Honda should Keep Andrew Short

Sandberm
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:36am
Hes a great ambassador for any brand he represents. Friendly, likable family guy who keeps his nose clean. CONSISTENTLY fast and near the top in results.

But heres the deal, he cant win a championship, can he? Maybe he can. His rap in the outdoor nationals so far this year has been he fades after 20 minutes and if you wait him out you can make a pass on him in the last third of the moto. Conclusion:no outdoor title for Andrew.

But what about SX? The main in an sx is about 20 minutes. With Andrews consistency and a full healthy sx season in 2011, he could get a win one or two and with some injuries to key competitors perhaps the title?

I think so. Though the window may begin to close for Andrew soon, he seems faster and more focused this year and if he could carry that on to next year, well....
|
TeamGreen
8/12/2010 3:11pm
I believe this is already a done deal: Short and Canard in 2011.
TeamGreen
8/12/2010 3:14pm
Ah, geeze, I'm in agreement with a Canuck.

There goes my Hockey season!
BLAHBLAH
8/12/2010 3:22pm
I definetly think Short should stay on Honda, no doubt about it....

The one thing I do find a little strange this year is...

IMO Short used to be the guy that didn't have necessarly the top level pace but would get a decent start fight hard for each position and outlast other guys for solid top five and occasional podium finishes. This year he has seemed to have the outright speed but not the endurance coming off his injury. Maybe Short has found some speed or maybe the pace this year is not quite up to par. Either way, I don't think Short will ever win a championship (unless they bring back the grand national chapmionship).

The Shop

crf250pilot
8/13/2010 1:39am
Honda needs new blood and short needs to change something up too.
swizcore
8/13/2010 5:57am
Somethings off in our sport when the consistent top 3 guy for the last 4 seasons isn't a shoe-in for MXoN and multiple contract options at the end of his deal.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
8/13/2010 6:56am
BLAHBLAH wrote:
I definetly think Short should stay on Honda, no doubt about it.... The one thing I do find a little strange this year is... IMO Short...

IMO Short used to be the guy that didn't have necessarly the top level pace but would get a decent start fight hard for each position and outlast other guys for solid top five and occasional podium finishes. This year he has seemed to have the outright speed but not the endurance coming off his injury. Maybe Short has found some speed or maybe the pace this year is not quite up to par. Either way, I don't think Short will ever win a championship (unless they bring back the grand national chapmionship).

I'm guessing that's because he's using more effort to ride at that higher pace. Once he gets accustomed to riding at that higher pace, his comfort level will rise as well as his capacity to maintain it.

Of course, this is just a WAG on my part.
P
8/13/2010 7:03am
If they don't want to win very many races or a title they should keep him. I hate to bag on him, but this was his year to do it and he didn't. Give a young hungry guy a shot. I think that he would be a great guy for a team like JGR. That's just MHO.

P
gt80rider
8/13/2010 8:16am
swizcore wrote:
Somethings off in our sport when the consistent top 3 guy for the last 4 seasons isn't a shoe-in for MXoN and multiple contract options at...
Somethings off in our sport when the consistent top 3 guy for the last 4 seasons isn't a shoe-in for MXoN and multiple contract options at the end of his deal.
if he'd have won a couple SX's and nationals, he'd be a shoe in... just goes to show that second is simply the first loser..... and all that sponsors (and even fans) tend to care about is who wins...
Astor
8/13/2010 9:15am
If they get to choose between Short and Pourcel the choice is easy IMO. Its lots of talk about few factory rides for deserving riders but its not a endless supply of potential champions either.
WR5
8/13/2010 9:21am
I Like to see Short in Suzuki with RD will be awesome!!
BLAHBLAH
8/13/2010 9:31am
So you guys don't think Honda should try to win?
From their track record post-RC days I would say they haven't tried to win.... When it really comes down to it I would say their are only a few guys with a real chance at winning a title Stewart, Dungey, Villipoto and Reed. In order for Honda to jump in they have to deal out some cash..
8/13/2010 9:48am
BLAHBLAH wrote:
From their track record post-RC days I would say they haven't tried to win.... When it really comes down to it I would say their are...
From their track record post-RC days I would say they haven't tried to win.... When it really comes down to it I would say their are only a few guys with a real chance at winning a title Stewart, Dungey, Villipoto and Reed. In order for Honda to jump in they have to deal out some cash..
Add Pourcel to that list and i believe you are spot on!
BLAHBLAH
8/13/2010 9:55am
I would say Pourcel is the wildcard, I think he could win next year but I don't know if he can last a whole season... It seems he struggles to complete two motos, maybe he is just fucking w/ everyones head..
8/13/2010 9:55am
I think Milsaps is a better choice..

