Houston SX 2020???

Zoom
Most of you know that Houston was not part of the 2020 SX series.

Interesting answer from Feld Senior Director Dave Prater in an interview with Weege at RacerX...

Weege: Technically an NFL team—and this is super simplifying it—they only play half of their games at home. So, if a stadium was empty on a road weekend, can you get in and out so quickly that an NFL team almost wouldn’t notice?

Prater: It would depend. Doing that multiple weeks, I don’t know if that’s feasible. But the other part is, it depends the surface. Houston where you got in on a concrete floor, you could do it much quicker than when you have to go in and protect the artificial turf. So, there’s so many variables in this thing. When you start thinking about it all at once, it can get overwhelming. Like I said, we’re trying to wait for those different things to drop and solidify, one being the NFL schedule, but as those things drop, we can start narrowing it down.
|
mb60
3/31/2020 6:22am
The astradome still sits near by right ? St Louis has nothing going on anymore as well
dre3101
Fantasy
1834th
3/31/2020 7:20am
mb60 wrote:
The astradome still sits near by right ? St Louis has nothing going on anymore as well
It's an interesting idea, as a native Houstonian... While Astrodome is next door to NRG, there is no way that you could run an event in the facility. While the floor is "suitable," the restrooms, concessions, etc are nowhere near the level of expectation for the event.

IF you ran it in Houston, there are other facilities (BBVA, MinuteMaid) that could support the event that require less "make ready" time than the Dome. You would still have the same challenges of running events within days of the primary occupant sport in town.
nickm
3/31/2020 7:41am
He's on a new episode of realltalk 447 and he talks extensively about stadium booking challenges. Its worth listening to.

The Shop

stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
3/31/2020 8:44am
mb60 wrote:
St. Louis still has events happened regardless if there is a football team or not.

He mentioned that it's booked in September already for an RV show.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
3/31/2020 8:51am
Serious question:

Can we run the series at 6 outdoor SX tracks in Cali? No crowd, no travel for teams, televise it and go racing. It’s a last case scenario if stadiums are not available.

Screw the crowd - just televise outdoor races and move on.
spimx
3/31/2020 9:42am
dre3101 wrote:
It's an interesting idea, as a native Houstonian... While Astrodome is next door to NRG, there is no way that you could run an event in...
It's an interesting idea, as a native Houstonian... While Astrodome is next door to NRG, there is no way that you could run an event in the facility. While the floor is "suitable," the restrooms, concessions, etc are nowhere near the level of expectation for the event.

IF you ran it in Houston, there are other facilities (BBVA, MinuteMaid) that could support the event that require less "make ready" time than the Dome. You would still have the same challenges of running events within days of the primary occupant sport in town.
I saw McGrath several times at the Astrodome when I was a kid and it was way bigger than the NRG event ever was.
aeffertz
3/31/2020 6:01pm
KMC440 wrote:
Lambeau ..... hmmmmm Whistling
Ha! That would be something... I know you're joking about Lambeau but this actually is a really unique opportunity to take SX to different parts of the US with open roof stadiums.Then again, if it's in October/November maybe not.
3/31/2020 6:20pm
dre3101 wrote:
It's an interesting idea, as a native Houstonian... While Astrodome is next door to NRG, there is no way that you could run an event in...

spimx wrote:
I saw McGrath several times at the Astrodome when I was a kid and it was way bigger than the NRG event ever was.
Everything is bigger when you're a kid.

Post a reply to: Houston SX 2020???

The Latest