Houston SX

Olson
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2015 2:05pm
I'm planning on going to the Houston SX. Have never attended an SX event earlier. Just read the post about St Louis SX. Do the races usually gets sold out? Heard about a lot of empty seats in the past. This got me thinking. Do I need to act fast on this? I will be nonreving to and from the race so there's a chance I won't make it, so my plan all along has been to get tickets at the race. But it would suck to turn up and don't get to see the race. I'm willing to take the chance and get tickets now if there's a possibility it gets sold out. Any other things I need to look into. Hotels? Do they get sold out too during similar events? Thinking there's always an airline discoint hotel with available rooms. My plan is to ger there on Thursday and get back home on Monday. The SAS IAH flight from Stavanger is my plan if anyone on here is also a non rev.
|
newmann
1/16/2015 6:27am
Houston seldom has attendance above 45,000. There will be tickets.
Olson
1/16/2015 6:30am
newmann wrote:
Houston seldom has attendance above 45,000. There will be tickets.
Thank you Newmann. That's what I thought.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
1/16/2015 8:25am
Been there the past couple years, you'll have multiple options day of the race, from ticket window to scalpers/people with tickets in parking lot, Craigslist, etc, so don't sweat it! I'm probably going to continue eating crow and go again this year, despite my hatred of what happened to JS7, because the racing is awesome so far.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
1/16/2015 8:28am
Newmann, anyone in Houston holding a ride or race the next day? I may bring a big group of old guys looking to ride the day of or next day. I heard Rio may do something,

The Shop

newmann
1/16/2015 8:30am
Rio has done a ride day for the past several years. DeCoster has been a guest of the event many times. Might be on an RSVP type deal so check in with them.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
1/16/2015 8:45am
Olson wrote:
I'm planning on going to the Houston SX. Have never attended an SX event earlier. Just read the post about St Louis SX. Do the races...
I'm planning on going to the Houston SX. Have never attended an SX event earlier. Just read the post about St Louis SX. Do the races usually gets sold out? Heard about a lot of empty seats in the past. This got me thinking. Do I need to act fast on this? I will be nonreving to and from the race so there's a chance I won't make it, so my plan all along has been to get tickets at the race. But it would suck to turn up and don't get to see the race. I'm willing to take the chance and get tickets now if there's a possibility it gets sold out. Any other things I need to look into. Hotels? Do they get sold out too during similar events? Thinking there's always an airline discoint hotel with available rooms. My plan is to ger there on Thursday and get back home on Monday. The SAS IAH flight from Stavanger is my plan if anyone on here is also a non rev.
I would recommend buying tickets sooner than later. Yes there will be plenty of tickets available the day of race but the best seats most certainly won't be. I live in Dallas and always go to our SX but also go to the Houston SX every few years too. Last time I went 2 years ago I ended up waiting until the week before the race and could only get 2 seats for my wife and I up near the nosebleeds since I won't sit on the ends at a Supercross. You have to be a little more picky about seat selection in a football stadium as opposed to a baseball one.

The best sections to pick in Houston are the 300 level. If you sit on the 100 level, get on a row further back to be able to see more of the track better. The 500 level seats up by the nosebleed (600 level) seats aren't too bad because even though you're pretty high up and its hard to see the details of the riders, you do get more of a birds eye view of the track and can see everything that is going on. The nice thing about buying your seats for NRG Stadium through ticketmaster is that you actually get to choose your seats. ATT Stadium in Dallas doesn't have that feature so you just get stuck with whatever the automated ticketmaster program thinks are the best available seats.
Olson
1/16/2015 1:42pm
Olson wrote:
I'm planning on going to the Houston SX. Have never attended an SX event earlier. Just read the post about St Louis SX. Do the races...
731chopper wrote:
I would recommend buying tickets sooner than later. Yes there will be plenty of tickets available the day of race but the best seats most certainly...
I would recommend buying tickets sooner than later. Yes there will be plenty of tickets available the day of race but the best seats most certainly won't be. I live in Dallas and always go to our SX but also go to the Houston SX every few years too. Last time I went 2 years ago I ended up waiting until the week before the race and could only get 2 seats for my wife and I up near the nosebleeds since I won't sit on the ends at a Supercross. You have to be a little more picky about seat selection in a football stadium as opposed to a baseball one.

