Homeschooling

CivBars
Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 7:12pm
Be honest. How many of these questions did you get right?

Does Homeschooling work? ft. Hunter Yoder

|
Shawn142
7/2/2019 8:48pm
I'd say he's more on the ball than most kids in public school.
aeffertz
7/2/2019 9:27pm
I went to college and I even forgot some of that shit at this point. Props to him for agreeing to do that!
Sonny
7/2/2019 9:29pm
Yeah, he did well. But opting for traditional schooling is probably a good idea.
7/2/2019 9:29pm
Homeschooling can be good if done right. However I wonder how many kids were homeschooled in hopes they would become the next big thing and fail and then regret it later in life.
I guess you could always become a SX commentator tho 🤣

The Shop

oldblood
7/2/2019 10:01pm
My kids go to public schools. They had never heard of Winston Churchill, and are being taught that aids was created by scientists.
What a joke.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3875th
7/2/2019 10:22pm
Swap, please do these videos with amateurs and current pros Laughing

Off topic, but its so wild how similar Yoder looks to Andrew Silverstein on a bike. Silverstein was a ripper in so-cal and ran 58 on a Honda with Fox Grinning
racerx317
7/3/2019 12:47am
We are doing it a little different with a private school at home. So, you can choose to go to the brick and mortar building or choose to do it from home with direct contact with an assigned supervisor and tutors. We found this to be head and shoulders better than public schools. My son scored 2 grades behind on the private school’s entry exam when we started the program. He had to go without a summer break for 2 years to get caught up. By the time he was up to their standards he was completing basic Trig in 9th grade.
There are a lot of crappy homeschool programs out there, and then there are ones that really do an amazing job and a public school is a joke in comparison. I’m super glad we chose this path as I believe my son is much better prepared for his post HighSchool life after next year.
cody41
7/3/2019 3:33am
I feel like home schooled kids don’t fully develop their social skills.
sandtrack315
7/3/2019 3:40am
Homeschooling can be good if done right. However I wonder how many kids were homeschooled in hopes they would become the next big thing and fail...
Homeschooling can be good if done right. However I wonder how many kids were homeschooled in hopes they would become the next big thing and fail and then regret it later in life.
I guess you could always become a SX commentator tho 🤣
I did independent study during high school in hopes of getting fast enough to make a living racing. I didn’t get fast enough. Then I went to Columbia. They actually recruit ex athletes and veterans to get some “non traditional” students. I’m a neuroscientist at University of Pennsylvania now. My story is likely rare but homeschooling isn’t a death sentence.
7/3/2019 4:29am
I think Ping replied to the homeschooling question like this “a homeschool degree means almost as much as sandwich artist of the month to potential colleges or employers” sage words.
racerx317
7/3/2019 4:57am
I think Ping replied to the homeschooling question like this “a homeschool degree means almost as much as sandwich artist of the month to potential colleges...
I think Ping replied to the homeschooling question like this “a homeschool degree means almost as much as sandwich artist of the month to potential colleges or employers” sage words.
Ping is mostly awesome, but on this subject he’s pretty ignorant if what you say is true. Our program graduates go to some of the best schools in the country to college. NeuroMaxwell above looks like he went to Columbia and now works at another great college... so, I’d say Ping’s alleged comments are very much busted. Additionally, it’s kind of hard to fake ACT and SAT scores.
The public schools where I pulled my son out of were ranked in the top of the country... yet the kids are well behind the ones in our private homeschool program. I’d take our program of an advanced level any day over public school.

racerx317
7/3/2019 5:07am
cody41 wrote:
This is a common misconception. My son is involved in many things that have him interacting with a variety of different aged people on a daily basis. His friends near our house, at the MX Track, and he works 3 days a week at a K9 training facility with a training crew of Veterans to train dogs for police departments, personal protection, etc... he not only interacts with the other trainers, the owner of the company but then has to educate the dog owners as well how to properly handle their dogs. So, arguably he gets a much wider range of social exposure than a child simply going to public school.

