How Can We Make MX More Fun Again?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2021 9:18 AM

What things could you suggest that you feel would help raise participation?

|

2/16/2021 9:27 AM

More seat time.

Nobody wants to sit around all day for 16 minutes of track time.

|

2/16/2021 9:29 AM

Abolish cell phones and tablets for kids under 16. Have them go outside again and ride bmx and dirtbikes. Its too easy for kids to potato out in front of a screen.

|

2/16/2021 9:40 AM

I think it's quite fun already.

|

2/16/2021 9:42 AM

one word "Prices"

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

2/16/2021 9:46 AM

One word, two strokes, could think of 125 reasons

|

I HATE FOURSTROKES
www.racelife.se

2/16/2021 9:53 AM

Stop trying to make every track have the same sandy mega rough rutty dirt.. I'm not saying keep it smooth, I'm saying let the old steel city type dirt tracks live their lives. For example, Red bud was 10 times more fun in 2000 than it is today. I'm seeing this happen on a local level and it just beats any new people into the ground.. cost isn't crazy expensive compared to what it used to be unless you're doing big races.. 10k bikes don't help and the new people think they have to go that route to be competitive or have fun (but obviously, you can spend 3k or less and have a blast)..

I don't really know the answer, but those are personal observation based opinion..

|

2/16/2021 9:53 AM

Just be a good dude at the track. If you see someone struggling, give them some advice or a hand, not poke fun and laugh at them. If you see someone doing something stupid or dangerous call them out but again give them some advice or show them how to be smart and safe. Bullshit with the people who park next to you and just generally be a nice, and pleasant person at the track.

I'm not saying you need to be everyone's best friend at the track, but just be open and welcome to others around you to show people how much fun this sport can be.

|

2/16/2021 9:58 AM

bierbower105 wrote:

More seat time.

You guys 100% need to decrease the number of classes. IMO 50,65,sw85,bw85,supermini,250,450,vet is all you really need. Average 3x15min motos per class.

|

2/16/2021 10:01 AM

I'm probably in the minority but natural terrain tracks . No man made obstacles.

|

2/16/2021 10:03 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Participation in what? Racing? Practice days?

|

2/16/2021 10:09 AM

themrtoad wrote:

One word, two strokes, could think of 125 reasons

grin That's two words, but I agree.
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/16/2021 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2021 10:26 AM

Shorter race days. More seat time. Fewer classes. Longer motos. More natural terrain.
Need only look at the massive turnouts for the GNCC and those sorts of races to
get an idea of what works.

No club or AMA membership requirements. The hell if I'm going to drop that extra $$$ for a race I might do once a year.

And on the classes, there has to be a way to be able to race similar lap times together. I really don't see a problem with an older vet rider on a 450 racing with a younger person on a 125 if their lap times/skill levels are similar. What sort of racing is that called in other motorsports? Bracket?

I'd also have a massive "Sandbaggers go fuck yourselves" on the sign up sheet. hahahaha

Maybe a small pee-wee track for little kids and super beginners with a pure emphasis on just going out and having fun. Again with a "Little League parents go fuck yourselves" attitude.

And yes, 125 A, B, C. I think it would be so great to see a parent and son or daughter both racing the same day on the same bike. Keep it fun, keep the cost down.

|

2/16/2021 10:19 AM

At 55yr I want a Vet series. Only 4 classes +40/+50/+60 and Vintage (any bike mcf before 2000). Sign up at 10am. Practice at Noon. 8 20minute motos and we are going home by 3pm. I would race every weekend.

|

2/16/2021 11:02 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Less classes with longer motos, combine if you need to. There's no reason to have both a 25 + A-D and a 30+ A-D. You could completely absorb those classes and the 40 + A-D and just make a 35 + A-D and you just got rid of 4-8 motos out of your schedule.