The best sections to pick in Houston are the 300 level. If you sit on the 100 level, get on a row further back to be able to see more of the track better. The 500 level seats up by the nosebleed (600 level) seats aren't too bad because even though you're pretty high up and its hard to see the details of the riders, you do get more of a birds eye view of the track and can see everything that is going on. The nice thing about buying your seats for NRG Stadium through ticketmaster is that you actually get to choose your seats. ATT Stadium in Dallas doesn't have that feature so you just get stuck with whatever the automated ticketmaster program thinks are the best available seats.
Thanks for your input and thanks to Graybeard too. Do think I will go for ticket at the stadium anyway. Not that much for a ticket but it would suck if our noreving plans fell through. Is it correct that the riders pit out in the parking lot and it's open for everyone or will you need to purchase a pit-pass? If so, is it a certain amount of passes? Possible to get your hands on one at the stadium too?

How about hotels? Most sold out or plenty to choose from? First trip to Houston. Any other things you local guys recommend? Always wanted a real Texas BBQ.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
1/16/2015 2:14pm
Olson wrote:
731chopper wrote:
I would recommend buying tickets sooner than later. Yes there will be plenty of tickets available the day of race but the best seats most certainly...

Olson wrote:
Thanks for your input and thanks to Graybeard too. Do think I will go for ticket at the stadium anyway. Not that much for a ticket...
Thanks for your input and thanks to Graybeard too. Do think I will go for ticket at the stadium anyway. Not that much for a ticket but it would suck if our noreving plans fell through. Is it correct that the riders pit out in the parking lot and it's open for everyone or will you need to purchase a pit-pass? If so, is it a certain amount of passes? Possible to get your hands on one at the stadium too?

How about hotels? Most sold out or plenty to choose from? First trip to Houston. Any other things you local guys recommend? Always wanted a real Texas BBQ.
The pro pits are setup in a parking lot at the stadium and they are opened up during the afternoon practice sessions to anyone with a pit pass. The way you get a pass is just by simply brining a monster energy can (empty) for each person who wants to go in the pits. You use to have to buy passes but this way Monster sponsors it and this is how you "pay". So just stop by a gas station on the way to the stadium and get however many monsters you need for the number of people you have going.

I travel to Houston on business a lot. It is a huge city and there tons of hotels but you do want to get your hotel reservations early because rates can get really high, especially if there is a convention in town. IAH (the airport you'd fly into) is on the north side of town but the stadium is just south of downtown. I don't know what your budget is but a nice area to stay in not far from the stadium is by the Houston Galleria Mall. The hotels can be expensive but hotels in houston are expensive in general. If you stay at a hotel near the airport it is going to be a good hour drive to get to the stadium.

As for Texas BBQ, I'd recommend Rudy's BBQ.
newmann
1/16/2015 2:35pm
Olson wrote:
731chopper wrote:

Olson wrote:
Thanks for your input and thanks to Graybeard too. Do think I will go for ticket at the stadium anyway. Not that much for a ticket...

Good BBQ around Houston, check out Beef and Bun. Holy hell at the three meat plate with sides and fries.....will post pic tomorrow after the gun show. Smile

Good Tex-Mex, Pappasito's near Reliant stadium. Get the Chipotle shrimp off the lunch menu as an appetizer then the crab cake stuffed shrimp/filet mignon fajitas dinner. To die for.

Pit Pass, just take an empty Monster can to the pits for entry.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/16/2015 2:43pm
I usually hit a Pappasito's somewhere during the weekend (usually Friday night). Good stuff.