On a smaller scale... there are many activities that homeschool kids get involved with that people don’t see. Activities that are not tied to school and some that are. For example: we have friends that do travel Hockey, baseball, girls in dance, competition cheer, etc... my son was on a Skeet shooting team that competed against all the local public schools... TONS of stuff to get involved with to say the least. The old... homeschool kids are not socialized is fake news, lol. The only reason that might happen is due to personal family decisions... these programs are all over the country.
TXDirt
7/3/2019 5:33am
Your first two years of college you will repeat the last three years of high school. High school is a joke. To be honest instead of three years of baby sitting, I mean high school, they should do two years in the reserves learning some life skills.

Then do two years of affordable community college. Then 2 years if desired at the big college to finish your degree.

Last year I completed as 9th grade. Never went to high school. So never attempted 10,11,12 grade. No home school. Traveled around country racing.

Later, got my GED, attended community college, transferred to University of Houston, graduated Magna Cum Laude in Information Systems.

High school is a joke. Kids are learning more by traveling around the country racing. The problem is too few ever go back to school once the dream of racing burns out.
7/3/2019 5:37am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 5:37am
Homeschooling is like any other product you invest in; find a company or people who are truly vested in it and have a legitimate structure, then you're likely to see positive results. Choose a "cheap" end option or fail to do your research on what the program delivers, then you can get sucked into a vortex with limited results and not much for the kid to gain. In terms of the social structure, that again comes down to how the parents or kids elect to structure that.

I believe most the of bag stigma from this comes from the enormous amount of families that decide Johnny Appleseed is the next Ryan Dungey, and make the decision to live at one of those training compounds 8 months a year well before that decision needs to be made. But, then again, parents will uproot their kids for sports like hockey, dump their kids in a boarding school for 5 years and let them graduate high school well past the age of 19 just so they might get that 40% college tuition remission in that sport. It's not just our sport that has these unrealistic parents and expectations.
HackMan162
7/3/2019 6:02am
Home schooling can be fine, and just as good/better than going to the brick and mortar school. However, from what I have surmised from talking to some of these kids at the track, some (50%???) are just being home schooled so they can ride all day and train. There is not studying going on. These kids, and the adults the become, are dumb as an ox.
sandtrack315
7/3/2019 6:29am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 6:32am
I agree that high school is a joke for most. I was valedictorian at Columbia against all the private school kids who got perfect grades. All it took was applying the discipline I learned while racing to academics.

Community colleges don’t care where you went to high school and you can transfer anywhere from there.
7/3/2019 6:35am
I think Ping replied to the homeschooling question like this “a homeschool degree means almost as much as sandwich artist of the month to potential colleges...
racerx317 wrote:
Ping is mostly awesome, but on this subject he’s pretty ignorant if what you say is true. Our program graduates go to some of the best...
Ping is mostly awesome, but on this subject he’s pretty ignorant if what you say is true. Our program graduates go to some of the best schools in the country to college. NeuroMaxwell above looks like he went to Columbia and now works at another great college... so, I’d say Ping’s alleged comments are very much busted. Additionally, it’s kind of hard to fake ACT and SAT scores.
The public schools where I pulled my son out of were ranked in the top of the country... yet the kids are well behind the ones in our private homeschool program. I’d take our program of an advanced level any day over public school.

I think homeschooling has come a long way, I would still prefer to send my child to a private or christian school for the education and discipline. If the homeschooling is being properly administered by a accreditted or at minimum, competent educator then all the better. I think the problem is homeschooling is being used by some parents as a free pass to allow their child, who they are confident is the next Ricky Carmichael, to ride or train all day. When said prodigy does not achieve stardom, they are left out in the cold with little to no education to fall back on, they'll be lucky to land a coveted industry job.
7/3/2019 7:23am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 7:27am
HackMan162 wrote:
Home schooling can be fine, and just as good/better than going to the brick and mortar school. However, from what I have surmised from talking to...
Home schooling can be fine, and just as good/better than going to the brick and mortar school. However, from what I have surmised from talking to some of these kids at the track, some (50%???) are just being home schooled so they can ride all day and train. There is not studying going on. These kids, and the adults the become, are dumb as an ox.
SwingHard
7/3/2019 7:46am
cody41 wrote:
racerx317 wrote:
This is a common misconception. My son is involved in many things that have him interacting with a variety of different aged people on a daily...
This is a common misconception. My son is involved in many things that have him interacting with a variety of different aged people on a daily basis. His friends near our house, at the MX Track, and he works 3 days a week at a K9 training facility with a training crew of Veterans to train dogs for police departments, personal protection, etc... he not only interacts with the other trainers, the owner of the company but then has to educate the dog owners as well how to properly handle their dogs. So, arguably he gets a much wider range of social exposure than a child simply going to public school.

