Houston SX and Lites....your picks today

Racer111
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:51pm
Who is everyone taking today?

Heard that Stewart is already blistering it!! He put in a 54 lap and did the triple's during the track walk! Tongue

I'm going with....

1) Stewart
2) RV
3) Reed

1) Wilson in the Lites but the rest of the field I am not so sure of. I am anxious to see how this race though. Hope we see some good things out of Malcolm!!!!
|
SL91
2/12/2011 7:31am
1. Stewart
2. Dungey
3. RV

Lites

1. Barcia
2. Wilson (he says he isn't 100%)
3. Bagget
Racer111
2/12/2011 7:40am
SL91 wrote:
1. Stewart
2. Dungey
3. RV

Lites

1. Barcia
2. Wilson (he says he isn't 100%)
3. Bagget
I like Barcia as well, just curious to see how he rides today. I hope he doesn't come out too excited and take himself out. The East is so stacked it isn't even funny. Usually the West is the stacked region, but the East has more potential winners this year. Well, in my opinion anyway.
R-acer
2/12/2011 7:42am
Stewart by 6 seconds

RV
RD
CR
TC

Wilson
Barcia
Bagget
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
2/12/2011 7:42am
stewart, rv, dungey, reed, brayton

barcia, wilson, wharton, durham... my sleeper is lemoine

The Shop

jleews6
2/12/2011 7:50am
motoxxx599 wrote:
stewart, rv, dungey, reed, brayton

barcia, wilson, wharton, durham... my sleeper is lemoine
I think alot of people are going to be suprised by Matt Lemoine
DL
2/12/2011 7:50am
Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

Baggett
Wilson
Barcia
Racer111
2/12/2011 7:54am
A lot of you guys are putting Dungey up there today. You all think he is going to run that well??

Dungey is a "safe" player. Never pushes the envelope or rides out of his comfort zone. It's smart for longevity, but I think to win a race in a stacked field you have to ride out of your comfort zone. I don't see Dungey pushing it. He won't take a chance on getting hurt and ruining his chances of defending his MX tiitle.
moto717
2/12/2011 7:54am
I think Dungey will regroup and have a really good race.

Proabably will be Reed, Stewey, RV and Dungey at the front, in some order, but who knows.........anyone who thinks any of the front runners will not have a bad race is dreaming - Dungey was the first last week, but GUANTEED James, RV and Reed will have a bad race. Will it be this weekend???

K Dub might have a little something for the home fans.............

Would like to think Deanno and Barcia will be the ones to beat, but then again like Racer111 said, theres so many guys that might pull off the win.

It'll be good!!
raddad
2/12/2011 8:24am
moto717 wrote:
I think Dungey will regroup and have a really good race. Proabably will be Reed, Stewey, RV and Dungey at the front, in some order, but...
I think Dungey will regroup and have a really good race.

Proabably will be Reed, Stewey, RV and Dungey at the front, in some order, but who knows.........anyone who thinks any of the front runners will not have a bad race is dreaming - Dungey was the first last week, but GUANTEED James, RV and Reed will have a bad race. Will it be this weekend???

K Dub might have a little something for the home fans.............

Would like to think Deanno and Barcia will be the ones to beat, but then again like Racer111 said, theres so many guys that might pull off the win.

It'll be good!!
I agree with that, RD has run strong all year if you throw out the DNF. The last two races he won his heats was fastest in two or three segments a few weeks ago and was fastest overall last week. This is not the sign of a guy who was already on a downward spiral as Weege says..He was on fire until the DNF so i look for another good race if he can get a somewhat decent start.

I also say that RV will be on fire and not happy to sit behind bubba for 20 laps. He simply did not get going as good as he normally does so far this year last weekend for some reason. Maybe he did not like the track or maybe he simply was not on it as he has been so far this season? Don't get me wrong, a 2nd place is a great finish! If the track is to his liking and he keeps it on two wheels i see him giving all comers a tough race.

Bubba had a good ride last weekend but lets remember that the fastest man that day was taken out and even Bubba in his post race interview made comments about RD and how he was on it and wondered what happened to him not even mentioning RV or Reed. I think Bubba has lots of respect for RD and the other challengers this year, more than some of you on this board thats for sure! He is always a threat indoors or out to win and no one should count him out.

Reed? He is still a big ? for me..He runs a bit off pace most of the time so far this year but he put in a hell of a good 2-3 laps at the end of the race a few weeks ago to catch RD for 2nd. Considering RD had run down and passed him earlier in the race! He can be as fast and hungry as anyone out there so don't count him out. If He starts in back of the fastest/ real top 3 JS, RV and RD, i do not see him moving past them especially RD who learned a thing or two about race management when he was passed in the last corner by Reedy!

