Houston Vital folks...Recovering?

8/30/2017 7:48pm
Hope all the Houston folks are doing good, terrible terrible situation. Just hoping it ends soon and everyone is safe.
Flip109
8/30/2017 8:15pm
Ripped out a bunch of carpet and furniture from a few homes down the street yesterday that got swamped by lake conroe. Absolutely horrible. So glad my house is up higher than them. The houses had about 2-3 ft of water in them only. Can't imagine a house swamped to the roof. So much work to be done. No telling when insurance and FEMA will get caught up on all these houses. Such a nasty mess.
dkg
8/30/2017 8:51pm
Flip109 wrote:
Ripped out a bunch of carpet and furniture from a few homes down the street yesterday that got swamped by lake conroe. Absolutely horrible. So glad...
Ripped out a bunch of carpet and furniture from a few homes down the street yesterday that got swamped by lake conroe. Absolutely horrible. So glad my house is up higher than them. The houses had about 2-3 ft of water in them only. Can't imagine a house swamped to the roof. So much work to be done. No telling when insurance and FEMA will get caught up on all these houses. Such a nasty mess.
Wow, best of luck too all impacted by the flood. Got a question for you arising out of my ignorance. Heard on the news that something like 80% didn’t have flood insurance. I’d assume that this number reflects the idea that this flooding is something that was never even contemplated. Is that how unique this flooding truly was? Best wishes to all.
robkinuk
8/30/2017 9:04pm
Prayers for any Moto friends and the poor citizens of Houston area. That amount of rain is biblical!Shocked
Hope Donald gets his best men onto this? He promised to make America great again!

The Shop

cali11
8/30/2017 9:30pm
Zoom wrote:
We ended up with about 5 feet of water in our house. Evacuated on Saturday night. We have flood insurance and prepped for two days prior...
We ended up with about 5 feet of water in our house. Evacuated on Saturday night. We have flood insurance and prepped for two days prior to the arrival of all the rain. Moved a lot of stuff to storage and upstairs.

That's just too bad! Payers sent to everyone affected by this terrible storm/fload. Hope you get back into your home as soon as possible.
newmann
8/30/2017 10:27pm
Well, I took a boat to my underwater home today. Two plus feet in everything. My wife refused to go into the house and wouldn't let me either. My moms neighbor and fellow motohead took us there in his boat and helped me get some bikes out of the water. Gotta admit I almost couldn't breathe for a moment there while I tried to take it all in. Got the neighbors cat out of a tree and one of mine out of the water. Been feeding her stray ass for over ten years. Lounges by the pool and eats two meals a day yet refuses to let anyone touch her. Tried to shred my hands and arms...lol. Bleeding and rooting around in water with oil and gas floating around. Have to get me a few shots soon I guess. Helped evacuate out a friends daughter in law and two small kids and their two cats from their house with a foot of water in it so all smiles in the end. Good times in the end. Kodak moment.

newmann
8/30/2017 10:31pm
Best news is that the oldest sons house only got maybe two inches in it. Hoping it does not rise anymore so we can make quick work out of getting it dried out. They just got settled in and granddaughters first bday is this weekend. Party delayed...
newmann
8/30/2017 10:47pm
robkinuk wrote:
Prayers for any Moto friends and the poor citizens of Houston area. That amount of rain is biblical!:ohmy: Hope Donald gets his best men onto this...
Prayers for any Moto friends and the poor citizens of Houston area. That amount of rain is biblical!Shocked
Hope Donald gets his best men onto this? He promised to make America great again!
I do believe our governor here in Texas has a good grip on things and all of it declared a disaster. Should be very few gray areas for everyone to get some help. Chinooks, Blackhawks and Coast Guard helos overhead all day. So cool to see it working. And yes many areas flood insurance not even offered as it isn't in a flood plain. My house was built level with interstate 10 one block away back in 81. IH 10 has been widened and raised over the past 6 or so years and it is acting as a damn for our entire neighborhood. They added no additional drainage during the construction. It may not have made much of a difference with all this rain but I can bet it would have made some. I have had flood insurance since we bought back in 92 and been told more than on e I don't need it. It does have limits though and will come up short here. All good though, everyone is safe.
dkg
8/30/2017 11:06pm
Wow, so sorry to hear about your experiences. Seems like this was truly a freak event. Crazy to see this type flooding in places where it was never thought to be a possibility. Glad everyone is safe. Will keep you all in our prayers.
Bultaco
8/31/2017 2:15am
Unfathomable amounts of water. Glad to hear that most everyone is alive and well. I wish I could quit my job and head down there to help out with rebuilding.
8/31/2017 4:08am
These pictures are heartbreaking. Its going to take years to get this mess cleaned up.

Just think of all the property thats destroyed and all the people that don't have flood insurance...blows my mind.
ehr400
8/31/2017 6:10am
robkinuk wrote:
Prayers for any Moto friends and the poor citizens of Houston area. That amount of rain is biblical!:ohmy: Hope Donald gets his best men onto this...
newmann wrote:
I do believe our governor here in Texas has a good grip on things and all of it declared a disaster. Should be very few gray...
I do believe our governor here in Texas has a good grip on things and all of it declared a disaster. Should be very few gray areas for everyone to get some help. Chinooks, Blackhawks and Coast Guard helos overhead all day. So cool to see it working. And yes many areas flood insurance not even offered as it isn't in a flood plain. My house was built level with interstate 10 one block away back in 81. IH 10 has been widened and raised over the past 6 or so years and it is acting as a damn for our entire neighborhood. They added no additional drainage during the construction. It may not have made much of a difference with all this rain but I can bet it would have made some. I have had flood insurance since we bought back in 92 and been told more than on e I don't need it. It does have limits though and will come up short here. All good though, everyone is safe.
Hopefully your homeowners takes care of you guys down there, I know after Katrina they were refusing payments to people using the excuse that it water damaged their stuff and since they didnt have flood insurance they were fucked. Even though my ex inlaws werent eligible for flood inisurance since they werent in a flood zone. This was State Farm FYI.

