Honda's new DI two-stroke plans.

Edited Date/Time 7/21/2015 7:14am
Not sure on the authenticity. Was released yesterday. Could be legitimate. Could be some asshole blogger. But if there's even a shred of truth, this is a big deal.

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/scoop-hondas-secret-plans-two-strokes-are-ba…
|
philG
7/18/2015 3:04am
I am seeing an engine with a valve, and drawings that look decidedly 'old school' .. the design certainly doesnt have anything on it that gives any indication that it is for a motorcycle , looks more like a generator engine to me ,

I without seeing the rest of the patent application, i dont see anything there that even makes it a two stroke.
7/18/2015 3:13am
philG wrote:
I am seeing an engine with a valve, and drawings that look decidedly 'old school' .. the design certainly doesnt have anything on it that gives...
I am seeing an engine with a valve, and drawings that look decidedly 'old school' .. the design certainly doesnt have anything on it that gives any indication that it is for a motorcycle , looks more like a generator engine to me ,

I without seeing the rest of the patent application, i dont see anything there that even makes it a two stroke.
Reed valve intake is the gimme.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/18/2015 3:14am
That crank would never do a full revolution...... that would be a bazaar power curve without that rotating mass.

The Shop

VET176
7/18/2015 3:15am
Me personally, I don't give a fuck what Honda build in the future. They have burnt the bridge with me. Angry
ChrisB10
7/18/2015 3:19am
Appears to be for a road bike. Not sure why anyone would want that over an online 4?
philG
7/18/2015 3:23am
MxKing809 wrote:
That crank would never do a full revolution...... that would be a bazaar power curve without that rotating mass.
The crank rotates , but the rod is connected to the arm which is anchored at the other end.

This is Honda's way of making an engine that only needs 3 moving parts , and giving it 10 .

I'm calling it a graduate exercise that got as far as the first person who knew what they were doing , who then , after a week looking at it disbelief , told them to patent it for shits and giggles.
7/18/2015 3:27am
If you scale it off the acorn nuts and sparkplug, it would be about the size of a current 85cc motor.
7/18/2015 4:29am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 4:29am
It's taken me 20 minutes to figure out how it actually rotates......

It does look like a complicated answer to a simple question, but without any proper info about it we're all kinda guessing...

Nice thought that Honda will be bringing the 2 stroke back though..

Stevie
7/18/2015 4:51am
It still uses the crankcase to pull air in, but the fuel is injected directly in the transfer ports. I wonder how the crank bearings get their lubrication.
newmann
7/18/2015 5:05am
Honda would buy the design and patent it just to insure it would never get produced.
7/18/2015 5:44am
newmann wrote:
Honda would buy the design and patent it just to insure it would never get produced.
This. Lots of mega corporations have patents just to have them. Its the rage these days.
YZ125H1
7/18/2015 6:02am
newmann wrote:
This, why would Honda make a 2 stroke now? The engine looks interesting the stroke sure seems long to me. New RS125R motor?
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
7/18/2015 6:17am
I have an idea for an engine that would fire twice on 1 stroke engine using 2 stroke intake and exhaust. Nothing proven just theory
philG
7/18/2015 6:45am
newmann wrote:
I thought the same, it happens more than you realise
7/18/2015 6:58am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 6:59am
I hope to one day read threads where users state:" back in my day we thought 2 strokes were murdered and left in a dark smelly alley."

"Rememeber when manufacturers didn't make 2 strokes?"
viking24
7/18/2015 8:01am
These are not the droids were looking for...you can go about your business...move along, move along.
The Rock
7/18/2015 9:17am
newmann wrote:
Yep.....think Ribi
newmann
7/18/2015 9:29am
newmann wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Yep.....think Ribi
From the Ribi all the way down to patenting the routing of a brake hose so no one else can route their hose the same way without paying up.
DownSouth
7/18/2015 10:13am
newmann wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Yep.....think Ribi
newmann wrote:
From the Ribi all the way down to patenting the routing of a brake hose so no one else can route their hose the same way...
From the Ribi all the way down to patenting the routing of a brake hose so no one else can route their hose the same way without paying up.
I was never able to grasp why a patent would be granted based on the direction a hose was routed. Honda pulled a fast one with that.
Moto75
7/18/2015 10:23am
MxKing809 wrote:
philG wrote:
The crank rotates , but the rod is connected to the arm which is anchored at the other end. This is Honda's way of making an...
The crank rotates , but the rod is connected to the arm which is anchored at the other end.

This is Honda's way of making an engine that only needs 3 moving parts , and giving it 10 .

I'm calling it a graduate exercise that got as far as the first person who knew what they were doing , who then , after a week looking at it disbelief , told them to patent it for shits and giggles.
It's definitely a cool idea. By changing the length of the arm from the crank to the rod, they could increase or decrease stroke while keeping the same crank. Does look like an older design though.
MR. X
7/18/2015 10:40am
Why do so many people go 6 to 12 over a direct injection 2 stroke ,they are not that special.
7/18/2015 11:11am
..here is a link to my patent...click on the full page bx on the left....
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=08904976&IDKey=1C2BDE908FB…
IS there some class that architects and patent draftsmen take so that they can write in that style! I meant the "FIG. x" letters :D Did...
IS there some class that architects and patent draftsmen take so that they can write in that style! I meant the "FIG. x" letters :D

Did you really patent that?
..the drawings were done for me by Ken Carrier...
..He does work on NASA projects...worked for Eaton at the time...
...yes, I did patent that..
kiwifan
7/18/2015 4:49pm
lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something when they havent even done it yet...negative nancies !! lol I guess if they produced a 2 stroke everyone would hate it anyway despite people hating them for not producing one!!!

My Opinion (and on topic)....good on them for looking at options for a clean 2 stroke if indeed that is what is proposed.
mx836
7/18/2015 7:08pm
kiwifan wrote:
lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something...
lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something when they havent even done it yet...negative nancies !! lol I guess if they produced a 2 stroke everyone would hate it anyway despite people hating them for not producing one!!!

My Opinion (and on topic)....good on them for looking at options for a clean 2 stroke if indeed that is what is proposed.
You forgot...

"Sincerely,
Honda's #1 fan"

Tongue
kiwifan
7/18/2015 7:17pm
kiwifan wrote:
lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something...

mx836 wrote:
You forgot...

"Sincerely,
Honda's #1 fan"

Tongue
you didnt sign yours "Sincerely, fuck you Honda rider"

:-)

dynohut
7/18/2015 7:27pm
Your new Honda Lawn mower! Enjoy
h&m_cycle
7/18/2015 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 7:43pm
kiwifan wrote:

Head of HRC said Honda has zero chance of producing a 2 stroke... Honda would rather get beat in the mini
classes then produce a 2 stroke...
I'll post this years mini classes results for you for Lorettas...

Post a reply to: Honda's new DI two-stroke plans.

The Latest