On a smaller scale... there are many activities that homeschool kids get involved with that people don’t see. Activities that are not tied to school and some that are. For example: we have friends that do travel Hockey, baseball, girls in dance, competition cheer, etc... my son was on a Skeet shooting team that competed against all the local public schools... TONS of stuff to get involved with to say the least. The old... homeschool kids are not socialized is fake news, lol. The only reason that might happen is due to personal family decisions... these programs are all over the country.
Not sure where you live but, are home schooled kids allowed to play sports on what would be your area High School teams?
Robgvx
7/3/2019 8:23am
So do home schooled kids get taught by their parents?
wideroad
7/3/2019 8:24am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 8:25am
I'm guessing the results of a homeschool education likely depends on the parent's motives. Are parents homeschooling their kids because they think they can educate their kids better or because education is a burden to their other goals?

A child with parents that prioritize education, invest their time, and energy, into their education is likely going to succeed in either educational format.
ti473
7/3/2019 8:34am
Sorry, but I'm not that impressed... Majority of those questions are like 2nd grade stuff.
racerx317
7/3/2019 8:43am
Robgvx wrote:
So do home schooled kids get taught by their parents?
Not so much anymore. There are several ways to do it... here are a few. 1. Traditional homeschool where the parent picks the curriculum and helps the child. 2. Virtual schools where the child does all or most of the work online. In these situations the parents normally don’t need to do much of anything as there are tutors that the students can FaceTime with to get guidance. 3. A private school education at home. The student works with a supervisor and a variety of specialty tutors over the phone or FaceTime. Again, in this instance there is very minimal parental #3 is what we chose that best suited us with a fully accredited private high school. They give him three examples of how to do a math problem... he looks at each way to see what suits his mind the best... and that’s why he was doing Trig already in 9th grade. The level of education with our program is outstanding.
CivBars
7/3/2019 8:49am
ti473 wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not that impressed... Majority of those questions are like 2nd grade stuff.
How many of the questions did you know the answer to?
7/3/2019 8:55am
CivBars wrote:
Be honest. How many of these questions did you get right? Does Homeschooling work? ft. Hunter Yoder
Be honest. How many of these questions did you get right?

Does Homeschooling work? ft. Hunter Yoder

Way to go Hunty!! Being this kids mom, I know he would love to be in public school right now. Hunter thrives in school, and he’s always been on honor roll. Unfortunately, our public schools do not tolerate the amount of time he needs to take to race motocross. Hunter has always voiced his passion for Moto ever since he was 2 years old. He started racing at 5, and was in public schools until 8th grade. Homeschool has its benefits though as well. He gets to do all the fun stuff and work as fast as he wants. He is currently in summer school to try to get ahead for next year. Anyways, public school would be fun for him, but Moto is his life! Way to go Hunter on all your right questions, now I know what we need to study up on #scienceclassherewecome
ti473
7/3/2019 8:56am
ti473 wrote:
CivBars wrote:
All of them, expect a couple of the science questions, and the bat one. And I'm a dumbass.
CivBars
7/3/2019 9:22am
ti473 wrote:
CivBars wrote:
ti473 wrote:
All of them, expect a couple of the science questions, and the bat one. And I'm a dumbass.
Here's your Gold Star. Congratulations!

TXDirt
7/3/2019 9:32am
Got my AMA Pro card I believe a few weeks before my 18th birthday. Can't recall exact timing. Finished up at LL and then hit Millville, Binghamton, and Steel City.

You?

Post a reply to: Homeschooling

The Latest