Honda CRF trail bikes get (more expensive).

early
Fantasy
2231st
11/6/2018 2:55pm
Signing up on Vital MX: $0
Buying a 2019 CRF250F: $4599
The chance to clean other guys boots: Priceless
dcg141
11/6/2018 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 3:22pm
Honda had no choice. The old CRF's were grandfathered with their emissions. That ran out and the choice was either update or drop them. No way to make them meet current emissions with carbs. Kawasaki dropped the venerable KLR 650 for the same reason. Yamaha has some decisions to make with TTR's at some point also.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/6/2018 3:28pm
kxkid715 wrote:
TTT

Could use another laugh or two.

Good job Honda

Honda putting EFI on the trail bikes was worth it just for this thread Laughing
STLSharky
11/6/2018 3:37pm
kiwifan wrote:
Isn't just about every bike slowly creeping up in price every year? Labour, shipping and manufacturing costs certainly do.
so does that mean add cruise control just because you can?

The Shop

drt410
11/6/2018 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 3:44pm
I guess I'm old school, I like simplicity. I'll take a carb over FI any day. I've even converted my FI Harley to carburetor. It seems...
I guess I'm old school, I like simplicity. I'll take a carb over FI any day. I've even converted my FI Harley to carburetor. It seems overkill to have it on a kids trail bike.
FI is actually simpler tho. Less moving parts and then nothing to clean, jet, adjust.
drt410
11/6/2018 3:45pm
dcg141 wrote:
Honda had no choice. The old CRF's were grandfathered with their emissions. That ran out and the choice was either update or drop them. No way...
Honda had no choice. The old CRF's were grandfathered with their emissions. That ran out and the choice was either update or drop them. No way to make them meet current emissions with carbs. Kawasaki dropped the venerable KLR 650 for the same reason. Yamaha has some decisions to make with TTR's at some point also.
So what about ktm with their 2 strokes?
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
11/6/2018 3:47pm
jsmi33966 wrote:
Yes my dad truly loves working on his bike and I don't mind it. I also take pride in not being a little millennial wimp who...
Yes my dad truly loves working on his bike and I don't mind it. I also take pride in not being a little millennial wimp who cant clean or jet a carburator.
zehn wrote:
Wow bro you’re a real bad ass. Not being a millennial wimp really makes me respect you
jsmi33966 wrote:
Yes it should
How old are you?
11/6/2018 3:49pm
Kind of crazy that most of these bikes still have drum brakes. Glad they updated them.
dcg141
11/6/2018 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 4:34pm
dcg141 wrote:
Honda had no choice. The old CRF's were grandfathered with their emissions. That ran out and the choice was either update or drop them. No way...
drt410 wrote:
So what about ktm with their 2 strokes?
They fall under the "competition" clause. Remember the decal you took off of your MX bike that said for closed course use only? The CRF's don't qualify as they are sold as trail bikes. I have no doubt these bikes are Cali Green Sticker units also.
TeamGreen
11/6/2018 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 4:37pm
How is it we’re confusing dependability with bad maintenance and foolish storage methods? Anyone care to explain to me...in what universe is FI “less dependable”?

Oh, and why is it people can’t get use to the idea of using fuel stabilizers or learning how to “put their bike away” correctly?

Better, yet...maybe learn to put CLEAN FUEL in their bikes?

