd imagine electrics are used for practice and fun, while fuel cars are brought out less often for special occasions.

5. Running a gas dirt bike isn't that much more work (maybe less) than running an electric bike so some of the points I made don't translate directly. Also rc cars are so cheap compared to a new bike (gas or electric) the barrier for entry or to have multiple vehicles is not quite the same.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/13/2018 6:28am
Fearo wrote:
Funny you mention RC cars, because it is a great market to look at for this topic imo. You're right that many have switched from nitro...

early wrote:
This comparison is very accurate, however you are making lots of assumptions. 1. 1/8th scale World's is a very prestigious championship, however most top US racers...

1. 1/8th scale World's is a very prestigious championship, however most top US racers spend more weekends a year running electric than running nitro.

2. The shift is regional with the northern states adopting electric on a wide scale because of the ease of running indoors with them. The progress of electric cars helped to change the way the sport evolved in these areas. Still, do the socal indoor tracks see more people/week than the outdoor tracks? I would imagine so.

3. Brushless motors and lipo batteries revitalized the rc industry. It would probably be a fraction of what it is today if everything was nimh and nitro. I would love to see figures from amain on how many engines they sell vs motor/esc combos.

4. Even the most hardcore rc fanatic is unlikely to only own fuel vehicles. For most people I'd imagine electrics are used for practice and fun, while fuel cars are brought out less often for special occasions.

5. Running a gas dirt bike isn't that much more work (maybe less) than running an electric bike so some of the points I made don't translate directly. Also rc cars are so cheap compared to a new bike (gas or electric) the barrier for entry or to have multiple vehicles is not quite the same.
I Live in Minnesota and i havent Seen
Anyone here using buying or talking about gas RC cars in a few years , its all electric, they even converted 1/8th scale gas RC cars into electric
Everything is brushless electric now
Fearo
11/13/2018 8:02am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 8:04am
early wrote:
This comparison is very accurate, however you are making lots of assumptions. 1. 1/8th scale World's is a very prestigious championship, however most top US racers...

I agree I'm making lots of assumptions. As is anyone that's trying to look into the future of electric racing.

To react to the points you're making:

1) Strongly disagree, unless you are talking about 10th scale. I follow the RC scene daily and top 1/8 nitro racers spend a fraction of their time running 1/8 E-buggies compared to nitro.

2) I don't live in the US but I can follow your logic. In overcrowded Central Europe, RC would be dead if it wasn't for electric.

3) I agree, but I addressed this in my first post. Quantity of electric stuff purchased will be much higher due to easier accessibility, but if you asked Amain how many top dollar electric esc/motor racing combos vs engine/pipe combos they sold I think the difference would be much smaller.

4) Hmm, I don't know if I would agree. I don't own a nitro car because there is no place to run one close to my home, otherwise I would be all over it and probably would only run electric sporadically. I have seen many many die hard nitro racers online that don't own any electric vehicles.

5) True, the decision to purchase one or the other isn't as important due to lower cost, as is the resale value.
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/13/2018 8:12am
Fearo wrote:
I agree I'm making lots of assumptions. As is anyone that's trying to look into the future of electric racing. To react to the points you're...
I agree I'm making lots of assumptions. As is anyone that's trying to look into the future of electric racing.

To react to the points you're making:

1) Strongly disagree, unless you are talking about 10th scale. I follow the RC scene daily and top 1/8 nitro racers spend a fraction of their time running 1/8 E-buggies compared to nitro.

2) I don't live in the US but I can follow your logic. In overcrowded Central Europe, RC would be dead if it wasn't for electric.

3) I agree, but I addressed this in my first post. Quantity of electric stuff purchased will be much higher due to easier accessibility, but if you asked Amain how many top dollar electric esc/motor racing combos vs engine/pipe combos they sold I think the difference would be much smaller.

4) Hmm, I don't know if I would agree. I don't own a nitro car because there is no place to run one close to my home, otherwise I would be all over it and probably would only run electric sporadically. I have seen many many die hard nitro racers online that don't own any electric vehicles.

5) True, the decision to purchase one or the other isn't as important due to lower cost, as is the resale value.
On item 1, the US guys typically run 1/10th and 1/8th scale, I don't know if there are any top pros that race exclusively 1/8th scale here.

I know I got into RC because it was easy to do and fun with lipos. With 2 cars and 2 batteries for each car you can run all day with hardly any breaks. I can also put my cars away for months and pull the out and I never worry about how hard it will be to get them running again.
gt80rider
11/13/2018 8:32am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 8:33am
gt80rider wrote:
When the switch came in rc, it came fast. It took about 5 years for the masses to go from nitro or brushed NiMH to Lithium/brushless...
When the switch came in rc, it came fast. It took about 5 years for the masses to go from nitro or brushed NiMH to Lithium/brushless.

