How DC can save the 2010 US Nationals

Motodude
Edited Date/Time 1/13/2012 11:06pm
Reduce it to 8 rounds. Teams wont need the big budgets from past years which arent available now anyway. It will help maintain the quality and intensity until the last round, whereas in past years we've seen significant drops after round 10.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/12/2009 4:28pm
Is it time for everyone in the U.S. to start telling Australia how to run their nationals? Wink
Motodude
10/12/2009 4:31pm
GuyB wrote:
Is it time for everyone in the U.S. to start telling Australia how to run their nationals? Wink
You have for decades already... bowing to your schedules, naming rights and prefered rider contracts. This is just my opinion based rational economic fact.
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
10/12/2009 4:33pm
How many rounds did you go to this year Motodude? I went to six and I didn't see much at all that needed to be "saved".

The Shop

Crush
10/12/2009 4:35pm
I kinda thought the 09 season was the best in ages... Looked fine to me...

The economy is the only thing holding stuff back right now, and that will sort itself out, with no help from any of us...
Motodude
10/12/2009 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2009 4:40pm
cdm806 wrote:
How many rounds did you go to this year Motodude? I went to six and I didn't see much at all that needed to be "saved".
If you just crawled out from under a rug, the big teams have made significant budget cuts for 2010, lots of riders still sitting around without deals for next year. It would be more attractive for teams if there were only 8 outdoor rounds. It could be an intrim measure until things come around economically.
TerryB
10/12/2009 4:40pm
Or fewer indoor rounds... That would be an acceptable sacrifice.
kardy
10/12/2009 4:41pm
cdm806 wrote:
Motodude wrote:
If you just crawled out from under a rug, the big teams have made significant budget cuts for 2010, lots of riders still sitting around without...
If you just crawled out from under a rug, the big teams have made significant budget cuts for 2010, lots of riders still sitting around without deals for next year. It would be more attractive for teams if there were only 8 outdoor rounds. It could be an intrim measure until things come around economically.
Yea, they'd be more likely to think: "hell, only 8 rounds - what's the point? It's a shadow of it's former self". Great idea, but the Nats don't need saving, they're getting better, not worse.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/12/2009 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:42am
Motodude wrote:
Reduce it to 8 rounds. Teams wont need the big budgets from past years which arent available now anyway. It will help maintain the quality and...
Reduce it to 8 rounds. Teams wont need the big budgets from past years which arent available now anyway. It will help maintain the quality and intensity until the last round, whereas in past years we've seen significant drops after round 10.
Double header weekends might help the travel costs (Race a full schedule Saturday & Sunday),with 8 stops.
JW381
10/12/2009 4:44pm
Don't forget the 2 strokes. They are going to save the whole sport.
Smartest thing you've ever typed Smile
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
10/12/2009 4:44pm
OK Mr Bigshot Aussie, how exactly is stripping a race from a promoter (shutting down his track, and business) and taking races away from paying fans going to benefit the sport here in the US? I noticed you didn't answer how many races you went to. Is that because you stayed in Australia and didn't bother to attend? You don't see us on here telling you how to "save" you series, do you?
Motodude
10/12/2009 4:47pm
cdm806 wrote:
Motodude wrote:
If you just crawled out from under a rug, the big teams have made significant budget cuts for 2010, lots of riders still sitting around without...
kardy wrote:
Yea, they'd be more likely to think: "hell, only 8 rounds - what's the point? It's a shadow of it's former self". Great idea, but the...
Yea, they'd be more likely to think: "hell, only 8 rounds - what's the point? It's a shadow of it's former self". Great idea, but the Nats don't need saving, they're getting better, not worse.
I get your point, but it wont be a shadow of its former self. The only reason it was so great this year was because there wasnt one rider dominating. That isnt my point here. Its about teams forking out $$$ to attend so many rounds, if they dont have the budgets to do all 12 they might not even bother doing the series at all..
Motodude
10/12/2009 4:49pm
cdm806 wrote:
OK Mr Bigshot Aussie, how exactly is stripping a race from a promoter (shutting down his track, and business) and taking races away from paying fans...
OK Mr Bigshot Aussie, how exactly is stripping a race from a promoter (shutting down his track, and business) and taking races away from paying fans going to benefit the sport here in the US? I noticed you didn't answer how many races you went to. Is that because you stayed in Australia and didn't bother to attend? You don't see us on here telling you how to "save" you series, do you?
Its not personal and I dont need to attend countless races of your fine series to get the picture of what budget cutbacks will bring.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
10/12/2009 4:52pm
JW381 wrote:
Hard to detect sarcasm sometimes on a forum…………….
OldTiddler
10/12/2009 4:54pm
The nationals will go away as any kind of meaningful pro championship series like SX.

