Honda's new DI two-stroke plans.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2015 2:46 AM

Not sure on the authenticity. Was released yesterday. Could be legitimate. Could be some asshole blogger. But if there's even a shred of truth, this is a big deal.

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/scoop-hondas-secret-plans-two-strokes-are-back/

|

7/18/2015 3:01 AM

|

7/18/2015 3:04 AM

I am seeing an engine with a valve, and drawings that look decidedly 'old school' .. the design certainly doesnt have anything on it that gives any indication that it is for a motorcycle , looks more like a generator engine to me ,

I without seeing the rest of the patent application, i dont see anything there that even makes it a two stroke.

|

7/18/2015 3:13 AM

philG wrote:

I am seeing an engine with a valve, and drawings that look decidedly 'old school' .. the design certainly doesnt have anything ...more

Reed valve intake is the gimme.

|

7/18/2015 3:14 AM

That crank would never do a full revolution...... that would be a bazaar power curve without that rotating mass.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

7/18/2015 3:15 AM

Me personally, I don't give a fuck what Honda build in the future. They have burnt the bridge with me. angry

|

7/18/2015 3:19 AM

Appears to be for a road bike. Not sure why anyone would want that over an online 4?

|

7/18/2015 3:23 AM

MxKing809 wrote:

That crank would never do a full revolution...... that would be a bazaar power curve without that rotating mass.

The crank rotates , but the rod is connected to the arm which is anchored at the other end.

This is Honda's way of making an engine that only needs 3 moving parts , and giving it 10 .

I'm calling it a graduate exercise that got as far as the first person who knew what they were doing , who then , after a week looking at it disbelief , told them to patent it for shits and giggles.

|

7/18/2015 3:27 AM

If you scale it off the acorn nuts and sparkplug, it would be about the size of a current 85cc motor.

|

7/18/2015 4:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2015 4:29 AM

It's taken me 20 minutes to figure out how it actually rotates......

It does look like a complicated answer to a simple question, but without any proper info about it we're all kinda guessing...

Nice thought that Honda will be bringing the 2 stroke back though..

Stevie

|

Check out our website! www.phildentonengineering.com E-mail if you don't see what you're after!

The finest Titanium, Stainless Steel and Billet alloy components in the world!

Engine building, Race prep, Restoration

https://www.facebook.com/PhilDentonEngineering

7/18/2015 4:51 AM

It still uses the crankcase to pull air in, but the fuel is injected directly in the transfer ports. I wonder how the crank bearings get their lubrication.

|

7/18/2015 5:05 AM

Honda would buy the design and patent it just to insure it would never get produced.

|

7/18/2015 5:44 AM

newmann wrote:

Honda would buy the design and patent it just to insure it would never get produced.

This. Lots of mega corporations have patents just to have them. Its the rage these days.

|

7/18/2015 6:02 AM

newmann wrote:

This, why would Honda make a 2 stroke now? The engine looks interesting the stroke sure seems long to me. New RS125R motor?

|

7/18/2015 6:17 AM

I have an idea for an engine that would fire twice on 1 stroke engine using 2 stroke intake and exhaust. Nothing proven just theory

|

7/18/2015 6:45 AM

newmann wrote:

I thought the same, it happens more than you realise

|

7/18/2015 6:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2015 6:59 AM

I hope to one day read threads where users state:" back in my day we thought 2 strokes were murdered and left in a dark smelly alley."

"Rememeber when manufacturers didn't make 2 strokes?"

|

GP740
Since 1987

7/18/2015 8:01 AM

These are not the droids were looking for...you can go about your business...move along, move along.

|

7/18/2015 9:17 AM

newmann wrote:

Yep.....think Ribi

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

7/18/2015 9:29 AM

newmann wrote:

The Rock wrote:

Yep.....think Ribi

From the Ribi all the way down to patenting the routing of a brake hose so no one else can route their hose the same way without paying up.

|

7/18/2015 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2015 9:57 AM

|

rickys james mc hannah 469...ama pro career wins...and counting
which means these riders have an average of 92 wins ea...
which is equal to over 3 years of winning every single sx and natl each...
15 years of absolute total 100% domination ...just sayin' ...

7/18/2015 10:13 AM

newmann wrote:

The Rock wrote:

Yep.....think Ribi

newmann wrote:

From the Ribi all the way down to patenting the routing of a brake hose so no one else can route their hose the same way ...more

I was never able to grasp why a patent would be granted based on the direction a hose was routed. Honda pulled a fast one with that.

|

7/18/2015 10:23 AM

MxKing809 wrote:

philG wrote:

The crank rotates , but the rod is connected to the arm which is anchored at the other end.

This is Honda's way of making an ...more

It's definitely a cool idea. By changing the length of the arm from the crank to the rod, they could increase or decrease stroke while keeping the same crank. Does look like an older design though.

|

7/18/2015 10:40 AM

Why do so many people go 6 to 12 over a direct injection 2 stroke ,they are not that special.

|

7/18/2015 10:51 AM

IS there some class that architects and patent draftsmen take so that they can write in that style! I meant the "FIG. x" letters :D

Did you really patent that?

|

7/18/2015 11:11 AM

dazzlindino wrote:

..here is a link to my patent...click on the full page bx on the left....
...more

thefactorypilot wrote:

IS there some class that architects and patent draftsmen take so that they can write in that style! I meant the "FIG. x" ...more

..the drawings were done for me by Ken Carrier...
..He does work on NASA projects...worked for Eaton at the time...
...yes, I did patent that..

|

rickys james mc hannah 469...ama pro career wins...and counting
which means these riders have an average of 92 wins ea...
which is equal to over 3 years of winning every single sx and natl each...
15 years of absolute total 100% domination ...just sayin' ...

7/18/2015 4:49 PM

lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something when they havent even done it yet...negative nancies !! lol I guess if they produced a 2 stroke everyone would hate it anyway despite people hating them for not producing one!!!

My Opinion (and on topic)....good on them for looking at options for a clean 2 stroke if indeed that is what is proposed.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

7/18/2015 7:08 PM

kiwifan wrote:

lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something ...more

You forgot...

"Sincerely,
Honda's #1 fan"

tongue

|

7/18/2015 7:17 PM

kiwifan wrote:

lmao dammed if you do dammed if you dont, a lot of dislike here for honda and a lot of comments saying they will do something ...more

mx836 wrote:

You forgot...

"Sincerely,
Honda's #1 fan"

tongue

you didnt sign yours "Sincerely, fuck you Honda rider"

:-)

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

7/18/2015 7:27 PM