I am sure here within the year they will jack all our rates up in the midwest which is typical after a hurricane like this to cover their losses as well, when they dont pay out like they should. SMH.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
8/31/2017 8:40am
My parents had flood insurance on their office, even though it was in El Paso, where it never rains much, and up on a hill. Then lo and behold, one year we had record levels of rain and the drain ditch behind their office overflowed and knocked down a stone wall into the neighboring property and caused some damage to theirs.

Insurance said the damage wasn't technically caused by flooding but rather by rapid water flow or some crap like that and refused to pay. You'll always have some situations like that, but I hope Houston folks have better luck getting help.

Newmann, really gald to see you smiling through all of this and keeping a good attitude about it. Let us know how the conversations go with your insurance when you try to explain to them the value of a 30 year old vintage bike Laughing
JRT812
8/31/2017 8:45am
there is a special place for insurance companies and lawyers
JAFO92
8/31/2017 10:08am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 6:42pm
Just talked to Joe and he is getting his family together and I think they will be staying at his business for the interim.

Stinkin' hurricanes. Angry
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
8/31/2017 11:22am
newmann wrote:
Well, I took a boat to my underwater home today. Two plus feet in everything. My wife refused to go into the house and wouldn't let...
Well, I took a boat to my underwater home today. Two plus feet in everything. My wife refused to go into the house and wouldn't let me either. My moms neighbor and fellow motohead took us there in his boat and helped me get some bikes out of the water. Gotta admit I almost couldn't breathe for a moment there while I tried to take it all in. Got the neighbors cat out of a tree and one of mine out of the water. Been feeding her stray ass for over ten years. Lounges by the pool and eats two meals a day yet refuses to let anyone touch her. Tried to shred my hands and arms...lol. Bleeding and rooting around in water with oil and gas floating around. Have to get me a few shots soon I guess. Helped evacuate out a friends daughter in law and two small kids and their two cats from their house with a foot of water in it so all smiles in the end. Good times in the end. Kodak moment.

Great picture! And even better attitude.
tydog
8/31/2017 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 1:21pm
Awesome attitude Newmann! Good on you for helping others.
I'll see you soon.
Its169
8/31/2017 1:44pm
Since my first post 4 days ago, things in my neighborhood turned real bad. I was dry but almost everyone else has water ranging from 4 inches to 6 ft in their homes. So devastating for so many. Me and my boys for the last 4 days have tried to help as best we could. Feeding, carrying, cold beer supplier to our neighbors. But today the hard work started. Ripping out everything and dumping it on the footpath. Harvey is nasty.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
8/31/2017 3:18pm
Texas is Texas, even in how they recover from a storm:

500 Mike
8/31/2017 5:01pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Texas is Texas, even in how they recover from a storm: [embed] Redneck Army saves National Guard. #thisisAmerica #HurricaneHarvey #HoustonStrong pic.twitter.com/9gZS493ZeQ— Michael Keyes (@michaelkeyes) August...

I love it !! There is always someone with enough Horsepower and traction to get the job done!

Texans always willing to help !!
ledger
8/31/2017 5:13pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Texas is Texas, even in how they recover from a storm: [embed] Redneck Army saves National Guard. #thisisAmerica #HurricaneHarvey #HoustonStrong pic.twitter.com/9gZS493ZeQ— Michael Keyes (@michaelkeyes) August...

Awesome vid, great to see people helping one another. Hard to imagine right now....but something good will come out of this devastating event in time.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
8/31/2017 5:17pm
tydog wrote:
Awesome attitude Newmann! Good on you for helping others.
I'll see you soon.
^^ Best wishes to Joe and others.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
8/31/2017 5:36pm
Like FTE said. I hope everyone stays as safe as possible.
Bultaco
8/31/2017 6:15pm
Hang in there y'all. My prayers and thoughts are with you and hoping you turn corner soon on bailing out from Harvey.
Since73
9/4/2017 10:37am
What's the situation right now??
In very general terms, the water has receded enough in/around Houston to allow most to begin the very long task of rebuilding their flooded homes. That being said, many don't have much of a home to come back to, and those that lost everything are still trying to figure out "what's next?".

The Beaumont, TX and surrounding area are fairing much worse; since the storm moved from Houston and sat over Beaumont for an extended period. A large number of my friends there have been displaced to shelters and relatives' homes in Louisiana; and they STILL haven't been able to reach their own homes which are still under water and inaccessible.
Bultaco
9/6/2017 5:10am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 5:12am
We hear the flood waters are mostly receding. Just wanted to check in and see how y'all are doing. Sounds like it may be a while before folks are back in their homes. Are people able to go to work yet? Is the damage localized to parts or did it shut down the entire coast?

Mostly hope everyone is getting back home, back to work, and back to what ever normal is.

Edit: just read Since73's post that answers these questions.

Post a reply to: Houston Vital folks...Recovering?

The Latest