In moto, well, it is going to take a LOT longer. The infrastructure for charging is an issue, as is cost. Electric bikes won't be cheaper, they will be even MORE expensive. In rc, the added power and runtime was awesome, in moto, we already have more power than we could ever use, giving us even more, well, that's only good business for doctors. IMO, moto bikes are already Awesome at their task, there just isn't going to be a huge reduction in lap times by going to electric, therefore I don't see them taking off any time soon.
Fearo wrote:

If you seriously think nitro is king in rc, then you don't know enough about the industry to remotely talk about it. Sorry, what they are running at your local track means virtually nothing to the industry as a whole. Also, even the IFMAR Perth race means very little in the grand scheme of rc, as the vast majority of rc'ers are out running their SCX10, X-Maxx, Stampede, Kraton, etc, and not watching the latest race news.

Then there is a bunch more non-sense posted about rc above that means nothing when comparing rc switching from fuel to electric, and moto doing the same. Just some dudes who have no idea arguing over stuff they have even less an idea about. In rc, nitro engines straight up suck, meaning they are a lot of work, and while they have tons of power, they run very inconsistently, pissing more people off than turning them on. In rc, it was easy for people to RUN away from nitro, as electric is so much easier to use on the daily. In moto, the engines are already awesome, people won't be running to electric for performance and maintenance issues.

To boil it down, my personal prediction is at least 10 years (2028?? Wow, can't wait to see one of you freaks quote this post when wrong, LOL) for 51% of guys on the gate to be running 3 phase/Lithium.

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/13/2018 9:03am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 9:05am
gt80rider wrote:

Fearo wrote:

gt80rider wrote:
If you seriously think nitro is king in rc, then you don't know enough about the industry to remotely talk about it. Sorry, what they are...
If you seriously think nitro is king in rc, then you don't know enough about the industry to remotely talk about it. Sorry, what they are running at your local track means virtually nothing to the industry as a whole. Also, even the IFMAR Perth race means very little in the grand scheme of rc, as the vast majority of rc'ers are out running their SCX10, X-Maxx, Stampede, Kraton, etc, and not watching the latest race news.

Then there is a bunch more non-sense posted about rc above that means nothing when comparing rc switching from fuel to electric, and moto doing the same. Just some dudes who have no idea arguing over stuff they have even less an idea about. In rc, nitro engines straight up suck, meaning they are a lot of work, and while they have tons of power, they run very inconsistently, pissing more people off than turning them on. In rc, it was easy for people to RUN away from nitro, as electric is so much easier to use on the daily. In moto, the engines are already awesome, people won't be running to electric for performance and maintenance issues.

To boil it down, my personal prediction is at least 10 years (2028?? Wow, can't wait to see one of you freaks quote this post when wrong, LOL) for 51% of guys on the gate to be running 3 phase/Lithium.

You have Good points and opinions the only thing i question is why you look at it as arguments and people spewing nonesence , especially when the info is being read instead of heard , must just be the way it comes out in your mind i guess , i look at it as friendly debating and people giving there opinions, even if some times i disagree with there opinions, sometimes its the way they see it or
The way they are predicting things to happen , to me its
Interesting to see different points of view and interesting how two people can see the same thing or get the same info and come to a totally different conclusion.
To me thats part of the fun of a forum
Fearo
11/13/2018 9:16am
gt80rider wrote:

Fearo wrote:

gt80rider wrote:
If you seriously think nitro is king in rc, then you don't know enough about the industry to remotely talk about it. Sorry, what they are...

Not only did you try to belittle me, your post is completely beside the point.

We were talking about competition RC cars, as an analogy to motocross, not bashers like freaking Stampede's.

You pretend to know more than me but call the biggest race in the sport the "Ifmar Perth race", well ok then.

Another 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Fearo
11/13/2018 9:21am
early wrote:
On item 1, the US guys typically run 1/10th and 1/8th scale, I don't know if there are any top pros that race exclusively 1/8th scale...
On item 1, the US guys typically run 1/10th and 1/8th scale, I don't know if there are any top pros that race exclusively 1/8th scale here.

I know I got into RC because it was easy to do and fun with lipos. With 2 cars and 2 batteries for each car you can run all day with hardly any breaks. I can also put my cars away for months and pull the out and I never worry about how hard it will be to get them running again.
I know, pretty much all of them run both 1/10 and 1/8 but I was really talking about 1/8 nitro vs electric only because I feel it makes a good comparison with standard MX bikes and E-dirtbikes.
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/13/2018 9:52am
gt80rider wrote:

Just like how electric advancements drove RC racing indoors and now even to increased numbers of carpet and turf tracks, what if E-Moto looks different than what we have today. What if bikes like the sur-ron become more popular that are smaller and cheaper than gas bikes (like 1/10th scale racing vs 1/8th or 1/5th scale in RC). Like when pitbike racing became popular. What if you had indoor places like Ray's MTB park that catered to E-Moto, with an arenacross/bmx size track and maybe a technical endurocross track that was an appropriate scale for a bike that size, there may not even be dirt on the track!. A bike that could fit in the back of a Ford Escape, or Honda CR-V. That you could charge overnight, load up in the morning, take to work with you and stop off at the indoor park after work. No gas to stink up your car, just some chain lube.

Lots of people are put off dirt bikes because of the inconvenience of it, alot of these people are driven to mountain bikes and some are driven to RC car racing instead. What if electric Moto had the capability to combine the fun of Moto with the convenience of mountain biking or RC car racing?

Post a reply to: How Long until The masses mostly Ride electric?

The Latest