My picks for SX? any one of those i mentioned in any order! Of course i have a buddy in the race so i would like to see him winSmile

The lites? To tough to call.. until the first race is run and we start to see where all these guys are i hate to say but once again i hope our MN boy Audette is in the mix. Its been fun to see these kids that i watched grow up in MN get factory rides and actually be in there for wins or championships.

Lites picks? Wilson Bagget and Audette But don't ask me to bet on itSmile
BigDaddyG
2/12/2011 8:36am
RV
CR
KW

DeanO
Malcolm Stewart (going out on a limb)
Ryan Sipes
Weeks381fan
2/12/2011 8:36am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2011 8:37am
I think a lot of people are forgetting how fast Sipes is in the 250 class. I think he is a podium guy. He was top 6-7 a lot last year outdoors on the 450 and had some nice podium finished indoors on the 250. I think Barcia or Wilson wins, that's a no brainer.

I hope RV comes back on fire and takes it to JS. I look for Reed or Canard in third and Dungey maybe in the top 5
Racer111
2/12/2011 8:41am
raddad wrote:
I agree with that, RD has run strong all year if you throw out the DNF. The last two races he won his heats was fastest...
I agree with that, RD has run strong all year if you throw out the DNF. The last two races he won his heats was fastest in two or three segments a few weeks ago and was fastest overall last week. This is not the sign of a guy who was already on a downward spiral as Weege says..He was on fire until the DNF so i look for another good race if he can get a somewhat decent start.

I also say that RV will be on fire and not happy to sit behind bubba for 20 laps. He simply did not get going as good as he normally does so far this year last weekend for some reason. Maybe he did not like the track or maybe he simply was not on it as he has been so far this season? Don't get me wrong, a 2nd place is a great finish! If the track is to his liking and he keeps it on two wheels i see him giving all comers a tough race.

Bubba had a good ride last weekend but lets remember that the fastest man that day was taken out and even Bubba in his post race interview made comments about RD and how he was on it and wondered what happened to him not even mentioning RV or Reed. I think Bubba has lots of respect for RD and the other challengers this year, more than some of you on this board thats for sure! He is always a threat indoors or out to win and no one should count him out.

Reed? He is still a big ? for me..He runs a bit off pace most of the time so far this year but he put in a hell of a good 2-3 laps at the end of the race a few weeks ago to catch RD for 2nd. Considering RD had run down and passed him earlier in the race! He can be as fast and hungry as anyone out there so don't count him out. If He starts in back of the fastest/ real top 3 JS, RV and RD, i do not see him moving past them especially RD who learned a thing or two about race management when he was passed in the last corner by Reedy!

My picks for SX? any one of those i mentioned in any order! Of course i have a buddy in the race so i would like to see him winSmile

The lites? To tough to call.. until the first race is run and we start to see where all these guys are i hate to say but once again i hope our MN boy Audette is in the mix. Its been fun to see these kids that i watched grow up in MN get factory rides and actually be in there for wins or championships.

Lites picks? Wilson Bagget and Audette But don't ask me to bet on itSmile
Nice read, but the 2 things I disagree with are the Dungey and Reed segments.

1) Dungey was not the fastest guy last week by a long shot. Not getting where you thought he or anyone was going to run Stewarts pace last weekend. You're way off on that one. RD had plenty laps to show something before he DNF'd, but he didn't exactly set anything on fire up to the chain incident.

2) Reed has proven plenty this year as far as I am concerned. He has been the typical consistent Reed we usually see. He is sitting 3rd in points in a completely stacked field of riders. He has been smart and running up front all year. Not sure what you have been watching.......
raddad
2/12/2011 8:53am
I am talking about RD's qualifying time which i believe was the fastest of the day including the race times. In the race he was not able to run his normal pace behind the 800 roadblock and he never did get a clear track before his chain came off but based on his earlier times he was plenty fast to run at the front had he gotten a good start. Remember he has run at the front in all the races so far this year so its not out of the ordinary to see him racing JS, RV or Reed. But its all just speculation of course as to where he may have finished just as its speculation to say that JS would have had the fastest time if he had wanted to show up for second timed practice..

