Hoosier vs new Dunlops

rob162
So how are these 2 tires comparing. I love my Hoosiers BUT the last 2 sets have not held up at all even for a consumer spec tire. The front is holding up for a Hoosier tire. The rear tires have been starting chunkin at the base of the knobs after 2 or 3 rides. Less than 5 hrs.also how are the stiffer carcass tires working out
|
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/3/2020 5:05am
Which Hoosier are you running? What type of dirt? We have seen a little cracking on the 20's in 6-7 hrs in loam conditions!
moto0852
1/3/2020 6:20am
The Hoosiers are better (performance-wise, weight-wise) but not durability wise. They're not designed to be durable. Do you want performance or durability? Pick your poison.
jleews6
1/3/2020 12:05pm
A local A class kid here was just telling me that he loves his Hoosiers and they work great but they dont last but like MOTO0852 said you have a choice.
ajk423
1/3/2020 4:20pm
Im on the do not last train as well. Ive tried 2 sets now, the fronts hold up well but the rear gets about 5 hours. I liked the performance and how light they are but Im not trying to be pro so id rather my tires last all year.

The Shop

1/3/2020 4:58pm
ajk423 wrote:
Im on the do not last train as well. Ive tried 2 sets now, the fronts hold up well but the rear gets about 5 hours...
Im on the do not last train as well. Ive tried 2 sets now, the fronts hold up well but the rear gets about 5 hours. I liked the performance and how light they are but Im not trying to be pro so id rather my tires last all year.
All year? Good luck on that with any decent tire unless you ride once a month
Hammer 663s
1/3/2020 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 5:57pm
ajk423 wrote:
Im on the do not last train as well. Ive tried 2 sets now, the fronts hold up well but the rear gets about 5 hours...
All year? Good luck on that with any decent tire unless you ride once a month
I put 25 hours on my Dunlops since new in May 19. Mostly clay based stuff but some volcanic sand (Riverdale and Woodland) which kills tires fast. I last rode a week ago,.I flipped the rear at about 14 hours. There's still plenty left for a practice queen like me. I'll get another 5 or so out of them in the Spring before I get new ones. So call it 30 hours total. That's most of a year for me in the PNW.

I'll stick with the Dunlops. I can't afford to change tires every 10 hours. Granted I am old and slow so I'm not the hardest on tires.

Hammer
rob162
1/3/2020 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 9:59pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Which Hoosier are you running? What type of dirt? We have seen a little cracking on the 20's in 6-7 hrs in loam conditions!
I'm running the 25 original carcass. Not the stiffer sidewalls they have now. This last set started cracking on the second ride. So maybe a 1.5 HR or less. The set before that around 3.-3.5 hour mark. My first two rears held up at the same tracks for about 8 hrs before cracking at the base of the knobbies.

I know these are awesome spec tires. I Love the performance of them they work great but at this price + shipping it's gotta last just a little longer i need 6-7 hrs at least. I expect to go through 3-4 rear tires a year, I'm not fast or hard on tires but 9-10 hrs is the max for a tire to me but occasionally im lazy and go up to 12 hrs. Not trying to get 15-20 hrs. At 4-5 hrs ill go through 7-8 tires. I would be ok with 5-6 rear tires and 3 fronts. Idk

I was asking about the new mx53 that they just came out with. I was thinking about using that for a practice tire and a Hoosier for a race tire.
rob162
1/3/2020 10:02pm
jleews6 wrote:
A local A class kid here was just telling me that he loves his Hoosiers and they work great but they dont last but like MOTO0852...
A local A class kid here was just telling me that he loves his Hoosiers and they work great but they dont last but like MOTO0852 said you have a choice.
Yeah I'd agrees with that kid. when they start to drop in performance it goes down hill very fast. Oddly mine are still biting good. Havent lost much performance yet but they are cracking again really bad. I'm all for one side or the other but these last 2 sets have been worse than the first 2
DB97
1/4/2020 6:30am
My first set was the normal 25 and I got about 10 hours on them riding soft dirt. The front sidewall was cracking and the rear side knobs started to separate. I just put on the 25s and 25 c100 rear that should last longer. If you really want durability get the 30. The tread pattern is the same for all of them just stiffer rubber. Hoosier is made in the USA which is why I'll spend a little extra.
AJ565
1/4/2020 6:35am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
rob162 wrote:
I'm running the 25 original carcass. Not the stiffer sidewalls they have now. This last set started cracking on the second ride. So maybe a 1.5...
I'm running the 25 original carcass. Not the stiffer sidewalls they have now. This last set started cracking on the second ride. So maybe a 1.5 HR or less. The set before that around 3.-3.5 hour mark. My first two rears held up at the same tracks for about 8 hrs before cracking at the base of the knobbies.