Now...for those that are making claims of Machismo:
HowTF is it a reflection on a rider if they do or don’t work on their own bike?
Let you in on a little secret, I’ll more often than not PAY someone that’s REALLY GOOD at maintaining and servicing my bike...WAY BETTER THAN ME! Now, if that makes me some kinda “puss” or “whimp”?
Fine.
Just remember that when YOU’RE the one broken down on the trail and I’M the one with the well equipped trail-pack!
Sideways
kiwifan
11/6/2018 4:47pm
kiwifan wrote:
Isn't just about every bike slowly creeping up in price every year? Labour, shipping and manufacturing costs certainly do.
STLSharky wrote:
so does that mean add cruise control just because you can?
No, because cruise control makes zero sense whereas EFI makes perfect sense
11/6/2018 4:54pm
I guess I'm old school, I like simplicity. I'll take a carb over FI any day. I've even converted my FI Harley to carburetor. It seems...
I guess I'm old school, I like simplicity. I'll take a carb over FI any day. I've even converted my FI Harley to carburetor. It seems overkill to have it on a kids trail bike.
drt410 wrote:
FI is actually simpler tho. Less moving parts and then nothing to clean, jet, adjust.
Less moving parts? FI bikes need a fuel pump, sensors, more wiring, etc. My carbed bikes have none of that and the only wiring is for the ignition. If there is a running problem with a FI bike it can sometimes be very hard to diagnose. Carbs draw fuel and air from the vacuum created by the engine, no extra bs needed. I fail to see how FI is simpler. You dont gotta clean jets if you actually use your equipment or run fuel stabilizer when you arent.
kiwifan
11/6/2018 5:01pm
drt410 wrote:
Less moving parts? FI bikes need a fuel pump, sensors, more wiring, etc. My carbed bikes have none of that and the only wiring is for...
Less moving parts? FI bikes need a fuel pump, sensors, more wiring, etc. My carbed bikes have none of that and the only wiring is for the ignition. If there is a running problem with a FI bike it can sometimes be very hard to diagnose. Carbs draw fuel and air from the vacuum created by the engine, no extra bs needed. I fail to see how FI is simpler. You dont gotta clean jets if you actually use your equipment or run fuel stabilizer when you arent.
You make some fair points, EFI is simpler in that you do not need to constantly optimise the fuel/air flow. It is however a little more complex to diagnose problems (as you stated), plus although you may not have to clean jets you may (on odd occasions) have to clean injectors
keepoffgrass
11/6/2018 5:58pm
jsmi33966 wrote:
Who the hell needs EFI on a mini trail bike? I got so pissed when I saw this I did not look up the price difference...

Who the hell needs EFI on a mini trail bike?
I got so pissed when I saw this I did not look up the price difference. Next will be dual exhaust on a 50.

I won't be buying Honda out of resent for the impact of stupid EFI trail bikes on ridership.
I also heard they are going liquid-cooled in 2020...
Xeno
11/6/2018 7:18pm
Okay, another great chat fellas!
Broseph
11/6/2018 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 8:00pm
For $300 you're getting fuel injection, 20ish more ccs, 0.6 point more compression, two extra valves (it's now a 4 valve head), a balancer shaft, larger forks (41mm, up from 37mm), a rear disk brake, and some sweet CRF styling.

Worth it!
11/6/2018 9:16pm
Ya how dare honda try and progress the sport and make bikes better...morons. Just keep pumping out the same thing year after year until people stop buying your stuff and then go bankrupt because every other manufacturer is going forward with technology. We need more bikes with point and condenser setups and steel handlebars that are 14 feet wide. Do you also hate honda for coming out with a fuel injected generator? Carbs are dead technology, and they have to many variables when they don't work right. They do still have their place in today's era though and jetting one (or a stack of 4) properly has become an art, which i think is cool.