I watch pretty closely and re watch each race several times (I'm retired so i have the timeSmile I like to look for little things that make a rider fast or slower in certain races or trends that i see being built. Its all in fun and i have no stake in any of this but i do pay very close attention and try not to put down any riders to show my choice of riders are better.
mx73
2/12/2011 9:03am
Going with

SX
RV
Stewart
Reed
Canard
Dungey

SXLites
BMays....jk
Barcia
Wilson
Malcom
Lemoine
Baggett
mxrider225
Fantasy
2876th
2/12/2011 9:04am
1) 7
2) 1
3) 2
4) 22
5) 41
6) 194 Wink

1) 17
2) 15
3) 57
4) 139
5) 21
Racer111
2/12/2011 9:06am
raddad wrote:
I am talking about RD's qualifying time which i believe was the fastest of the day including the race times. In the race he was not...
I am talking about RD's qualifying time which i believe was the fastest of the day including the race times. In the race he was not able to run his normal pace behind the 800 roadblock and he never did get a clear track before his chain came off but based on his earlier times he was plenty fast to run at the front had he gotten a good start. Remember he has run at the front in all the races so far this year so its not out of the ordinary to see him racing JS, RV or Reed. But its all just speculation of course as to where he may have finished just as its speculation to say that JS would have had the fastest time if he had wanted to show up for second timed practice..

I watch pretty closely and re watch each race several times (I'm retired so i have the timeSmile I like to look for little things that make a rider fast or slower in certain races or trends that i see being built. Its all in fun and i have no stake in any of this but i do pay very close attention and try not to put down any riders to show my choice of riders are better.
Fair enough I suppose. As far as I know, JS7 had the fastest lap of the day. However, I really only put stock in Main lap times. Lap times on freshly prep'd tracks do not mean anything. The mains after the track is broke in and rutted up is where it counts.

And I don't care who you are, you can't tell me that JS7 would have only moved up 2 positions in 7 or 8 laps which is all RD had managed to do.

Tonights track doesn't look very technical, so I am sure we will have another sprint main with the start being the only viable place to pass. lol.

If these tracks get any smaller, no one will have to train in the off-season. I thought tracks were supposed to progress over time. The best tracks in SX were from about 95-01 and have gone downhill ever since!!
Phillips467
2/12/2011 9:21am
1. Stewart
2. Villopoto
3. Reed
4. Dungey
5. Canard
6. Brayton
7. Metcalfe
8. Short

1. Barcia
2. Wilson
3. Baggett
4. Sipes
5. Wharton
6. Lemoine
7. Durham
8. Stewart
raddad
2/12/2011 9:23am
raddad wrote:
I am talking about RD's qualifying time which i believe was the fastest of the day including the race times. In the race he was not...

Racer111 wrote:
Fair enough I suppose. As far as I know, JS7 had the fastest lap of the day. However, I really only put stock in Main lap...
Fair enough I suppose. As far as I know, JS7 had the fastest lap of the day. However, I really only put stock in Main lap times. Lap times on freshly prep'd tracks do not mean anything. The mains after the track is broke in and rutted up is where it counts.

And I don't care who you are, you can't tell me that JS7 would have only moved up 2 positions in 7 or 8 laps which is all RD had managed to do.

Tonights track doesn't look very technical, so I am sure we will have another sprint main with the start being the only viable place to pass. lol.

If these tracks get any smaller, no one will have to train in the off-season. I thought tracks were supposed to progress over time. The best tracks in SX were from about 95-01 and have gone downhill ever since!!
RD was 10th after the first lap and 6th when he finally had a bit a clearer track in front of him then the chain deal..Also if you remember, Chiz was the next man on the track in 5th and he had trouble that lap and fell back about 3 places so that would have been an automatic 5th with Brayton about 6 seconds ahead in 4th which he may or may not have been able to hold with a charging Dungey coming, who knows? I am not sure how JS would have done in the exact same situation with slower riders going left and right racing each other slowly but i know RD was going all over the place trying to get around that bunch ahead of him and in 7 1/2 laps did it with 12 laps left to move up more.

I agree that the track looks small and tight again but that works in favor of the guy that get the start so he's happy whoever that may beWink But for the fans its a bummer if that is the case, it was fun to see the top three guys go back and forth,passing all the time for at least 12 laps three weeks ago but since then its been a few yawners as far as fights for the lead go. I wonder how they decide to build these things??
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
2/12/2011 10:11am
Stewart
Reed
Villopoto
Dungey
Windham

Wilson
Barcia
Stewart
Lemoine
Baggett
Vazscep
2/12/2011 10:15am
I think a lot of people are forgetting how fast Sipes is in the 250 class. I think he is a podium guy. He was top...
I think a lot of people are forgetting how fast Sipes is in the 250 class. I think he is a podium guy. He was top 6-7 a lot last year outdoors on the 450 and had some nice podium finished indoors on the 250. I think Barcia or Wilson wins, that's a no brainer.

