2019 Honda CRF450R Works Edition Testing: Day 2 Update

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2018 7:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2018 3:40 PM

Hey guys. Just picked up the new Honda CRF450RWE last week and finally had a chance to take it out for its first rip this weekend. Since there was so much positive feedback on my last GoPro, I decided to grab some clips and make a little "first ride impressions" video on the day. Gotta say, Honda absolutely killed it with this beast! If you guys enjoy the video and want to see some more, I'll definitely continue to film the process of dialing in the bike on other tracks over the next few weeks and getting it race-ready for the upcoming National season.

Day 2 Update:
Today I took the bike out to 74 Family Fun Park which is another track literally four miles down the road from FTT. This place is a bit sandier and tends to get a lot rougher than FTT as well as being super high-speed, so it was a great day for testing! I started off with the settings I ended with last weekend at FTT which were as follows:

Fork Rebound: 2 clicks out from stock (faster)
Fork Compressions: 2 clicks in from stock (stiffer)
Shock Low Speed Compression: 2 clicks out from stock (Softer)
Rear Sag: 107mm
Bar mounts in the forward position with the offset backwards (you essentially have 4 positions you can achieve with the 2 mounting points and offset bar mounts. If 1 was the farthest forward and 4 was the farthest backward, I have mine in setting 2)

Everything else was left in the stock setting. Right off the bat I was getting some serious front-end twitchiness which I ended up chasing for most of the day. I decided it was a rear-end issue and started going to town on some clicker settings, but nothing was really working until I arrived at the shock rebound. Can't believe I didn't notice how dang fast the rebound is from factory! I slowed that down four clicks and it immediately felt better. I could tell it settled the rear end down a lot coming into rough corners which made the front feel a lot more stable as well.

I didn't end up getting any commentary today like I did from FTT last weekend, hence my type-up. Tomorrow i'll make an effort to document the process better throughout the day. Nonetheless, here's a couple laps from today:

Day 2: 74 Family Fun Park

Day 1: Florida Tracks and Trails
|

11/13/2018 7:22 AM

Not at all jealous! What track is that? Thanks for sharing

|

11/13/2018 7:35 AM

Nice ! Been on the fence on picking one up. Looking forward to more of your upcoming vids & feedback..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/13/2018 7:46 AM

Did your mate say his KXF was Boring??

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

11/13/2018 7:57 AM

Great videos! Would you mind sharing which go pro mount you’re using? The angle and POV is excellent.

|

11/13/2018 8:05 AM

I was waiting for you to send that small table in to the sandwhoops every lap

|

11/13/2018 8:16 AM

Excellent video and input about what you went through during the day, thanks!

|

11/13/2018 8:48 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

Did your mate say his KXF was Boring??

I believe he said "it's foreign" at the end not "it's boring". He was a long-time Honda rider and just recently made the switch over to green.

|

11/13/2018 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2018 8:56 AM

JohnMatrix wrote:

Great videos! Would you mind sharing which go pro mount you’re using? The angle and POV is excellent.

Thanks John! I actually rigged up my own mount using a spare Bell mouth piece, a standard GoPro mount, and some JB weld. In the second picture, I have it mounted in the upward position so that the camera is sitting right in front of my mouth. I thought that would look better, but I actually ended up punching it pretty often when I would go to scrub jumpsdizzy So in this video, I have the mount flipped upside down so it dangles underneath my chin like the first photo.Photo PhotoPhoto
Photo

|

11/13/2018 9:41 AM

Very nice! I’ll have to rig something up like that

|

11/13/2018 9:44 AM

Definitely looking forward to more content.

|

11/13/2018 10:33 AM

Thanks for posting, great video, look forward to more. Awesome bike.

|

11/13/2018 10:35 AM

Beeby wrote:

Looks like Florida tracks and trails but not 100% sure.

|

11/13/2018 10:51 AM

sick, keep the videos going!

|

11/13/2018 10:51 AM

Hey it's the fast 841! Doing any supercross this year?

|

11/13/2018 11:59 AM

Beeby wrote:

chasestevenson599 wrote:

Looks like Florida tracks and trails but not 100% sure.

Yep, it's Florida Tracks and Trails in Punta Gorda, Florida

|

11/13/2018 12:02 PM

That track looks like a video game/dream. Glad you are enjoying the Honda they are great bikes.

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

11/13/2018 12:06 PM

LumpDog841 wrote:

Hey it's the fast 841! Doing any supercross this year?

No plans for SX right now. Logistically it just doesn't make sense for me. The closest supercross track for me to practice on is Hampshire's and he's about 3 hours from me. It's even hard for me to find time between classes to hit the local MX tracks. Not to mention SX is expensive! If a smaller team reached out to me I'd definitely go for it, but it's unlikely.

|

11/13/2018 1:04 PM

Good call about the rear being a little softer, as with most Hondas sag is so critical, and a 1mm here or there makes a difference, very sensitive to change. Motor wise I 100% agree with you, its so sick it isnt funny but yet it isnt uncontrollable either.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

11/13/2018 2:33 PM

Great video and your riding is on point but damn son. You need to slow down a little. You go so fast you don't even have time to enjoy the scenery. laughing You need to ride like me so you can get a good look at everything.laughing

|

11/13/2018 5:16 PM

Lastander wrote:

I was waiting for you to send that small table in to the sandwhoops every lap

I did it a few times when it was new, but the first whoop is so small that even a perfect landing is a big impact. Kept getting flats haha. Maybe I’ll send it for the next GoPro!

|

11/13/2018 6:18 PM

Very cool video and great riding.

For those looking for a mount like what you’re running, check out the So Pro mount. It straps around the mouth piece and fits a Bell Moto9 well.

https://sopromounts.com

|

11/13/2018 10:31 PM

Jeff..... I'm really digging that go-pro view. Actually making me think of how I could mount mine. Mine is a cylinder shaped camera kind of like the reflexHD. Nice riding btw.... really enjoy your videos.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Ezza is Da man!

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

11/14/2018 2:24 AM

JeffWalker841 wrote:

Hey guys. Just picked up the new Honda CRF450RWE last week and finally had a chance to take it out for its first rip this ...more

This is a great video, with exactly the kind of details we want from Pro´s. Good work!

|

11/14/2018 12:53 PM

JeffWalker841 wrote:

Hey guys. Just picked up the new Honda CRF450RWE last week and finally had a chance to take it out for its first rip this ...more

Dear Mr Walker

You ride that 450 like I ride a 125! Great video. Great riding. Great bike.

I’m going to go to my secret place now and think about my life.

Regards

Barry McSlow

|

11/15/2018 3:36 AM

Nice bike, nice riding, nice edit, thanks for sharing.

|

11/15/2018 5:59 AM

Cool, video!! I just got one and it’s rained every day since I got it.

Where did you get your Renthal -DID decals? I need some for mine. Photo

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

11/15/2018 6:30 AM

Racer111 wrote:

Where did you get your Renthal -DID decals? I need ...more

Throttle jockey, or any graphic company.

|

11/15/2018 6:41 AM

Racer111 wrote:

Man.. You guys are making it hard not to pull the trigger on one. Might have to make a trip to the dealer on Black Friday to see if they're willing to deal...

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/15/2018 12:05 PM

Racer111 wrote:

H4L wrote:

Man.. You guys are making it hard not to pull the trigger on one. Might have to make a trip to the dealer on Black Friday to ...more

yup, if there are any left ...

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L