Hoosier tires for offroad/ woods

Related:
Create New Tag

8/19/2020 7:49 AM

Anyone have any feedback?

East Coast Woods, Rock, roots, mixed soil conditions.

Husky TX300.

My dealer wants me to try out a set.

|

8/19/2020 8:21 AM

I tried their soft moto tire in a couple harescrambles down here I’m south FL. I usually run MX33s and they hold up fine. The Hoosiers chunked like a Mofo, were great in the sand but once we started hitting roots it was game over.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

8/19/2020 8:25 AM

my riding buddy uses nothing but hooiser tires on his, we run gncc and mideast... he loves them and currently in the lead in gncc +35 class... they seem to last alot better for him then what i have read about on the moto side.. i have yet to try them but might this weekend as i have a set

|

8/19/2020 8:32 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

I tried their soft moto tire in a couple harescrambles down here I’m south FL. I usually run MX33s and they hold up fine. The Hoosiers chunked like a Mofo, were great in the sand but once we started hitting roots it was game over.

What were they acting like in the roots?
I normally run a Goldentyre 216 or Mitas C19 yellow or green in 90/90.
For rear usually a Mitas 754 or C18 green stripe.
I run standard nitromousse in both wheels.

|

8/19/2020 8:36 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

I tried their soft moto tire in a couple harescrambles down here I’m south FL. I usually run MX33s and they hold up fine. The Hoosiers chunked like a Mofo, were great in the sand but once we started hitting roots it was game over.

I heard the IMX20 gets torn up pretty quick and that the 30 was the way to go for varying terrain.

|

8/19/2020 9:37 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

I tried their soft moto tire in a couple harescrambles down here I’m south FL. I usually run MX33s and they hold up fine. The Hoosiers chunked like a Mofo, were great in the sand but once we started hitting roots it was game over.

Tuna wrote:

What were they acting like in the roots?
I normally run a Goldentyre 216 or Mitas C19 yellow or green in 90/90.
For rear usually a Mitas 754 or C18 green stripe.
I run standard nitromousse in both wheels.

They acted fine as far as handling but I was missing a couple knobs with about 2.5 hours on the rear. I just ran tubes because I use the bike for moto as well.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

8/19/2020 9:40 AM

Dumb question.. Can you adjust air pressure with the nitromousse?

|

8/19/2020 10:06 AM

I have ran a couple sets of the MX 25. I normally ride single track enduro trails. They about 1 short enduro. They work well on the roots and rocks. If I was to try them again I would try the 30 to see if they last any longer.

|

8/19/2020 10:16 AM

skeef wrote:

Dumb question.. Can you adjust air pressure with the nitromousse?

No, they are a solid foam insert.

|

8/19/2020 10:24 AM

They have had a couple generations in construction where the carcass has been updated. These newer gens seem to be more durable. I had an old gen 120/90-18 in 25 compound and was still able to get 15hrs on the tire with all the knobs. I'm on a new gen 110/100-18 and only have about 6hrs on it currently. Northern Indiana harescrambles and GP's. I know a few guys that love the 20 compound in the woods and shoot for about 10hrs on the tire.

|

8/19/2020 10:49 AM

skeef wrote:

Dumb question.. Can you adjust air pressure with the nitromousse?

No, not really. You can drill them to reduce air pressure feel. They also sell a soft version closer to 6psi.

|

8/19/2020 10:51 AM

Was just chatting with a guy that had big sidewalk issues. 5 hours on tires. Purchased the tires Spring
2020Photo

|

8/19/2020 10:57 AM

Dang, did that dude ride on it flat for 100 miles? shocked

|

8/19/2020 11:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2020 11:33 AM

Hey Tuna, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to decide between the 2021 TX and TE 300. What made you go with the TX?

Sorry, I've never tried the Hoosier tires.

|

8/19/2020 12:02 PM

Phoenix Honda runs them in gncc. You can probably go through their ig and find out what they were running at what races and try them out.

|

8/19/2020 1:22 PM

agn5009 wrote:

Hey Tuna, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to decide between the 2021 TX and TE 300. What made you go with the TX?

Sorry, I've never tried the Hoosier tires.