I know these are awesome spec tires. I Love the performance of them they work great but at this price + shipping it's gotta last just a little longer i need 6-7 hrs at least. I expect to go through 3-4 rear tires a year, I'm not fast or hard on tires but 9-10 hrs is the max for a tire to me but occasionally im lazy and go up to 12 hrs. Not trying to get 15-20 hrs. At 4-5 hrs ill go through 7-8 tires. I would be ok with 5-6 rear tires and 3 fronts. Idk

I was asking about the new mx53 that they just came out with. I was thinking about using that for a practice tire and a Hoosier for a race tire.
Go with the 30 rear 25 front. I also only got about 6 hours from the 25 before I tore knobs off, but the 30 I have about 9 hours on it. It needs replaced and just started to tear knobs. Thats a mix between sand tracks, loam, and hard pack.
yzf162
11/26/2020 10:45am
Im the op of the thread.

Yeah I love em as a spec tire. They are great performance but I just had a bad run I guess. The 2 sets in question barley made it 5 hrs before chunking and losing performance. Since then they have been lasting about 8 hrs before chunking and losing grip which is pretty acceptable to me for a spec tire. I just need 6 weeks out of a set. Usually practice one day a week and race one day 2 classes a week. I have also found that doing a practice set of wheels and race set extends the time i get out of them. Doing this im getting about 12 hrs a set. I don't mind the practice set getting a little more worn out this way since i have fresh tires for when i need them.
yzf162
11/26/2020 10:48am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2020 10:49am
Delete over post.
cloud41
11/26/2020 11:47am
Michelin Starcross 5 medium - best tire out there. Works great in all conditions and lasts
davidgrip
11/26/2020 12:00pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
rob162 wrote:
I'm running the 25 original carcass. Not the stiffer sidewalls they have now. This last set started cracking on the second ride. So maybe a 1.5...

I am running the Dunlop MX33 with great success both in performance and longevity. Switching to the MX53 for at least practice is a great idea, knowing that most tracks in the area are hard pack during the week. Even racing, most turn to hard pack by the 2nd moto. Watered just to keep the dust down.
11/26/2020 12:26pm
I just put a set of Bridgestone x20s on today. Hoping they last a bit, if not then next tires will probably be starcross 5
mxaaron
11/26/2020 12:41pm
I recently switched from Starcrosses to Dunlop MX33's. I've been a Michelin guy for many years but when they made the switch to 2 ply carcasses, I started having difficulty with flats fairly regularly. I also got cracking anytime I ran under 15 lbs of tire pressure. We also saw tearing of knobs as well, more on our 250f than on our 450. (that could be because my son rides a little harder than I do maybe.)
I actually prefer the 3 ply, heavier tires. I like to run around 13.5 psi as well. As with the soft Michelin's, A few of my riding buddies have had similar experience with the Hossier Daddy's too.
zeromarine
11/26/2020 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2020 1:10pm
I just put a set of Bridgestone x20s on today. Hoping they last a bit, if not then next tires will probably be starcross 5
Let me know how you like them. I have been using the starcross 5’s last summer for my Crf250r. But my new 2021 Yz250f comes with the x20’s stock. Hope they are similar. I’m a mid pack c class rider. Probably wouldn’t even notice haha.
Thanks
zeromarine
11/26/2020 1:09pm
mxaaron wrote:
I recently switched from Starcrosses to Dunlop MX33's. I've been a Michelin guy for many years but when they made the switch to 2 ply carcasses...
I recently switched from Starcrosses to Dunlop MX33's. I've been a Michelin guy for many years but when they made the switch to 2 ply carcasses, I started having difficulty with flats fairly regularly. I also got cracking anytime I ran under 15 lbs of tire pressure. We also saw tearing of knobs as well, more on our 250f than on our 450. (that could be because my son rides a little harder than I do maybe.)
I actually prefer the 3 ply, heavier tires. I like to run around 13.5 psi as well. As with the soft Michelin's, A few of my riding buddies have had similar experience with the Hossier Daddy's too.
I think I have 25 hours on my starcross 5 soft and they look like they are at 90% still. I run a loamy track but still look almost new. Guess depends on the terrain.
11/26/2020 1:10pm
zeromarine wrote:
Let me know how you like them. I have been using the starcross 5’s last summer for my Crf250r. But my new 2021 Yz250f comes with...
Let me know how you like them. I have been using the starcross 5’s last summer for my Crf250r. But my new 2021 Yz250f comes with the x20’s stock. Hope they are similar. I’m a mid pack c class rider. Probably wouldn’t even notice haha.
Thanks
Will do. Supposedly they grip well, but may wear quick. Hopefully that isn’t the case, because I can’t always find deals on them. Rocky Mountain has a sale so I got 2 rears and a front for around $230
zeromarine
11/26/2020 2:11pm
zeromarine wrote:
Let me know how you like them. I have been using the starcross 5’s last summer for my Crf250r. But my new 2021 Yz250f comes with...
Thanks
Will do. Supposedly they grip well, but may wear quick. Hopefully that isn’t the case, because I can’t always find deals on them. Rocky Mountain has...
Will do. Supposedly they grip well, but may wear quick. Hopefully that isn’t the case, because I can’t always find deals on them. Rocky Mountain has a sale so I got 2 rears and a front for around $230
Thanks!
silver753
11/26/2020 3:28pm
Joe, can you name us a few top guys who make main events, indoors and out that run these so called magic tires?