A steeper poppy jump on the track for higher level riders wouldn't be terrible either. I live in WA and 95% of the tracks up here make me want to fall asleep they're so basic. I have a better time on my rough as nails turn track in a field than any of the tracks up here. Nothing really gets me excited to go ride because its all vet tracks everywhere we go. There are ways to make larger obstacles that are safe for everyone. Vet level tracks are definitely needed, but its hard to keep the 20-35 age group riding when its so boring all the time. And that's a key demographic that's spending within the industry.

|

2/16/2021 11:13 AM

Cost effective, reduce excessiveness - speeds, power, 120' doubles. The body can only absorb an X amount of impact. Just look at the migration from MX to offroad.

|

2/16/2021 11:16 AM

I have a local track that allows for unlimited practice time so the very first time I had timed practices was foreign to me. Race days... good lord. Got a winter series that I usually race at, there was 23 motos. Each moto was max 3-4 laps depending on the class lap times except pro class got a whole 5 laps. Over 400 entries every race.
My brothers first race was an unfortunate experience. He was the VERY LAST moto. So from practice to his 1st moto, there was 3 hours inbetween. He raced 4 laps. Then was like, there is absolutely no way he was going to wait another 2-3 hours. So we left, plus he was in the beginner class so to me, I dont think its wise having the most inexperienced and most sketch at times class at the very end with the most beat up track and sun in your eyes.

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

2/16/2021 12:05 PM

Meister wrote:

Stop trying to make every track have the same sandy mega rough rutty dirt.. I'm not saying keep it smooth, I'm saying let the ...more

I agree with you on the track prep. Years ago when I first started racing tracks were smoothed out and watered the day before racing. During the race day water was added to keep the dust down. Small ruts formed in some corners but for the most part you could change your lines and go where you wanted on the track.
These days tracks are ripped deep and practice is a sloppy mess. By the end of the day the ruts are up to your foot pegs and it feels like slot car racing.
This is intimidating, especially for new riders.

In Australia we don't seem to have the number of classes you guys on the US do, we generally have 2 age groups of each mini bike class then senior 250, 450 and vets is +35. It is still an all day event.

One thing though, race days have never been about getting maximum seat time for your time at the track, that's what practice days are for. Race days are about lining up and finding out who is the best. I like practice days, turning up, punching out 4 motos then going home but for me nothing beats racing, even if I have to sit around for a while

|

2/16/2021 12:05 PM

"fun"? Do you think people aren't doing it because its not fun?

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

2/16/2021 12:10 PM

I don’t think it’s a fun issue. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to ride dirt bikes. Just like we all don’t want to play stick and ball. To each there own and the sport is what it is. To us it’s the greatest thing in the world. To some it’s idiots on dirt

|

2/16/2021 12:24 PM

Location location location, where does a kid get to go ride for fun? Without needing dad, and a brand new bike. Some places in this country have riding out of their garage, thats where i want to live...sounds fun to me!

|

2/16/2021 12:29 PM

Meister wrote:

Stop trying to make every track have the same sandy mega rough rutty dirt.. I'm not saying keep it smooth, I'm saying let the ...more

Agree on the track prep.

A good example of this can be found in your great State of Ohio at MX Express. Back when it was called Zero Gravity, it was a fun little supercross style track with bowl turns. The current owners proudly state they "rip 'er deep" with heavy water and then let the C-class goons lay down horrible wall-to-wall ruts. It's laughable to stand back and watch 75% of the guys "ride" around that track. I can't believe they actually enjoy gooning around a slot car track. They must be too afraid to speak up and say anything.

I love a rough motocross track with berms, bumps, and naturally-occurring deep ruts. But for Peet's Sake I wish the track owners would STOP IT with the over-tilling. We don't need wall-to-wall ruts down every straightaway.

|

2/16/2021 12:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2021 1:28 PM

As a longtime promoter and someone who pays the bills, there's no easy answers here.
Many of you make good points. But they're not new ideas, and this problem has been around for 20 years.

Eliminating classes won't work. We've went too far down that road. But don't get me wrong, I race too and race days are too long.
Even off road has a lot of classes, but they can have way more on the course at a time. Plus those riders only race 1 class, so they don't have to worry about running back to back. When we run a race, we combine classes as much as possible and still end up with 18 to 20 moto's

You want less classes, tell MX Sports. Loretta's dictates classes to a certain extent. You have to run the classes riders want and many run 2 or 3 on race day.
Everybody wants to get rid of classes until it's theirs you eliminate.