I like to go fast as well as slow😂
Aer fork is way more versatile and I don’t need a light. Ride a lot of different styles. Hard enduro, GNCC style stuff, MX, flowy single track, etc. The 21 fork is a big improvement. The Xplor is just too soft for me.

|

8/19/2020 1:24 PM

LungButter wrote:

Dang, did that dude ride on it flat for 100 miles? shocked

AA/Pro class rider offroad. I didn’t ask If he was on tubes or mousses. Also curious about the Hoosier mousses. He had 4 sets that did the same thing .

|

8/19/2020 1:44 PM

agn5009 wrote:

Hey Tuna, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to decide between the 2021 TX and TE 300. What made you go with the TX?

Sorry, I've never tried the Hoosier tires.

Tuna wrote:

I like to go fast as well as slow😂
Aer fork is way more versatile and I don’t need a light. Ride a lot of different styles. Hard enduro, GNCC style stuff, MX, flowy single track, etc. The 21 fork is a big improvement. The Xplor is just too soft for me.

I'm really having a hard time making this decision 😅 I currently have a 2017 TE 300. I've never been a fan of the suspension. I finally got it decent after sending it to pro tune and they did their conversion kit on it. I run Vet A and still go pretty decent. I like to do traditional harescrambles as well. Local, GNCC, etc. However most of the riding I do these days consists of hard enduro type. I ride with some very good hard enduro guys (guys who finish top 10 at events such as tough like rorr, Tennessee Knockout, Battle of the Goats etc) and I need all the help I can get to keep up with them. On one hand I know the TX would be better for the races I do. On the other hand I know the TE is better for the typical riding I do. Is the TE really that much better for hard enduro type riding? Or is the TX not really at a disadvantage like I assume?

|

8/19/2020 2:05 PM

agn5009 wrote:

Hey Tuna, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to decide between the 2021 TX and TE 300. What made you go with the TX?

Sorry, I've never tried the Hoosier tires.

Tuna wrote:

I like to go fast as well as slow😂
Aer fork is way more versatile and I don’t need a light. Ride a lot of different styles. Hard enduro, GNCC style stuff, MX, flowy single track, etc. The 21 fork is a big improvement. The Xplor is just too soft for me.

agn5009 wrote:

I'm really having a hard time making this decision 😅 I currently have a 2017 TE 300. I've never been a fan of the suspension. I finally got it decent after sending it to pro tune and they did their conversion kit on it. I run Vet A and still go pretty decent. I like to do traditional harescrambles as well. Local, GNCC, etc. However most of the riding I do these days consists of hard enduro type. I ride with some very good hard enduro guys (guys who finish top 10 at events such as tough like rorr, Tennessee Knockout, Battle of the Goats etc) and I need all the help I can get to keep up with them. On one hand I know the TX would be better for the races I do. On the other hand I know the TE is better for the typical riding I do. Is the TE really that much better for hard enduro type riding? Or is the TX not really at a disadvantage like I assume?

Tough one to decide. The TE turns a little better, is geared better and easier to ride in the tight stuff. I get to ride with some top level WESS guys and ride their race set ups. Some are similar to the TE, some are quite different. I’m similar to you, Vet A and I can still go good. Lately I’ve been riding more slow stuff just because that’s what my crew seems to be doing. My buddy also just built a nice 1.5km MX track so I’m wanting to Moto more. I only want one bike, no more having 3 bikes in the garage. If you wanna chat more I can shoot you my number.

|

8/19/2020 3:01 PM

Tuna wrote:

Was just chatting with a guy that had big sidewalk issues. 5 hours on tires. Purchased the tires Spring
2020Photo

Mine do that too. I've had 3 sets do it with the latest tire having about 6 hours on it.