I love what honda is doing and can't wait to see what the other oems do in response to it. I love that part of this sport with how manufactures try to come out with new technology and try to one up each other. I also happen to think the old stuff is cool too and can appreciate it even though I'm only 30. The older genetation still like the old stuff because it's what they grew up riding and It's awesome what the oems are doing to cater to them...just look at kawis z900rs and Honda bringing back the monkey and cub. They both did an amazing job capturing the "old school" look while also incorporating "new school technology". I can't wait to so see who's going to come out with what next.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/6/2018 10:22pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I am a "baby boomer" and you are grasping at straws. Some of us can afford to buy the better and more expensive stuff and maybe...
I am a "baby boomer" and you are grasping at straws. Some of us can afford to buy the better and more expensive stuff and maybe you will understand when you grow up and move out of your parents house and contribute something to society. Now go do your homework before your mom takes away your internet. Laughing
jsmi33966 wrote:
You don't contribute anything to society and I know you live with your parents. Go smoke some cigarettes and pollute the ozone layer babyboomer. My mom...
You don't contribute anything to society and I know you live with your parents. Go smoke some cigarettes and pollute the ozone layer babyboomer. My mom died when she got ran over by a babyboomer, thanks for bringing that up and bringing moms into it.
early wrote:
wow
LOL ,well at least its past his bed time so we wont hear from him again until schools out tomorrow.
hubbardmx50
11/6/2018 10:50pm
Lots of wear parts inside of carburetors that cost money too. Gas out here in CA with ethanol definitely does not make those parts last. Can't wait to ride a 110 in the mountains and actually have it run good.
11/6/2018 11:59pm
jsmi33966 wrote:
You don't contribute anything to society and I know you live with your parents. Go smoke some cigarettes and pollute the ozone layer babyboomer. My mom...
You don't contribute anything to society and I know you live with your parents. Go smoke some cigarettes and pollute the ozone layer babyboomer. My mom died when she got ran over by a babyboomer, thanks for bringing that up and bringing moms into it.
early wrote:
wow
lostboy819 wrote:
LOL ,well at least its past his bed time so we wont hear from him again until schools out tomorrow.
I think he could care less. He's a stud
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
11/7/2018 12:43pm
Broseph wrote:
For $300 you're getting fuel injection, 20ish more ccs, 0.6 point more compression, two extra valves (it's now a 4 valve head), a balancer shaft, larger...
For $300 you're getting fuel injection, 20ish more ccs, 0.6 point more compression, two extra valves (it's now a 4 valve head), a balancer shaft, larger forks (41mm, up from 37mm), a rear disk brake, and some sweet CRF styling.

Worth it!
I had a CRF230 for a buddy/kids training bike for awhile and it had wimpy brakes and lean jetting I had to fix. I am happy for the substantive update beyond the EPA required FI. The updates are perfect to fix the weak links and pull in new riders that won’t get frustrated with the older models.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
11/7/2018 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2018 1:25pm
jsmi33966 wrote:
Yes my dad truly loves working on his bike and I don't mind it. I also take pride in not being a little millennial wimp who...
Yes my dad truly loves working on his bike and I don't mind it. I also take pride in not being a little millennial wimp who cant clean or jet a carburator.
Something tells me you're just fishing, but I'll bite.

Technically the birth years for a "millennial" are 1982-2000. Assuming that you are in fact older than that (+36) don't feel too bad. The internet is hard for people your age.

Loosen your kidney belt gramps.

Edit: revised the years to match the United States Census Bureau
Frank
11/7/2018 1:49pm
This entire thread is about bikes no one would take to a motocross track and race. Why is this even a topic of discussion?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
11/7/2018 2:20pm
Frank wrote:
This entire thread is about bikes no one would take to a motocross track and race. Why is this even a topic of discussion?
Do you even care about ridership?
kb228
11/7/2018 2:31pm
WOW! step off the ledge and calm down 2018 CRF 230F = $4299 MSRP updated FI equipped CRF 250F = $4599 MSRP A $300 increase for...
WOW! step off the ledge and calm down

2018 CRF 230F = $4299 MSRP
updated FI equipped CRF 250F = $4599 MSRP

A $300 increase for updated styling and fuel injection. Honda should actually be applauded!!

$300 is about the price for a carb clean when your 230F has been sitting unridden for a few months and all of a sudden it's riding season and your bike won't start or runs like crap...which is VERY common for those bikes and the people that buy and use them.
I agree with everything you said but bro... i had a shop clean AND jet my 250F for $60. Dont try to tell people a carb clean is $300
kb228
11/7/2018 2:32pm
Frank wrote:
Rednecks in blue jeans and work boots at the gate in a pitter race would disagree
Frank
11/7/2018 2:35pm
Frank wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
Do you even care about ridership?
Not one fucking bit lol
11/7/2018 3:11pm
Why is everyone complaining of Honda advancing technology for their trail bikes and only raising the price a few hundred?

Should we just go back to the dual shocks and two stroke days?

Post a reply to: Honda CRF trail bikes get (more expensive).

The Latest