I think there will be less events in future, but also more select and less standardized, like what the US Open does with a changing format, or "Invitationals" in order to try attract spectators and riders.

JW381
10/12/2009 4:58pm
JW381 wrote:
OW38B wrote:
LOL or in this case, VERY easy. I find the best way to combat such obvious sarcasm is to take what they are saying serious. I dunno dude, I thought it was kinda funny haha
Motodude
10/12/2009 5:02pm
OldTiddler wrote:
The nationals will go away as any kind of meaningful pro championship series like SX. I think there will be less events in future, but also...
The nationals will go away as any kind of meaningful pro championship series like SX.

I think there will be less events in future, but also more select and less standardized, like what the US Open does with a changing format, or "Invitationals" in order to try attract spectators and riders.

Aussie SX series did that last year trying different formats each round.
lumpy790
10/12/2009 5:06pm
Less races would mean less eyes being exposed to a product making it more difficult to sell to any potential sponsor.
felpro
10/12/2009 5:11pm
Anyone who thinks the sport or the just the nationals does not need saving, should talk to one of the many 'unemployed' riders out there. Team managers are making decisions on whether to hire a rider or not. They are getting budgets for a year of racing, indoors and outdoors.

Less rounds is one idea. It have advantages and disadvantages. It needs to be discussed. Other ideas need to be raised. Things get discussed and people that matter may read and implement the ideas that come from any intelligent discussion.

Some traditions may need to pass into memory for the sport to survive next year and the one after. That'll hurt some people - but people are hurting out there !!

Some want to see the greats on TV racing the outdoors, some would be happy to have the sport small enough to enjoy the family picnic at turn one while their Aunt does her turn at flagging ...

You can't have it all when times are tough. Throw around ideas, debate the ideas

To me, more TV means more sponsor dollars and better riders lining up at the starts. If that means less rounds and a tighter series ... it has to be a benefit in the long term.

motogeezer
10/12/2009 5:17pm
OW38B wrote:
To save on travel expenses, we should do all 16 rounds in California.

We've got plenty of tracks, all the teams are here already, and let's face it, California is bitchin', dude!

Did you catch it that time?Smile

10/12/2009 5:35pm
cdm806 wrote:
Motodude wrote:
kardy wrote:
Yea, they'd be more likely to think: "hell, only 8 rounds - what's the point? It's a shadow of it's former self". Great idea, but the...
How was attendance this year compared to past years?
10/12/2009 5:42pm
The 3 rounds I attended (Red Bud, Millville, Unadilla) were vastly improved over prior years. The facilities looked like motorsport complexes and the racing was better than it has been the past 8 years. The other rounds I watched live on the internet and same day in HD on tv. The US Nationals are alive and kicking!
Larry
10/12/2009 5:44pm
Motodude is such a prick but one of our best National series ever was only 5 rounds.
The truth hurts sometimes.
10/12/2009 5:47pm
JW381 wrote:
OW38B wrote:
JW381 wrote:
LOL or in this case, VERY easy. I find the best way to combat such obvious sarcasm is to take what they are saying serious. I...
LOL or in this case, VERY easy. I find the best way to combat such obvious sarcasm is to take what they are saying serious. I dunno dude, I thought it was kinda funny haha
Thx. It's true tho. I heard the 2T is going to balance the budget too.