I had the same issue as Rickyisms with them chunking when I did a track and trail race with them. They are a great tire for what they are designed for, which is racing and getting replaced often. They are not great long use or trails.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

8/19/2020 3:25 PM

Tuna wrote:

I like to go fast as well as slow😂
Aer fork is way more versatile and I don’t need a light. Ride a lot of different styles. Hard enduro, GNCC style stuff, MX, flowy single track, etc. The 21 fork is a big improvement. The Xplor is just too soft for me.

agn5009 wrote:

I'm really having a hard time making this decision 😅 I currently have a 2017 TE 300. I've never been a fan of the suspension. I finally got it decent after sending it to pro tune and they did their conversion kit on it. I run Vet A and still go pretty decent. I like to do traditional harescrambles as well. Local, GNCC, etc. However most of the riding I do these days consists of hard enduro type. I ride with some very good hard enduro guys (guys who finish top 10 at events such as tough like rorr, Tennessee Knockout, Battle of the Goats etc) and I need all the help I can get to keep up with them. On one hand I know the TX would be better for the races I do. On the other hand I know the TE is better for the typical riding I do. Is the TE really that much better for hard enduro type riding? Or is the TX not really at a disadvantage like I assume?

Tuna wrote:

Tough one to decide. The TE turns a little better, is geared better and easier to ride in the tight stuff. I get to ride with some top level WESS guys and ride their race set ups. Some are similar to the TE, some are quite different. I’m similar to you, Vet A and I can still go good. Lately I’ve been riding more slow stuff just because that’s what my crew seems to be doing. My buddy also just built a nice 1.5km MX track so I’m wanting to Moto more. I only want one bike, no more having 3 bikes in the garage. If you wanna chat more I can shoot you my number.

Sure, im not sure how the PM's work on here but ill figure it out. Thanks!

|

8/19/2020 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2020 4:18 PM

LungButter wrote:

Dang, did that dude ride on it flat for 100 miles? shocked

That's me, and no...I have 4 of these tires, that's the 3rd front Hoosier (4th still on the wall), and all 5hrs later the sidewalls cracked... 13.5psi using tubes

|

8/20/2020 8:56 PM

LungButter wrote:

Dang, did that dude ride on it flat for 100 miles? shocked

Monk wrote:

That's me, and no...I have 4 of these tires, that's the 3rd front Hoosier (4th still on the wall), and all 5hrs later the sidewalls cracked... 13.5psi using tubes

I’ve had 6 sets on my 450. The first 4 developed cracking around the knobbies after about 5 hours, but nothing on the sidewalls. The last 2 sets ended up sitting in my garage for a few months and they got torn up fast. They worked awesome, but not sure it’s worth the cost. If I was racing, it might be easier to swallow the price.

The MX25 18” rear and MX25 front didn’t last long it all, but seemed to work pretty good for about 100 miles.

|

8/20/2020 9:55 PM

Don’t they need more air pressure than other tires?

|

8/21/2020 5:48 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Don’t they need more air pressure than other tires?

12 to 14psi

|

8/21/2020 6:04 AM

LungButter wrote:

Dang, did that dude ride on it flat for 100 miles? shocked

Monk wrote:

That's me, and no...I have 4 of these tires, that's the 3rd front Hoosier (4th still on the wall), and all 5hrs later the sidewalls cracked... 13.5psi using tubes

Same as mine have been doing with the same psi.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

8/21/2020 6:30 AM

They’re great when they’re new but don’t last very long before they start cracking and chunking. If you swap tires every 2 rides then you’re fine but not the best for the weekend warrior on a budget

|

8/21/2020 6:56 AM

Tuna wrote:

Was just chatting with a guy that had big sidewalk issues. 5 hours on tires. Purchased the tires Spring
2020Photo

AJ565 wrote:

Mine do that too. I've had 3 sets do it with the latest tire having about 6 hours on it.

I had the same issue as Rickyisms with them chunking when I did a track and trail race with them. They are a great tire for what they are designed for, which is racing and getting replaced often. They are not great long use or trails.

I've had 2 sets do the same. Had a local pro who runs them tell me its fairly normal/common for those tires and the severity of cracking depends on the air pressure. I'm on my 3rd set and its not doing it. Hoosier may have fixed their issue because I haven't done anything different on the 3rd set that I did on the first two. Love the tires though, they hook up like a mofo when using the right tire choice and air pressure in the right conditions.

|

8/21/2020 7:35 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Don’t they need more air pressure than other tires?

Tuna wrote:

12 to 14psi

Keefer review:

Photo
Photo

|