On a serious note, I'm sure a few guys run them, just curious on specific names. Sorry about the ball bustin.
mxaaron
11/26/2020 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2020 3:43pm
mxaaron wrote:
I recently switched from Starcrosses to Dunlop MX33's. I've been a Michelin guy for many years but when they made the switch to 2 ply carcasses...
zeromarine wrote:
I think I have 25 hours on my starcross 5 soft and they look like they are at 90% still. I run a loamy track but...
I think I have 25 hours on my starcross 5 soft and they look like they are at 90% still. I run a loamy track but still look almost new. Guess depends on the terrain.
My 17 KX 450 has the starcross 5's on it still, they were new when I took the bike to Cali. They are still doing well down there, I've ridden Cahuilla 4 times, LACR 4 times, Perris once, Fox once, and once at Milestone. They're still decent tread with 20 hours on them. Up here in Washington though we have harder pan tracks, and they don't fare as well. In the same amount of time I've worn a set out on my bike up here, my 19 KX. I use the MX33's, and haven't had near the same issue with flats nor wear.
I love the Starcrosses, but we have a track in BC called Popkum mx. Every single time I've ridden up there with the Starcrosses, I've had a flat.

As is always the case, certain tires are better for certain conditions. I've never tried the Hoosier though.
zeromarine
11/26/2020 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2020 5:04pm
mxaaron wrote:
zeromarine wrote:
I think I have 25 hours on my starcross 5 soft and they look like they are at 90% still. I run a loamy track but...
mxaaron wrote:
My 17 KX 450 has the starcross 5's on it still, they were new when I took the bike to Cali. They are still doing well...
My 17 KX 450 has the starcross 5's on it still, they were new when I took the bike to Cali. They are still doing well down there, I've ridden Cahuilla 4 times, LACR 4 times, Perris once, Fox once, and once at Milestone. They're still decent tread with 20 hours on them. Up here in Washington though we have harder pan tracks, and they don't fare as well. In the same amount of time I've worn a set out on my bike up here, my 19 KX. I use the MX33's, and haven't had near the same issue with flats nor wear.
I love the Starcrosses, but we have a track in BC called Popkum mx. Every single time I've ridden up there with the Starcrosses, I've had a flat.

As is always the case, certain tires are better for certain conditions. I've never tried the Hoosier though.
Ya makes sense ! I’m actually from Kamloops. Haven’t ridden popkum yet but plan on it. My main track is whispering pines. 🤙

Will see how these Bridgestone x20s work on my new bike this summer.
mxaaron
11/26/2020 5:28pm
zeromarine wrote:
mxaaron wrote:
My 17 KX 450 has the starcross 5's on it still, they were new when I took the bike to Cali. They are still doing well...

zeromarine wrote:
Ya makes sense ! I’m actually from Kamloops. Haven’t ridden popkum yet but plan on it. My main track is whispering pines. 🤙 Will see how...
Ya makes sense ! I’m actually from Kamloops. Haven’t ridden popkum yet but plan on it. My main track is whispering pines. 🤙

We have Bridgestone X-30's on our CRF, and they are very good tires. They don't seem to have the knob size of the Dunlop but they're extremely durable, with good traction. They're affordable too. They work great at Popkum.
zeromarine
11/26/2020 6:47pm
mxaaron wrote:

zeromarine wrote:
Ya makes sense ! I’m actually from Kamloops. Haven’t ridden popkum yet but plan on it. My main track is whispering pines. 🤙 Will see how...

mxaaron wrote:
We have Bridgestone X-30's on our CRF, and they are very good tires. They don't seem to have the knob size of the Dunlop but they're...
We have Bridgestone X-30's on our CRF, and they are very good tires. They don't seem to have the knob size of the Dunlop but they're extremely durable, with good traction. They're affordable too. They work great at Popkum.
Awesome ! Thanks for the info!

Post a reply to: Hoosier vs new Dunlops

The Latest