I hope RV comes back on fire and takes it to JS. I look for Reed or Canard in third and Dungey maybe in the top 5
Now Dungey is only "maybe in the top 5"? Do you seriously dislike Dungey so much that you are willing to make yourself look dumb with statements like that? Out of five races, Dungey has been on the podium three times, and you still are not willing to give him credit.
Racer111
2/12/2011 10:18am
raddad wrote:
RD was 10th after the first lap and 6th when he finally had a bit a clearer track in front of him then the chain deal..Also...
RD was 10th after the first lap and 6th when he finally had a bit a clearer track in front of him then the chain deal..Also if you remember, Chiz was the next man on the track in 5th and he had trouble that lap and fell back about 3 places so that would have been an automatic 5th with Brayton about 6 seconds ahead in 4th which he may or may not have been able to hold with a charging Dungey coming, who knows? I am not sure how JS would have done in the exact same situation with slower riders going left and right racing each other slowly but i know RD was going all over the place trying to get around that bunch ahead of him and in 7 1/2 laps did it with 12 laps left to move up more.

I agree that the track looks small and tight again but that works in favor of the guy that get the start so he's happy whoever that may beWink But for the fans its a bummer if that is the case, it was fun to see the top three guys go back and forth,passing all the time for at least 12 laps three weeks ago but since then its been a few yawners as far as fights for the lead go. I wonder how they decide to build these things??
Raddad, I'm not sure exactly who builds the track design or who has the last say so, but the last 9 years have slowly gotten worse. Toooo easy for the top guys. The last really good year was 2001 when RC finally beat MC! There were some really nice tracks that year. Every once in a while we get a good one, but not that often.

They need to start building 2 line rhythm sections again. Ones that are 3-3-2 on the outside line and 2-3-3 on the inside line. The tracks are really one lined and a lot of it has to do with the rhythm sections and the sections coming out of the whoops that also only allow for one fast line.
Vazscep
2/12/2011 10:23am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2011 10:25am
Racer111 wrote:
Nice read, but the 2 things I disagree with are the Dungey and Reed segments. 1) Dungey was not the fastest guy last week by a...
Nice read, but the 2 things I disagree with are the Dungey and Reed segments.

1) Dungey was not the fastest guy last week by a long shot. Not getting where you thought he or anyone was going to run Stewarts pace last weekend. You're way off on that one. RD had plenty laps to show something before he DNF'd, but he didn't exactly set anything on fire up to the chain incident.

2) Reed has proven plenty this year as far as I am concerned. He has been the typical consistent Reed we usually see. He is sitting 3rd in points in a completely stacked field of riders. He has been smart and running up front all year. Not sure what you have been watching.......
1. Dungey had the fastest practice time last week. Dungey therefore, ran Stewart's pace. Did you ever think that maybe something was wrong with Dungey's bike early in the main and that's why there was such a big difference in his practice lap times and his main event lap times? Several people noted that he was off the pace in the main and it seemed like something was going on. Obviously there was something going on since he did not pass guys that he normally makes quick work of.

2. Reed has proved plenty this year ut Dungey hasn't? Had it not been for Dungey's DNF, he would still be ahead of Reed in points. For the majority of the races this year, Reed has finished behind Dungey. Out of five races, Reed has finished behind Dungey in three of them.

Amazing the Stewpoto fans refuse to give Dungey credit.

Anyway, it is to be expected. Here are my picks:

450:

1. Dungey

2. Stewart

3. Villopoto

250:

1. Barcia

2. Bagget

3. Wilson

9. Stewart
Racer111
2/12/2011 10:30am
I think a lot of people are forgetting how fast Sipes is in the 250 class. I think he is a podium guy. He was top...

Vazscep wrote:
Now Dungey is only "maybe in the top 5"? Do you seriously dislike Dungey so much that you are willing to make yourself look dumb with...
Now Dungey is only "maybe in the top 5"? Do you seriously dislike Dungey so much that you are willing to make yourself look dumb with statements like that? Out of five races, Dungey has been on the podium three times, and you still are not willing to give him credit.
I'd say #4 or #5.....Other than A1 RD has not been on the same grid as RV and JS. He is off their pace no matter how much that hurts people to hear and see it. I think Reed and TC are also going to be a challenge for RD every week and harder for Dungey to beat as the season goes on.