We had some killer BBQ in Phoenix last weekend.

Houston is a HUGE stadium. I'd guess you're safe on seats.
k-bull98
1/16/2015 2:51pm
If you do end up getting tickets the same day of the event it may be worthwhile to check ticketmaster. Sometimes prices drop steeply an hour or so before an event starts.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
1/16/2015 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2015 3:40pm
Pappasitos is a great recommendation as tex-mex food is very, very good!

There is also a good motorcycle shop called Cycle Shack in Conroe TX about 45 minutes north of the airport. They've got a lot of gear, parts etc but also a ton of vintage bikes up on display.
Olson
1/16/2015 3:43pm
Thank you guys so much. Will definetly hit Pappasitos. Seems like a restaurant that will suit our taste. Can't wait. No longer for the SX event alone.
Olson
1/16/2015 4:21pm
731chopper wrote:
Pappasitos is a great recommendation as tex-mex food is very, very good! There is also a good motorcycle shop called Cycle Shack in Conroe TX about...
Pappasitos is a great recommendation as tex-mex food is very, very good!

There is also a good motorcycle shop called Cycle Shack in Conroe TX about 45 minutes north of the airport. They've got a lot of gear, parts etc but also a ton of vintage bikes up on display.
That sounds good. Always nice to hit some shops while in the states, everything is half off compared to here (even though the exchange rate has gone way up the last couple of weeks). Do you happen to know of any decent cycling stores in the area too?

Took a quick look around at some hotells. Found Hilton Houston Post Oak, supposed to be close to Galleria Mall that you mentioned earlier. I actually thought it was dirt cheap compared to what I've paid in other cities and countries.

newmann
1/16/2015 4:50pm
If you have time and like guns, stop in at Collectors Firearms. Heaven for a gun enthusiast.
Olson
1/16/2015 4:57pm
newmann wrote:
If you have time and like guns, stop in at Collectors Firearms. Heaven for a gun enthusiast.
Haha, newmann. I'm from liberal Sweden ffs. Don't you know we hate guns? Just kidding, grew up in a family where everyone is a wild life nut. Been around guns my entire childhood. Haven't fired anything larger than .22 since the army 10 years ago. But if I'm going to do it, it might as well be in Texas.
newmann
1/16/2015 6:23pm
newmann wrote:
Olson wrote:
Haha, newmann. I'm from liberal Sweden ffs. Don't you know we hate guns? Just kidding, grew up in a family where everyone is a wild life...
Haha, newmann. I'm from liberal Sweden ffs. Don't you know we hate guns? Just kidding, grew up in a family where everyone is a wild life nut. Been around guns my entire childhood. Haven't fired anything larger than .22 since the army 10 years ago. But if I'm going to do it, it might as well be in Texas.
Liberals are just closet gun lovers! Smile Collectors Firearms has such a wide selection from so many different eras though it really is pretty cool. Just another 80 or so miles away and we could go shoot some guns. Good times!
Olson
1/17/2015 4:04am
Your link didn't work. But I've been to Fogo De Chao, they have restaurants all over the world. Great place.

Yea, might as well shoot some guns while in Texas, not just look at them.
Ardfarkl
1/17/2015 5:46am
I can't wait!! Thinking about bringing the bikes this year.
Zoom
1/17/2015 6:58am
Newman is right about the Rio Bravo ride day the day after Houston SX. The owner of Rio and DeCoster are good friends and yes, DeCoster usually attend.

If you are looking for a race. 3 Palms, which is about 45 miles north of the NRG Stadium is having a "Day After Houston SX Race". Usually some of the regions fastest amateurs attend and a few pro privateers looking to make some extra cash.

