Honda Ruckus

Related:
Create New Tag

9/10/2017 1:07 PM

Anyone on here use one as a pit bike? Seen a few at the races, was wondering if they are fairly reliable. Looking to get something else to go along with the golf cart, plus I hear they get around 100 miles on a gallon of gas!

|

9/10/2017 1:12 PM

They are cool for the pits but only issue id say is if you don't use it a lot the carb will get gummed up and not run. Even if it only sits for a short period of time. Mine right now I was using it almost every weekend now doesn't run due to the carb being gummed up. Was told it's a common issue on them. I need to fix mine and ride it around

|

9/10/2017 1:19 PM

Get a Grom

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

9/10/2017 4:29 PM

no, Honda small engines are not reliable at all....sheesh!

|

9/10/2017 4:44 PM

Mine has FI, no carb. They are called Zoomer here, but the same thing.
Mine has been reliable. Changed the battery once and the drive belt (no chain on these).

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

9/10/2017 4:44 PM

Godnick993 wrote:

They are cool for the pits but only issue id say is if you don't use it a lot the carb will get gummed up and not run. Even if it only sits for a short period of time. Mine right now I was using it almost every weekend now doesn't run due to the carb being gummed up. Was told it's a common issue on them. I need to fix mine and ride it around

Are you premixing your fuel or something? I know guys who only use theirs every other weekend or so here in our little waterfront "vacation community" and almost not at all during the winters and they start and run like champs!

Seriously, though, if you are having issues it may be that you are somehow getting E-85 fuel or worse. That shit is horrible on smaller engines. I get our fuel delivered here on the farm and I keep a 100 gallon tank just for non-ethanol fuel for our four wheelers and other small engines. Makes a huge difference.

I also run this religiously in my street bike and scooters. It may sound like snake oil but it works wonders.

Photo

|

9/10/2017 4:46 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Get a Grom

Grom has a clutch. Real pit bikes don't have a clutch, so that you can hold things....like a beer.

|

9/10/2017 5:01 PM

Katoomey wrote:

no, Honda small engines are not reliable at all....sheesh!

I hope you're being sarcastic

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

9/10/2017 5:10 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Get a Grom

Iridereallyslow wrote:

Grom has a clutch. Real pit bikes don't have a clutch, so that you can hold things....like a beer.

Yes, and with the aftermarket kit for under seat storage, many beers can come along for the trip. In all seriousness though, I was just asking to see if these little scoots were reliable. They look to be built pretty solid for a scooter....

|

9/10/2017 5:11 PM

Why not just a real pit bike so much more fun.

|

9/10/2017 5:13 PM

Godnick993 wrote:

They are cool for the pits but only issue id say is if you don't use it a lot the carb will get gummed up and not run. Even if it only sits for a short period of time. Mine right now I was using it almost every weekend now doesn't run due to the carb being gummed up. Was told it's a common issue on them. I need to fix mine and ride it around

APLMAN99 wrote:

Are you premixing your fuel or something? I know guys who only use theirs every other weekend or so here in our little waterfront "vacation community" and almost not at all during the winters and they start and run like champs!

Seriously, though, if you are having issues it may be that you are somehow getting E-85 fuel or worse. That shit is horrible on smaller engines. I get our fuel delivered here on the farm and I keep a 100 gallon tank just for non-ethanol fuel for our four wheelers and other small engines. Makes a huge difference.

I also run this religiously in my street bike and scooters. It may sound like snake oil but it works wonders.

Photo

Seafoam is great stuff! Curious though, how much to how many gallons? I keep that stuff in the shop at all times.....

|

9/10/2017 5:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2017 5:28 PM

Everything Honda makes is good!

|

9/10/2017 6:22 PM

Godnick993 wrote:

They are cool for the pits but only issue id say is if you don't use it a lot the carb will get gummed up and not run. Even if it only sits for a short period of time. Mine right now I was using it almost every weekend now doesn't run due to the carb being gummed up. Was told it's a common issue on them. I need to fix mine and ride it around

APLMAN99 wrote:

Are you premixing your fuel or something? I know guys who only use theirs every other weekend or so here in our little waterfront "vacation community" and almost not at all during the winters and they start and run like champs!

Seriously, though, if you are having issues it may be that you are somehow getting E-85 fuel or worse. That shit is horrible on smaller engines. I get our fuel delivered here on the farm and I keep a 100 gallon tank just for non-ethanol fuel for our four wheelers and other small engines. Makes a huge difference.

I also run this religiously in my street bike and scooters. It may sound like snake oil but it works wonders.

Photo

dadofagun wrote:

Seafoam is great stuff! Curious though, how much to how many gallons? I keep that stuff in the shop at all times.....

I actually just throw a splash in every other tank and then every tank as it gets closer to winter. Kind of like mixing a drink without shot glasses, just eyeball it. Seems to work out fine for the last several years!

I've only used it in fuel, not in the crankcase. I may try it in the spring on my bike and scooter before changing the oil on them, though.

|

9/10/2017 6:23 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Everything Honda makes is good!

My 85 Elite 150 scooter agrees with you.........

|

9/10/2017 6:39 PM

The front suspension on the Rukus is awful, but apart from that, it's pretty solid.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

9/10/2017 6:54 PM

Thanks guys. Found a stock 08 with 1600 miles for 1100 bucks, guess I'll give it a go.... can't expect much for that price these days. But it is very clean, so why not?

|

9/10/2017 7:51 PM

Seafoam dosing : about, yeh , that much.
Hell I've even fixed a dead battery with seafoam. I'm willing to bet Seafoam is 51 percent "adrenaline". It's a common additive in IV bags

|

9/10/2017 7:52 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Everything Honda makes is good!

APLMAN99 wrote:

My 85 Elite 150 scooter agrees with you.........

.....the Honda cub I purchased for my daughters would not die!

|

9/10/2017 9:25 PM

People swap 2 stroke motors into them. That's what makes them appealing to me.

|

9/10/2017 9:40 PM

kott0n wrote:

People swap 2 stroke motors into them. That's what makes them appealing to me.

I can see some of the appeal with that, but I have to admit that if it's used on the street I'd just go with a big bore 150 in it. It's kinda nice to be able to just fuel up at the gas station without having to worry about mixing your gas and oil..........

My old Honda 150 will hit 60 measured by GPS with my fat ass on it. That's about as fast as I'd want to go with those small wheels. Switching to a 2 stroke wouldn't do anything extra except for sound good to me.

|

9/10/2017 9:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2017 9:49 PM

kott0n wrote:

People swap 2 stroke motors into them. That's what makes them appealing to me.

APLMAN99 wrote:

I can see some of the appeal with that, but I have to admit that if it's used on the street I'd just go with a big bore 150 in it. It's kinda nice to be able to just fuel up at the gas station without having to worry about mixing your gas and oil..........

My old Honda 150 will hit 60 measured by GPS with my fat ass on it. That's about as fast as I'd want to go with those small wheels. Switching to a 2 stroke wouldn't do anything extra except for sound good to me.

I agree with you. It would be the conversation factor and the sound.

Even stock, the mpg they offer is of course the draw to them.

|

9/10/2017 9:51 PM

Look at these and how they do the pipe routing, sweet!

Photo

|