Who wants to hit this next?
P
8/13/2010 10:14am
BLAHBLAH wrote:
I would say Pourcel is the wildcard, I think he could win next year but I don't know if he can last a whole season... It...
I would say Pourcel is the wildcard, I think he could win next year but I don't know if he can last a whole season... It seems he struggles to complete two motos, maybe he is just fucking w/ everyones head..
I would say that Pourcel's issues are more health related, but that is just a guess.

P
Weeks381fan
8/13/2010 10:27am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2010 10:28am
Pourcel will not win a 450 title unless those other 3-4 guys get hurt or retire. I want to see Stewy or Poto at Honda to bring back a few titles for the Red Riders.
8/13/2010 10:39am
Short needs to go to Suzuki. Rogers is the guy that will get Shorty on the top step
8/13/2010 11:12am
the only way shorty is getting on the top step is if he trips over one of the bottom ones.
dunn2500
8/13/2010 11:23am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2010 11:29am
why? bottom line

its about championships, thats what the major fact teams want and spend money for

.....pourcel and canard for 2011

DanDunes818
8/13/2010 11:50am
No doubt about it.. How can they let go of the #2 guy.. If we had the old # system Shorty would be #2 in 2011 . When's the last time the #2 guy was fired? I understand Honda and most companies for that matter want guys that win races and championships but there's only one #1 and there's allot more to being a good rep for sponsors than winning. Andrew is always up front week in and week out, always there for the fans, always smiles, never complains or makes excuses, and is the last one to stop signing autographs before and after the races. Not too mention the guy has a great web site where he makes sick videos every week and promotes his sponsors to a very wide audience. IMO he is the 1st guy I would sign after RV , RD and JS. He's probably the biggest overall bang for your buck in the pits.
DanDunes818
8/13/2010 11:52am
WR5 wrote:
I Like to see Short in Suzuki with RD will be awesome!!
I do agree with this too. i'm a huge team suzuki fan, always have been and I would love to see Shorty over there.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3116th
8/13/2010 12:08pm
BLAHBLAH wrote:
I definetly think Short should stay on Honda, no doubt about it.... The one thing I do find a little strange this year is... IMO Short...

It only appears that he now has the "top level pace" because the real top level pace guys aren't here. Tomorrow people will find out that Dungey is not a good benchmark for "top level" speed. Whistling
Adam43
8/13/2010 12:11pm
I think they should stay together. They need to work on the whole winning thing though.

Shorty seems almost snakebit by it. If he became an undertaker I bet people would stop dying!
8/13/2010 12:26pm
Short is a great role model, its only a matter of time before he puts it all together. Honda is lucky to have him!!!!
P
8/13/2010 12:33pm
So a race team can let guys like MC and RC walk out the door, when they were winning, but they stick with a guy that isn't? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Either way, Short is a top level rider, make no mistake about it, but it doesn't look like he is the guy that is going to bring a Championship home. He's a good second guy to have on a team, but who is Honda's first guy?

P
TeamGreen
8/13/2010 12:51pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
They should go after Pourcel .
Been there, done that...Monster's in the way.
TeamGreen
8/13/2010 12:55pm
P wrote:
So a race team can let guys like MC and RC walk out the door, when they were winning, but they stick with a guy that...
So a race team can let guys like MC and RC walk out the door, when they were winning, but they stick with a guy that isn't? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Either way, Short is a top level rider, make no mistake about it, but it doesn't look like he is the guy that is going to bring a Championship home. He's a good second guy to have on a team, but who is Honda's first guy?

P
You don't think he's gotten faster in the last two seasons?

You don't think he could find MORE speed, MORE skill...?

How the hell does a Sport evolve?

You make really good points; however, your view is entirely STATIC and not DYNAMIC...

Aren't you a James-fan?

He's STAYED on Top of the Game by being EXTREMELY Dynamic...like when he started mimicking Dungey's lines and methods at A1...that was un-f'n-believable!

Post a reply to: Honda should Keep Andrew Short

The Latest