Good recommendation about Cycle Shack North. Its about 5 minutes from 3 Palms and they are working on securing the Suzuki riders for an open house on Friday night before the race. Lots of door prizes and a fun hang out.
Olson
3/26/2015 6:20am
Still a bit early on this but the days are counting down fast now. Only two weeks to departure. Flights look good, booked a hotel at Post Oak Blvd. Should we get a cab or public transportation to NRG Stadium? Who else is going? If everything goes by the plan we will be there on thursday evening, probably just get some food and throw in the towel. We have about zero plans except for all the restaurants you've told us about. Probably hit Pappasito's on friday evening. Do we have to make a reservation?
YZ324
3/26/2015 6:42am
Olson wrote:
Still a bit early on this but the days are counting down fast now. Only two weeks to departure. Flights look good, booked a hotel at...
Still a bit early on this but the days are counting down fast now. Only two weeks to departure. Flights look good, booked a hotel at Post Oak Blvd. Should we get a cab or public transportation to NRG Stadium? Who else is going? If everything goes by the plan we will be there on thursday evening, probably just get some food and throw in the towel. We have about zero plans except for all the restaurants you've told us about. Probably hit Pappasito's on friday evening. Do we have to make a reservation?
No reservation needed there. Also as for as seating in the NRG stadium goes, the 100's sections fill up quick but the seats are good even up to the 300's or club sections. It's tough to sell that stadium out. In the Post Oak area there are lots of nice restaurants and watering holes to keep you busy along with the Galleria plus you're only minutes from the stadium.

3 Palms and Rio is where it's at for the Sunday after. 3 Palms will have a good show with the talent that will be there. Rio used to be invitation only for that fun day ride but I think that is when Tucker Rocky was sponsoring it. As far as I know the last couple of years that has not been the case and the event seems to grow each year. Have to admit it's pretty cool to sit down with "The Man" and visit about last nights SX event and how his team is doing. Very nice guy! Roger seems to enjoy hanging out there and will recall the old days when he raced there.
newmann
3/26/2015 6:52am
Olson wrote:
Still a bit early on this but the days are counting down fast now. Only two weeks to departure. Flights look good, booked a hotel at...
Pappasitos......mmmmmm.

It may be difficult but don't fill up on chips and salsa.

Chipotle shrimp off the lunch menu for an appetizer.

Crab cake stuffed shrimp for an appetizer too!Smile

The filet mignon fajitas are just damn good.

And Shiner Bock beer dammit, you're in Texas!
hvaughn88
3/26/2015 6:54am
Olson wrote:
newmann wrote:
Pappasitos......mmmmmm. It may be difficult but don't fill up on chips and salsa. Chipotle shrimp off the lunch menu for an appetizer. Crab cake stuffed shrimp...
Pappasitos......mmmmmm.

ahhh. Shiner. The bohemian black lager is my favorite beer on the planet. Not much of a summer beer though.
newmann
3/26/2015 6:55am
Olson wrote:
newmann wrote:
Pappasitos......mmmmmm. It may be difficult but don't fill up on chips and salsa. Chipotle shrimp off the lunch menu for an appetizer. Crab cake stuffed shrimp...
Pappasitos......mmmmmm.

hvaughn88 wrote:
ahhh. Shiner. The bohemian black lager is my favorite beer on the planet. Not much of a summer beer though.
Mine too. Can't find it at many restaurants though.

Flip109
3/26/2015 7:13am
Check with cycle shack in Houston. $55 club seats with pit passes. Not sure what they have left tho. Got ours a while back.
Olson
3/26/2015 7:18am
That sounds and looks amazing, the championship is over, Dungey will clinch it at Houston so I'm probably looking forward to the food and beverage more than the actual racing.
RPM68
3/26/2015 7:25am
Come hang out with us! We will have a suite sponsored by FLY Racing
Olson
3/26/2015 7:27am
RPM68 wrote:
Come hang out with us! We will have a suite sponsored by FLY Racing
Yea, sure. Sounds great!

Post a reply to: Houston SX

The Latest