I thought it was funny too, I mean mine part not yours. Smile
10/12/2009 5:48pm
OW38B wrote:
motogeezer wrote:
To save on travel expenses, we should do all 16 rounds in California. We've got plenty of tracks, all the teams are here already, and let's...
To save on travel expenses, we should do all 16 rounds in California.

We've got plenty of tracks, all the teams are here already, and let's face it, California is bitchin', dude!

Did you catch it that time?Smile

I am with ya, if they have 250F's vs 250T's.
10/12/2009 5:58pm
I think indoor and outdoor racing could use some basic marketing help. I always thought they were missing out on many more casual spectators because the events have become too one dimensional. Especially the outdoors.

When I was a kid, here in Houston, there was a “Motorcycle Show” at the Astrohall on the same weekend as the SX was. We made a day of it. And it drew more fans than just motocross fans. Now the motorcycle show is in the fall and the SX is in the spring. And the attendance at both is poor. Why not have them on the same day again, with a carnival with rides and a pit area people can actually access (our pit pass situation is a joke here in Houston). i.e. make it more appealing to more people.

The outdoor MX’s could use a similar formula. Add a carnival atmosphere to the pit area , attract more casual fans, then more exhibitors will show up. Heck, end the MX event with a live band and you would have one heck of an event to go to. Thats what the Rodeo has been doing for years (1,000,000 spectators in 10 days/nights)

You get more people, the sponsors will follow, and so will the money.
Motodude
10/12/2009 6:14pm
I think indoor and outdoor racing could use some basic marketing help. I always thought they were missing out on many more casual spectators because the...
I think indoor and outdoor racing could use some basic marketing help. I always thought they were missing out on many more casual spectators because the events have become too one dimensional. Especially the outdoors.

When I was a kid, here in Houston, there was a “Motorcycle Show” at the Astrohall on the same weekend as the SX was. We made a day of it. And it drew more fans than just motocross fans. Now the motorcycle show is in the fall and the SX is in the spring. And the attendance at both is poor. Why not have them on the same day again, with a carnival with rides and a pit area people can actually access (our pit pass situation is a joke here in Houston). i.e. make it more appealing to more people.

The outdoor MX’s could use a similar formula. Add a carnival atmosphere to the pit area , attract more casual fans, then more exhibitors will show up. Heck, end the MX event with a live band and you would have one heck of an event to go to. Thats what the Rodeo has been doing for years (1,000,000 spectators in 10 days/nights)

You get more people, the sponsors will follow, and so will the money.
Less can be more, much more.
Motodude
10/12/2009 6:18pm
Larry wrote:
Motodude is such a prick but one of our best National series ever was only 5 rounds.
The truth hurts sometimes.
...gee thanks larry
OldTiddler
10/12/2009 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:42am
Greater marketing costs greater money, money that promoters don't already spend because they know they won't get it back.

All these "grow the sport" people with their "we just need a better TV package/updated venues/etc,etc,etc" completely miss the point. The sport won't grow for a very good reason. MX is a niche sport whose heyday was in the 1970s. It enjoyed a brief resurgence with the economy the way it was where money was come by easier. Now that things are correcting and there are fewer blue-collars with available credit lines, bike and ticket sales will be again based more on the die-hards. Sorry, but there aren't enough of those around to warrant TV shows, pro-rider purses and all the rest for the number of events we have currently.

What's happening right now with people staying home in the summer and top-5 pro riders struggling to find "good" contracts isn't the result of some general bad economic situation, it's actually just a return to reality after years of the sport's budgets being artificially inflated by easy money. Go back and look at TV programs from the '90s even--factory teams were operating out of vans. People will need to realize that as much as they want it to be, this isn't NASCAR, and they will need to do more with less.
CamP
10/12/2009 6:27pm
Do away with permanent numbers, with the exception of triple digits, then base the top 100 numbers on total points earned in SX and MX. Top riders aren't going to want to run some random double digit number so that will be good incentive for them to participate in both series.

Post a reply to: How DC can save the 2010 US Nationals

The Latest