Houston

Gixxxerboy
Edited Date/Time 1/3/2018 1:43pm
Looking forward to making the drive from New Orleans to Houston in a couple of weeks!!! The last year Supercross came to New Orleans was in 2009. With that being said, we always make the Houston show. In 2009 I had a buddy that knew people building the track in the Dome. We got to hang out all day and line the track with tuff blocks. Suzuki was actually having a media day by themselves. It was Reed and Izzi. We got to work as flaggers while they were filming them 2 practicing. All I can say was it was the best day of my life climbing up on my hands and knees and getting to stand on the top of the face of a triple with a flag in my hand. Most people have no clue of the difficulty of a supercross track. Pretty much every face looked like a wall!!! lol what was also amazing was watching Reed come out of a corner, not even on the gas, and roll the throttle on the face and clear a triple like it was nothing. Needless to say I'm super stoked about going to Houston!!!! It cant get here fast enough
|
Flip109
1/3/2018 8:35am
Haha yeah it’s all fun and games until you get down on the track and see how steep everything is. But yep can’t wait! Just moved to north part of Houston so it’s only bout an hour drive for me. Should be a blastCool
jbomx363
1/3/2018 10:27am
This media day! My only time as an official photographer for SX.

Kruse317
Fantasy
3337th
1/3/2018 11:15am
Wasn’t there a New Orleans supercross in 2012?

The Shop

MELTON139
Fantasy
3627th
1/3/2018 12:44pm
Kruse317 wrote:
Wasn’t there a New Orleans supercross in 2012?
There was, I was there
Gixxxerboy
1/3/2018 1:11pm
Yea they did. I totally forgot about 2012 lol. I went to that one too. It just wasnt stuck in my head like 09 i guess. I remember in the 250 main Durham was the only jumping this last section of a straight over the tuff block every time!! he made up a good bit of time just cheating a bit lol
WRH
1/3/2018 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2018 1:28pm
I'll be going to Houston too, from Mobile, Alabama. Any idea of a shop that will be selling tickets or where any of the shops where riders will be?
I flagged first turn in the mudfest of the Dallas Supercross in the 70's, Jimmy Wienert days.

Braaaphole
1/3/2018 1:43pm
WRH wrote:
I'll be going to Houston too, from Mobile, Alabama. Any idea of a shop that will be selling tickets or where any of the shops where...
I'll be going to Houston too, from Mobile, Alabama. Any idea of a shop that will be selling tickets or where any of the shops where riders will be?
I flagged first turn in the mudfest of the Dallas Supercross in the 70's, Jimmy Wienert days.

They will be at Wild West Motoplex in Katy on Friday. Supposedly Honda, Kawi, and Yamaha riders. I have seen anything on Suzuki, KTM, or Husky riders being anywhere.
Braaaphole
1/3/2018 1:53pm
Gixxxerboy wrote:
Looking forward to making the drive from New Orleans to Houston in a couple of weeks!!! The last year Supercross came to New Orleans was in...
Looking forward to making the drive from New Orleans to Houston in a couple of weeks!!! The last year Supercross came to New Orleans was in 2009. With that being said, we always make the Houston show. In 2009 I had a buddy that knew people building the track in the Dome. We got to hang out all day and line the track with tuff blocks. Suzuki was actually having a media day by themselves. It was Reed and Izzi. We got to work as flaggers while they were filming them 2 practicing. All I can say was it was the best day of my life climbing up on my hands and knees and getting to stand on the top of the face of a triple with a flag in my hand. Most people have no clue of the difficulty of a supercross track. Pretty much every face looked like a wall!!! lol what was also amazing was watching Reed come out of a corner, not even on the gas, and roll the throttle on the face and clear a triple like it was nothing. Needless to say I'm super stoked about going to Houston!!!! It cant get here fast enough
Thats awesome. I grew up around Baton Rouge. In 02, the shop I used to go to for parts hooked me up with Parts Unlimited and they got me track crew passes for NOLA. I got there early that morning and there was no track work left to be done so I spent the day roaming around the pits. NOLA was always cool because the pit area was too small to open to the public, so all the riders were out and talking rather than hiding in their rigs.
Fonseca was cruising around on that retro looking Honda scooter. I was messing with him and had him trying to wheelie it. I talked to MC for probably half an hour, he was really cool. When it came time for the main, I literally walked from the rig to the starting gate with MC and his mechanic. I was standing 5 feet behind him when the gate dropped.

After the race, I was back in the pits as things were being torn down. I was talking to RC and he was trying to be nice but you could tell he wasn't happy. It threw me off because he had just won. What I didn't realize at the time was his bike was being inspected by the AMA. I saw them stripping it down and people surrounding it. This was the night he was docked points because they found Honda was thinning the walls of the frame. He knew he was about to get busted and here I am in his face trying to talk to him haha.

That was a great day and the best SX experience I've ever had.

Post a reply to: Houston

The Latest