Again, Dungey looked great last year while he was racing. However, as it has been pointed out a million times......JS7 and Reed were not there all year. In the races prior to RV getting hurt he was beating Dungey. RV had one bad race that put him behind Dungey in points. However, RV had 7 wins in 12 races and RD had 6 in 16 races.

So, Dungey is right where I expected him to be which is 4th or 5th. It's time everyone just started facing facts! This season was predicted ALL las year once everyone was back. Shouldn't really be a surprise...
Vazscep
2/12/2011 10:44am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2011 10:47am

Vazscep wrote:
Now Dungey is only "maybe in the top 5"? Do you seriously dislike Dungey so much that you are willing to make yourself look dumb with...
Racer111 wrote:
I'd say #4 or #5.....Other than A1 RD has not been on the same grid as RV and JS. He is off their pace no matter...
I'd say #4 or #5.....Other than A1 RD has not been on the same grid as RV and JS. He is off their pace no matter how much that hurts people to hear and see it. I think Reed and TC are also going to be a challenge for RD every week and harder for Dungey to beat as the season goes on.

Again, Dungey looked great last year while he was racing. However, as it has been pointed out a million times......JS7 and Reed were not there all year. In the races prior to RV getting hurt he was beating Dungey. RV had one bad race that put him behind Dungey in points. However, RV had 7 wins in 12 races and RD had 6 in 16 races.

So, Dungey is right where I expected him to be which is 4th or 5th. It's time everyone just started facing facts! This season was predicted ALL las year once everyone was back. Shouldn't really be a surprise...
The only problem with your theory here is that it forgets to mention that had Dungey not had a DNF he would be right there in third and not far off in points from first. The laptimes tell a different picture than what you are trying to paint. The laptimes say that Dungey has been very close to Stewart and Villopoto in track times. Last week he was faster than Stewart and Villopoto in practice and his qualifying time in the second heat was fractions off of Villopoto's which is excellent considering that Dungey was on the track after Stewart and Villopoto were. Hardly the picture Stewpoto fans paint, but again, that's what we have come to expect.

It's pretty funny when Dungey is a solid third in points, has a DNF which knocks him to fifth in points and then the Stewpoto fans go, "See we told you Dungey was going to be a 4-5 place guy..."
mccread
2/12/2011 10:47am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2011 11:19am
RV
Stewart
Dungey

Baggett
Barcia
Wilson (says he isnt up to full speed yet)

Larsen and Anderson will be fast and dark horses for the podium I think.
Ddavis
2/12/2011 10:55am
I think Blake Baggett is going to holeshot and make everyone his *****. Smile Last year he won Dallas and got 2nd at Houston, Texas is his good luck charm I think.
Racer111
2/12/2011 11:23am
Vazscep wrote:
The only problem with your theory here is that it forgets to mention that had Dungey not had a DNF he would be right there in...
The only problem with your theory here is that it forgets to mention that had Dungey not had a DNF he would be right there in third and not far off in points from first. The laptimes tell a different picture than what you are trying to paint. The laptimes say that Dungey has been very close to Stewart and Villopoto in track times. Last week he was faster than Stewart and Villopoto in practice and his qualifying time in the second heat was fractions off of Villopoto's which is excellent considering that Dungey was on the track after Stewart and Villopoto were. Hardly the picture Stewpoto fans paint, but again, that's what we have come to expect.

It's pretty funny when Dungey is a solid third in points, has a DNF which knocks him to fifth in points and then the Stewpoto fans go, "See we told you Dungey was going to be a 4-5 place guy..."
Vez, I'm not a Poto fan believe it or not. Just calling it how I see it. As for RD being a 4th or 5th guy, yes...I think Reed OR TC will be handling RD as has happened twice already this year.

It seems the Dungey fans are the ones building excuses every week. RD had a mechanical last week, BUT what about the week JS7 passed RD, crashed, passed RD again and put distance on him. If he is JUST as fast, how did that happen???

You need to realize that practice and heat races mean nothing more than gate pics. The main event is where it all counts.

How many does Ryan have this year?? Aside from the chain last week, what REAL excuse is there other than he just didn't have it??? There is no other excuse. He just got beat! End of story...

How many times have we seen RC, MC, JS7, or even CR go 6 races in without a win?? Think about it.

And this doesn't mean that I (or anyone else that says Dungey isn't the 2nd coming) hate him or are disrespecting Ryan. It just means we don't think Ryan is at JS7's or RV's pace. Nothing more and nothing less.....

Post a reply to: Houston SX and Lites....your picks today

The Latest