Plus,and this is key, less classes=less entries. So less income for the track. You can't assume if we eliminate half the classes the same number of riders will show up.
And trust me, for most tracks the profit margins are really thin.

As far as 125's go, I think that will help some. But it's no magic bullet either. Kids can get into the sport now on a 2 stroke 65 or 85 that's very affordable. And there's many good used ones out there.

I wish more OEM's would make 125's for a different reason. I think they're a great stepping stone from an 85, instead of jumping right on a 250 4 stroke. Many aren't ready for the extra weight and power. And the 125 will help them hone their skills.

As a rider, I feel your pain. As a matter of fact, I was at a poorly run race last fall and I was one of the last moto's. My first moto was going to be at 4:30! I finally got so sick of waiting around to race I just packed up and headed home about 4. I was so pissed I didn't even ask for a refund.

|

2/16/2021 12:31 PM

bierbower105 wrote:

More seat time.

Yup.
Off road seems to be booming lately.

|

2/16/2021 1:14 PM

WoodsRacer wrote:

Just be a good dude at the track. If you see someone struggling, give them some advice or a hand, not poke fun and laugh at ...more

Amen. Some guys at the track take things way too serious. Unless you're a pro there's no need for it.

|

2/16/2021 1:31 PM

More tracks, so there are less riders on practice days. Its not fun to ride with allmost 100 riders from first timers to pro's on the same track at the the same time. Very dangerous to with no or few marshals during practice days.. And to ride more tracks is more fun.
Reducing the costs would make it more fun.
And if all my old racing buddy's would get back at it, it would be a blast.

|

2/16/2021 1:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2021 1:39 PM

I raced at Pala last weekend. It went smoothly. There were all the usual classes & the promoter, who's name will go unmentioned, made the day go quick-n-easy. My class, 'Fat Old Folks Over 50' raced 2 motos of 5 laps and I loved every damn lap. The track was EXCELLENT, the flagging was better than usual and the races seemed to go...as I said...really, really smooth-n-easy...well, other than Rider DiFrancesco scaring the living crap out of us with a stellar crash in his 1st moto!

Note: During The Zombie Apocolypse (I'm just tired of saying COVID...or Virus...or...whatever) I've seen MORE people out riding, at the track, out in the Dez, out in the Forest...everywhere I ride "off-road" or "track"? I'm seeing LOTS of peeps and plenty of new bikes.

I've helped quite a few friends find a new bike to "get back into" riding during this last year, too.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

2/16/2021 1:43 PM

For the program length I’ve often wondered why there are no “little bike days” and “big bike days” maybe not every weekend. But you’d think you could have a Saturday dedicated to the under 18 crowd. And a Sunday for the over 18 crowd. Or a morning program for kids, afternoon for Adults.

In what sport (Besides moto) do the adults play on the same day as the kids? I get the family atmosphere of moto. But we don’t have to watch 50 kids classes before we race every weekend. And same for the kids, they are bored out of their minds. Again not every weekend but it’d be nice to be able to go to the track and have a short program every once in a while.

I don’t ride moto for this reason. Off road only. More seat time and less time Sitting at the track. But I would do some moto if I could race a few motos and get back home at a reasonable time.

Log road in MI does a vintage series w/ modern support class. Has about 6 classes. 1-2 practices depending on turn out and 2 motos. Done by 11am. It’s the best moto format I’ve done in recent years. Open practice afterwards.

|

2/16/2021 1:53 PM

Meister wrote:

38special wrote:

Agree on the track prep.

A good example of this can be found in your great State of Ohio at MX Express. Back when it was ...more

I'm going to disagree with the three of you on track prep, but only because we don't really have any of that here in So Cal. Almost everything is flat and wide open. Our tracks get flattened between practice days, not ripped deep like you guys get. I miss big bumps, square edges and deep ruts.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

2/16/2021 1:59 PM

More participation at amateur races! Let’s get people racing again. So many guys at practice sessions every weekend then race day rolls around and they leave to go “practice” at another track. Just line up and have fun! Nothing replaces that feeling of being on the gate, revs up, heart beating out of your throat. Same guys that just want to post IG bangers and go home I guess.

|